Again. You are failing to provide comparison photos. If my Q10 is faulty, so are the display units in stores and those of everyone complaining about screen brightness.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    Come on....... what difference does it make if you have comparison photos or not? If you don't think it's bright enough and you refuse to accept that it may be a faulty unit, just take it back and carry on with another phone. It doesn't matter how bright or how dim other people's phones may be.
    06-15-13 06:17 PM
    50th

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:22 PM
    Zten, you're ridiculous. You blew out the other phone's exposure, the compared it with a black screen. You comparisons and photos offer nothing valuable to the conversation.

It is irrefutable that the Q10 is very dim compared to other phones. Whether that bothers you or not, it doesn't matter to me. It's beside the point. You are debasing a scientific conversation with baseless drivel and misdirection.

Posted via CB10
    paxtonbt, richardat and jrdba like this.
    06-15-13 06:37 PM
    Thank you, deadcowboy.

Oofa - Would you walk into a store and return an item that works exactly as the item on display in the store and ask for a different one? Would you do so and pay a $35 restocking fee? Listen to yourself. It is a problem inherent to the Q10. The display units have the same brightness as my Q10. I've compared at two different Verizon Wireless stores, so, it's clear that I do not have a faulty unit. If I have a faulty unit, then every unit in the store is faulty and the odds of me getting a bright one are zilch. Judging by SCIENTIFIC studies performed on the device, the Q10 was designed this way.

You should be happy your device works perfectly for you.
    06-15-13 06:40 PM
    Zten, you're ridiculous. You blew out the other phone's exposure, the compared it with a black screen. You comparisons and photos offer nothing valuable to the conversation.

It is irrefutable that the Q10 is very dim compared to other phones. Whether that bothers you or not, it doesn't matter to me. It's beside the point. You are debasing a scientific conversation with baseless drivel and misdirection.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't "blow" out anything, I posted photos so the OP can see that not all q10 displays are as dim as his. He wasn't happy with that and wanted a comparison so I posted a q10 and s4 comparison which still looks better than the OP. Paying a 35 dollar restocking fee is reality just because you don't want to pay it doesn't mean the whole production is faulty.

A normal Q10

Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000384.png

The OP's Q10

Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-crackberry-image.jpg

I'm seriously done here, have fun

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 172600
    Harrison Hoolahan likes this.
    06-15-13 06:44 PM
    Also, when you all say your brightness is "fine" or "great," please be honest with an objective response as well. Tell us if it's actually "dim" or "bright" in comparison to other devices.

The fact remains: if the phone's maximum brightness is objectively dim in comparison to other devices, BlackBerry should implement a software method to boost it to the current maximum brightness standard (iPhone 5, etc). The slider will still be there to dim it down to those dark levels that you prefer. They should satisfy all of their customers, not the few who are only using their Q10 in movie theatres, scared of getting caught.

Personally, I want my Q10 to be as bright as my 9930. I spent nearly 2 years with it, why cripple the brightness from what it once was?
    I find the brightness perfectly acceptable, however I do agree that there is very little change from lowest to highest. I've never understood how there could be such little variance.

As a comparison, I have attached a couple of photos comparing the brightness of the Q10 and an iPhone 5. Yes, the iPhone is brighter at max and as you've suggested this may well be a software bug, but I've had no trouble using the Q10 in varying situations. I struggled to see the screen in sunlight, just as I struggle to see the screen on the iPhone.

Ideally, we need to be able to adjust the brightness to the full capabilities of the screen. There should be more brightness available. We also need the ability to toggle auto brightness on or off ourselves!
    Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000004-2-.jpg
    Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-img_00000003-2-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    paxtonbt likes this.
    06-15-13 06:47 PM
    You simply don't understand how photography works. In an automatic exposure, the brightest light source will determine the exposure. Because you're shooting a photo of your Q10 alone in the dark, the exposure is centered on the Q10's brightness. If you put a phone side-by-side in the dark, there would be a visible difference in the photo. I'll be uploading a video shortly to showcase the real differences.

And for the last time, I compared my Q10 to two others. STOP telling me that my device is faulty. If my device is faulty, there have to be thousands upon thousands of similar devices with the same faults. You are perpetuating a lie. I'm glad you're finally done.
    06-15-13 06:48 PM
    I didn't "blow" out anything, I posted photos so the OP can see that not all q10 displays are as dim as his. He wasn't happy with that and wanted a comparison so I posted a q10 and s4 comparison which still looks better than the OP. Paying a 35 dollar restocking fee is reality just because you don't want to pay it doesn't mean the whole production is faulty.

A normal Q10

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000384.png 
Views:	418 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	172597

The OP's Q10

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	172599

I'm seriously done here, have fun

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 172600
    In my experience taking photos of these screens in low light whilst comparing it to another, the photos always expose this way.

Taking a photo using my playbook of the Q10 next to the iphone produces a similar photo to the OP. However, take the iPhone away and in the same position and low light situation, the Q10 screen looks entirely different.

Much of this is down to the way the photo is being exposed.

Posted via CB10
    paxtonbt likes this.
    06-15-13 06:50 PM
    Thank you, MrRJ, for showing proof (proof meaning different devices on the brightness settings page, an honest representation). So far, you're the only to provide a decent comparison.

It's as I expected, very, very dim. I wholeheartedly agree that this needs to be fixed in an OS update.
    06-15-13 06:50 PM
    You simply don't understand how photography works. In an automatic exposure, the brightest light source will determine the exposure. Because you're shooting a photo of your Q10 alone in the dark, the exposure is centered on the Q10's brightness. If you put a phone side-by-side in the dark, there would be a visible difference in the photo. I'll be uploading a video shortly to showcase the real differences.

