Mine looks like Snazy's in sunlight. Readable but not good.

Sent from my Q10
    I would pretty much agree with that, would say readable but not great. But then very few are, although some excel at that.

Just tried a video to test out the auto adjustment, while its visible, the video loses the clarity of the changes.

Hope everyone gets what they want in the end.

Posted from my Q10
    06-16-13 03:09 PM
    Every display suffers in sunlight. I thought the iPhone 5 was bad at it but it easily outperforms the Q10 in that aspect.

Sent from my Q10
    paxtonbt likes this.
    06-16-13 03:10 PM
    To the people who think they got a bright display. Go outside in direct sunlight and you'll see the difference. The display is fine indoors and on cloudy days but when it faces direct sunlight outside it becomes a pain. Try reading something on the beach with sunglasses on.

Sent from my Q10
    Don't think any phone I've had looked fantastic outside under direct sunlight. But I don't have too much problem reading my Q10's screen when outside on sunny days, and I live in the sunny okanagan.

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    Snazy likes this.
    06-16-13 03:14 PM
    I am happy with my Q10 screen brightness. It is OK, not perfect, but the screen looks very good. Overall it is a beautiful phone.
    Snazy and paxtonbt like this.
    06-16-13 03:16 PM
    It is a beautiful phone, just wish mine was brighter. I'll try to get a video uploaded that shoots at the same exposure and compares the 9930 and Q10 in different environments.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    Dave Liao and Snazy like this.
    06-16-13 03:26 PM
    It's not a deal breaker for. That's for sure. Still a good phone.

Sent from my Q10
    06-16-13 03:29 PM
    It is a beautiful phone, just wish mine was brighter. I'll try to get a video uploaded that shoots at the same exposure and compares the 9930 and Q10 in different environments.

The 9900 and Q10 have totally different screen technology... why don't you understand this? The AMOLED screen on the Q10 uses black pixles and RGB in the display. The 9900 is LCD backlit, you can't ever compare them. You can but it will be irrelevant.

AMOLED screens are designed to use as little of white pixles as possible that's why EVERYTHING is black, menus etc.

It will Never look the same.

Why is this so hard for you to understand.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 03:29 PM
    Why does the movie "The Shining" come to mind?

Posted via CB10
    Dave Liao likes this.
    06-16-13 03:44 PM
    The 9900 and Q10 have totally different screen technology... why don't you understand this? The AMOLED screen on the Q10 uses black pixles and RGB in the display. The 9900 is LCD backlit, you can't ever compare them. You can but it will be irrelevant.

AMOLED screens are designed to use as little of white pixles as possible that's why EVERYTHING is black, menus etc.

It will Never look the same.

Why is this so hard for you to understand.

Posted via CB10

Wow, I understand the technology just fine.

The fact remains: the Q10 is the new Bold, it's modeled off of the Bold 9930 and is new and improved. I've used my 9930 for nearly 2 years and it's my reference point for this new phone. I don't own Apple products nor do I own another device that has an AMOLED screen, let alone the "bright" and "more powerful" Super AMOLED screen that the Q10 is considered to have.. so the 9930 is my comparison device.

It's also the last premium phone BlackBerry made before BB10. Even if the screen technology is different, it's good to know how it compares in the brightness department. I felt the 9930 max brightness was perfect and that its minimum was too bright, so I'd like to compare.

There's no need for condescension or your attitude. If you want to continue being angry with me for whatever odd reason, you are free to PM me and act like an adult.

Dave Liao likes this.
    06-16-13 03:47 PM
    It you are ignoring the fact that you can't compare it to a LCD screen.

You ignore facts.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 03:50 PM
    For what it's worth, I don't believe I've ever seen any electronic display device (except e ink) that performed acceptably in direct sunlight. Even the brightest screens including CRT displays (remember those?) suck under direct sunlight, Some suck less than others, but they all suck. So I just avoid the direct sun, find some shade or turn so my head provides the shade.

To each his own, the device likely won't get better, so I'd not commit to a contract or shell out ~500 bucks if I found I could not adjust to the dimmer display.

Posted via CB10
    SharonRD likes this.
    06-16-13 04:11 PM
    Hey guys, alright so I wanted to do a video similar to Snazy's shots. Here you go.

Dave Liao, Snazy and CarGuy1368 like this.
    06-16-13 04:48 PM
    Looks normal actually, ambled screens don't use white pixles they use chalk yellow or dull yellow colors for backgrounds and menus.

