If all the new devices are going the non-removable route...I am either going to have to stock up on Q10s and batteries or explore other manufacturers.

I specifically came back to BB for reliability..and that beautiful qwerty and BB10 of course. But ultimately I was tired of being out and about with a dying phone. I just feel like some things shouldn't be compromised. There should always be a modern qwerty phone with a replaceable battery in the lineup...always. I'm only complaining because the Q10 is supposedly going away. Will a refresh happen...idk. Will a successor come...idk. What I DO know is that the trackpad people complained and got what they wanted. So I will gladely do the same.

Rockin the Q
    bbnrs, Q10Bold, podes2204 and 1 others like this.
    09-15-14 01:40 AM
    The only reason why the market has tried to push non removable stuff is because of the use of less materials used when doing so.

Or at least, that's my theory. As you may notice, anyone who has a removable back has a thin plate.
    bbnrs likes this.
    09-15-14 01:46 AM
    Keep the battery as a removable, to change to a new battery that's what i love about blackberry!..please!

S.f. Giants/ s.f. 49'ers on my blackberry q10/ sprint-u.s.a.!
    yokogeri374 likes this.
    09-15-14 03:41 AM
    I've read in other threads it helps lower the expectation of the phone rebooting all the time because of the battery being loose.
    09-15-14 07:40 AM
    They also claim better life. I believe they change stuff like that for money reasons most of all. Probably less expensive to manufacture. Might take away the ability to swap out my own screen and keyboards as I ruin them. Q is still going strong so cross that bridge when it happens. That classic looks kinda tempting but I won't switch till this is beyond repair.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2491
    09-15-14 10:09 AM
    It is still unsure whether the Classic will have the non replaceable battery or not.

Also, you would be very limited in your decision to move to another phone anyway since most have the non removable battery anyways.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    09-15-14 10:15 AM
    None Replaceable Batts... are the single most biggest mistake EVER PERIOD!, yes we all know I phone is like that.... but BB Really need to think about this... what if the phone died? had a battery problem? (i cannot simply pop to the nearest tech store and buy a replacement battery can i?) I have to jump hurdles/hoops to send it back blah blah - It simply doesn't work like that... i know the Classic has a None-Replaceable Battery.... but i'll still get it. (not 100% happy with the classic battery though)

BlackBerry/John Chen, really need to RE-THINK this method.... yes i understand they wanna save a bit of money, but c'mon for gods sake.

Are you listening BlackBerry?

And for those think a None-Replaceable Battery is a good idea? you need to get your head out of the sand (and THINK LONG TERM)

Give you a good example.... My Galaxy S4 battery died major problem? no not really... paid for a new battery and phone powered back on (didn't have to send it to Samsung and pay lots of money for post/shipping fees.)
    09-15-14 11:00 AM
    None Replaceable Batts... are the single most biggest mistake EVER PERIOD!, yes we all know I phone is like that.... but BB Really need to think about this... what if the phone died? had a battery problem? (i cannot simply pop to the nearest tech store and buy a replacement battery can i?) I have to jump hurdles/hoops to send it back blah blah - It simply doesn't work like that... i know the Classic has a None-Replaceable Battery.... but i'll still get it. (not 100% happy with the classic battery though)

BlackBerry/John Chen, really need to RE-THINK this method.... yes i understand they wanna save a bit of money, but c'mon for gods sake.

Are you listening BlackBerry?

And for those think a None-Replaceable Battery is a good idea? you need to get your head out of the sand (and THINK LONG TERM)

Give you a good example.... My Galaxy S4 battery died major problem? no not really... paid for a new battery and phone powered back on (didn't have to send it to Samsung and pay lots of money for post/shipping fees.)
    Yes, finally, a person with a common sense!

Battery is the one part in a phone that is guaranteed to go wrong given enough time and usage.

bbnrs and jezy1m3rchant like this.
    09-15-14 11:13 AM
    There are so many ways to deal with this...power packs etc...all things being equal I prefer a removable batter but it's not the disaster it's being made out to be.

Unless the phone has really crappy battery like like my old Motorola Photon Q. That was a major pain...talk about wall-hugging. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    09-15-14 11:23 AM
    I'll say it again. If you are a serious business user, you have to have a spare battery on you. Suppose you are travelling and at the airport on a conference call, you don't want to be cut off.
    Secondly, Mr. Chen if you want to lose the war, go ahead be like all the other smartphone makers and imitate Apple just like Sony and HTC. Every marketeer knows the key to success is to be different. Hasn't anybody learned from Sony's miserable failures? Come on.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:05 PM
    If I may add : an external battery charger (like the Q10 official charger with the micro-USB cable embedded) and the battery itself are roughly the same size...
    But ok, I will not put my phone near my ear with the thing still attached
    And for the ones who fear a faulty battery, there is some screws, but it can always be changed.
    09-15-14 01:49 PM
    There are so many ways to deal with this...power packs etc...all things being equal I prefer a removable batter but it's not the disaster it's being made out to be.

Unless the phone has really crappy battery like like my old Motorola Photon Q. That was a major pain...talk about wall-hugging. Ugh.

Posted via CB10
    So many ways? I can think of 2...An ext battery pack and a battery case of some sort. We are not pitching some new concept here. All they have to do is keep doing what have been doing and providing us with swappables. And that other guy is right...AVOID THE BANDWAGON.

Rockin the Q
    09-15-14 01:54 PM
    If I may add : an external battery charger (like the Q10 official charger with the micro-USB cable embedded) and the battery itself are roughly the same size...
    But ok, I will not put my phone near my ear with the thing still attached
    And for the ones who fear a faulty battery, there is some screws, but it can always be changed.
    Where would you order that part from? Would you have to buy a device for parts?

