As I understand it there are two potential issues:

(a) The service shutdown on 1/4/22
    (b) carrier VoLTE support

For (a), I have seen some conflicting info but it seems like there are steps to make the Q10 independent of those services, and the EOL FAQ's statement that "this functionality will no longer be expected to reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality" is overblown. Correct or incorrect? Is there a consensus about what steps one must take before the shutdown date?

For (b) I have also see conflicting info, but we shouldn't have to wait until 2022 to test it. Does anyone use the BB10 for calls today over VoLTE? Or have people tried it unsuccessfully with the major carriers?

Thanks in advance for any input.
    07-16-21 12:15 PM

For (a), I have seen some conflicting info but it seems like there are steps to make the Q10 independent of those services, and the EOL FAQ's statement that "this functionality will no longer be expected to reliably function, including for data, phone calls, SMS and 9-1-1 functionality" is overblown. Correct or incorrect? Is there a consensus about what steps one must take before the shutdown date?

For (b) I have also see conflicting info, but we shouldn't have to wait until 2022 to test it. Does anyone use the BB10 for calls today over VoLTE? Or have people tried it unsuccessfully with the major carriers?

No, once 3G is shutdown, BB10 devices won't have voice or SMS capabilities.
    07-16-21 12:42 PM
    No, once 3G is shutdown, BB10 devices won't have voice or SMS capabilities.
    No offense but where you are getting this information? I have seen other sources say that the Q10 supports VoLTE for at least some carriers, or did in the past, so it would be good to get to the bottom of this.
    Nicholas Sokach likes this.
    07-16-21 12:53 PM

a) phone will work without blackberry, just a lot fewer apps will be available and some extra work.

b) folks using a BB10 devices are already being kicked off of AT&T, and none of the phones are on anyone's list of supported devices. In fact almost no pre 2015 phone is, as those early generation of LTE devices aren't functional for today's VoLTE. Doesn't matter if its a BlackBerry, Samsung or iPhone... that generation is out. Some talk that the Passport might work... but no evidence of it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-21 01:25 PM
    b) folks using a BB10 devices are already being kicked off of AT&T, and none of the phones are on anyone's list of supported devices. In fact almost no pre 2015 phone is, as those early generation of LTE devices aren't functional for today's VoLTE. Doesn't matter if its a BlackBerry, Samsung or iPhone... that generation is out. Some talk that the Passport might work... but no evidence of it.
    Thanks for the input but I still have some questions. You say pre-2015 phones aren't on the list of supported devices because they don't work. So how do we know they don't work? Even the statement that people are currently being kicked off AT&T contradicts this. I would want to see evidence either way, but I personally would trust user reports over a carrier's list of devices.

I am surprised that people who have these phones haven't tested them and reported the specific model and carrier that worked or didn't. I guess everyone really has moved on to Android/iOS and can't be bothered to move their SIM card? I might test my dormant T-mobile BB10; I would have to sign up for a plan but it wouldn't cost much with an MVNO.
    07-16-21 04:56 PM
    No offense but where you are getting this information? I have seen other sources say that the Q10 supports VoLTE for at least some carriers, or did in the past, so it would be good to get to the bottom of this.
    On some very old threads here and elsewhere. It had to do with old chipsets modems and LTE protocols for data packet transfer and voice packet transfer. The LTE support for BB10 devices is for data protocols only.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 07-16-21 at 06:30 PM.
    07-16-21 05:49 PM
    Thanks for the input but I still have some questions. You say pre-2015 phones aren't on the list of supported devices because they don't work. So how do we know they don't work? Even the statement that people are currently being kicked off AT&T contradicts this. I would want to see evidence either way, but I personally would trust user reports over a carrier's list of devices.
    There were problems with the original implementation of VoLTE with early chipsets - this was an industry-wide issue, not just BB. And so that original implementation hasn't been supported for several years already, by any US carrier. That hasn't been a problem because the phones could also use the 3G call network frequencies to make calls and send/receive SMS info, but when 3G goes away, those phones are going to lose the ability to make/receive calls and SMS.

Carriers have and continue to warn such users and are doing their best to get them converted over to some other device NOW, before they shut things off, so that they have time to sort out any issues, but if the past is any indication, they're going to blacklist all the devices not currently on their white list, because, by policy, they don't allow phones on their network that don't operate as phones.

I get that this isn't what you want to hear, but it's what is going to happen, and, like it or not, that's going to be the end of the line for BB10 devices (as cellular phone devices in the US, anyway). It's also going to be the end of the line for basically every 2015 or older device, including iPhones, as they're all getting kicked off. And think about this: if the carriers are forcing off all of the old iPhone users, who likely outnumber old BB10 users 50:1, then they certainly aren't going to care about shutting off your BB.

Tech moves forward, and old tech gets shut off and left behind. It happens all the time, and you have to accept it and move on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-16-21 08:18 PM
    Have there been reports of BB10 users getting kicked off T-mobile or Verizon? It should have happened by now since they already cut 3G.
    07-17-21 06:50 AM
    Have there been reports of BB10 users getting kicked off T-mobile or Verizon? It should have happened by now since they already cut 3G.
    None of the USA carriers have shutdown 3G nationwide yet officially.
    07-17-21 07:13 AM
    Oh okay. For some reason I thought AT&T was the last hold out and the others already cut it off.
    07-17-21 07:19 AM
    Oh okay. For some reason I thought AT&T was the last hold out and the others already cut it off.
    No, it's the other way around. Verizon and T-Mobile was going to do it earlier, but they both kept pushing the date back.

Actually, I think AT&T had earlier initial deadlines that they extended too. It's just that they had to stop at some point.
    07-17-21 07:58 AM
    I recently learned from Youtuber and /r/dumbphones moderator Jose Briones that T-Mobile still has a 2G network functioning and you can access it through US Mobile[1]. He was using a 2G dumbphone on US Mobile last month[2]. So it may be possible to keep a BBOS or BB10 phone going in the US after the 3G shutdown[3].

Links:
    1. https://old.reddit.com/r/dumbphones/...0_basic_phone/
    3. https://www.lightreading.com/5g/t-mo.../d/d-id/769453
    07-17-21 10:32 AM
    Looks like it might only work via MVNOs though and not tmob proper but I guess nothing is really confirmed concretely. Not even sure what bands that is and what devices have them.
    07-17-21 10:59 AM
    Looks like it might only work via MVNOs though and not tmob proper but I guess nothing is really confirmed concretely. Not even sure what bands that is and what devices have them.
    Based on the specs at banggood.com, the handset in the video has the regular set of 2G bands: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz. Every OS6/OS7/BB10 device should have those.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=1KRrxcd1

As far as networks go, the only network that offers the 2G service that I know of is US Mobile. Given that this is CrackBerry, people will immediately begin to complain about that, but beggars can't be choosers....
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-17-21 at 11:32 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    07-17-21 11:11 AM
    AT&T and T-Mobile are now set for the first of 2022, and Verizon not till the end of 2022...

Phones aren't the issue for them really, as those are easy to replace... it's IoT equipment, some of which have integrated radios that aren't easy to upgrade. So Enterprise or Governments have to spend 10s of thousand to replace whole control panels... thus the extensions.

AT&T has started pushing phone customers to upgrade, only because they can't wait to the last minute and swap over everyone. They are doing it in stages. None of the carriers will activate any of these phones anymore, so they are really hoping most upgrade as a matter of attrition. And there could be some markets where the change over happens earlier, rather than later. Converting 3G to 5G is about utilizing bandwidth and frequencies more effectively. In some congested markets this might need to happen ASAP.
    pdr733 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-19-21 07:54 AM