• If you have the font larger than 9 you can only see the first two lines you type in a text message. Font 9 or smaller is fine.

• Absence of the track pad makes websites with dropdown menus un-navigational

• Emails are deleted from both the phone and the mailbox automatically without the choice

• The end call button is in the same location as the swipe up gesture needed to leave the phone screen and multi-task to check on an incoming text or email

BUT I do love how fast the browser is and the most important new feature for me is the ability to use it as a hotspot and be able to talk on it at the same time.
    The navigation mentioned in the second and fourth are what bothered me the most whilst considering purchasing. I would get quite annoyed with email 'magically' sorting itself as well. I like large font. I'm a lazy reader so having to do extra actions while trying to read anything could be bothersome.

I want a reason to buy this phone. I know I'm the full screen kind of person (no larger than iPhone 4s screen) and I've never used the keyboards in my BlackBerry existence..but I still can't convince myself to get this despite being allured to the concept of the Bold 9900. I have a weird thing about using buttons on mobile devices so it would beguile me to use the keyboard shortcuts. Other buttons, mentioned later do not bother me. I have some sort of gut feeling that the amount of use that was projected in the process of manufacturing would positively affect their robustness. Not that I think using gesture driven actions on the screen would inhibit much? I got frustrated the first time I used the Q10 in the store. I couldn't get back to the main area and was stuck in an app (not sure if real demo content installed). I played with it for 15 minutes trying to guess a gesture. I switched between just holding the device and moving it about my hands and trying to escape this app. I was on my lunch break so I decided to put it down. I came back to check it out a few months later and I enjoyed playing with it. I used the screen the most fumbled with the keyboard. Only because of my lack of experience using keyboards of this size.

I never used the physical keyboard on my Torch 9800 but I got a really good experience out of that device. I loved the shape and the optical track pad. I used the internet mostly and did a lot of reading and link selection. Media playback was exactly what I expected it to be on both my Storm and Torch. I rather liked the sure sense typing technology. It's so awesome for drunk fingers. For awhile after having foolishly sold my Torch I reverted back to my Storm for spell. Again, the whole experience with BB was great. Going from 5 to 6 and then back to 5 made me appreciate what my devices were, rather that what I may or may not have expected from them. I also gotta mention that my Storm was my first smart phone - if that has any bearing on what I've said so far.

What I do know I miss from BB is:
    Optical track pad
    BB key
    Option key
    Send and Receive keys with all other OS functions intact
    Dedicated side key
    I think the arrangement of those keys on the BB 9900 was extremely elegant.

Are you still able to skip to other songs while holding down the Vol+ and Vol- during screen lock? (OS question) How is the speaker phone quality and navigation while browsing the web or doing other things on the phone? Why isn't StumbleUpon on any of the OS's yet?!!??! The browser is perfect for it!

Again I will say I want a reason to own this phone.
    08-16-13 08:20 PM
    it depends on what you want to use it for. I have no love of the q10, and for me it was the worst phone I have ever bought. However that is because it doesn't work the way I expected it to based on the experiences I had with previous Blackberry phones, and can only view it as 2 steps forward and one HUGE leap back.

I have a suspicion that my concerns with the device may not be your concerns, and it is not my intent to turn every potential q10 buyer away from them based on my experiences. I do feel an obligation to make sure people have the benefit of experiences of others though, whether they be positive or negative.

It is a good phone, in the modern sense of smartphones. I have to say if you have had various androids and not been happy with them, Its not clear what exactly led to that?

My complaints with the q10 may be resolved by the time it is EOL if I'm lucky, but we shall see. For you, lack of apps will not concern you , so you can disregard that. Having never had a previous Blackberry I suspect my issues with the navigation in the OS may not trouble you to the same extent. All i would say is don't listen to people who say that anyone who complains about the gesture driven interface just doesn't like change and hasn't given it long enough. Be sure you like the idea and engage with it before you even consider buying. I like change if it brings positive benefits - I deplore it in circumstances like this, where I see it as only change for changes sake that brings less productivity than previously seen on older generation BBOS phones. I've had a q10 for 2 months, and when the keyboard failed (judge quality control on these devices how you will, there are a lot of us who are having this) it was a blessed relief.

