so if my recording goes over 3.99 GB I get a message that says "recording failed"
    and I have a 3.99 GB file I can't open. I've tried every media program I can think of
    but can't find one that will recognize the file even though it has an mp4 extension.
    has anyone figured out how to salvage the file? It would be nice if BB10 were smart
    enough to know it's nearing the end and save the recording at the 3.99 GB point in a
    readable format- or better yet, keep recording and start a new file.
    07-26-13 08:25 AM
    so if my recording goes over 3.99 GB I get a message that says "recording failed"
    and I have a 3.99 GB file I can't open. I've tried every media program I can think of
    but can't find one that will recognize the file even though it has an mp4 extension.
    has anyone figured out how to salvage the file? It would be nice if BB10 were smart
    enough to know it's nearing the end and save the recording at the 3.99 GB point in a
    readable format- or better yet, keep recording and start a new file.
    are you talking about recording 4GB of video?
    07-26-13 08:48 AM
    That sounds like the limitation of file size for a Fat32 formatted mSD card. If I recall correctly, BB devices won't access an NTFS formatted card. I'm not sure is exFat formatted cards will work. I'll check that when I get to my home PC. If exFat works with BB 10, that would give you a much bigger capacity.

Regardless Thom, I think you are unlikely to be able to play that file as the recording was never completed. The only player I can think or that may possibly work is VLC. It seems much more capable (and forgiving) than most media players . If I recall correctly, it can even convert the file to another format. That may save the video for you.
    howarmat and Grumblegrumble like this.
    07-26-13 11:49 AM
    Yes its a file format/structure issue. Not sure there would be a way around it.
    07-26-13 12:00 PM
    Didn't BB license exFAT? Ideally the camera app should split up the video files, but it looks like it doesn't do that.
    07-26-13 04:30 PM
    Yes, recording 4GB of video
    07-26-13 06:36 PM
    You need to repair the file first. Google HD video repair.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 06:49 PM
    Well, I just formatted a spare mSD card to exfat and added a 5gb movie to it. My device won't read the card.

I'm not sure if this is because I'm running a leaked OS or not. If someone on an official version would care to try?
    07-27-13 11:14 AM
    I've just run up against this same issue with my Z30, and I can confirm the problem is pretty cut-and-dried: the video recording fails when it hits 4GB. It then saves a file exactly 4,194,304 KB in size to my SD card (it has occurred on two separate occasions now and that's the exact file size it saved both times). I'm assuming that's at roughly around an hour or so of recording since I have a video that's 47 minutes long that's about 2.8 GB in size.

The SD card is 64GB and has tons of room available (40 GB).

And, yes, it's formatted FAT32.

So, what's the solution here? Set a timer and stop recording at about 50 minutes every time I record video? Is that about the only viable solution?

And has anyone found a way to salvage those files that failed to complete recording?

Thanks!
    flyingsolid likes this.
    05-02-14 10:41 PM
    Anyone found software that works with bb10 video? Thanks

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z10
    05-17-14 03:29 AM
    I've just run up against this same issue with my Z30, and I can confirm the problem is pretty cut-and-dried: the video recording fails when it hits 4GB. It then saves a file exactly 4,194,304 KB in size to my SD card (it has occurred on two separate occasions now and that's the exact file size it saved both times). I'm assuming that's at roughly around an hour or so of recording since I have a video that's 47 minutes long that's about 2.8 GB in size.

The SD card is 64GB and has tons of room available (40 GB).

And, yes, it's formatted FAT32.

So, what's the solution here? Set a timer and stop recording at about 50 minutes every time I record video? Is that about the only viable solution?

And has anyone found a way to salvage those files that failed to complete recording?

Thanks!
    If you want, I can try running the file through the program "any video converter" to have it produce a readable file (any format you want)

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 08:53 AM
    I sent the 4GB files to my video guru who used to run the video editing segment of the tech support forum for Adobe. He had no luck with recovery. He isn't specialized in recovering bad files per se but sure knows his stuff when it comes to how video files are built. He said "I tried to open it with everything I can think of. If such-and-such [I don't remember what] didn't open it, I can't imagine what will. I couldn't get a single frame out of it."

And I tried in vain to load it on both the Video Editor and Video Converter modules of AVS4YOU, which is pretty good software in my experience.

So, I'm writing mine off as lost.

And now I set a timer to remind me to stop the recording at an hour and, if I need to do more recording, start a new video. This approach looks fine.
    05-18-14 11:06 PM
    Didn't BB license exFAT? Ideally the camera app should split up the video files, but it looks like it doesn't do that.
    They did, but for some bizarro reason I don't think they ever actually implemented it in BB10.

And yep, the recorder should definitely at least offer an option to split the files before they hit the FAT32 filesystem filesize limit.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-19-14 06:14 AM
    I had the same problem
    I could fix with an app (treasure), and the preview worked fine, but they wanted $129 for each video to fix.
    Unbelievable.
    So instead I used another app based on mplayer.
    The result was playing at 200% speed, and without audio, but it was possible to have the video back...
    It was unplayable on every player except mplayer, so I had to record the screen

Posted via Z10
    05-19-14 07:14 AM
    I had the same problem
    I could fix with an app (treasure), and the preview worked fine, but they wanted $129 for each video to fix.
    Unbelievable.
    So instead I used another app based on mplayer.
    The result was playing at 200% speed, and without audio, but it was possible to have the video back...
    It was unplayable on every player except mplayer, so I had to record the screen

Posted via Z10
    What mplayer app u used? I think this might be my last option as well coz none other option worked to recover the file.
    04-26-15 11:46 AM
    mplayerx for osx
    04-26-15 12:13 PM
    mplayerx for osx
    Thanks, I have windows, I tried SMplayer which is also based on mplayer but no luck
    04-26-15 12:19 PM