I've lived through this once before with my beloved webOs. The first shocking news was the abysmal sales of the Touchpad, which despite have decent marketing, only sold around 25,000 units in its first few months (before the firesale). When that news got around we heard a quick series of bad reports and almost nothing new from HP. Only a few short weeks later webOs was cancelled and the pre3 never saw release (not In most of the world at least)

I know a lot of forum members will hate the Palm/HP/Blackberry comparison, but i think its foolish to ignore the similarities at the point. While I hope to never have to deal with no BB in the market, I think we all know its a very real possibility that we wont see an A10 or a Q15 or whatever we were hoping for next.

So lets assume tomorrow BB cancels BB10 and sticks with BB7 Enterprise phones only....what does the QWERTY lover do?

1) Hold on to and buy discounted q10s as long as you can
    2) Move to the closest competitor counterpart...I assume a portrait slider
    3) Join the herd and go touchscreen.
    4) Sit and wait

Remember, in this senerio there is no 10.3 or any other updates coming. What you got is what you will have until you leave.

Just as a disclaimer im not trying to be a negative nelly, and I want BB to go on and still make QWERTY phones forever. Its just that I am in awe of the lack of QWERTY options out there and I wonder what the BB community is thinking if it comes to be.
    09-03-13 09:28 AM
    I am not a fan, Q10 is my forst BlackBerry. If they cancel it tomorrow, I will buy 2-3 spare one, assuming can find them cheap. 10.2.0.1047 does a prety good job, don't miss much.

For me, Q10 has no alternatives. My car is my office and with the Q I don't need to start my laptop as often. Not to mention how quick you move around and everythink is back where you left off (unless you close the active frame), much like a Windows PC. I also have a Android phone and tried iPhone - nothing comes close to the Q when we talk about productivity/business use.

Btw, I have 2 Touchpads and I am glad BlackBerry 'borrowed' some ideas from there and MeeGo as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 10:02 AM
    I am not a fan, Q10 is my forst BlackBerry. If they cancel it tomorrow, I will buy 2-3 spare one, assuming can find them cheap.
    For me, Q10 has no alternatives. My car is my office and with the Q I don't need to start my laptop as often. Not to mention how quick you move around and everythink is back where you left off (unless you close the active frame), much like a Windows PC. I also have a Android phone and tried iPhone - nothing comes close to the Q when we talk about productivity/business use.

Btw, I have 2 Touchpads and I am glad BlackBerry 'borrowed' some ideas from there and MeeGo.

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't agree more. I am so much more productive on my q10 than i have been since webos and maybe even more so....ios and android are great but they just seem to slow me down.
    09-03-13 10:04 AM
    The Q10 is very similar to the Pre3 that I bought 2 of. Better key board worse gestures but not bad. When my Pre3 slider crapped out I got the Q10. Better operating system and much faster. Will buy two or three when BB goes under. I seem to be the kiss of death.
    09-03-13 11:28 AM
    I Just bought my first ever BB device. A Q10 I am hoping they won't have a firesale and then stop development.
    09-06-13 11:02 AM
    Great question. I also experienced the webOS debacle. I have a hard time seeing BB take the same path as they have a true mission critical role in life. Just like there are still tons of VMS systems running in major data centers, people with power will require Blackberrys for years to come.

So lets assume tomorrow BB cancels BB10 and sticks with BB7 Enterprise phones only....what does the QWERTY lover do?

4) Sit and wait
    I'm kinda waiting...

I needed to make a decision last week. I had a 9930 on Verizon and was getting more and more dropped and missed calls in my office. I needed to move to another carrier which meant getting another phone as well. I just couldn't imagine myself typing on glass as that is the thing I hate most about using my Playbook, TouchPad and iPad.

I basically had three choices. I could buy a 9930 for $200 with a 2 year contract with ATT, a Q10 again for $200 and a 2 year contract -- or I could buy an HP Pre3 off eBay for slightly more than $200 and no contract.

I didn't relish the idea of getting another Bold and being locked out of an upgrade for 2 years. I thought really hard about both the Q10 and the Pre3. I was already familiar with webOS, so I knew what I was getting into in terms of useability and app availability, but I was really concerned about the overall support. On the other hand, the Q10 seems like a much lower risk alternative, but I wasn't sure if I would get comfortable with the UI. I was just too used to having multiple email and browser windows open at the same time and quickly swapping between them with left-right swiping gestures.

I decided to get both a Pre3 and Q10 and use them both on ATT. It wasn't until after I bought the Pre3 that I realized that the SIM cards are not transferable. So, now I am back in a holding pattern.

I am optimistic about Blackberry the company, BB 10 OS and some kind of Q10 or Slider type phone in the future.
    09-06-13 03:40 PM
    I've lived through this once before with my beloved webOs. The first shocking news was the abysmal sales of the Touchpad, which despite have decent marketing, only sold around 25,000 units in its first few months (before the firesale). When that news got around we heard a quick series of bad reports and almost nothing new from HP. Only a few short weeks later webOs was cancelled and the pre3 never saw release (not In most of the world at least)

I know a lot of forum members will hate the Palm/HP/Blackberry comparison, but i think its foolish to ignore the similarities at the point. While I hope to never have to deal with no BB in the market, I think we all know its a very real possibility that we wont see an A10 or a Q15 or whatever we were hoping for next.

4) Sit and wait

Remember, in this senerio there is no 10.3 or any other updates coming. What you got is what you will have until you leave.

Just as a disclaimer im not trying to be a negative nelly, and I want BB to go on and still make QWERTY phones forever. Its just that I am in awe of the lack of QWERTY options out there and I wonder what the BB community is thinking if it comes to be.
    See heres the thing tho...i am thinking the opposite? I think the trend is to eventually move enterprise to os10 and NOT the other way around.
    The performance of os10 is bar none amazing. I really believe that bb has the market share on a keyboarded smartphone. As other companies have their specifics and niche markets i think blackberry excells here. My hope for the company is for them to pursue and advance the smartphone market with more key boarded devices. Blackberry has a strong hold here and nothing beats the security of bb os's.
    09-09-13 05:21 PM
    I'd use my Q10 as long as possible. Eventually, I'd switch to either Android or Windows phone.
    09-09-13 05:28 PM
    BlackBerry's history has been much longer than iPhone or Android. It will always be longer than them too in the future. BlackBerry is the only company that is doing software innovation. Sooner or later, every smartphone will have similar specs. The only difference will be OS itself. BlackBerry 10 is such a great OS, it will win in the end. But I don't expect everyone will use BlackBerry 10. After all, not everyone is rich, not everyone is open minded, not everyone is businesses man...

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 07:57 PM
    I struggled with this. They make a keyboard for the GSII (and I'm sure the GSIII). Today while running an emergency incident and have -heavy use- of my blackberry it froze up multiple times. Voicemail notifications didn't come, etc.
    Once I get thru this issue at hand I'm ordering a GS
    09-09-13 08:18 PM