Rockin the Q
    09-15-14 01:56 PM
    It is still unsure whether the Classic will have the non replaceable battery or not.

Also, you would be very limited in your decision to move to another phone anyway since most have the non removable battery anyways.

I think the Note has them...a top performer. So I wouldn't be too **** hurt if I had to pick one up as a primary. But I prefer BB as a primary and android as a secondary.

Rockin the Q
    09-15-14 02:01 PM
    Well seems that you can find any part online for purchase. That said this thread is mostly speculation as no one can say for sure what this phone will be. Also it may have the best non removable battery every made and it last 2 days. (not likely). Bottom line is bottom line for all manufacturers. It will be what it is and just hoping it is not a flop and has scores of messed keypads and phones doing the reboot.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2491
    09-15-14 02:05 PM
    exactly. i don't know why manufacturers decide to keep the battery sealed in. Should the battery get faulty, how does on go about it. its not as if the whole world is the same where one can just walk into a shop for some people to change their batteries. i think it will be a good initiative should the manufacturers decide to make their battery removable so in the case of serious power outages or battery problem, one can just pop in a spare on right there.
    09-15-14 02:14 PM
    exactly. i don't know why manufacturers decide to keep the battery sealed in. Should the battery get faulty, how does on go about it. its not as if the whole world is the same where one can just walk into a shop for some people to change their batteries. i think it will be a good initiative should the manufacturers decide to make their battery removable so in the case of serious power outages or battery problem, one can just pop in a spare on right there.
    Non removable does not mean non replaceable. You can replace it fairly easily with the proper tools.
    09-15-14 02:33 PM
    Try the HTC One, it was rated 1 by ifixit.com for most difficult to repair.

Posted via CB10
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-15-14 03:03 PM
    So many ways? I can think of 2...An ext battery pack and a battery case of some sort. We are not pitching some new concept here. All they have to do is keep doing what have been doing and providing us with swappables. And that other guy is right...AVOID THE BANDWAGON.

Rockin the Q
    Agreed, personally I'd rather a replaceable battery. But many see it as critical and won't use a device with a fixed battery. I would, if it's a big powerful battery that will go over a day of heavy use on a charge.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 04:35 PM
    So nobody feels there are any downsides to replaceable batteries? When one of these threads, below, comes up there are always a dozen people who instantly know that the battery is loose and something needs to be shoved in there to keep the battery from losing contact and rebooting their phone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-hard-958601/
    09-15-14 04:45 PM
    So nobody feels there are any downsides to replaceable batteries? When one of these threads, below, comes up there are always a dozen people who instantly know that the battery is loose and something needs to be shoved in there to keep the battery from losing contact and rebooting their phone.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-hard-958601/
    I will take putting a card under the battery cover over having to replace the battery with a set of specialized screw drivers when a battery fails.

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    hlg8888 and Coraya like this.
    09-15-14 05:02 PM
    Well, you saw the battery of the Classic on the BBM channel :
    Replaceable Batteries Not The Future?-look-batt.jpgIt seems harder to change the keyboard of a Q10 than the battery of a Classic if faulty... It's 4 screws away on an iPhone 4 by the way... and to keep the phone running when you are always moving, a simple external charger pack seems easier again. No switch off/open/switch battery/close/switch on, just... plug in
    09-15-14 06:11 PM
    I've made the point elsewhere but I'll recap here:

1. Easier to make the phone thinner and lighter
    2. Easier logistics since the replacement battery doesn't have to be maintained as a retail item
    3. LiON batteries DO last longer

Blame Apple for this. The upside: there are all kinds of portable charging batteries available now anyway. When I upgraded to a Z30 I kept the battery bundle I'd bought with my Q10.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    09-15-14 06:27 PM
    Yes, finally, a person with a common sense!

Battery is the one part in a phone that is guaranteed to go wrong given enough time and usage.

I was thinking the same thing, until they mentioned having a Samsung Galaxy, then all credibility went out the window.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 07:24 PM
    I've made the point elsewhere but I'll recap here:

1. Easier to make the phone thinner and lighter
    2. Easier logistics since the replacement battery doesn't have to be maintained as a retail item
    3. LiON batteries DO last longer

Blame Apple for this. The upside: there are all kinds of portable charging batteries available now anyway. When I upgraded to a Z30 I kept the battery bundle I'd bought with my Q10.
    We are all aware that there are various reasons why they went this route for the most recent releases (Q5, Z30, Z3, [Passport and Classic...possibly]). That does not make it ok though. I also appreciate BB members trying to ease the hearts of the disgruntled, I really do. But we can justify their decisions all day until our faces turn blue but that doesn't effect change. It's no secret that Chen visits these forums from time to time and I'm sure plenty of people in his organization does as well. We have to express our desires. What better time to do it than during pre-production? Even if the road map for the classic is already decided, there are probably design teams already working on the next flagship qwerty or Q10 refresh. All we have is speculation, but a pretty good one given the batteries on the last 3 devices. I am not really all that focused on the Classic, because it doesn't really seem like a successor to the Q10. So whatever they (YES, YOU, DESIGN TEAM GUYS/GALS) are brewing up over there just pleaseeeeeee keep us in mind. We are not asking for a whole new seperate phone like those trackpad lovers, I'd gladly take a 'All New Q10' with that same gesture based OS and our beloved batteries.

Rockin the Q
    09-15-14 07:57 PM
93 123 ...