What do I think you would like on the q10? It has excellent hardware - fast and speedy and without a hint of lag for the most part. Additionally it has a great camera, with great features. BB10 has some nice modern features and will keep most people happy I think in that regard. It is an attractive enough phone, with one of the best batteries you will likely find on a modern smartphone. People are divided on the amoled screen - other than how it performs in daylight I would say it has a beautiful screen though, and is very easy on the eyes.

My list of negatives are far to long, and i suspect well documented in various other threads so i prefer to leave it on that more positive note in the interests of balance. Think carefully about what you want from a phone, and have a really good play in shops or on friends phones if you can. If you have never had a BB before, you won't compare it to that so perhaps less of an issue for you, and you will be comparing it mostly to iphones and androids. In this, the q10 can hold its own well.
    I definitely respect your opinion on the q10. After reading this, it just shows the q10 isn't the phone for everyone, but i do actually think i will enjoy it.

Also, about the OS. I bought a Nokia N9 (total unicorn now) from europe a while back and looooooved it. i actually regret getting rid of it. I think of BB 10 as a step up from Meego.. or a improved version, with the gestures and all.
    08-16-13 11:33 PM
    I do not regret buying the Q10, and I'm sure you won't either, but it really depends on what you want from a phone, or rather how you use it.

If you love all the apps on the Play Store, and use your phone for gaming or entertainment, then this phone really won't fit your lifestyle, but if you want a reliable and durable phone that will keep you connected without freezing up, then this phone is the one you want.

Go check it out for yourself! Every single detail about the Q10 is amazing, and you will be impressed by the quality of the photos, display, and of course, they keyboard. This is in no doubt a very high-quality phone, and although the lack of apps is disappointing, it's incredible in so many more important ways.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by javyously; 08-24-13 at 01:06 AM.
    stratax likes this.
    08-17-13 02:31 AM
    OP: To answer your questions:

What do I like most about my Q10?
    1. Wonderful physical keyboard.
    2. BlackBerry Hub.
    3. Reader mode on the browser.
    4. Predictive typing.
    5. Instant Actions.
    6. Excellent battery life.
    7. Cosmetics, dark theme and red light.
    8. Snappy OS.
    9. Really nice sounding speaker with tons of bass notes.

Result: I use my phone much more than I used my previous (Android) phone. 90% of the time, the apps I need are email, Todo list, texting, calendar, browser and Crackberry. In my car, I use Maps. For most of these apps, except Maps, the Q10 absolutely rocks.

What do I dislike most about my Q10?
    1. Small app selection.
    2. Poor quality control on paid apps.
    3. Limited camera functionality.
    4. Limited Maps functionality.

Priceless: The ability to happily crank out a long message like this without worrying about inadvertent typing errors. Yes, for me, the speed of typing is secondary. The pleasure and consistency of typing is more important :-).

BBQ10
    moody, gabbleratchet and stratax like this.
    08-17-13 02:48 AM
    I still would buy a Q10 and if those floating around rumours are the only reasons stopping you from buying it - think again. At the moment there is a lot of gloom and doom going around here, what BlackBerry is doing now has already been mentioned (and actually discussed here) in an interview with Thorsten Heins. So I don't know why everybody is going crazy about it, nobody asked those question months back when the new BB10 devices were released. Now they just made that interview statement official and are formaly starting those already announced talks, everybody and especially the media is going crazy about it.

