IMO, it's about planned obsolescence. Either push the user to a new phone (meaning money) or a hefty repair fee a la Apple (meaning money). The replaceable battery is freedom for the phone user.
    skstrials, Joshu42, bbnrs and 1 others like this.
    09-15-14 08:03 PM
    IMO, it's about planned obsolescence. Either push the user to a new phone (meaning money) or a hefty repair fee a la Apple (meaning money). The replaceable battery is freedom for the phone user.
    Exactly that's why phones without a removable battery are a no go for me. Also I'm not willing to be without my phone for a week just because the battery has gone down.
    09-15-14 08:57 PM
    No replaceable battery means no go for me.

The replaceable battery of the Galaxy S and Note models of Samsung is the reason I migrated from ios the other year. And the reason why I went back to BlackBerry for a secondary (work) phone the other month.

No range anxiety wherever I go with both my Note 3 and Q10.

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888, bbnrs and dmlis like this.
    09-16-14 01:41 AM
    No replaceable battery means no go for me.

The replaceable battery of the Galaxy S and Note models of Samsung is the reason I migrated from ios the other year. And the reason why I went back to BlackBerry for a secondary (work) phone the other month.

No range anxiety wherever I go with both my Note 3 and Q10.

Posted via CB10
    MVP

Rockin the Q
    09-16-14 04:05 PM
    The Classic with fixed battery? this could be a deal breaker for many, i still have several 9900's in service as they have been reliable and have removable battery, also the keyboard / screen is easy to replace no need to send away for repair,
    the Classic will solve the missing Track pad and function keys, will the keyboard equal
    the 9900 ? but non removable battery will be a mistake if done to save costs,
    the Classic is intended to encourage 9900 owners to switch to BB10
    why if certain features are missing.
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-16-14 07:25 PM
    The Classic with fixed battery? this could be a deal breaker for many, i still have several 9900's in service as they have been reliable and have removable battery, also the keyboard / screen is easy to replace no need to send away for repair,
    the Classic will solve the missing Track pad and function keys, will the keyboard equal
    the 9900 ? but non removable battery will be a mistake if done to save costs,
    the Classic is intended to encourage 9900 owners to switch to BB10
    why if certain features are missing.
    Bad decision on their part. You have two promising devices coming and yet both have a non removable battery although this has been one of the most praised features 😠
    09-16-14 08:58 PM
    I don't mind if battery is fixed as long as it will last through a day without plugging it in short periods of time.
    Could be for aesthetic /technical/engineering design that they're having it fix battery.
    Could be for sales. This will make people upgrade than just buy a battery especially those people who don't have time to wait for the phone to be repaired or replaced by technician.
    So instead of swapping batteries you'll have to use a powerbank or have those battery phone cases for extended battery life. I have never had to swap batteries as the q10 has enough battery life for me to last from 8am - 11pm. But I think mustbe very inconvenient for those who travel for few days and rely on extra battery.

via Q10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-16-14 11:17 PM
    I don't mind if battery is fixed as long as it will last through a day without plugging it in short periods of time.
    Could be for aesthetic /technical/engineering design that they're having it fix battery.
    Could be for sales. This will make people upgrade than just buy a battery especially those people who don't have time to wait for the phone to be repaired or replaced by technician.
    So instead of swapping batteries you'll have to use a powerbank or have those battery phone cases for extended battery life. I have never had to swap batteries as the q10 has enough battery life for me to last from 8am - 11pm. But I think mustbe very inconvenient for those who travel for few days and rely on extra battery.

via Q10
    It's obviusly ver convenient in a lot of ways. Say your battery has a problem you can fix it easily by buying a new one instead of sending it in or in my case drive 600 km to have it repaired. Another advantage are the bigger third party market batteries they give you more on screen time while still fitting with your device. I.e. The Curve default one is only 1.000 mah but there are ones with 2.250 mah

Personally for me this is a must have feature just like an SD card because I like to have my stuff organized (locally) and not havint to rely on the internet (don't trust the cloud). Another huge advantage is the ability to plan in advance if I know I have to attend a workshop for a few days while I ust pack in some extra batteries and chances are I never have to charge my phone there :-) so that means my Laptop can be plugged in all the time.