And for the last time, I compared my Q10 to two others. STOP telling me that my device is faulty. If my device is faulty, there have to be thousands upon thousands of similar devices with the same faults. You are perpetuating a lie. I'm glad you're finally done.
    Two phones side by side what's the problem!?

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:52 PM
    Thank you, MrRJ, for showing proof (proof meaning different devices on the brightness settings page, an honest representation). So far, you're the only to provide a decent comparison.

It's as I expected, very, very dim. I wholeheartedly agree that this needs to be fixed in an OS update.
    Did you ignore my photo, obviously because it refuted your claims.

Posted via CB10
    Harrison Hoolahan likes this.
    06-15-13 06:53 PM
    Brightness settings page? No? In the dark? No? For all we know the Samsung could be on the lowest brightness setting. It's not that hard to offer a similar comparison to the one I began this thread with, as MrRJ kindly did.
    06-15-13 06:56 PM
    Brightness settings page? No? In the dark? No? For all we know the Samsung could be on the lowest brightness setting. It's not that hard to offer a similar comparison to the one I began this thread with, as MrRJ kindly did.
    So go to the store and get it repaired or replaced. Otherwise you are pointlessly posting here.
    Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:58 PM

Hopefully it will be fixed. I don't have an issue with the brightness and it hasn't caused me any major problems. However, the lowest brightness setting seems to be a tad bright and the brightest bit dim. As said, we need more control.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 06:58 PM
    As the German magazine scientifically showed (with MrRJ's photographs), the Q10's maximum brightness outputs only 22% of the lumens that the maximum brightness on the iPhone 5 outputs at maximum brightness.

Name:	IMG_00000004(2).jpg 
Views:	514 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	172595

The Q10's minimum brightness is blindingly brighter than the minimum brightness on an iPhone 5.

Name:	IMG_00000003(2).jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	172596
    06-15-13 06:59 PM
    Haha, do you understand how exposure works? We can derive nothing from what you have posted, so far. And you certainly cannot compare two photos in the way you have.

Here, I just took another photo, this time with an old iPhone 4 (2 models back) and my Q10.
    Q10 Screen Brightness? Too Dim!!-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    paxtonbt and richardat like this.
    06-15-13 06:59 PM
    Thanks again, Paxton. Those two photos say everything that needs to be said.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:01 PM
    zten, if anyone is pointlessly posting here, it's you. You haven't shot any photos to offer a similar comparison and you are bashing all of us that are seeing brightness problems. I have stated, again, and again, and again, that the DISPLAY UNITS ARE NOT BRIGHTER than my Q10. You would be fool to try and "replace" a device working just as the display model is.
    06-15-13 07:01 PM
    Because camera equipment is a useful tool in measuring LUX and assessing whether or not something is functioning at desirable levels.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:02 PM
    So go to the store and get it repaired or replaced. Otherwise you are pointlessly posting here like a troll.

Posted via CB10
    It's not really trolling now, is it. A fair point has been raised and it's undeniable; the brightness on the Q10 isn't upto that of other devices. I've compared it to other devices, namely ip5 and gs4 and considering it uses a super amoled screen, it should be brighter than it is.

There's so many people recently claiming others are trolling and it's getting a bit silly.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:04 PM
    @paxtonbt

Why does your 3rd photo q10 screen look dimmer than the two photos before it.

Dude looks to me that your screen is dimming/ timing out like its supposed to. It looks like you snapped the pic just before the screen timed out.

The only way I can get my q10's screen to look that yellow is when it is dimming to the lock screen,
    Thesmartmale likes this.
    06-15-13 07:06 PM
    OMFG you guys are ********** because of the GLO algorithm you are not Controlling the screen brightness with that brightness bar. You are in fact deciding how much the Algorithm is going to be used. If you set it to minimum then it barely regulated your screens light output. If you set it to max then it limits it alot.

YOU ARE CONTROLLING THE SENSOR THAT DECIDES HOW MUCH TO LIMIT YOUR DISPLAY LUX OUTPUT BASED ON THE INPUT.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 07:06 PM
    I posted pictures of mine ages ago, but apparently I made you 'angry' so won't post them again.

Face facts, it's not what others think of their phones, it's what you think about yours that counts. If it's too dull for use for you, take it back. If you can live with it for now, wait for BlackBerry to allow the user control to be better.

Posted from my Q10
    06-15-13 07:07 PM
    From legitimate complaints to unending ********.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-15-13 07:09 PM
    OMFG you guys are ********** because of the GLO algorithm you are not Controlling the screen brightness with that brightness bar. You are in fact deciding how much the Algorithm is going to be used. If you set it to minimum then it barely regulated your screens light output. If you set it to max then it limits it alot.

YOU ARE CONTROLLING THE SENSOR THAT DECIDES HOW MUCH TO LIMIT YOUR DISPLAY LUX OUTPUT BASED ON THE INPUT.

Posted via CB10
    Then there is an issue with the sensor and or the algorithm. Presumably the iphone's sensor works in a similar fashion? Sitting the phones side by side and adjusting both sliders in th same environment produces massively different results.

The point here is that really the Q10 needs/should have a similar brightness output.

Posted via CB10
    paxtonbt likes this.
    06-15-13 07:10 PM
225 12345 ...