Since BB is doing really bad financially and we might not get a company that updates our phones in the near future.
    Do you guys think that the resale value of the Z10 and the Q10 might get a hit too?
    Are we going to see a firesale of the unsold phones?
    Just a thought.
    09-21-13 06:57 PM
    Resale value for anything you buy diminishes over time.
    09-21-13 09:18 PM
    I don't buy things I want to resell them. I buy them to use them.

You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
    09-24-13 09:58 AM

lol, nicely said, thank you.
    09-24-13 10:00 AM

Same here. Before CrackBerry, I had no idea that the resale value of a phone meant anything to anyone.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 10:34 AM
    I have an old 8330 for sale, if anyone is willing to pay 200$ PM me. It comes with a case and a lots of scratches. You will look retro, it's awesome!
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    09-24-13 10:38 AM
    Since BB is doing really bad financially and we might not get a company that updates our phones in the near future.
    Do you guys think that the resale value of the Z10 and the Q10 might get a hit too?
    Just a thought.
    To answer your question, I believe the answer is yes, resale value will go down. While us "prosumers" and staunch Blackberry supporters will likely continue to love our devices, there is still the mass consumer market users that will likely be quicker to jump ship. The simple act of more people open to selling their Blackberries in favor of a less turbulent company's platform should drive down the prices on the secondary market.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 10:41 AM
    If resale value drops, new devices will be cheaper too. That's good for those of us who want to add a new device to our collection.
    09-24-13 10:44 AM
    Just a thought.
    The number of developers actually needed to provide updates for the Z10, Q10 and Q5 probably is not that great.
    Firesale - I hope so, I would like to pick up a cheap Q10 for my wife.
    09-24-13 12:58 PM

Agreed! Definitely you'd have to pry it out of my dead hands a s well!

Posted in CB forums and on Bbos leak 10.2.1047
    09-25-13 01:43 PM
    Don't know about the US/Canadian market for used phones, but around here the only phones which actually have a somewhat decent resale value are iPhones. Everything besides them have terrible resale prices, because retail prices for new phones are falling too fast.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    09-25-13 03:37 PM
    I genuinely love my BlackBerry Q10, I do miss the HD screen of my S4 I had a while ago and a few apps I used i.e. Sky Go & Instagram but it's just something about the Q10's premium quality overall feel and smart professional look I truly desire along with the keyboard!...

Pry my BlackBerry from my dead cold hands too!

Q10 on EE.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    09-25-13 04:06 PM
    Blackberry is a cell phone for the serious end user and masses can't find the value in that so they (android and Ios users)buy bull crap to keep them misinformed and entertained with bafoonery!!!
    Resale value-img_20130327_00114650.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Mrluky likes this.
    09-25-13 07:26 PM
    The resale value for these devices, esp now that Blackberry is exiting the consumer market and will be liquidating a billion dollars of Z10/Q10 is going to drop very far, very fast.
    Last edited by pkcable; 09-27-13 at 01:34 PM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-25-13 11:03 PM
    Buying any consumer goods, smartphones, cars & electronics, etc and asking what is the resale value gonna be like before even making the purchase, to me, is like asking what is the cost of divorce before getting married with someone...

The resale value will drop, just how much is a different matter altogether

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 12:04 AM
    Buying any consumer goods, smartphones, cars & electronics, etc and asking what is the resale value gonna be like before even making the purchase, to me, is like asking what is the cost of divorce before getting married with someone...

The resale value will drop, just how much is a different matter altogether

Posted via CB10
    What kind of comment is this?

On average, the next generation smartphone is usually released within a year. So, trading up is a constant business, selling your old phone and buying a new one.

The average car is probably help for 3-4. Resale value is a key factor in most people's purchase decisions.

People know they are replacing their devices and cars in a relatively short period of time. So resale value is definitely a factor. Who would be a product from a company that's exiting the business? Few and not for much.

As for marriage, one would hope that most people don't go into it expecting to get divorced, although that's what prenups are for.
    that_maynard likes this.
    09-26-13 06:34 AM
    What kind of comment is this?

On average, the next generation smartphone is usually released within a year. So, trading up is a constant business, selling your old phone and buying a new one.

The average car is probably help for 3-4. Resale value is a key factor in most people's purchase decisions.

People know they are replacing their devices and cars in a relatively short period of time. So resale value is definitely a factor. Who would be a product from a company that's exiting the business? Few and not for much.

As for marriage, one would hope that most people don't go into it expecting to get divorced, although that's what prenups are for.
    Yet it is a matter of fact that smartphone prices are going down faster than ever before. Nobody is paying more for a used phone than he could get a new phone for. Some examples:

Samsung Galaxy 4:
    April 2013, 670 EUR. Sep 2013, 475 EUR.

