I don't even know where to start really. Basically I have been following (fanboying) BlackBerry for many years now, but never owned a fully functional one. I was really tempted to get a 9900, but i felt like the OS wasn't optimized well. The Q10 though is a different story.. I haven't been excited for a phone this much in a long time (possibly since i bought my G1 back in 09), buuut after reading so many complaints and flame wars on here (and of course the rumors going on about BlackBerry going private) is drawing me from buying it. I have owned too many android phones to count, and really wasn't happy with any of them. i basically spent hours customizing the home-screen, and that's it. I currently own a HTC 8x, and i cannot wait to get a new phone. I am waiting till the 30th till it releases on Sprint. Also, i don't really mind the lack of apps considering the option of side-loading.

I would like to hear opinions from owners of the Q10, both cons and pros. What do you guys like/dislike the most about your Q10?
    Please don't flame me for starting this thread either, i tried some searching to find something similar, but had no luck.
    keypad likes this.
    08-15-13 07:30 PM
    Con to a Q10 - Can't put it down, so the battery dies constantly lol

But in all seriousness, the Q10 is an amazing device, and will be the QWERTY High End into the next year
    stratax, anon721037, 3_M4N and 3 others like this.
    08-15-13 07:34 PM
    Welcome to the Forums. The Q10 is a great device and so is the Z10 in my opinion. It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you ask me it's the perfect device for the Hyper-Connected Users.
    stratax and andy957 like this.
    08-15-13 07:35 PM
    Ditto

Look Kris I spelled it right this time.

Posted via CB10
    Kris Simundson, stratax and Lendo like this.
    08-15-13 07:37 PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, what i mostly do with my phone now is read forums (engadget, the verge, crackberry, etc etc.) emails, texts, and i do need a decent GPS for my job. and the last is where WP8 fails me. My phone permanently shows that i am 0.5 miles away from where i actually am lol, and has taken me to the wrong place several times, even with a 100% correctly typed address.
    so, with the emails/text the q10 definitely fits my standards (or more than). How has the GPS on the phone been for you guys?

Also, (nothing to do with this thread). It's pretty sad how reps market this device. They simply DON'T. I went to my local AT&T and they actually tried talking me out of getting the q10 because it had a physical keyboard? lol?
    TIMSHULL likes this.
    08-15-13 07:46 PM
    I have been a Blackberry user for years from an old Bold, to the Torch, Tour, and then the 9900. I went with an Z10 when it came out, and the thing was amazing but I missed my keypad. As soon as it became available on AT&T I picked up the Q10 and will not go back. This thing is fast and the new OS is second to none. My wife uses and I5, which I refer to as the I Crap by comparison.
    Cons? Small screen. That's the only con other than limited apps but this is changing. Pros? It's just an awesome device. I love it. Hope this helps.
    08-15-13 07:49 PM
    I have been a Blackberry user for years from an old Bold, to the Torch, Tour, and then the 9900. I went with an Z10 when it came out, and the thing was amazing but I missed my keypad. As soon as it became available on AT&T I picked up the Q10 and will not go back. This thing is fast and the new OS is second to none. My wife uses and I5, which I refer to as the I Crap by comparison.
    Cons? Small screen. That's the only con other than limited apps but this is changing. Pros? It's just an awesome device. I love it. Hope this helps.
    Agreed, though, the last physical keyboard device i owned was a palm pixi. I miss being able to take out my phone at work and send a text without looking at it (as bad as that sounds). Every opinion helps! Definitely considering it more
    08-15-13 07:55 PM
    I begged my boss for the Q10 as soon as it came out from Verizon. (I still have my 9810 for personal use). My first day was a NIGHTMARE. I hated it so much that it made me sick to my stomach! But I came here and posted about it and the folks here calmed me down, gave me great advice and tips. Mostly they encouraged me to keep playing with it and give it a few days.

Now I LOVE it. Yes there are still many draw backs with the current OS (10.1.0.2011) but the 10.2.0.1047 takes care of a lot of those issues for me. Unfortunately my phone has to go back b/c it has defective headphone jack so I had to revert back to 10.1.0.2011. BUT my replacement phone will be here tomorrow and I will side load a leaked OS on it.

Just know there are still bugs or whatever you want to call them in both OS's but those should continue to be remedied with each new release.
    digitladestined and stratax like this.
    08-15-13 07:58 PM
    I begged my boss for the Q10 as soon as it came out from Verizon. (I still have my 9810 for personal use). My first day was a NIGHTMARE. I hated it so much that it made me sick to my stomach! But I came here and posted about it and the folks here calmed me down, gave me great advice and tips. Mostly they encouraged me to keep playing with it and give it a few days.

Now I LOVE it. Yes there are still many draw backs with the current OS (10.1.0.2011) but the 10.2.0.1047 takes care of a lot of those issues for me. Unfortunately my phone has to go back b/c it has defective headphone jack so I had to revert back to 10.1.0.2011. BUT my replacement phone will be here tomorrow and I will side load a leaked OS on it.

