I would never consider this 2-3 years ago because BB10 was so bad. Now that the OS is getting where it should have been at launch I'm looking at the Q5 or Q10.

I have been a long time 9900 user. I bought a Classic at launch but now carry 2 phones. 9900/Classic

I'm thinking of retiring the Classic in favor of a Q5 or Q10 and only carrying one phone. Carrying one phone will save me $500/year.

What is the difference between the Q5 and Q10?

And does the Q5 have double typing issues?

I'm on ATT i see SQN100-1 and SQN100-5 are compatible with ATT is there any advantage to either model? Is the SQN100-5 more desirable because it also works in Europe?

Going to one phone will eliminate carring a battery pack and i could use it naked and carry it in my pocket.

I have replace parts on the 9900 so if the replacement keyboard fixes the double typing issue I might buy the Q10 over the Q5

Is the quality that much better?

Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150807_122229.jpg
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-10-15 at 09:09 AM.
    08-10-15 08:53 AM
    All questions a good google search could have answered, but let me get you started.

Q10 vs Q5 vs Classic
    Mr4aces likes this.
    08-10-15 08:57 AM
    Looks like different processor and non removable battery. Is the CPU better or worst?
    08-10-15 09:14 AM
    Looks like different processor and non removable battery. Is the CPU better or worst?
    Q5 camera 5mp (8mp on q10)
    Q5 inter storage 8gb (16gb on q10)
    Q5 lcd screen (amoled q10)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    ibnunowshad and Mr4aces like this.
    08-10-15 09:29 AM
    Q10 !

You'll love this little buddy.
    08-10-15 10:40 AM
    No double typing on q5.

Better specs and materials on q10. (caveat I never used a q10).

Similar form factor on both. If cost is similar get q10. If you find a bargain q5, then it should work fine for you.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei and Mr4aces like this.
    08-10-15 12:10 PM
    I changed from the Q10 to the Q5 several months back because of the double typing problem on the Q10. The double typing was the deal breaker for me. I just couldn't put up with it.

I have never heard of or personally experienced any such problem on the Q5.

I actually like the 5 better now than the 10, after a few months. Better screen with LCD, types perfectly, and slightly narrower for easier one handed typing.

And despite the specs difference, I don't notice any performance difference.

The only caveat is to get a soft gel case for it for perhaps $10 or less.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 11:46 AM
    I changed from the Q10 to the Q5 several months back because of the double typing problem on the Q10. The double typing was the deal breaker for me. I just couldn't put up with it.

I have never heard of or personally experienced any such problem on the Q5.

I actually like the 5 better now than the 10, after a few months. Better screen with LCD, types perfectly, and slightly narrower for easier one handed typing.

And despite the specs difference, I don't notice any performance difference.

The only caveat is to get a soft gel case for it for perhaps $10 or less.

