I'm in the market for a new phone and am attracted to the Q10 primarily because of the keyboard and I like its looks and the potential for better battery helps too.

I'm in the US with Verizon. Does anyone know why both phones weren't released at the same time?

Is there some marketing reason for this? Was it technical? I just find it so painful to wait. I can go to the Verizon store to look at the Z10 when it's available, but I really would like to see both at the same time.
    03-27-13 08:50 PM
    Probably a mix of marketing and technical. The Q10 software wasn't quite ready for release (it's going to ship with 10.1, and the app developer tools were only recently released for the Q10), but they also want to focus most of the public's attention on the full-touch device to really separate themselves from any stereotypes people have formed over the last couple of years. Plus, there's almost certainly much more demand for the Z10 than the Q10, so it makes financial sense to focus your resources on the Z10 and get it out ASAP, while taking your time with the device which won't yield the same kind of sales anyways.
    03-27-13 09:00 PM
    Why so you figure there's certainly more demand for the z10 over the q10?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-13 11:05 PM
    I'm honestly just thirst to go back to hard typing. This on screen keyboard mess is for you new school. I need the keyboard keys so I know when I'm hitting B instead of N or the spacebar when I take my eyes off the keys.
    CRJDRIVER and Shoryuken like this.
    03-27-13 11:23 PM
    After considering this question for a while, I can offer these ideas:
    1. Necessity to portray in the media the new image of BlackBerry as a company receptive to market needs, in order to snag a piece of the touchscreen market.
    2. To prevent the Q10 from cannibalizing Z10 sales.
    tryfe and Chris Marsch like this.
    03-28-13 01:10 AM
    I can imagine a couple of reasons:
    1. Software issues, the Q is expected to ship with 10.1 which might've taken longer to finish than expected
    2. App situation, a RIM rep actually admitted to Kevin apps were one of the reasons why they are holding it back.
    3. Z10 is the more important device. Blackberry pretty much still is the king of the QWERTY hill and the competition in this market is even weaker than a couple of years ago. They need however to get the full-touch thing right. The Z10 simply was a better device to show off the "new" Blackberry brand.
    4. Maybe there have actually been some technical problems with the Q10 which couldn't be solved in a short time.
    5. Manufacturing resources. Blackberry maybe doesn't have the big manufacturing resources needed to release two of those devices at the same time and simply prefered the Z10 for obvious reasons.
    03-28-13 01:30 AM
    almost everyone i know is holding out for the Q10. i would have too, but i just couldnt resist! its actually a smart move for BB. get people talking abt how incredible the Z10 is, get those MORE excited for the Q10 and wait in anticipation for the release. also helps them iron out some massive bugs in the OS for the massive release of the Q10. i think its actually quite perfect timing for it to be available around the same time as the iphone5s and the S4. kinda brilliant in a torturous f'd up way. !!!!!
    03-28-13 06:32 AM
    You know it very possible that after seeing the Q10 I will opt for the Z10. However, it just seems to me that if they were both available at the same time then I could have made my purchase decision today and help contribute immedicately to Blackberry's cashflow and market presence. Instead I will have to wait until summer to see the Q10 (assuming my phones hold out). Of course, it's easy for me to 2nd guess BB. I wish them the best because I prefer not to go the way Android fwiw so please hurry BB.

I wonder how many are waiting to see the Q10 first before biting the bullet?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-28-13 09:18 AM
    Instead of holding out to create buzz, they should be creating it! I have yet to see any commercials (barring the one SuperBowl ad) or print ads for the Z10 let alone BB10. It's like showing up for the party late and hiding in a corner. Lets get this thing out in the open and mingle!
    03-29-13 09:29 AM
    Instead of holding out to create buzz, they should be creating it! I have yet to see any commercials (barring the one SuperBowl ad) or print ads for the Z10 let alone BB10. It's like showing up for the party late and hiding in a corner. Lets get this thing out in the open and mingle!
    I actually see quite a lot of ads on TV for the 'Keep Moving' project, as well as a helluvalot of carrier ads (especially Bell that has transit bus, SkyTrain, etc. covered with huge Z10 with the 'Canada's largest/best LTE network' what-have-you wording). Maybe it's more heavily advertised here on the West-coast?
    03-29-13 01:35 PM
    the z was to reel in new fans.
    03-30-13 01:06 PM
    I actually see quite a lot of ads on TV for the 'Keep Moving' project, as well as a helluvalot of carrier ads (especially Bell that has transit bus, SkyTrain, etc. covered with huge Z10 with the 'Canada's largest/best LTE network' what-have-you wording). Maybe it's more heavily advertised here on the West-coast?
    No, it's decently advertised in Montreal too. Bell has their usual huge billboard visible from the Ville-Marie expressway heading into downtown pushing their flagship device, saying that "your [Device name] deserves the largest LTE network" (translation). I recall they had devices like the Atrix and Sensation in the past, but now the Z10 is proudly featured. I also get a lot of French Z10 ads on YouTube. So I'd guess there's no shortage of advertising in Canada, perhaps unlike the US. Nevertheless, I have only seen one Z10 in the wild so far, probably because most Canadians are stuck on 3 year contracts.
    03-30-13 10:17 PM
    If they had launched the Q10 first or at the same time as the Z10, I might not have bought the Z10. Now I going to buy both.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    03-31-13 04:02 PM
    I'm honestly just thirst to go back to hard typing. This on screen keyboard mess is for you new school. I need the keyboard keys so I know when I'm hitting B instead of N or the spacebar when I take my eyes off the keys.
    Agreed - don't like screen typing.
    03-31-13 09:40 PM
    You know it very possible that after seeing the Q10 I will opt for the Z10. However, it just seems to me that if they were both available at the same time then I could have made my purchase decision today and help contribute immedicately to Blackberry's cashflow and market presence. Instead I will have to wait until summer to see the Q10 (assuming my phones hold out). Of course, it's easy for me to 2nd guess BB. I wish them the best because I prefer not to go the way Android fwiw so please hurry BB.

I wonder how many are waiting to see the Q10 first before biting the bullet?
    I am
    04-01-13 05:25 PM