The Q10 is a fantastic device, but I think that it should come with a battery door made of material similar to that of the Z10. The glass weave, while it may be stronger, thinner, lighter, and cooler looking than plastic or rubber, does not feel good in the hand and is too slippery for comfort.

I was fortunate to play with the Q10 during the most recent NYC CrackBerry meetup party. While I was using it my concerns were confirmed as it was too hard to hold steady in my hands when typing or especially when gesturing. The back also collects grease which exacerbates the problem.

One of the key selling points of the Black Z10 or the "Oreo Z10" (my current configuration) is when you hand it to people they all comment on how solid it feels in the hand and how high quality it is even though it's rubber and plastic. These comments are especially echoed by people with the S3 or IPhone 5 who don't use cases. I think that we should try and convince BlackBerry that even if the phone ships with the glass weave by default, they should immediately sell a rubber door option. I recall seeing some prototype images with a rubber back, and hope that it becomes an accessory option shortly. Solve this issue and the Q10 will be a runaway hit!

Thoughts? I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that a slippery back will be the wrong first impression as BlackBerry tries to win people over.
    Last edited by drkpitt; 04-18-13 at 06:52 PM.
    vpblaze and sibeans like this.
    04-18-13 04:11 PM
    I agree,

I think...

I had a black z10 and then swapped for a white one, the one thing that I noticed is that I miss the rubber feel to the black device.

Posted via CB10
    drkpitt likes this.
    04-18-13 04:23 PM
    I agree. The Z10 is amazing to hold. Why can't the Q10 have the same experience. Chances arw the glass weave will be too glossy and smooth for a good comfortable hold.
    Only time will tell.
    04-18-13 04:33 PM
    The Q10 is a fantastic device, but I think that it should come with a battery door made of material similar to that of the Z10. The glass weave, while it may be stronger, thinner, lighter, and cooler looking than plastic or rubber, does not feel good in the hand and is too slippery for comfort.

I was fortunate to play with the Q10 during the most recent NYC CrackBerry meetup party. While I was using it my concerns were confirmed as it was too hard to hold steady in my hands when typing or especially when gesturing. The back also collects grease which exacerbates the problem.

One of the key selling points of the Black Z10 or the "Oreo Z10" (my current configuration) is when you hand it to people they all comment on how solid it feels in the hand and how high quality it is even though it's rubber and plastic. These comments are especially echoed by people with the S4 or IPhone 5 who don't use cases. I think that we should try and convince BlackBerry that even if the phone ships with the glass weave by default, they should immediately sell a rubber door option. I recall seeing some prototype images with a rubber back, and hope that it becomes an accessory option shortly. Solve this issue and the Q10 will be a runaway hit!

Thoughts? I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that a slippery back will be the wrong first impression as BlackBerry tries to win people over.

I say ship both ... gladly pay the extra $10.00
    drkpitt likes this.
    04-18-13 04:47 PM
    I remember the same issue with I believe it was the Torch 9800? Up here in Canada they shipped with the non-rubber back and I ordered a Verizon version off eBay, since they got the rubber one, because the rubber does wonders in the car. Just sticks to leather.
    04-18-13 05:23 PM
    Well, the 9900 has the same issue but I always have a case on mine which has the rubber on the sides so it does not slide and a hard shell for the middle of the case on the back. I agree though if I was brave enough to walk around without a case I'd want some grip to it.
    04-18-13 06:03 PM
    I remember watching hands on video on this device and the guy said that the back of the q10 is a glass weave with soft touch coating. I have a gaming mouse and keyboard with soft touch coating and its basically a thin rubber coated layer on top of the actual body of the keyboard or mouse. I may assume that since the guy said that the back of the q10 has a soft touch coating, then probably they layered the glass weave with some kind of transparent soft rubber like coating, so it wont' feel slippery at all
    04-18-13 06:26 PM
    It's possible that they might add that by the time it ships to reduce the problem. That said, I think that the phone would still fail the "peek" test. Basically, set the phone on a table and with only one finger touching the phone try to peek at the hub (swipe up and to the right.) The black Z10 won't budge and you'll see the hub. The white Z10 with white plastic back will slip around and be dragged by your finger. The Q10 would slip just about the same as the white plastic back. This isn't desirable, especially when you're demoing your terrific phone to others at the office or restaurants and showing how easy swiping with a single finger is
    04-18-13 07:02 PM
    I wonder if it will ship with a some sort of case/sleeve like previous Blackberries?
    04-18-13 09:06 PM
    I wonder if it will ship with a some sort of case/sleeve like previous Blackberries?
    Sadly I think those days are over for all standard BlackBerry devices.......