Posted via CB10
    Thaks for the info. How is the battery life on the Q5?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 01:17 PM
    i have a Q5 which was bought as a possible BB10 replacement for the 9900's used in our business, it was rejected and I now have it at home for personal use and it still works well, it has five E mail accounts/ twitter/Facebook etc and the battery lasts easily a full day of use so non removable battery has not been an issue yet, the keyboard is ok not 9900 quality but double typing has not appeared after almost two years, it still runs on 10.2 why update if it is working ok, it came with a Blackberry hard shell case as part of the deal and has protected it very well looks as new worth buying one if choosing a Q5, why the Q5 instead of Q10 over half the price at the time, good luck with your choice Q5 or Q10,
    08-11-15 02:37 PM
    You can buy a spare keyboard on Amazon for the Q10 for pretty cheap and it's an easy phone to take apart by watching tutorials on YouTube. I never used the Q5 so no info on that. Besides you can carry a spare battery using the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold and ayngling like this.
    08-11-15 03:29 PM
    Hey Mr4aces, long time no hear. You and I are the 9900 fans if you remember me. I have both the Q10 and the Q5. Depending on what you need, will determine which one, but you coming from a 9900 awhile back and still loving it means to me that the Q5 would work fine. I prefer the Q5 over my Q10. Yes, the memory is 8gb, but I don't play games so I usually have 2gb left over once the phone is fully setup the way I like it. Music, pictures and video can go on the SD card. Yes, it has an LCD screen, but don't get too excited as it isn't as bright as the Classic or your 9900 in direct sun. It is only just slightly brighter than the Q10, so don't let that be the deciding factor. The battery life is great. My day starts at 4 am and ends @ 10 pm and I still have 30 to 40 percent left of moderate use. The keyboard is the best out of the Classic and the Q10. Here is the order for me of the best keyboards- 9900, Q5, Classic then Q10. I can almost type as fast on the Q5 like the 9900. It is much lighter than the Q10 and as much as I like the Classic, the weight is driving me crazy, which is why I like the Q5, even though it doesn't have the essential buttons (end/send, back, menu key and trackpad). And like you, I love those buttons, so that should tell you lot about how much I like the Q5 to let those buttons go for the other conveniences the Q5 offers. It is almost a perfect phone with 2 weakness. If you can lives with these, I say get this over the Q10 as it has no double typing issues. First weakness is the GPS. I have 3 Q5's and all of them are weaker than any of my other Blackberries. Even my 9100 tracks better than this phone. I can't really rely on this phone to do turn by turn navigation. Sometimes it gets by and sometimes it leaves me hanging. The other weakness is the speaker phone. It is the worse phone out of all the phones whether it is a blackberry, android or iphone to use as a speaker phone. Talking directly into the handset is good and using a wire is ok. Using a bluetooth ear piece or bluetooth speaker phone work great. This is how I use it in the car is with a Jabra Tour speaker phone. So this is my work around for that but there is no work around for the GPS.
    If you are fine with those to weakness, then I would suggest the Q5 over the Q10 as I know you love your 9900 keyboard.
    Cpu's are different but it is hardly noticeable between the two. Just don't compare it to the passport as that is very noticeable. Maybe someday blackberry will make a Q5 with better specs with a better GPS and speaker phone and put the essential buttons with the bigger screen as the Classic, but keep the weight down. I like the Q5 so much that even if they didn't put the essential buttons in but did the rest, I would buy it on launch day. I typed all of this on the Q5 just now and enjoyed every minute.
    Good luck and keep me posted.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 06:17 PM
    Thaks for the info. How is the battery life on the Q5?

Posted via CB10
    The Q5 battery is as good as the Q10, and actually maybe even better. The spec rating of the q5 battery is a little higher than the 10 actually.

I'm a pretty heavy user of the phone, mostly for basic communications ie email, text, BBM, and phone calls. I run my business with it as well as personal communications.

From 7am to 11pm, it usually is down to 40 %.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab a Q5 now if you can.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and topopman like this.
    08-11-15 07:32 PM
    Hey Mr4aces, long time no hear. You and I are the 9900 fans if you remember me. I have both the Q10 and the Q5. Depending on what you need, will determine which one, but you coming from a 9900 awhile back and still loving it means to me that the Q5 would work fine. I prefer the Q5 over my Q10. Yes, the memory is 8gb, but I don't play games so I usually have 2gb left over once the phone is fully setup the way I like it. Music, pictures and video can go on the SD card. Yes, it has an LCD screen, but don't get too excited as it isn't as bright as the Classic or your 9900 in direct sun. It is only just slightly brighter than the Q10, so don't let that be the deciding factor. The battery life is great. My day starts at 4 am and ends @ 10 pm and I still have 30 to 40 percent left of moderate use. The keyboard is the best out of the Classic and the Q10. Here is the order for me of the best keyboards- 9900, Q5, Classic then Q10. I can almost type as fast on the Q5 like the 9900. It is much lighter than the Q10 and as much as I like the Classic, the weight is driving me crazy, which is why I like the Q5, even though it doesn't have the essential buttons (end/send, back, menu key and trackpad). And like you, I love those buttons, so that should tell you lot about how much I like the Q5 to let those buttons go for the other conveniences the Q5 offers. It is almost a perfect phone with 2 weakness. If you can lives with these, I say get this over the Q10 as it has no double typing issues. First weakness is the GPS. I have 3 Q5's and all of them are weaker than any of my other Blackberries. Even my 9100 tracks better than this phone. I can't really rely on this phone to do turn by turn navigation. Sometimes it gets by and sometimes it leaves me hanging. The other weakness is the speaker phone. It is the worse phone out of all the phones whether it is a blackberry, android or iphone to use as a speaker phone. Talking directly into the handset is good and using a wire is ok. Using a bluetooth ear piece or bluetooth speaker phone work great. This is how I use it in the car is with a Jabra Tour speaker phone. So this is my work around for that but there is no work around for the GPS.
    If you are fine with those to weakness, then I would suggest the Q5 over the Q10 as I know you love your 9900 keyboard.
    Cpu's are different but it is hardly noticeable between the two. Just don't compare it to the passport as that is very noticeable. Maybe someday blackberry will make a Q5 with better specs with a better GPS and speaker phone and put the essential buttons with the bigger screen as the Classic, but keep the weight down. I like the Q5 so much that even if they didn't put the essential buttons in but did the rest, I would buy it on launch day. I typed all of this on the Q5 just now and enjoyed every minute.
    Good luck and keep me posted.

