Hi all,

I am considering getting a Blackberry Q10 or Z10 [I want to get a Passport but they don't work on Verizon] but I am worried about functionality with my Chromecast with both Netflix and Youtube. Do these devices work well with Chromecast? I've read some forums and it seems like its very up in the air. The other options I have considered within my price range are the Droid Nexus5.

Also, if I get an unlocked Z10 or Q10, will these phones work with Verizon? Also do they have SIM card slots if I want to change from Verizon to something like AT&T? Or go out to Europe and buy a SIM card there? I really want to get a Q10 b/c of the keyboard (same reason I want a Passport, but I am currently on a Verizon family plan with cheaper rates it isn't worth it to pay $550 and also switch carriers).

I want to have flexibility in terms of carriers and also have privacy concerns. I am from the United States.

Any advice regarding Blackberry devices would be helpful in me making my decision.

Thanks
    02-26-15 01:00 PM
    you will have to buy a verizon branded phone if you want it to work on verizon and it won't work on the gsm networks. I dont use chromecast so I don't know if it does work or not.
    02-26-15 01:33 PM
    Verizon has a CDMA network, so the phone must have that capability.... normally only a Verizon or maybe a SPRINT phone will work on Verizon. But many Verizon phones do have the GSM radios also... so usually a Verizon phone does give you more flexibility in switching carriers.... but you really have to check each phone and each carrier.

As for Chromecast... no it doesn't work. Some have been able to install it, and google services and then patch the app... but from what I've read the results have been mixed.
    02-26-15 01:43 PM
    Okay... I am highly considering buying the Blackberry Classic coming out today for Verizon... unlocked... if I were to go to Europe and pop in a SIM card, would the SIM card work? I understand the CDMA dilemma, but according to a lot of what I have read most of these branded Verizon phones have SIM slots and GSM should work -- like in the "new" Blackberry Classic.
    02-26-15 01:52 PM
    Doesn't work. I use cheap Android phone (Moto e) for these things... for the Rest i only use BlackBerry devices.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 02:55 PM
    I used chromecast on my passport when I first got it. Had to patch it to get it to work but didnt think chromecast was all that great. Especially since I bought a roku 3. Maybe I misunderstood what the chromecast would do but its collecting dust on a shelf beside my seidio passport holster

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.281
    04-01-15 10:29 PM