thinking of returning mine! the thing that i loved the most about blackberry is their amazing top row of buttons with trackpad, menu, send and back key - now it's removed and makes it increbidly inconvinient to execute basic funtions. there is no one button to bring you to a default screen, it's so frustrating!! hate touch screen. just to see a new message it might take upto 4 swipes in different directions and a lot of concetration. started "losing" (not noticing ) new messages and email, just like i used to in iphone because if the red star dissapears sometimes before you even look at a new message/email..

among other things:
    contacts don't sync with gmail
    no useful keyboard shortcuts like "silent mode"
    why emails are only in the hub and do not have an icon like evrything else (bbm, text messages etc..)?
    preloaded ringtones suck

there are 2 cool things for me with this phone that are stopping me from going back to an older version of bb.
    1. front video camera that allows video calling and skype
    2. amazing wireless sync with you desktop

beware tho!! - bq10 forced me to upgrade my operating system on mac and uprage iphoto cuz otherwise it wouldn't sync with my old os x and iphoto software. new os x messed up my parallels that i previously had instaleld and i had to upgrade that as well. all of that cost money, wasn't prepared.
    Because I so love my 9900 and prior bb's I am sad to hear these and other real concerns. I fear that rather than a renewal for BB (aka RIM) OS10 will prove to be a nail in its coffin.
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 07-23-13 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
    07-23-13 10:49 AM
    oh one more thing! i was so proud of my old bb as opposed to iphone that it had such a simple and useful function as "search" in notes. now notes are replaced by "remember" app that has a lot of new cool fetures but (!) doesn't have the basic option to search through your notes by keyword!! i was in shock. i have hundreds of notes and use them intensively, and now there is no way of finding the ones i need fast. with new entries you have to take an extra step to create "tags" and then use those tags for search..
    why blackberry added great new fetures to its phone but removed the best old ones?!!
    07-23-13 01:01 PM
    oh one more thing! i was so proud of my old bb as opposed to iphone that it had such a simple and useful function as "search" in notes. now notes are replaced by "remember" app that has a lot of new cool fetures but (!) doesn't have the basic option to search through your notes by keyword!! i was in shock. i have hundreds of notes and use them intensively, and now there is no way of finding the ones i need fast. with new entries you have to take an extra step to create "tags" and then use those tags for search..
    why blackberry added great new fetures to its phone but removed the best old ones?!!
    Sadly the list grows. Some things could be corrected in the OS but others are fundamental and will not be changed.

a bit off topic. I may be wrong but on the iPhone I cannot
    Search for a word on a web page. Yet I can easily on my 9900.
    07-23-13 01:51 PM
    Q10 and z10 aren't perfect but for a business device they work circles around the I phones and galaxy.

Posted via CB10
    rudyalexc likes this.
    07-23-13 11:06 PM
    Q10 and z10 aren't perfect but for a business device they work circles around the I phones and galaxy.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. And not even business itself, but productivity in general. Of course that's my opinion and I know many feel otherwise...

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10
    07-24-13 11:54 AM
    found the way around it. although no search bar in "remember" but you can search the whole phone and the remember entries are there as well..
    07-24-13 01:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Speak for yourself. As of now os10 does not meet my professional /social needs.

Sent from my IPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    07-24-13 01:28 PM

It depends on the user, I was a heavy social network user and texts/calls/emails and my Q10 does so much better overall compared to my iPhone. The Hub is one of the reasons why

Sent from my BlackBerry Q10
    07-24-13 02:46 PM
    Upgraded last night on O2 and took it back first thing this morning. What a disappointment that after 6 years of BB use that this "UPGRADE" is anything but. No push email to my O2 email addy, no Nat West banking app and definitely not an intuitive easy to use OS. Shame really but I think RIM will go the way of Nokia, used to be very good but not any more
    07-27-13 04:24 AM

Exactly. Each user is different. You have what works for YOU.
    07-27-13 04:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    I can understand how the Q10 with its keyboard is better than the i or the G, but for a business user ( at least this one and many others here) it is way behind the 9900. So I guess asking about OS 10 phones is like asking "How's your wife?" The answer is "Compared to what?"
    07-27-13 07:00 AM
    You can just side-load.
    If you're technically minded, fair enough. But for casual users like me who aren't particularly technically minded, we're stuck with the very few decent apps that are available for the Q10.