Posted via CB10
    Yes Rick I remember.

Thank you for your in depth review of he Q5 vs Q10. I can live with the speaker but I don't think I can live with the weaker signal. We live 14 mile out of town in a remote mountain area. If I'm lucky I get 3 bars, most of the time only 1 or 2 bars. I constantly drop phone calls. I work around this by texting or emails. Yes I know about boosters, but I refuse to buy one on my nickel.

I was leaning towards the Q5 and still might go that way. What's crazy is how much I'm tying up on phones. I almost impulse bought a P9983 last night. I tried to justify it by saying eliminate 1 phone line (save $500/year) and return the new ATT Classic and accessories I just bought. I think the P9983, Q10 and Q5 will be like the 9900 last almost forever and will be a favorite because of the size.
    08-11-15 07:44 PM
    Oh, I hope I didn't confuse you. Only the GPS is weaker, not the cellular network signal. In fact, the Q5 is awesome on picking up weak cellular signals, which is why I take it when I go skiing. It is better at receiving cell signals over my Q10, Passport and 9900. And is on par, if not slightly better, than my Classic. I'm on Tmobile. I hope this helps.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-15 08:08 PM
    Yes thanks again. Q5 it is. Now to find one at a decent price

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-11-15 08:16 PM
    I would pick the Q10 if it were me. I still think it's a great little device with same power as the Classic. I am getting another one on Friday. I've had a lot of Q10's and I have never experienced the double typing. I have never had the Q5 though, so I can't really speak for it.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    08-11-15 08:25 PM
    I would pick the Q10 if it were me. I still think it's a great little device with same power as the Classic. I am getting another one on Friday. I've had a lot of Q10's and I have never experienced the double typing. I have never had the Q5 though, so I can't really speak for it.

Since you are on the Q10 forum, is changing out the keyboard solving the DD problem?

I prefer a removable battery but I have to admit the Classic battery life is good.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 12:00 AM
    Changing the Q10 keyboard does solve the double typing problem, at least temporarily. For some, it has recurred again after a few months. For others, it has not, and the fix seems permanent.
    Mr4aces and ayngling like this.
    08-12-15 12:44 AM
    Since you are on the Q10 forum, is changing out the keyboard solving the DD problem?

I prefer a removable battery but I have to admit the Classic battery life is good.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly I'm not sure. I never had to replace the keyboard on any Q10 I've had.

The removable battery is a plus, and the Classic battery life is great also. Good luck on your decision!