Just know there are still bugs or whatever you want to call them in both OS's but those should continue to be remedied with each new release.
    Thanks for the reply. it is understandable for your hate of the OS when first using it, going from OS 7 to 10 must be annoying haha. I've played around with it a little bit inside Verizon and at&t and i loved it. i just haven't felt it outside a security tag, unfortunately. What are the main bugs that..bug you?
    08-15-13 08:19 PM
    Do it. You won't regret it. However, plan to allow a few days or a week to get yourself familiar with this new device and OS

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    moody and stratax like this.
    08-15-13 08:24 PM
    Thanks for the reply. it is understandable for your hate of the OS when first using it, going from OS 7 to 10 must be annoying haha. I've played around with it a little bit inside Verizon and at&t and i loved it. i just haven't felt it outside a security tag, unfortunately. What are the main bugs that..bug you?
    I think it will depend on what you use your phone for.

Posted via CB10
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 08:27 PM
    Go for it, you will not be disappointed. I can't find any apps on my nexus that i could not live without on the BBRY. As long as you are comfortable with sideloading a few key apps like google maps and pocket in my case and a few short comings like having to use m.www apps like uber, which are minor humiliations. Things like Instagram not really formatting all that well on 720x720 are a little annoying. The only place where BB10 is kind of weak is the contacts function where BBOS7 was pretty great and Android is pulling ahead. GPS is accurate but not speedy, at least in NYC, but works well with google navigation.

The keyboard is the real deal, i often find myself writing shorter emails on my bb even sitting in front of my desktop...kind of nuts... but it is fast and for me the best mobile device. I tried the Z10 but hate the glass keyboard, Z10 is certainly superior to ios or android keyboards but nothing beats the Q when communication is the priority of using a device.

I don't do social so i can't comment on that stuff but for doing work it's a great device.
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 09:42 PM
    • If you have the font larger than 9 you can only see the first two lines you type in a text message. Font 9 or smaller is fine.

• Some of my contacts will randomly disappear. I have added a couple of them more than once this week..

• Some of my word substitutions will disappear..

• Can't copy and paste more than one word at the time.

• Absence of the track pad makes websites with dropdown menus un-navigational

• If you zoom a page it becomes too "buggy" to move it around

These are the ones that come to mind right now but it seems like there are a few more.

These are not bugs but just things missing from OS 10 that I use daily on my OS 7 (which is the only thing keeping me from upgrading my 9810):

• Cant create groups in contacts

• Cant run headless apps like weather and color id

• My Facebook friends show up in my contacts even though I told it not to. (Not sure if it's a bug or an unchangeable feature in FB or BB - either way I didn't want all those contacts added to my phones contact list...)

• Emails are deleted from both the phone and the mailbox automatically without the choice

• No longer able to call someone directly from their text message

• No speed dials from keyboard

• Stock ringtones and message tones are awful

• The end call button is in the same location as the swipe up gesture needed to leave the phone screen and multi-task to check on an incoming text or email

• Screen way too dim for me

BUT I do love how fast the browser is and the most important new feature for me is the ability to use it as a hotspot and be able to talk on it at the same time. I like to go out of town or work "poolside" and this feature makes that possible for me. This and the new stuff coming in the next OS release is exciting.

The thing to remember is what is important to me may or may not be a big deal for you.
    08-15-13 09:43 PM
    i got mine cheap so not complaining but if i had paid full price then i probobly have some sort of buyers remorse. its not that the phone is bad, its top notch but lack of customizarion, hacks and apps. i know thats not the selling point of this phone so if you need a solid text, messaging, light browsing then this is a great phone. for me the battery time is one of the longest i had in a smartphone.

i like the customization of android but also prefer a portrait keyboard phone and that why i bought the q10. its my first blackberry phone and thought i give it a shot.
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 09:46 PM
    I think the future of BlackBerry shouldn't be to much of a factor in your decision of the Q10.

My logic is that by the time any decision actually effects the product pipeline it will most likely be time to upgrade your phone. Maybe it's something to consider for the next generation of BlackBerry phones but not this years offerings.

I admit I don't know how long you want to keep your phone or how important inviting in a ecosystem is for you but those are just my thoughts..

If you like the phone and can live by with what BlackBerry World is offering then dive in

Posted via CB10
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 09:47 PM
    as soon as you get it do the 10.2.XXXX leak upgrade, much better than 10.1.X's. Also i don't know why so many folks whine about battery i get through a full work day with heavy usage and still have 35-40% battery left. Not as solid as my 9930 was but still better than Nexus or iPhone, i can even get through the next morning before needing a charge.
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 09:48 PM
    as soon as you get it do the 10.2.XXXX leak upgrade, much better than 10.1.X's. Also i don't know why so many folks whine about battery i get through a full work day with heavy usage and still have 35-40% battery left. Not as solid as my 9930 was but still better than Nexus or iPhone, i can even get through the next morning before needing a charge.
    i agree. 10.2 seems to run faster and seems to be more responsive than 10.1, battery is on par if not better than 10.1