I'd rather focus on the device itself than caring about stuff going on more in the background. I still enjoy my Q10 like I did when I got it three months ago, actually today I got it exactly three months ago. It is a great device, great battery life, decent keyboard and still a somewhat "compact" phone. The display could be brighter and in general I don't like that SuperAMOLED technology BBRY has chosen, my three year old Symbian Nokias have better quality AMOLED screens with better blacks and better outdoor readability.
    On the software side, there could be more native apps available, however I don't miss actually many apps right now. The OS is getting new features as new releases are rolling out, although this happens a tad too slow and uncoordinated for my taste.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    stratax likes this.
    08-17-13 04:09 AM
    It's a good phone if you have been away from BlackBerry for a while and are thinking of coming back after android/ I phone or always liked you partners BlackBerry. If you already own a BlackBerry 9900 or other decent os7 phone and want a more modern phone that does the same as your old phone but faster then you have no options to upgrade. That's where all the negatives come in. That said a Q10 is still a lot more BlackBerry than any android or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    moody and stratax like this.
    08-17-13 04:28 AM
    I had a Z10 from launch (before, really, because I was lucky to get a Dev Alpha device last year), and I got very comfortable with the full-touch form factor. There's the odd quibble, but the Z10 keyboard is the best virtual keyboard out there. Period. The catch is, there's enough of a learning curve to using it effectively that it can take a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately, both mine and my wife's Z10s had issues at the same time, and one of them had to be sent back to BlackBerry for repair. We wound up needing another phone, and I decided to try a Q10 just to see how different an experience it is, and I found it to be a surprisingly different experience.

The Z10 is a very nice full-touch slab. The Q10 feels like a "real" BlackBerry. Not just because of the keyboard, but the proportions and the way it feels in the hand. I was very surprised. Battery life is excellent. The keyboard feels fantastic and has good word completion, though I still suspect that the virtual keyboard on the Z10 is SOOO good it might still be just a bit faster.

I miss the larger screen on the Z, especially for turning the phone to landscape for more detailed websites. OTOH, Reader Mode is very easy to get to on the Q (just hit the R key), so that helps a bit.
    08-17-13 05:54 AM
    I think you have to ignore popular press and people who don't know anything official. Is it a drag that 98% of your friends own other devices and you own a Q10? Yeah, it is a drag but you won't regret getting this phone. The keyboard, the hub, the battery life, the ability to easily swap battery, hdmi out, the OS (do not underestimate the quality of this OS and how integrated it is into the device--docs to go, remember etc.). Great phone. Hope BlackBerry gets its act together with marketing and apps

Posted via CB10
    stratax likes this.
    08-17-13 07:09 AM
    I've been wanting to own a BlackBerry even since the first Bold came out and never did buy one (can't afford back then). After years of Nokia, iPhone and Android (up to the latest Xperia Z Ultra), I am using Q10 now full time as sole device(im not a multiple devices guy) for almost four months now and I love it more and more each day. With years being spoilt with kabillion apps in the other platforms, it's weird that I don't miss them at all as all the apps I truly need works wonderfully and seamlessly with BB10 (eg. Dropbox File Manager integration). If you are fully aware and understand the limitations and advantages of BB10 and Q10 to other platforms and devices, I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

One word to describe Q10 as a smartphone for me: Delightful.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 09:22 AM
    I've been wanting to own a BlackBerry even since the first Bold came out and never did buy one (can't afford back then). After years of Nokia, iPhone and Android (up to the latest Xperia Z Ultra), I am using Q10 now full time as sole device(im not a multiple devices guy) for almost four months now and I love it more and more each day. With years being spoilt with kabillion apps in the other platforms, it's weird that I don't miss them at all as all the apps I truly need works wonderfully and seamlessly with BB10 (eg. Dropbox File Manager integration). If you are fully aware and understand the limitations and advantages of BB10 and Q10 to other platforms and devices, I doubt you'll regret the purchase.

One word to describe Q10 as a smartphone for me: Delightful.

Posted via CB10
    This. I loved Nokia back then (they died after killing the N9 imo). I still adore the Xperia line up, but i got sick and tired of android, also didnt use many of the features.. had like 1 million apps installed, and actually used.. 5? lol.
    Part of it is the fact that i have a PS Vita for my mobile gaming, getting a tablet soon for pure entertainment/college use. So honestly, the Q10 will fit my needs perfectly now that i think about it.. emailing/texts is what i mostly use my phone for now.

Anyways, I can tell i will already like the BlackBerry community a lot! You guys helped a lot with my decision. I'm sure if i posted something like this in an android forum i would've been flamed from the start for no reason.
    08-17-13 10:15 AM
    it depends on what you want to use it for. I have no love of the q10, and for me it was the worst phone I have ever bought. However that is because it doesn't work the way I expected it to based on the experiences I had with previous Blackberry phones, and can only view it as 2 steps forward and one HUGE leap back.