It's my own fault for not taking the device back straight away. I fell foul of believing the hype that there would soon be a lot more apps released - which there haven't been.
    07-28-13 11:18 AM
    " on the iPhone I cannot
    Search for a word on a web page. Yet I can easily on my 9900.[/QUOTE]

Yes you can, type the word you want to find on the search field (top right, right next to the navigation bar) and scroll down where it says "on this page"

As for returning the Q10, I returned mine because I already had a phone and owning two phones felt silly. Ended up re-purchasing a second hand unit at a much lower price weeks later, missed the physical keyboard and BB10 gestures and the hub.
    Last edited by eduardob; 07-28-13 at 07:30 PM.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-28-13 06:37 PM
    " on the iPhone I cannot
    Search for a word on a web page. Yet I can easily on my 9900.
    Yes you can, type the word you want to find on the search field (top right, right next to the navigation bar) and scroll down where it says "on this page".[/QUOTE]

Many thanks. Always good to learn something. Still I am not happy without a physical keyboard. The iPhone is my wife's. I will stick with the 9900.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    07-28-13 08:13 PM
    I returned my Q10 after one week. The story may not be over; we'll see.

I can do without most games and am not in general an app collector. But no Kindle app is a deal breaker at this point. I am doubly irritated by this since weeks before picking up the Q10, I checked their website to make sure BB10 had a Kindle app. My Torch did; Playbook did not (I eventually side loaded, which since I am not a techie, was a colossal pain in the **** to do.). Anyway I'd figured: Kindle is on BB10 + Q10 is a BB10 phone = Kindle will be available for Q10. WRONG! Only the Z10. Now, I am on a Windows 8 laptop, and ran into too many roadblocks trying to side load. Why is this only on the Z10?? Sure the screen is small on the Q10, but heck, if I want to page down every 10 words, that's my business. (Also want Pandora as an app, not some silly sim of Pandora.) These are mainstream items that should have been near the top of Blackberry's priority list. RIM has taken a pounding for at least three years for poor app selection. One would hope the new platform would have shown some response to that outcry, but no - I have less available to me now than I did on my Torch (like MLB Baseball.)

A word about sideloading: it's a load of crap. I love that the fine folks at Goodereader have stepped into the breach, but after all this time, it is inexcusable that it's still necessary for the most basic of apps, and I think the third party approach has allowed RIM/ Blackberry to remain lazy in this area. Incentivize developers and get with the program or no one will care how quality the hardware is. Which I also question since my Playbook went the way of countless others and suddenly refused to take a charge, effectively becoming a $200 paperweight. I bought my Samsung Galaxy S3 the day after I had to yank the battery out of my 9810 four times (within the same morning) to get past a freeze.

In spite of these two strikes, I still thought enough of the devices before their demise to try again since I had hopes the new platform would addresses the previous endemic problems. So far, I'm not impressed.

Why have I still not permanently shut the door on Blackberry?

1). Tactile keyboard
    2). Multitasking capability
    3). The Hub
    4). Universal search. I cannot overstate how useful I have found this capability on both phones

Sound quality was outstanding and I thought the camera performed well, with nice editing options.

So would I consider buying the Q10 again in spite of the above listed shortcomings? Yes... but not at the $200 price with AT&T. This is NOT a $200 phone, it just isn't. Maybe $49, like I paid for my Torch, maybe even $99. But if I have to jump through hoops, work around deficiencies, and be inconvenienced with continued sideloading (assuming I can ever get it to work), I refuse to pay Android smartphone prices.

Will just have watch prices and developments and perhaps revisit the Q10 another day.
    07-29-13 05:40 PM
    Really?? The forum won't let me use the word b...u...t...t? Guaranteed that's what I typed up there!
    07-29-13 05:43 PM
    Lol...don't you love the censorship? haha!

Speaking to your problem with the Q10...I think it simply comes down to choosing between a physical keypad or screen real estate.

With real estate comes the need for ereader apps, but I don't think most people are using the q10 as an ereader.

As for the side loading, it's pretty easy as far as I have done with chrome, and the apps I have side loaded run pretty well, including Netflix.

Maybe the z10 is a better choice for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 08:02 PM
    Hi there,

It does have an ereader app - just not, you know, the most popular one on the planet lol! Is it going to be my first choice for Kindle? Of course not. I have an iPad, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 (7 inch), and a Kindle Touch. (And lest we forget, a defunct Playbook.) I'm not a complete neophyte gadget-wise. But when I'm stuck unexpectedly waiting somewhere, I like being able to pull up and access my book du jour from my phone.

