Couple things I have noticed since I went to BB10.

1) Abysmal boot up time (increased from ~10 seconds w/ pre-BB10 phones to over 1 min) I assume this is "normal" - although no other phone I have ever used is this slow at booting up.

2) No data indication (send/receive icons) on screen. Why would they remove this?

3) screen lock/keypad lock... If you lock the screen (press top button), this should prevent the phone from waking up if any of the qwerty buttons are pressed.
    However - pressing any of these letter keys (that are also numbers) unlocks the screen:
    wersdfzxc or 0
    It doesn't matter if you hold down ALT while pressing them... thereby meaning that the letter W unlocks the screen as well as ALT-W. If pressing anything other than the top button can unlock the screen, then it really isn't locking the screen. For example, when locking the screen (top button), then sliding the phone into your pocket - it is very easy to have any of the 10 buttons pressed that will unlock the screen. Is this normal?

4) When composing an email, there is no way to edit/modify/remove the suggested people that show up in a new email... is there?

03-20-14 11:38 AM
    1. Load Time isn't that long for me, under a minute.

2. The data indicator is indeed gone. I don't really miss it.

3. I tried to test your issue out and on mine I had to hit keys 3 times before it would turn on. With that I have not had an issue of it being on it my pocket and draining the battery. (I also use a password on my phone -- so if it were on the screen would quickly turn off and not pocket dial)

4. I am unsure, but it is useful after a while.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 11:53 AM
    My Q take about 1-2 minutes �to boot up but I don't see it as an issue. Data indication? Seems like instant previews covers incoming and you can always swipe to hub for outgoing. I agree with you on the lock screen problem, I make way to many "buttt calls" on my Q. The email contact suggestion issue is widely known and will probably be addressed in a future update.�

SQN100-2 /10.2.1.2122
    03-20-14 11:57 AM
    Hi there,

As for number 3, just a quick thought, maybe you already got this setting enabled/disabled. Sreenshot:
    Q10 - are these things normal?-img_20140320_185704.png

So, in System Settings/Display, you should check out the options that can be seen. To be honest, you're right, pressing those letters will wake up the device, but you'd also have to swipe up to get anything functioning. Another option would be if you'd also have a look at here: System Settings/Security and Privacy/Lock Screen
    Q10 - are these things normal?-img_20140320_191142.png

Love to live.
    03-20-14 12:00 PM
    1) Hmmm... Here's the test I just did (Q10 10.2.1.2141)
    Press power button
    18 seconds - BlackBerry name appears
    33 seconds - Blackberry progress circle appears
    1 min - circle is at 37%
    1min 47 - carrier logo appears
    1min 50 - done

2) I do like to know when my device is send/receiving - If I remember correctly, it is not on the Playbook either?

3) Strange, but yes - I only have to press any of those 10 buttons once and it "wakes up".

4) If you no longer communicate w/ someone who is in that list, I find it rather annoying to have see their name every time you compose a new email... but more annoying that there is no option to edit or turn off this "feature".
    03-20-14 12:04 PM

1) Abysmal boot up time (increased from ~10 seconds w/ pre-BB10 phones to over 1 min) I assume this is "normal" - although no other phone I have ever used is this slow at booting up.

2) No data indication (send/receive icons) on screen. Why would they remove this?

3) screen lock/keypad lock... If you lock the screen (press top button), this should prevent the phone from waking up if any of the qwerty buttons are pressed.
    However - pressing any of these letter keys (that are also numbers) unlocks the screen:
    wersdfzxc or 0
    It doesn't matter if you hold down ALT while pressing them... thereby meaning that the letter W unlocks the screen as well as ALT-W. If pressing anything other than the top button can unlock the screen, then it really isn't locking the screen. For example, when locking the screen (top button), then sliding the phone into your pocket - it is very easy to have any of the 10 buttons pressed that will unlock the screen. Is this normal?

4) When composing an email, there is no way to edit/modify/remove the suggested people that show up in a new email... is there?

Yes, the boot time. Is painful. Could be worse. I'm guessing you don't have a PlayBook.
    I'm not missing the icons.
    Yes, the lock screen sucks! Try to put the phone in a holster on your side and bump a key and now it's unlocked and most of the time running something like Search or Camera.
    We should have the option to remove the email suggestions. I send most of my emails from my PlayBook because of editing is impossible on the Q10. So the suggestions I get is to do not respond emails like Groupon, Ebay, Amazon and so on.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:15 PM
    The boot time constructive criticism is noteworthy. I'll add that even after the phone is booted to the home screen, the hub/email may still be inaccessible due to continued loading. Like some of the Tablet OS versions, BB10 loads quite a bit of rarely used awesomeness into RAM including, for complete awesomeness, a python 3 interpreter.