I have a suspicion that my concerns with the device may not be your concerns, and it is not my intent to turn every potential q10 buyer away from them based on my experiences. I do feel an obligation to make sure people have the benefit of experiences of others though, whether they be positive or negative.

It is a good phone, in the modern sense of smartphones. I have to say if you have had various androids and not been happy with them, Its not clear what exactly led to that?

My complaints with the q10 may be resolved by the time it is EOL if I'm lucky, but we shall see. For you, lack of apps will not concern you , so you can disregard that. Having never had a previous Blackberry I suspect my issues with the navigation in the OS may not trouble you to the same extent. All i would say is don't listen to people who say that anyone who complains about the gesture driven interface just doesn't like change and hasn't given it long enough. Be sure you like the idea and engage with it before you even consider buying. I like change if it brings positive benefits - I deplore it in circumstances like this, where I see it as only change for changes sake that brings less productivity than previously seen on older generation BBOS phones. I've had a q10 for 2 months, and when the keyboard failed (judge quality control on these devices how you will, there are a lot of us who are having this) it was a blessed relief.

What do I think you would like on the q10? It has excellent hardware - fast and speedy and without a hint of lag for the most part. Additionally it has a great camera, with great features. BB10 has some nice modern features and will keep most people happy I think in that regard. It is an attractive enough phone, with one of the best batteries you will likely find on a modern smartphone. People are divided on the amoled screen - other than how it performs in daylight I would say it has a beautiful screen though, and is very easy on the eyes.

My list of negatives are far to long, and i suspect well documented in various other threads so i prefer to leave it on that more positive note in the interests of balance. Think carefully about what you want from a phone, and have a really good play in shops or on friends phones if you can. If you have never had a BB before, you won't compare it to that so perhaps less of an issue for you, and you will be comparing it mostly to iphones and androids. In this, the q10 can hold its own well.
    Your post is confusing, never really explained just why he could like the q10; and when I thought you were going to list them, you say list is too long (after 6 paragraphs)

Posted via Q10
    08-17-13 10:37 AM
    As I see it the biggest down side of the Q10 is it's lack of maturity as far as the OS is concerned. No different than 7.0 in that regard. When Bb10 is compared to 7.0 it is being compared to what 7.0 became after two years of improvements. It was just as lacking in many ways in its infancy.

But if you're someone who doesn't mind using leaked OS's and sideloaded apps you can make the Q10 a very enjoyable experience. At its heart it is a very nice hardware/software combo. But it is in need of refinement which has already happened and is ongoing. Just my 2 cents.
    stratax likes this.
    08-17-13 10:38 AM
    I agree with all the other positive things people have said and add my bit about the GPS. It is rock-solid, and very accurate. I use the built in Maps app, and it is mostly sufficient for me - enough that I don't care to buy another app (and I've heard very good reviews of the native BeMaps app). It has an accuracy of about 20 metres, although in certain specific locations it gives consistently belated directions.

What I find annoying about Maps is that you have to press Go more times than should be necessary. Also, the traffic-optimized feature is very imperfect, as it doesn't collect traffic information from minor roads and can send you on an alternate route into an even bigger traffic jam than on the main roads. This, of course, is not BlackBerry's problem but rather TomTom's.

But overall, the GPS is much better than what I had on my Torch, and will go head to head with any iPhone or Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    kupfernigk and stratax like this.
    08-17-13 12:06 PM
    As far as I can see, if you are in the market at all for a Q10 there are only two things to consider: the Q10 and the iPhone 5. The Q10 can be thought of as an iPhone 5 with:
    downside
    fewer apps
    smaller screen
    Neutral feature difference based on personal preference
    keyboard
    Upsides
    expandability (micro SD)
    Standard micro hdmi video out
    replaceable battery
    long battery life
    nfc
    If the upsides beat the downsides, buy one or the other. In my case, it's the Q10.