Mr4aces likes this.
    08-12-15 05:26 AM
    The Q10 is a fine phone (for BB10) and the battery life is stunning, it also has the advantage of a replaceable battery pack, so that you can either swap out the battery or plug in the micro_USB lead to top up. However I've rarely had to swap the battery on my Q10, except when I'm working it like crazy. There are many good things about the Q10 and I enjoy using it .... BUT .... I still find myself going back to my 9900 and I know that you (Mr4aces) will probably do the same. It's not just the trackpad that pulls me back, if it was then I'd buy the Classic, it's the whole way that OS7 just works more efficiently for communication. We and others have discussed this infinitum on the 9900 CB forum and, although both are fine devices, I seriously suspect that neither the Q5 or Q10 will allow you (Mr4aces) to really give up your 9900 - if the Classic hasn't yet converted you, there's little hope that a Q will do so.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    08-12-15 06:22 AM
    The Q10 is a fine phone (for BB10) and the battery life is stunning, it also has the advantage of a replaceable battery pack, so that you can either swap out the battery or plug in the micro_USB lead to top up. However I've rarely had to swap the battery on my Q10, except when I'm working it like crazy. There are many good things about the Q10 and I enjoy using it .... BUT .... I still find myself going back to my 9900 and I know that you (Mr4aces) will probably do the same. It's not just the trackpad that pulls me back, if it was then I'd buy the Classic, it's the whole way that OS7 just works more efficiently for communication. We and others have discussed this infinitum on the 9900 CB forum and, although both are fine devices, I seriously suspect that neither the Q5 or Q10 will allow you (Mr4aces) to really give up your 9900 - if the Classic hasn't yet converted you, there's little hope that a Q will do so.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Well OP that have not used the 99 as intensely as us. Can not appreciate the productivity the 99 bares. When I first got the 99 I had hundreds of emails. Moving from a iPhone to the 99 saved me 65%+ of my time.

Never thought I would ever carry 2 phones. What a pain! The Classic would be fine but it is just to heavy and the RAM is only 2gb. Which I petitioned for 3gb from the start. If it was thinner and lighter with a removable battery it it would be alright. Add 3gb RAM, ergonomic keyboard, wireless charging (standard), the BB07 hub and a little better processor it would be great.

I have used the Classic as my primary phone for 8 months now. But I still like the 99 for quick and fast texting.

My thoughts about switching to a Q is this BIS is going to be extinct someday and the 99 needs it for the lighting quick email and texting. Carriers don't like paying for BIS and how much longer will BlackBerry support it? The third party service will just be a slow death because dedicated Legacy users will not like the slower service.

Looking back I'm thinking is was impulse buying that has put my total investment at $850+ to switch to BB10 and the Classic. Now I'm have 2nd and 3rd thoughts about my phones for the next 2 years. It is dumb to have 2 lines "if" you can get by with one line.

Actually value wise it is almost better for "me" to pay $1k for a P9983, delete 1 line off service ($500/ year) and return the Classic and accessories ($450) within the 30 day grace at Amazon. At least the P9983 would definitely be a 2+ year phone. So after one year the Porcshe paid for itself and each year after it saves me $500. Will I be happy? I doubt it.

Who know? Just a little hard to shell out the initial $1k and wait to get refunded. Plus I have to justify it to my wife, who would never understand my analogy.

So that is why I'm looking at a Q!!!

Posted via CB10
    matchr4 likes this.
    08-12-15 07:55 AM
    Hi Mr4aces, that is exactly how I feel. I love my 9900 and would still be using it, but I know it's day will becoming to an end sooner or later. I actually would still be using but they are trying to kill it slowly and force us over to BlackBerry 10. I was so mad that they pulled the plug on BlackBerry traffic. My 9900 was perfectly setup with that app and a few other ones that I didn't need another phone. But now I had no choice but to make the jump. That is why I think you will like the Q5 more than anything because of the keyboard. It is the closest thing for me for the responsiveness, feel and feedback to the 9900. It is lighter than the Q10 and for some strange reason, it feels smaller and is easier to grip and hold with a case around it. Without it, it is even smaller but it is a slippery fish to put it mildly. So I feel a case is a must but that is up to you. I'll post a picture so you can see my white one with the case. I bought it brand new for $139.00 and free shipping---pretty good deal for such an awesome phone. Good luck with your decision.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 03:26 PM
    Here she is!! You can see the Jabra Tour in the reflection.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 03:30 PM
    Well it would help if I attach the pictures.
    Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150812_132733_edit.jpg
    Q10 vs Q5 I'm thinking of switching-img_20150812_132757.jpg
    One is with the case and one without.
    I think it is a nice looking device too.

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar and Bbnivende like this.
    08-12-15 03:32 PM
    Wooow, how did you get the black keyboard on the white Q5?

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 04:48 PM
67 123