Having said that, it has been a couple of weeks since I've rebooted my Z30. I just never turn it off and since there aren't a lot of problematic memory leaks like the old BBOS, boot time is no longer a real world problem for most users. My z30 charges and I use it, then it charges some more, then I use it some more, but I never need to shut it off. I don't turn it off while traveling, either. "Airplane mode" is good enough there. I think someone should rarely if ever have to turn off and turn on a Q10 or Z30. The battery life in both cases should be sufficient to prevent shut downs.

But, where this really hurts is with salespeople. I remember going to Best Buy to check out a Playbook back in the day and the sales person didn't have one charged and booted up on the floor, so they brought a demo unit out of a cabinet, plugged it in, and we all watched as it took several minutes to boot up. The sales person added -- for every minute it spent rotating the bokeh during boot up -- that BlackBerry devices are slower than Apple devices and that I could buy an iPad for same price and it'll be much faster. I countered, "It'll be much faster at booting up, but is the (first or second gen) iPad really much faster." Answer: "Yes, much faster, you can tell by how slow this is booting up. The iPad would already be running by now." I didn't argue further because (a) the guy was an ***** and (b) he was sincerely trying to help me.
    world saviour likes this.
    03-20-14 12:22 PM

wersdfzxc or 0

Put a password lock on your phone. Then if you bump your phone, worst case it brings up the password screen. I've never once had a problem with the Q10 dialing the way you've described. I'm not trying to minimize the issue as it is very real for you and others, but putting password lock would solve your issue.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:23 PM
    Put a password lock on your phone. Then if you bump your phone, worst case it brings up the password screen. I've never once had a problem with the Q10 dialing the way you've described. I'm not trying to minimize the issue as it is very real for you and others, but putting password lock would solve your issue.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, until it will not take your password and wipes your device. Been there done that.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:33 PM
    Hi there,

As for number 3, just a quick thought, maybe you already got this setting enabled/disabled. Sreenshot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140320_185704.png 
Views:	1129 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	256765

So, in System Settings/Display, you should check out the options that can be seen. To be honest, you're right, pressing those letters will wake up the device, but you'd also have to swipe up to get anything functioning. Another option would be if you'd also have a look at here: System Settings/Security and Privacy/Lock Screen

Name:	IMG_20140320_191142.png 
Views:	1128 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	256769

Love to live.
    If swipe to wake is off any key on left hand side of the keyboard on Q10 will wake up the phone.
    And if you mis getting it in holster and touch the screen it's on.
    Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    I do have a password on the device. That is entirely separate. I am only talking about locking the keyboard.
    The problem is - there is no way to "keyboard lock" if buttons being pressed on the keyboard unlock it.
    Simple as that. It should be called "keyboard lock with the exception of these 10 keys"

I also have "swipe to wake" turned off. However - when you think you have the keyboard locked, if any of the 10 buttons get pressed, it is the equivalent of pressing the top button.... in effect "waking it up" - and what is the next step to fully unlock the keyboard??? At that point - a swipe. Which can happen very easily. 1) push button - keyboard is locked 2) any of the 1-10 buttons get pressed - screen wakes up 3) at this point a simply swipe is all it takes to get to the device.
    03-20-14 12:43 PM
    Yes, the boot time. Is painful. Could be worse. I'm guessing you don't have a PlayBook.
    I'm not missing the icons.
    Yes, the lock screen sucks! Try to put the phone in a holster on your side and bump a key and now it's unlocked and most of the time running something like Search or Camera.
    We should have the option to remove the email suggestions. I send most of my emails from my PlayBook because of editing is impossible on the Q10. So the suggestions I get is to do not respond emails like Groupon, Ebay, Amazon and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I have/had a couple of PlayBooks. Insane boot time. Interestingly Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com doesn't even show the PlayBook under "Devices" anymore:
    Q10 - are these things normal?-capture.jpg
    03-20-14 12:49 PM
    If swipe to wake is off any key on left hand side of the keyboard on Q10 will wake up the phone.
    And if you mis getting it in holster and touch the screen it's on.
    Posted via CB10
    I will argue that not "any key on the left hand side" will wake it up... only the 1-10 (wersdfzxc and 0) buttons.
    Unless you can confirm otherwise?
    03-20-14 12:51 PM
    Oh, I have/had a couple of PlayBooks. Insane boot time. Interestingly Cell Phones, Smartphones & Mobile Phones from BlackBerry.com doesn't even show the PlayBook under "Devices" anymore:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	256786
    What the samhill does the PlayBook not being listed have to do with a long boot time?

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 12:56 PM
    What the samhill does the PlayBook not being listed have to do with a long boot time?

Posted via CB10
    LOL
    Yes, we went a little off-topic on that. Someone assumed I didn't have a PB because I was complaining about Q10 boot times.
    I simply replied that I do have one (agree that boot is 1000x worse), and found it interesting that blackberry.com doesn't even list them anymore. Moving on... nothing to see here...
    dphjeff likes this.
    03-20-14 01:10 PM

I'm sorry but you are mistaken. The ~10 second boot up time on BBOS phones was NOT a boot time, it was a wake-up time when you would "turn off" your phone and put it into a low power standby. BB10 does not have this standby, turning the phone off is like pulling the battery. If you did this on a BBOS phone (of a "full power off") it would take very, VERY long to restart. Much longer than BB10.