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 10:05 PM
    Unless I'm completely mistaken, I think the Z10 has a metal frame around the phone, not plastic...
    04-19-13 01:18 PM
    Hopefully even if Q10 launched with those glossy back, we got our buddies Phantom skinz/dbrand/whatever leather skins ready. Missed those bold 9000 back.

Posted via my Awesome Zed10
    04-19-13 01:42 PM
    I do believe that the early leaked images posted here (CrackBerry) along with other websites showed a rubberized back. Which I first found strange because BlackBerry did promote the class weave.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 10:40 PM
    Z10 has a plastic frame not metal
    04-20-13 12:22 AM
    I thought the alternative rubberized battery door we saw in pictures looked really boring. If they shipped it with that, they would have to make the housing by the camera the same rubberized material, so it wouldn't be that carbon material on only the top.

I'm gonna get the Q10, but let's be honest... it's pretty much a phone that appeals to people who already like the classic form factor. Having a rubberized back will just make it look even more "blah" to people who are going to review it and see it, and at least the carbon material will make it look really cool. Having a rubberized back with the carbon material up top might look weird to me, but since it's everyone's own phone, I do think BlackBerry should at least sell the alternative battery door.
    drkpitt likes this.
    04-20-13 02:13 AM
    The Z10 has a plastic frame around the phone; the Q10 has a stainless metal band surrounding the phone in pvd black for the black and shiny stainless for white. But this band is separate from the actual battery door itself on the back of the phone, which is either glass-weave or some other material.
    04-20-13 02:51 AM
    Agreed. I know that the glass-weave sounds great from a marketing perspective, which is why they likely did it. I think that providing an inexpensive rubberized battery door as an option would be a good move though. Check out my latest post on this showing a rubberized back with a rubberized top; maybe it's being considered...?
    04-20-13 02:54 AM
    Check out this link for the latest rumor, and what the phone could look like. I have no idea if this is true, but it gives hope that a rubber back could become an option. Note that even the top section is rubberized, not just the door which is easier to swap out.

BlackBerry Q10 with back cover made of rubber is pictured
    04-20-13 02:57 AM
    How can you have interchangeable back covers when the top part of the back will be the weave glass? It's either one or the other
    04-20-13 03:53 AM
    Agreed it would look a bit odd if they don't match. Perhaps the top section can be swapped out just as easily. While it looks permanent it could just be a snap on cover that comes with the door.

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 09:50 AM
    I think they should concentrate on making sure the OS is as good as can be before fiddling with rubber doors or any other nonsense. If the OS ends up being tweaked and brought up to Blackberry standards more than it is with the Z10, people will buy it even if it comes without a battery door.
    kupfernigk and rizaru_rin like this.
    04-20-13 09:56 AM
    I think they should concentrate on making sure the OS is as good as can be before fiddling with rubber doors or any other nonsense. If the OS ends up being tweaked and brought up to Blackberry standards more than it is with the Z10, people will buy it even if it comes without a battery door.
    +1 on that

Posted via my Awesome Zed10
    04-20-13 11:15 AM
    Perhaps not ship with the rubber door but why not be able to buy it as an accessory. There will be skins but unfortunately BB has never made a case that will accommodate a skin. I don't want just a skin and I dislike screen protectors. My BB looks brand new by using the OEM pocket sleeve. BB can make a little bit of money here. Why not offer a leather back as an accessory as well.
    04-21-13 10:33 AM