Since my number one reason for not writing Blackberry off is a hard keyboard, the Z10 would NOT be a better choice for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting two models on the same platform to be comparable app-wise, though. The store should be universal to the brand.

I am glad sideloading is not a problem for you, but still feel that a company that wants to survive needs to give customers what they want... Not make customers do all the work on a phone at that price point.

I will say this for the phone... The browser experience was outstanding. With LTE, assuming I don't have access to wifi, using actual websites in lieu of unavailable apps is a sometimes-viable alternative.

I confess I missed the Q10 after returning it.
    FOIA Gras likes this.
    07-29-13 08:41 PM
    Hi there,

It does have an ereader app - just not, you know, the most popular one on the planet lol! Is it going to be my first choice for Kindle? Of course not. I have an iPad, a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 (7 inch), and a Kindle Touch. (And lest we forget, a defunct Playbook.) I'm not a complete neophyte gadget-wise. But when I'm stuck unexpectedly waiting somewhere, I like being able to pull up and access my book du jour from my phone.

Since my number one reason for not writing Blackberry off is a hard keyboard, the Z10 would NOT be a better choice for me. I don't think I'm being unreasonable in expecting two models on the same platform to be comparable app-wise, though. The store should be universal to the brand.

I am glad sideloading is not a problem for you, but still feel that a company that wants to survive needs to give customers what they want... Not make customers do all the work on a phone at that price point.

I will say this for the phone... The browser experience was outstanding. With LTE, assuming I don't have access to wifi, using actual websites in lieu of unavailable apps is a sometimes-viable alternative.

I confess I missed the Q10 after returning it.
    Yeah, I get the physical keyboard thing...I have both and love the q10. I think the devs should be approached with your concerns about having the same app on all bb10 devices...I'm on your side there.

As for side loading, I don't see as a "customer has to do the work" issue...it's quite clearly a bonus that the OS can run android apps as well...no other OS Can do this.

I'm typing this on the z10, while my q10 is whining....use me, use me,use me....lol

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:02 PM
    Lol! Like rival siblings! ;-p
    07-29-13 09:05 PM
    Lol! Like rival siblings! ;-p
    Hahahaha....well put!!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:11 PM

Understood, everyone has there preference. For me having 2 businesses with over 12 email addresses BlackBerry is the only fit for me. Multi tasking, file sharing, accessing 2 customer portals etc I couldn't imagine doing this with an I phone or a DROID. Keep in mind I have an I Pad and find it completely useless for multi tasking or any business applications for that matter. This is just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 09:35 PM
    I have tried several times on both the Z10 (the four units I had from 2 providers) had constant resets. So I decided to try the Q10, four of them! I today, I received authorization to return my latest Q10. I have been generally happy. I said from day 1 I needed Skype on the platform. Well today was the first day I got a very important Skype call and it was horrible!! I need Skype, so I will return, this my last Q10, and go back to my iPhone.
    07-30-13 09:43 PM
    I have an HTC one and just bought a BBq10. I may return it after my 14 day return period. Only because I don't want to carry around 2 phones all the time and the HTC one is my favorite phone ever. Q10 is amazing for emailing and texting and work but after that eh, like everyone else no apps and I do everything on the go as well and I always feel like something is missing when I have my SIM in my bb and my HTC one on the bench. Usually the screen size when I'm on the internet or using apps. The BBQ10 is a great phone but I don't think carrying around 2 phones all the time is something I can get used to, I will miss the Q10 a lot if I do bring it back though.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    08-02-13 04:47 PM
  25. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    After more than a month of trying to get used to the Q10 I went back to the old 9900 which drives me krazy with the active screen, but much better logic and functionality than the Q10.
    Blackberry has lost the race, not because of a bad product, but because it got suckered into competing in the active screen , social, gaming devices. The key board , cursors and buttons to operate and excellent, functional, logical, bussiness device, got slowly replaced by a senselees hybrid that is not one or the other, not pleasing a crowd looking for the entertainment of an active screen and totally dissapointing a client base looking for efficiency and logic in a tactile keyboard device.
    Do not know what I will do when they go out of bussiness ,, hope they do not..
    luis o revuelta m.
    08-02-13 10:36 PM
282 ... 23456 ...