That looks perfectly fine.
    So you can't compare it to the LCD display of the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:51 PM
    Hey guys, alright so I wanted to do a video similar to Snazy's shots. Here you go.

Nicely done, totally see what you mean about the differences, it's pretty similar when putting the Z and Q together too.

From my perspective I would say mine is really no brighter, or if it is, only slightly brighter. However for me it doesn't pose a significant issue. But I appreciate for others it does.

Posted from my Q10
    paxtonbt and Dave Liao like this.
    06-16-13 05:28 PM
    So you can't compare it to the LCD display of the 9900.
    Just to be picky.... you CAN compare them, however you cannot compare the results of two different technologies and expect similar results as such.

Posted from my Q10
    Dave Liao likes this.
    06-16-13 05:31 PM
    Super AMOLED is an active-pixel display where LCDs are passive-pixel (lit from backlights.)

They are entirely different technologies. The Z-10 is an IPS display which is a subset of LCDs that typically is LESS bright due to the way it functions, but BlackBerry managed to knock it out of the park with the Zed -- it is easily the best device I've ever owned for full-sunlight performance on the screen, albeit at a horrifying cost in battery life.

The Q10 is not going to be able to get to the same place -- no way, no how -- just like my Samsung can't.
    06-16-13 09:09 PM
    why in the blue hell are we comparing photography terms to screen technology? so not only are we comparing the differences from SAMOLED Screens to LCD IPS screens, but we're doing so in a photography vs screen tech sense? completely nuts. zten is correct, even the BB Z10 abides by the GLO algorithm. Photography has nothing to do with how a screen outputs its image. It's all based on physics and mathematics.
    ray689 likes this.
    06-16-13 11:04 PM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    Dave Liao likes this.
    06-16-13 11:12 PM
    why in the blue hell are we comparing photography terms to screen technology? so not only are we comparing the differences from SAMOLED Screens to LCD IPS screens, but we're doing so in a photography vs screen tech sense? completely nuts. zten is correct, even the BB Z10 abides by the GLO algorithm. Photography has nothing to do with how a screen outputs its image. It's all based on physics and mathematics.
    Thank you good sir!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 11:15 PM
    Not sure what you're talking about, or if you even read through the posts, but photography has everything to do with how we have been providing comparison photographs. Not sure why this doesn't make sense to you Kris.

Some of the comparison photos were taken with auto-exposure. Auto-exposure will raise the exposure in dim light settings, essentially brightening a photo more than what's natural. When both screens are dim, auto-exposure makes an illusion by brightening the photo until the brightest light source (the least dim screen) appears white.

It was a point of discussion because zten believed this illusion.

06-16-13 11:16 PM
    Further discussion is pointless and counter intuitive.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    paxtonbt and drewread like this.
    06-16-13 11:19 PM
    Not sure what you're talking about, or if you even read through the posts, but photography has everything to do with how we have been providing comparison photographs. Not sure why this doesn't make sense to you Kris.

Some of the comparison photos were taken with auto-exposure. Auto-exposure will raise the exposure in dim light settings, essentially brightening a photo more than what's natural. When both screens are dim, auto-exposure makes an illusion by brightening the photo until the brightest light source (the least dim screen) appears white.

It was a point of discussion because zten believed this illusion.

Personally, I don't care if the comparison shots were taking with a BB pearl to a lumia 920 to the top of the line dslr, the brightness of the screen has nothing to do with how you take a photo of it or nor does it care that you are a professional photographer. I can tell you that with my Z10 and iPhone 5 and my Q10, and hell even my gf's iPhone 4, they all look different , they all have different brightness and dimming levels. My Q10 however looks no where like yours does, so therefore also leads me to believe you have a faulty screen/device as has been suggested multiple times over. Get the device replaced. The longer you sit and argue with people, the more time runs off that manufacturers warranty
    nocrystalstair likes this.
    06-16-13 11:24 PM
    I just going to throw this out there, the z10 screen in full Dubai sunlight isn't something to write home about either haha !(pretty hard for any phone) Ok, il leave now

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-16-13 11:24 PM
    Am I wrong, but is this the third thread on this very subject in the last two days one of which got shut down?

Can everyone agree to disagree as there seems no resolution will come and it's just back and forth arguing over who is right and who is wrong?

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    Elite1 likes this.
    06-16-13 11:27 PM
    Ok I think the OP has made his point. Time to close this down!
    Elite1, Snazy, drewread and 2 others like this.
    06-16-13 11:29 PM
225 ... 789