Companies will never provide the real reasons for not including a removable battery but personally I believe it is to force you to upgrade every two years and to save costs. As a matter of fact I've just seen a video on how to replace the battery on an Iphone it's really not that hard but still too much hazzle if you need to do it in a hurry or in a plane/train...
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-16-14 11:27 PM

via Q10
    I think that you and a majority of people that share this sentiment, have a pretty routine day/life. It doesn't matter how beautiful, powerful, or productive your phone is it ends up dead. That's the point we are making here. We are emphasizing the "just in case". We don't want to be huddled around outlets. We want seamless and effortless continuity with how our time is spent.

We want phones that keep up with us, that's there for us every step of the way.

Rockin the Q
    09-17-14 12:56 AM
    If Classic doesn't have a replaceable battery I will probably not buy it. I was all hyped until I read this. This a very bad decision. I really hope it is not a final decision.
    AllanQuatermain, bbnrs and hlg8888 like this.
    09-17-14 01:02 AM
    User serviceable batteries are great, but not having one isn't a deal breaker in and of itself for me anymore.

In fact, I'd rather have the occasionally used power case to top off than an extra battery that forces me to reboot.
    09-17-14 01:05 AM
    by the way, did you zoom a little ? 2515mah... (Q10 is a 2100mah one and the phone stays alive for between 1 to 2 days)
    09-17-14 04:09 AM
    Well, you saw the battery of the Classic on the BBM channel :
    Attachment 298091It seems harder to change the keyboard of a Q10 than the battery of a Classic if faulty... It's 4 screws away on an iPhone 4 by the way... and to keep the phone running when you are always moving, a simple external charger pack seems easier again. No switch off/open/switch battery/close/switch on, just... plug in
    You'd rather carry an "external charger pack" instead of carrying a fully charged battery that you can swap into your phone? A battery that can easily fit in your wallet? Who cares how thin the phone can be if you have to plug it into an external charger.

Posted via Q10RR
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-17-14 06:37 AM
    You'd rather carry an "external charger pack" instead of carrying a fully charged battery that you can swap into your phone? A battery that can easily fit in your wallet? Who cares how thin the phone can be if you have to plug it into an external charger.
    well, the BlackBerry battery/charger bundle is pretty small... quite like the battery itself, don't you think ?Replaceable Batteries Not The Future?-img_20140917_134622_edit.jpg And again, my phone stays alive, I don't need to switch it off to change the battery.
    09-17-14 06:47 AM
    I like to cycle through the full charge of a battery, so I have always preferred carrying a spare battery rather than a power charger.

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-17-14 09:51 AM
    I think that you and a majority of people that share this sentiment, have a pretty routine day/life. It doesn't matter how beautiful, powerful, or productive your phone is it ends up dead. That's the point we are making here. We are emphasizing the "just in case". We don't want to be huddled around outlets. We want seamless and effortless continuity with how our time is spent.

We want phones that keep up with us, that's there for us every step of the way.

Rockin the Q
    Why is carrying an external battery any less convenient than carrying a battery to swap? The externals have the advantage of being usable without having to power down the phone...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 01:12 PM
    Not on 4G you won't

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 02:10 PM
    well, the BlackBerry battery/charger bundle is pretty small... quite like the battery itself, don't you think ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140917_134622_edit.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	298364 And again, my phone stays alive, I don't need to switch it off to change the battery.
    That doesn't prove any point. The battery is thin and portable and can literally fit in your wallet. Carrying the "bundle" is like carrying an extra phone. No one here has presented a valid argument for fixed batteries yet.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-17-14 07:55 PM
    Why is carrying an external battery any less convenient than carrying a battery to swap? The externals have the advantage of being usable without having to power down the phone...

