Hey guys,

I am looking to upgrade to the blackberry10 platform. Where i am from, the Q10 has approx $300 price premium compared to the z10. Its a little steep to be honest however i am so torn because my heart says to get the Q10. The reason i say Q10 is because i do a lot of messaging and i enjoy the bb typing experience. Plus usually for when i am on the road, i have my playbook to consume media. But it would be nice to play some games on my phone for times that its too cumbersome to carry my phone. Furthermore i do need a sturdy phone. I am very clumsy with my phone and need a phone that can survive drops. I feel that the Q10 is best for that.

Please provide some insights as to what you guys recommend especially those of you that have used both devices....tell me which one ends up being your primary phone.

Thanks a bunch.
    macberry33 likes this.
    07-29-13 06:28 AM
    Z10 is the way to go. If your worried about the keyboard the z10 keyboard is rock solid and is the best one on a touch screen for sure.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:29 AM
    First, whichever phone you get, it sounds like you need a good drop case and insurance.

I'm on a Q10 and love it. Best typing experience I've had on any phone.

It's really hard to assess your needs though, as your message seems to give equal weight to typing and gaming.

If you're looking to get work done, Q10.

If you want games and media, Z10.

One other option might be the Q5, if you can find one in your area. It might sit at a price point between the Q10 and Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:36 AM
    I'm a "physical keyboard type of fella". I've had my Q10 for over a month and I love it. But...now that I understand the BB10 OS, I'm curious about the extra screen space (using the phrase "screen real estate" is sooo 2012).

I think when I first played with the Z10 in the cell phone store, I really didn't understand the OS. I didn't know what I was doing. Now that I've had time to get to know it by using the Q10, I think I'd love the Z10 experience. I mean, gazillions of people in recent years have ditched the keyboard (from using other phones/OS) and they have survived and adjusted quite well. I think it's just a matter of habit.

My plan is to enjoy the crap out of my Q10, and when/if the time comes, perhaps give serious consideration to going all-out and get the A10.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 06:50 AM
    Thanks for the reply guys.

I do like the idea of using the q10 to get things done. I use the speed dial a lot on my current BB (I know with BB10 it's a little different). I also use "type and go" a lot...for example I rename all my frequently used bbm contacts and when I am in BBM I simply type their name to find them. I also use keyboard shortcuts pretty often. How are the things I am describing executed in z10...does it also have type and go?

Media is nice but not high on the priority.

Durability is super important though. My brother has the z10 and I don't like that battery cover. Its very flimsy and doesnt seem like it will protect the phone from falls. Has anyone dropped their q10? If yes, what happened?
    07-29-13 09:06 AM
    I have had my Q for a couple months now after using the Z for a while. I'm pretty sure I'm going back to the Z until BlackBerry gets some real keyboard short cuts. As of now the keyboard on the Q does not make up for the loss of the big screen. When i first got the Q i loved the keyboard, but now not enuff to give up the screen size.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 01:33 PM
    If you really enjoy the typing experience, then you definitely have to get the Q10. The Z10 was my first touch screen phone, and I got it in March. From March to June, I only used the Z10, and I did get very good at typing on it.

Then I got the Q10, and it was like being back in my car after not driving it for a while. Everything is where it "should be," and it's just the absolute BEST typing experience.

I am glad I got the Z10, because it has shown me what BlackBerry 10 is like on a big screen, but the Q10 is more "right" for me. It's what BlackBerry is all about.
    07-29-13 07:21 PM
    God yes, unlike the Z10 it actually works.
    07-29-13 09:04 PM
    To me that is a tough question. I love the Q10. It is my daily "driver." It has all the apps I need to be very happy for a great communication device.. For a "media" phone, numerous apps., etc. I use both an iPad mini and an iPhone 5. If I was traveling I would take my iPhone. I think the iPhone is vastly superior to the Z10. And yes I have owned three of them.
    07-29-13 09:21 PM
    I would say front the description you wrote, the Q10 is the phone for you. The instant actions and speed dial are hard to beat. Plus if you actually enjoy the tactile feedback you get while typing, the Q10 keyboard is priceless. You don't have to take my word for that either. The keyboard is consistently praised by all reviewers, even the ones that don't like the phone. If you've ever used a physical keyboard phone and enjoyed it, I can guarantee you one thing: the Q10 keyboard is better. Best of luck with your choice. You can't really go wrong either way.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    07-29-13 09:36 PM
    Q10 if you need keyboard like me! Browser shortcuts alone are worth it over the Z10 imo. B for bottom...T for top. L for reload. S for universal search of a word you want on the site. This stuff is so important to me.

A10 if you want an S4 type phone.
    07-29-13 11:51 PM