Hey all,

I'm considering buying the Blackberry Q10 however I'm new to Blackberry so I have a couple of questions.

1. How long will the Q10 be supported by BB? Would it be fine to use it when they stop supporting it?
    2. How is the battery life and responsiveness?
    3. I've heard that the screen is too dim, even with the brightness upturned up. Is it?
    4. What apps should I get on the BBQ10? I would like an apps for podcasts, battery etc
    5. Can you put a 64GB SD card in the phone? Battery drain?
    6. Is the screen too small? Is it good for messaging but not anything else?
    7. How are maps on it?
    8. How will the deal with Amazon impact on getting apps?
    9. What big name apps are missing?
    10. I will be using the phone for personal use, not business. Does anyone else use their phone for personal use? Experiences etc?

Thanks
    Agatonga likes this.
    06-21-14 09:07 PM
    Hey all,

I'm considering buying the Blackberry Q10 however I'm new to Blackberry so I have a couple of questions.

1. How long will the Q10 be supported by BB? Would it be fine to use it when they stop supporting it?
    3. I've heard that the screen is too dim, even with the brightness upturned up. Is it?
    4. What apps should I get on the BBQ10? I would like an apps for podcasts, battery etc
    7. How are maps on it?
    10. I will be using the phone for personal use, not business. Does anyone else use their phone for personal use? Experiences etc?

Thanks
    1) long time
    2) more then a day heavy user
    3) my screen is great, my friend couldn't see her iphone in the sunlight but mine was fine
    4) lots of apps for that, depends on you
    5) yes
    6) I have no issues but would be nice if bigger
    7) fantastic
    8) should be more apps
    9) none that I want but some complain
    10) use both personal and business

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 09:25 PM
    Hey all,

7. How are maps on it?

Thanks
    1. Probably so many more years. Don't worry about it.
    2. The battery life is amazing. It would last the day as long as you don't leave it and use it under the sun for hours.
    3. No, the screen can get pretty bright.
    4. Well this question would be easily answered if we knew what you wanted. But since you're here, I'll leave you with CB10.
    5. Yes, it'll fit. And I've heard that battery drains from it only come from certain brands.
    6. The screen is workable, but if you plan to watch movies and videos on there for most of your life, then I don't recommend it. Otherwise, it works fine.
    7. BlackBerry Maps is below par, but you can download Waze on BlackBerry World.
    8. Simple. Now you can get Android apps easier.
    9. Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, Tumblr, YouTube. Though, there are lots of thirdparty apps that work great. iGrann for Instagram, Whine for Vine, Snap2Chat for Snapchat, Trapeez for Tumblr, and a big selection for YouTube. Or you can download Android versions.
    10. Yes, I use my BB10 device for personal uses, and it holds up better than my iPhone which I use for just games now.

BlackBerry Z10 | 10.3.0.296
    06-21-14 10:44 PM
    Exactly what czechmate said pretty much. Love the battery life!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 01:49 AM
    Waze on BlackBerry world? Have not found it yet myself; just tried searching for it again and got nothing. BlackBerry maps are not for my region so I'm actually still looking for a decent gps navigation application, preferably a free one but I would gladly pay for a fully functioning one as well.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 03:08 AM
    Hey all,

7. How are maps on it?

Thanks
    1. It sure looks like it'll take quite a while before the company stops supporting this device.
    2. Battery's pretty good. I can go for a day without charging and I'm a heavy user. Very responsive.
    3. Nope. It's AMOLED. In fact, i've read that people are complaining because it's too bright.
    4. There are apps available on the BlackBerry World. Also, never forget that the OS10 can run android apps now.
    5. Yes. No battery drain issues.
    6. Screen's a little small but you can actually adjust with it (give yourself a week).
    7. In my region, the maps are doing good. I don't need Google maps. The BlackBerry map is fine.
    8. No other news about the amazon deal. I'm waiting for more news too.
    9. See number 4.
    10. I use my phone for personal AND work use. No problems whatsoever.