i too still have over 50 percent of battery after a good full workday of moderate to heavy use, mainly using the internet for me. i think battery life is more dependent on your network connection tho. im with t mobile and i have great connection here in san diego.
    stratax likes this.
    08-15-13 09:52 PM
    Wow, great replies. I am leaning towards getting it now, definitely. The contacts list bug sounds annoying, but the bugs on WP8 are pretty bad as well and there are two updates out ATM that i wont be getting for the longest time (because at&t sucks, and HTC simply doesn't care much for WP8 anymore it seems). So it really isn't that big of an issue. Is there a way to back up all of your contacts just in case it does happen? like, via desktop software. & im sure the q10 will beat the 8x in terms of battery life by a LOT. Battery life has never been a huge issue for me, i work at Staples so i can always just plug it in literally anywhere lol.

Now it is just waiting till the 30th it feels like its been forever already, haha.

Do you guys ever get stopped and asked what phone you're using, or just complements? (nothing important, just curious). I get stopped all the time for my phone (because i have the Yellow version), but as soon as i say its WP8 they instantly become not interested hahah. The reason i ask is because its pretty rare to see anyone with a BB, everytime i see somebody with one i have to stop and ask them about it xD
    08-16-13 09:34 AM
    After using the Q10 for the past few months, I am certain I could not go back to a touch screen keyboard. Still have my iPhone 5, and it just feels wrong in comparison.

I'll be waiting for the next flagship Q iteration.
    08-16-13 09:52 AM
    I have a Q, absolutely enjoying it. Never had a minute of regret. I am a QWERTY guy, and there will never be a touchscreen good enough for me. BB may be a completely different company next year at this time, but as long as they have a QWERTY, they will have me.
    keypad likes this.
    08-16-13 10:03 AM
    Go for it! Love the device, a bit downside is apps but nothing to die for..
    08-16-13 10:10 AM
    That contacts list bug has never occurred with my Q10 and I have around 500 contacts and I add more every week. So I wouldn't worry too much about that!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 11:46 AM
    Go for it....good phone, good for messaging, great battery over the z10.
    But who cared if BB goes private, does it mean the day it does happen all the phones are going stop working.
    its like when GM went belly up....people still bought their cars, they worked, you can start the engine and drive it....
    stratax likes this.
    08-16-13 11:47 AM
    I love my Q10. It's almost impossible to put down. This phone is crazy fast. When people using 10.2 say that it's even faster, I basically don't believe them because I'm not capable of imagining anything faster. Side loading will take care of some of your app wants/needs but something that you will love about this phone are instant actions and keyboard shortcuts. Those are two things that no other phone has and ther is no app for. It definitely helps make the Q10 a joy to use, especially if you consider yourself hyper connected. Best of luck!

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    stratax likes this.
    08-16-13 06:16 PM
    it depends on what you want to use it for. I have no love of the q10, and for me it was the worst phone I have ever bought. However that is because it doesn't work the way I expected it to based on the experiences I had with previous Blackberry phones, and can only view it as 2 steps forward and one HUGE leap back.

I have a suspicion that my concerns with the device may not be your concerns, and it is not my intent to turn every potential q10 buyer away from them based on my experiences. I do feel an obligation to make sure people have the benefit of experiences of others though, whether they be positive or negative.

It is a good phone, in the modern sense of smartphones. I have to say if you have had various androids and not been happy with them, Its not clear what exactly led to that?

My complaints with the q10 may be resolved by the time it is EOL if I'm lucky, but we shall see. For you, lack of apps will not concern you , so you can disregard that. Having never had a previous Blackberry I suspect my issues with the navigation in the OS may not trouble you to the same extent. All i would say is don't listen to people who say that anyone who complains about the gesture driven interface just doesn't like change and hasn't given it long enough. Be sure you like the idea and engage with it before you even consider buying. I like change if it brings positive benefits - I deplore it in circumstances like this, where I see it as only change for changes sake that brings less productivity than previously seen on older generation BBOS phones. I've had a q10 for 2 months, and when the keyboard failed (judge quality control on these devices how you will, there are a lot of us who are having this) it was a blessed relief.

What do I think you would like on the q10? It has excellent hardware - fast and speedy and without a hint of lag for the most part. Additionally it has a great camera, with great features. BB10 has some nice modern features and will keep most people happy I think in that regard. It is an attractive enough phone, with one of the best batteries you will likely find on a modern smartphone. People are divided on the amoled screen - other than how it performs in daylight I would say it has a beautiful screen though, and is very easy on the eyes.

My list of negatives are far to long, and i suspect well documented in various other threads so i prefer to leave it on that more positive note in the interests of balance. Think carefully about what you want from a phone, and have a really good play in shops or on friends phones if you can. If you have never had a BB before, you won't compare it to that so perhaps less of an issue for you, and you will be comparing it mostly to iphones and androids. In this, the q10 can hold its own well.
    xanadome and stratax like this.
    08-16-13 06:47 PM
127 123 ...