Can someone say when BlackBerry will come out with a much needed update to enhance the super dim display of the Q10 to match the older BlackBerry phones, as well as the brightness of a Z10?

For heaven's sake, I just bought a new Q10, and the freakin' screen is half as bright as a Z10!!!

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    Dave Liao likes this.
    12-18-13 09:49 PM
    I got the same phone as you and my screen is just as bright as my Z10, in fact I have to turn it down.

That said, in the 10.2.1 update there will be a new feature that will allow you to make your whites whiter and thus your screen brighter. You can see videos of it on you tube.

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    12-18-13 10:13 PM
    Try this for me. Put the Z10 and Q10 side by side. Is the Q10 the same brightness in the dark, as well. As in normal daylight? I need to know.

The company shouldn't have done this to the Q10! Pissed!

Posted CB 10
    12-18-13 10:23 PM
    Wow my Q10 is too bright that I have it at the lowest setting. And even then it can be too bright.

Posted via Q10 on T-Mobile U.S.A
    12-18-13 11:23 PM
    It is a more or less common problem with the AMOLED technology, although the Q10s screen seems really dim even compared to older AMOLED devices. There is nothing you can actually do about it for now, besides comparing your unit with others to check whether you got a defective display or not.
    There have been reports regarding a sideloaded Android app which lets you change the screen brightness. Using the said app you can make the screen much brighter compared to the native brightness setting. However the user said the app only works if it's actually running, even using it as an active frame doesn't work. Yet it shows there's still potential slumbering on the Q10.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    12-19-13 12:37 AM
    So it is a software issue then? Can we not get Crackberry Kevin to address this with BlackBerry? Why are some extremely bright and others horrible?

Not fair. This is a brand new phone. Can anything be changed in the engineering screens to rectify this issue of low brightness?

Posted CB 10
    12-19-13 01:32 AM
    So it is a software issue then? Can we not get Crackberry Kevin to address this with BlackBerry? Why are some extremely bright and others horrible?

Not fair. This is a brand new phone. Can anything be changed in the engineering screens to rectify this issue of low brightness?

Posted CB 10
    Defects can always happen with any manufacturer and any device model. I had two brand new Nokia N900, each got multiple hot pixels on the screen which were really annoying. There can be defective RAM, speakers, cracks and/or dents on the housing, etc. Know a guy who bought an iPhone 5 and had to replace it five times until he got a decent one - and we are talking about an Apple premium product here.

In any case, you can try to compare your Q10 to other Q10s in some stores and see if there is any difference. If there is not, your hardware is ok.
    The Q10 really *is* dimmer than both Z10 and Q5. There are multiple reviews out there comparing the screen brightness and the Q10 never got a decent ranking there, as do quite some other AMOLED phones. The Z30 has also been rated dimmer than it's smaller brother.

You can also check if some dirt or a poor screen protector affects your brightness sensor in a negative way, making the system think it is darker than it actually is, thus dimming the screen more.

12-19-13 01:52 AM
    I have a privacy screen on mine, which dims it a bit, and have the brightness turned almost all the way down to save battery, and can still see it in daylight. My opinion would lean towards a defective unit.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 08:41 AM
    I would just buy and return, or borrow a photo meter, set the brightness all the way up, open up a blank email and put the photo meter to the screen and get a reading.

Then borrow someone elses Q10, or do the same in a store and see if you have a defective unit.
    12-19-13 01:40 PM
    This was a Rogers phone which was bought second hand, yesterday. It was never activated or opened until yesterday. I am pretty sure I can claim it under warranty, being it has a year warranty anyways.

The individual said it was a promotion from Rogers, so he took it and put it away. I would hate to send it in though.

Posted CB 10
    12-19-13 01:43 PM
    This was a Rogers phone which was bought second hand, yesterday. It was never activated or opened until yesterday. I am pretty sure I can claim it under warranty, being it has a year warranty anyways.

The individual said it was a promotion from Rogers, so he took it and put it away. I would hate to send it in though.

Posted CB 10
    I was just offering a solution so you could find out if your display was defective or not. I doubt you can claim a warranty issue if the unit isn't actually defective.
    12-19-13 02:06 PM
    Agreed with the original poster on this.
    As I've posted elsewhere on the interwebs, the Q10 (at least, mine) is software gimped to be dim.
    I loaded Kindle for Android on my Q10, and there's a setting to set screen brightness while you're reading.
    If you set it to the max, the phone gets realllllly bright. If you leave the Kindle app, the screen slowly dims to the crappy system default.
    01-05-14 12:20 PM
    I used to be worried about this! I have mine set @half brightness and its plenty bright!

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 12:57 PM
    The brightness (or lack thereof) has only been a problem for me in direct sunlight. Hoping it'll be corrected in an update.

Posted via CB10
    Dave Liao likes this.
    01-05-14 07:54 PM
    I find it extremely perplexing to say the Q10 screen is as bright as the Z10s - it's not even comparable. With that said, despite the already dim screen on the Q10, I keep mine on the lowest setting.

Out of curiosity, I will download the Kindle app to see how bright the screen really gets.
    Dave Liao likes this.
    01-05-14 10:58 PM
    Agreed with the original poster on this.
    As I've posted elsewhere on the interwebs, the Q10 (at least, mine) is software gimped to be dim.
    I loaded Kindle for Android on my Q10, and there's a setting to set screen brightness while you're reading.
    If you set it to the max, the phone gets realllllly bright. If you leave the Kindle app, the screen slowly dims to the crappy system default.

Just tested the Kindle App and wow does that brightness make a difference!
    Dave Liao likes this.
    01-05-14 11:22 PM
    Yeah, I showed the app to my coworkers, and they were floored at how bright the Q10 could get.

I reallllllllllly wish I could force it to stay at that brightness for all apps. *sighs*
    01-05-14 11:25 PM
    yay I hope someone can build the apps for brightness setting for Q10

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 11:44 PM
    Aside from heavy battery consumption, I feel that there has to be a reason as to why BlackBerry chose to limit the brightness of the Q10. The Z10, with a sub par battery, goes way brighter!

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 12:47 AM
    Imagine the pixels of the AMOLED display like candles: They burn down over time, the stronger the flame (light) gets, the faster they're wearing out. So this might be one of the reasons they chose to limit the maximum brightness. However there are other devices with AMOLED screens out there, which go (way) brighter than the Q10. Even devices which are quite older than our BB10 phones. That is another reason why darker color schemes are favorised on AMOLED: A pure bright white wallpaper also causes faster burning than let's say something with darker colors.

IMO their weird auto-brightness algorithm is a large part of the problem here. There has been an article on CB about it, yet it didn't really explain how it really works. Basicly auto-brightness is always active on all BB10 phones, yet it is somehow influenced by the brightness slider.

01-06-14 02:08 AM
    I absolutely agree with you
    Of course Z10 has better brightness cause it gives you the option to set auto brightness off
    Q10 by default has the auto brightness on and you can't turn it off.
    I am the person that told about the android app on blackberry world called auto brightness and inside this app you can set auto brightness off and then the magic screen of Q10 gets amazing.
    Unfortunately this option works only inside the app, when you exit then the auto brightness gets on again
    Q10 at night has an awful screen compared to z10 but at day it's about the same comparing the amoled with LCD (but only at day)
    I am really worried that Q10 owners can't see this problem
    It is a problem and it's very easy in a new update blackberry give an option for the user to set auto brightness off like Z10 has

? From My Sexy Q10...?
    Uzi likes this.
    01-06-14 02:34 AM