BlackBerry Z10:
    March 2013, 630 EUR. Sep 2013, 300 EUR.

BlackBerry Q10:
    May 2013, 670 EUR. Sep 2013, 520 EUR.

Lumia 925:
    July 2013, 600 EUR, Sep 2013, 380 EUR.

Nokia Lumia 920:
    Nov 2012, 630 EUR. Sep 2013, 270 EUR.

Samsung Galaxy Note 2:
    Sep 2012, 640 EUR. Sep 2013, 380 EUR.

Apple iPhone 5:
    Sep 2012, 680 EUR. Sep 2013, 580 EUR.

Apple iPhone 4S:
    Oct 2011, 630 EUR. Sep 2013, 500 EUR.

Samsung Galaxy S3:
    June 2012, 630 EUR. Sep 2013, 370 EUR.

As you can see, the only more or less stable phones are all Apple iPhone models. I heard from a bunch of people who sold their one year old iPhone 5's for 450-500 EUR in order to grab the new iPhone 5S.
    Try that with a just five months old Galaxy S4, you're lucky if you can get 400 EUR for it. Selling your BlackBerry Z10 bought half a year ago for roughly 600 EUR? Good luck getting more than 240 EUR for it on ebay today. Worst of all would be the Lumia 925. If you'd bought one for 600 EUR three months ago and are planning to upgrade to the new 1020, you can call yourself very, very lucky if somebody pays you 350 EUR for it.

The verdict, phone prices are dropping faster and faster. Only Apple seem to keep some sort of decent resale value for their iPhone series. So if you care about reselling, there just is no way around Apple. Nokia seems to be pretty bad, Samsung mediocre at best and BlackBerry is somewhere between those two.

09-26-13 07:05 AM
    The verdict, phone prices are dropping faster and faster. Only Apple seem to keep some sort of decent resale value for their iPhone series. So if you care about reselling, there just is no way around Apple. Nokia seems to be pretty bad, Samsung mediocre at best and BlackBerry is somewhere between those two. Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Unfortunately, Blackberry's resale used to be pretty good, generally in line with iPhone...not any more. Bye, bye.
    09-26-13 07:13 AM
    Unfortunately, Blackberry's resale used to be pretty good, generally in line with iPhone...not any more. Bye, bye.
    Used to be is the key here. I am aware of that, as I've been looking at getting a BlackBerry somewhen since late 2011 and the models were always pretty stable in terms of pricing. But things changed in dramatic ways, especially for legacy devices.
    Yet it is interesting to see how well both the Q10 and Q5 are doing. The question remains how much of a demand there is on the second hand market for these devices.

09-26-13 07:26 AM
    Don't buy something for the sole purpose of getting more money if you sell it, buy something to use!

Posted via CB10
    that_maynard likes this.
    09-26-13 07:29 AM
    Yet it is interesting to see how well both the Q10 and Q5 are doing. The question remains how much of a demand there is on the second hand market for these devices.
    The Q10 is DOA. Sales are a dribble. Of those that buy, people are returning in hordes (not that many buy). The company is writing off a billion dollars to liquidate the product and is exiting the business. The phone is a disaster.
    09-26-13 07:51 AM
    Don't buy something for the sole purpose of getting more money if you sell it, buy something to use!

Posted via CB10
    If there's a problem with the resale value, it means its usefulness is impaired, especially compared with competitive devices.
    09-26-13 07:52 AM
    ^This is what I meant with the whole marriage and divorce analogy

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 07:58 AM
    When I buy a phone I buy it because it has the necessary features that I know I want and thus I will use it for the long term (at least 2 years). This is very important because where I live, carriers do NOT subsidize the price of smartphones so if a smartphone company says their flagship will cost 700 bucks to own then well if I really want that smartphone I better come up with 700 dollars of cold hard cash.

So I do not see the point of buying a smartphone for short term ownership, which is for me less than 2 years. I knew the Z10 was going to drop its price when I bought it at launch (just didn't think it would nosedive to roughly 400 bucks where I live in 6 months) but I know I WILL use it for at least 2 years and I really wanted to get one at launch.

My previous smartphone was a mid range droid, well it was mid range 2 years ago, now it is barely baseline, but it still powers up nicely and relatively smooth and I still keep it because I knew when I bought it resale would most likely be pretty darn crap (and it is), I just let my brother use it since he doesn't need the latest and greatest as long as he can make phonecalls and Whatsapp.

So for people like me, I guess smartphone resale don't matter too much because in 2 years who knows what the value might be, but I am willing to bet it will be pretty crap, so why should I worry too much?

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:20 AM
    If there's a problem with the resale value, it means its usefulness is impaired, especially compared with competitive devices.
    The resale value has no effect on the usefulness of a device.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:52 AM
46 12