Posted via CB10
    You're talking about an external battery "case" if you were to attach an external battery charger to the phone, it becomes more of a hindrance than anything. People are just too lazy to pull a 3$ battery out of their pocket and switch it. The swap takes seconds, and after the reboot, you have 100% to last you the day whereas an external charger will have to cling to the phone for the phones dear life.

Posted via Q10RR
    09-17-14 07:59 PM
    I find having to swap out the battery annoying due to the long time it takes to reboot and then reindex right after a reboot. Now I carry a portable USB charging battery so if I run low, I can quickly plug it in. (This is similar to the Z10 battery bundle, just the battery in my portable charger is non-removable). I still carry around an extra Z10 battery for those days where I really need a long charge. (I also have a spare because I had to swap out the battery because my original battery was not holding the original full capacity)

So all in all, I don't like the fact that I can't replace the battery easily, but with the huge battery, and the proliferation of portable battery chargers, it shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future.
    09-17-14 08:02 PM
    You're talking about an external battery "case" if you were to attach an external battery charger to the phone, it becomes more of a hindrance than anything. People are just too lazy to pull a 3$ battery out of their pocket and switch it. The swap takes seconds, and after the reboot, you have 100% to last you the day whereas an external charger will have to cling to the phone for the phones dear life.

Posted via Q10RR
    I may be wrong, but I believe he's talking specifically about an external battery, which can be quite small and convenient - it's just something you plug in to your phone and keep working away. I managed to get an official BlackBerry one for my Z30, and the phone is still perfectly usable with it plugged in - just hold it at the back while you work. Plus, with the time it takes to reboot a BB10 device, it can be very inconvenient to have to swap batteries if you're in the middle of something important.

It's more ergonomic to just swap batteries and keep going though, granted. But I'm perfectly okay with the external battery method personally.

From a more ideological engineering standpoint however, removable batteries are a workaround to a problem that shouldn't exist - terrible battery life. In a perfect world, a sealed battery would not be a problem for anyone, perhaps with the exception of people who keep phones for unexpectedly long periods of time. Maybe one day...
    Tre Lawrence and NtotheK like this.
    09-17-14 08:32 PM
    I find having to swap out the battery annoying due to the long time it takes to reboot and then reindex right after a reboot. Now I carry a portable USB charging battery so if I run low, I can quickly plug it in. (This is similar to the Z10 battery bundle, just the battery in my portable charger is non-removable). I still carry around an extra Z10 battery for those days where I really need a long charge. (I also have a spare because I had to swap out the battery because my original battery was not holding the original full capacity)

So all in all, I don't like the fact that I can't replace the battery easily, but with the huge battery, and the proliferation of portable battery chargers, it shouldn't be too much of an issue in the future.
    Lol you find it annoying swapping out a dead/dying battery with a fully charged one?

What annoys me is having something dangling from my usb port...That port will be damaged very soon.

Rockin the Q
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-17-14 11:53 PM
    Lol you find it annoying swapping out a dead/dying battery with a fully charged one?

What annoys me is having something dangling from my usb port...That port will be damaged very soon.

Rockin the Q
    It's takes just a few minutes to swap out a fully charged spare. I'd rather do that thaat than tether the phone to an external portable charger for hours, and look ridiculous using the handset with that stringed appendage.

And yep, my two month old Q10 has already started double typing...happily. Time too order a replacement keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 12:45 AM
    That doesn't prove any point. The battery is thin and portable and can literally fit in your wallet. Carrying the "bundle" is like carrying an extra phone. No one here has presented a valid argument for fixed batteries yet.

Posted via Q10RR
    With a fixed battery the phone can be thinner, lighter, and cheaper.

That's three valid arguments right there.

Posted via CB10
    LazyEvul likes this.
    09-18-14 05:46 PM
    I don't know what everyone is complaining about. My Z30 doesn't have a removable battery and it's never been a problem. My battery life is exceptional for a power user like myself and with BB10 I've got no use for battery pulls

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 05:48 PM
93 1234