Both the Q10 and the iPhone beat anything WP8 at the moment, and if you are considering Android you are already showing that you do not regard security as particularly important, so your priorities are different.
    Thunderbuck and stratax like this.
    08-17-13 02:38 PM
    Really like the balance and tone of this exchange. Hope it helped the OP, sure does for someone like me who is thinking of buying one. I'm writing this with a question of 10.2. The leaks sound great and such too. Now my question, the z30 is supposed to be launched with 10.2 as baseline OS. Does that imply the all Z10 & Q10 will automatically receive 10.2 upgrades as well? Any any new Z10 & Q10 will come with 10.2 pre loaded?
    08-17-13 02:44 PM
    Really like the balance and tone of this exchange. Hope it helped the OP, sure does for someone like me who is thinking of buying one. I'm writing this with a question of 10.2. The leaks sound great and such too. Now my question, the z30 is supposed to be launched with 10.2 as baseline OS. Does that imply the all Z10 & Q10 will automatically receive 10.2 upgrades as well? Any any new Z10 & Q10 will come with 10.2 pre loaded?
    It will take some time before all phones will ship with 10.2. Depends on Carrier release and approval. As always the US will likely lag behind.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 03:44 PM
    I have never downloaded a leaked OS--too paranoid it will do something funny to my device. What are others experiences?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 04:08 PM
    Yes it's worth it. Shut up and buy.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 04:11 PM
    I have never downloaded a leaked OS--too paranoid it will do something funny to my device. What are others experiences?

Posted via CB10
    No issues for me on the 1247 leak. Enjoy the added features. I do like to tinker though so any issues wouldn't bother me too much.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 04:22 PM
    @twism which added features are the most useful?

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 06:07 PM
    Lock screen and toast notifications. Two off the top of my head.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-13 06:11 PM
    There is no other phone to compare to the Q10. I had an old 9000 and shopped around for something to replace it 2 years ago. I tried many phones but couldn't make a decision.

Suddenly it dawned on me that I only liked the BB!!! So I came close to buying the 9900. But before I did, I started hearing about BB10 and decided to wait for it. Little did I know I would be waiting 2 years!!! Everybody around me was going to iPhone and were laughing at me for being BlackBerry obsessed.

I have now had my Q10 for almost 2 months. I'm so happy I waited!!! During my wait I read a lot about BB10, so when I finally got it I didn't have a very big learning curve. And whenever I can't figure something out, I just come to Crackberry :-). Sometimes I read something on CB that I didn't know I didn't know!!

There is nothing like the typing experience on the Q10. I have heard that the Z10 is easy to type on also, but if I can't get something like this Q10 when my contract is up, I will be lost!! I do not play games on the phone, that's what I have an iPad for. So the only app I am waiting for is the Kindle. If you want to play games, then you don't want the Q10. Otherwise, it is AWESOME!! (you can tell I love typing on this thing - sorry :-).

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    stratax and wang0shawn like this.
    08-17-13 07:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, what i mostly do with my phone now is read forums (engadget, the verge, crackberry, etc etc.) emails, texts, and i do need a decent GPS for my job. and the last is where WP8 fails me. My phone permanently shows that i am 0.5 miles away from where i actually am lol, and has taken me to the wrong place several times, even with a 100% correctly typed address.
    so, with the emails/text the q10 definitely fits my standards (or more than). How has the GPS on the phone been for you guys?

Also, (nothing to do with this thread). It's pretty sad how reps market this device. They simply DON'T. I went to my local AT&T and they actually tried talking me out of getting the q10 because it had a physical keyboard? lol?
    This *******-*** post has made me change my mind yet again and consider a Q10. I am seriously stuck between a Q10 and HTC One now. I still don't have my money to buy either yet so I will see how it goes. But if blackberry is going private, closing, or basically going completely underground, I will have to get a HTC.
    stratax likes this.
    08-17-13 07:21 PM
    If you want a qwerty phone, yes the Q10 is worth it at this point and will be worth it well into next year until a new model replaces it.
    If you download a leaked OS10.2 then it's even more worth it.
    stratax and moody like this.
    08-17-13 07:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    It's been great. I'd say there are some odd issues, but those may be more related to the update breaking certain existing apps. For instance, the preview for Skype doesn't work on 10.2, probably because there will be a better app released when the OS drops.

There are other odd anomalies. Try at your own risk.
    08-18-13 01:15 AM
127 1234 ...