So essentially, you arent comparing the same thing here.
    03-20-14 01:31 PM
    I suppose you are technically correct.
    However, in the real world - when a user turns off their phone (powers it off - gets on an airplane, goes to a movie, in a meeting, just wants to be left alone, etc) their experience coming from a previous BB OS to this one will likely be as I have described... abysmal.
    Waiting over a minute for it to come back on... The original BB user base is who is getting shafted here; the C-level execs.
    They are the ones who have little patience for things performing worse than they were previously. And they are the ones who are ditching BB10 (if we're able to convince them to try one in the first place).

This also means that (unlike the old days) you can no longer power off (or "standby" as you call it) your phone and have it wake up if you have a meeting reminder.
    Just my $.02
    03-20-14 02:10 PM
    I suppose you are technically correct.
    However, in the real world - when a user turns off their phone (powers it off - gets on an airplane, goes to a movie, in a meeting, just wants to be left alone, etc) their experience coming from a previous BB OS to this one will likely be as I have described... abysmal.
    Waiting over a minute for it to come back on... The original BB user base is who is getting shafted here; the C-level execs.
    They are the ones who have little patience for things performing worse than they were previously. And they are the ones who are ditching BB10 (if we're able to convince them to try one in the first place).

This also means that (unlike the old days) you can no longer power off (or "standby" as you call it) your phone and have it wake up if you have a meeting reminder.
    Just my $.02
    If you want to be left alone don't power off. Do this: 1. push button on top 2. Press any key on left 3. Pull down top center of screen. And you will not be bothered.
    03-20-14 02:18 PM
    The keys wersdfzxc wakes up the phone because they are associated with dial with the screen locked. When you press cww (911) from the locked screen it will ask you if this is a emergency call and if you want to make the call.
    03-20-14 02:51 PM
    Well "cww" - makes sense I suppose... for 9-1-1.
    But not sure why they would need to include they other 8 numbers - probably easiest to include all dial numbers instead of just the ones needed for 911?
    03-20-14 03:12 PM
    Yeah, until it will not take your password and wipes your device. Been there done that.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't seem possible since after multiple failed attempts you have to type 'blackberry' as a safeguard, and do it multiple times. I've had to wipe enough BlackBerrys returned by people leaving a company to know.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 06:01 AM
    That doesn't seem possible since after multiple failed attempts you have to type 'blackberry' as a safeguard, and do it multiple times. I've had to wipe enough BlackBerrys returned by people leaving a company to know.

Posted via CB10
    What safeguard? So what if the Damn thing won't take your password you definitely know. And after 12 times of trying it wipes the device. Password work and all of a sudden it doesn't and wipes the device. Now you have to spend the next three hours Fing around with the device waiting on the wipe and reload the OS and all my information. That's some safeguard.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 08:04 AM
    TBH The keys that are designated to "wake" the screen up are number keys and this is because phones are not just made for the US (SHOCK HORROR) and the Emergency Services may be a different phone number in the country that you are in, also there are multiple Emergency Service numbers here in the UK. I didn't think this was rocket science to figure out.

Another point relating to potentially unwarranted keystrokes while the phone is locked; if you didn't know the BlackBerry 10 OS operates much like the BBOS in that when a password is input incorrectly more than 6 times you need to type in "BlackBerry" to continue. This is specifically to counteract the potential issue of the password being input by accidentally pressed keys and wiping the device. I would argue it'll be pretty impressive for the phone to wipe itself by being placed in a full pocket.

Also the boot up time has improved from an old BlackBerry OS, if you simply never did a battery pull you probably do not know this. The old BBOS took about 5 minutes to reboot their devices, using the "Power Off" option in the phone simply put it on a deep standby which is no longer the case in BB10. Its all about doing the research about the device you use, that way you'll never be surprised by unexpected behavior of your device and the actual normal functionality of the device will not come as a surprise to you.
    03-24-14 10:03 AM

wersdfzxc or 0

For you lock issue (not sure if mentioned, didn't read entire thread):

Hold top power key down and you'll get 3 options: Cancel, Lock, Restart

Let go of top power button

Just tap Lock

Q10 - are these things normal?-img_20140324_194244.png

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10 on VZW from Philly
    03-24-14 06:45 PM
    My God what do you have to do that you cant wait a few minutes for your precious Playbook to come to life?

Smoke a joint have a cup of coffee or just chill and enjoy the cool colors BB gives us to enjoy!

Thats whats wrong people waht everything NOW!

Take chill pill
    03-24-14 08:03 PM