Filipino. 23. Q10 user.
    06-22-14 03:42 AM
    1. Probably so many more years. Don't worry about it.
    2. The battery life is amazing. It would last the day as long as you don't leave it and use it under the sun for hours.
    3. No, the screen can get pretty bright.
    4. Well this question would be easily answered if we knew what you wanted. But since you're here, I'll leave you with CB10.
    5. Yes, it'll fit. And I've heard that battery drains from it only come from certain brands.
    6. The screen is workable, but if you plan to watch movies and videos on there for most of your life, then I don't recommend it. Otherwise, it works fine.
    7. BlackBerry Maps is below par, but you can download Waze on BlackBerry World.
    8. Simple. Now you can get Android apps easier.
    9. Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, Tumblr, YouTube. Though, there are lots of thirdparty apps that work great. iGrann for Instagram, Whine for Vine, Snap2Chat for Snapchat, Trapeez for Tumblr, and a big selection for YouTube. Or you can download Android versions.
    10. Yes, I use my BB10 device for personal uses, and it holds up better than my iPhone which I use for just games now.

I agree with most of your replies except for a few.

I just feel that the screen is not bright, it is indeed dim. Hold the Z10 to it and you will see the difference. While I acknowledge the "limitations" os AMOLED screens I think BlackBerry had a rather mid end-ish screen in this case. Compare it to other AMOLED screens and once again, the difference is noticeable.

Another thing is the responsiveness of the screen, it is not excellent, it good but nowhere near the best out there. I don't know how many times have I touched on it with no response, I sometimes have to touch it more than once.

One last comment, in terms of the support, no one knows for sure how long the support will go on, however, at some point it will end. We are probably going to get fixes here and there but not OS upgrades. I'd wager to say that it is on its last legs in terms of OS upgrades seeing the specs of the Passport.
    06-22-14 05:40 AM
    They're still supporting OS7 phones with os and app updates. Q10 support will continue for many years more than you care to keep the device.

I've always been happy with the screen brightness but it definitely doesn't have the range of a z10... it won't go as dim as a z10, nor as bright. Personally I've never wanted it dimmer or brighter than it can handle, I think BlackBerry hit the sweet spot.
    06-22-14 10:00 AM
    If the rumors are true then 1st generation BB10 phones are nearing end of life. They will get 10.3.1+ and end before 10.4.

The battery life is decent, you can get a full day of use and there are extended batteries available that nearly triple the length. They go for around 20$.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-14 10:21 AM
    Extended batteries are like non original ones or what?
    06-22-14 11:12 AM
    I agree with most of your replies except for a few.

I just feel that the screen is not bright, it is indeed dim. Hold the Z10 to it and you will see the difference. While I acknowledge the "limitations" os AMOLED screens I think BlackBerry had a rather mid end-ish screen in this case. Compare it to other AMOLED screens and once again, the difference is noticeable.

Another thing is the responsiveness of the screen, it is not excellent, it good but nowhere near the best out there. I don't know how many times have I touched on it with no response, I sometimes have to touch it more than once.

One last comment, in terms of the support, no one knows for sure how long the support will go on, however, at some point it will end. We are probably going to get fixes here and there but not OS upgrades. I'd wager to say that it is on its last legs in terms of OS upgrades seeing the specs of the Passport.
    Well "bright" could be a relative term. I mean it could get pretty bright for me, or bright enough to say the least. As for responsiveness, I couldn't notice a difference against other devices to save my life. If it works, it works.

06-22-14 11:46 AM
    Well "bright" could be a relative term. I mean it could get pretty bright for me, or bright enough to say the least. As for responsiveness, I couldn't notice a difference against other devices to save my life. If it works, it works.

U have 10.3. Is it right or u just type?????????

posted via Q10
    06-22-14 11:58 AM
    10.3 has been available for quite a while as a leak version, you know, buggy watermarks on the screen and stuff. Lots of people have it, its pretty nice though.
    06-22-14 12:09 PM