04-14-13 06:02 PM
44 12
tools
    Q10 display is smaller than the Z10 one. Are you concerned about it? How do you think we will be able to see icons and stuff, and how will the device be "usable" in your opinion?
    04-04-13 02:18 AM
    I don't think there will be any problems. There are lots of videos out there which give a good preview of the UI. Basicly everything has the same size as on the Z10, there are just fewer items displayed. Which means you might have to scroll a bit more.
    The most major concern was the "Hub"-gesture, because in some early day videos even Blackberry reps needed multiple tries to get that righg. However that problem isn't visible in the latest videos featuring final hardware.

Other concerns, at least for me, include outdoor performance - which can disappointing on AMOLED screens, as well as the question about the pentile matrix. These things have yet to be answered.
    04-04-13 02:44 AM
    Im just concerned about hdmi screen mirroring, how will this work having totally different aspect ratios?
    04-04-13 04:37 AM
    http://t.crackberry.com/dev-alpha-c-...y-q10-disguise

I asked the same question there, check it out
    04-04-13 06:08 AM
    Other concerns, at least for me, include outdoor performance - which can disappointing on AMOLED screens, as well as the question about the pentile matrix. These things have yet to be answered.
    What do you mean? And what's the pentile matrix?
    04-04-13 12:53 PM
    What do you mean? And what's the pentile matrix?
    By outdoor performance I am talking about readability in sunlight conditions. Quite some previous AMOLED devices don't actually perform very well there, so it is hard to read the screen outsides on a sunny day. Nokia used a special filter they called "Clear Black" to prevent this from happening.

Pentile-matrix is a different pixel layout. Instead of going with a common RGB-matfix, pentile displays are using layouts. Like RGBG, basicly in this example a standard sized red subpixel, followed by a small green one, continued by a large blue subpixel and finished by another small green one. This results in a different screen output, often comming with a more visible rasterization. So even if the screen features a whopping 328ppi, the actual real world numbers could be lower thanks to the pentile-matrix.
    Quick search returned an article showing the issues:
    http://www.androidauthority.com/gala...entile-121182/
    04-04-13 02:44 PM
    I've seen a Q10 and the screen was OK to me. The real problem is that all the UI elements are HUGE for finger friendliness, but that really uses up screen real estate fast.
    04-04-13 03:58 PM
    I am worried that Android side loaded apps might work badly due to screen real-estate. Fingers crossed not.
    Jonneh likes this.
    04-04-13 04:23 PM
    I think the Q10 will be just fine. There is no way BlackBerry would screw up their first full qwerty keyboard device on their new platform.

If they were gonna mess something up, it would have been the Z10. They executed that phone very nicely, so I am expecting even better for the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-13 01:45 AM
    My only concern is viewing in sunlight. AMOLED screens typically suck for viewing in sunlight, but the Q10 has a super AMOLED display, I just wonder how "super" it is? Anybody out there use a Q10 or a Dev C in sunlight?
    04-06-13 04:38 AM
    This is a few years old, but it should give you a little perspective on what you can expect.
    AMOLED vs Super AMOLED vs LCD In Direct Sunlight
    04-06-13 06:23 AM
    My only concern is viewing in sunlight. AMOLED screens typically suck for viewing in sunlight, but the Q10 has a super AMOLED display, I just wonder how "super" it is? Anybody out there use a Q10 or a Dev C in sunlight?
    It's fine under direct sunlight. The Dev Alpha C is a Q10 with a 1800 mAh battery. You shouldn't worry about using the device outside.

Posted via CB10
    berryaddictnoza likes this.
    04-06-13 10:46 AM
    I thought the Q10 was using an OLED display with darker themes, I'd imagine that would be better for outdoor viewing.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:48 AM
    I hope it handles good against scratches and drops. My Storm back then fell once and screen was cracked. So Gorilla Glass would be a nice plus for my personal taste.
    04-08-13 12:23 PM
    I hope it handles good against scratches and drops. My Storm back then fell once and screen was cracked. So Gorilla Glass would be a nice plus for my personal taste.
    Don't overrate Gorilla Glass.
    04-08-13 12:32 PM
    Gorilla glass protects against scratches not drops, and screen got scratched on my galaxy note even with the scratch resistant gorilla glass

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 01:32 PM
    Well once I disable the slide up to unlock I'm good. I see I would prefer the typing security code for access. Now that it will run flash, html5 and such I can watch videos from worldstar, youtube, vimeo etc. I'm good. Not like I need it to watch bluray. I have a laptop or what ever for that.
    04-08-13 01:46 PM
    Off topic but still very related to concerns...is the Q10 going to the 4G ready?

The Z10 came in 4 different versions. main difference being 3G or 4G and the chipsets.
    04-08-13 01:53 PM
    Did you use a screen protector? I dropped my Galaxy S2 more than the Storm, not 1 scratch or cracked screen, same for my Note 2. Actually my Storm was the 1st and only phone it happened with, drop height was not even that high, about 30 cm. I dont drop phones a lot but drops can happen. It didnt happen on my "replacement" Storm cause i used an Otterbox on the replacement. Both of the Samsung devices have a flimsy protection compared to the Otterbox but still no scratches or cracks. I know that its not only bout the Gorilla glass but everything helps.
    04-08-13 04:39 PM
    The Z10 screen is smaller than the PlayBook's. I won't mind and half the time carry both lately.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 04:57 PM
    I know that its not only bout the Gorilla glass but everything helps.
    Sure, everything helps. However in my experience you'll still need a screen protector even on GG equipped devices anyways. That fact somehow negates the whole purpose of having GG in the very first place. I know many tech blogs and "experts" are cheering about Gorilla Glass and want every device to use it. But there are enough independent tests out there which actually show how easily even Gorilla Glass can be scratched. My work phone, which is a Nokia X7, is just over a year and also features GG. I treat it as carefully as my Bold 9900 and you can already see micro scratches over it. A screen protector, like my "common glass" 9900 uses, could've prevented this.
    04-08-13 05:01 PM
    This a video that I recorded at the Crackberry meetup event last week in NYC.

04-08-13 06:41 PM
    I've seen a Q10 and the screen was OK to me. The real problem is that all the UI elements are HUGE for finger friendliness, but that really uses up screen real estate fast.
    The screen is larger than the Bold 9900. And that phone was touch screen as well.
    04-08-13 07:02 PM
    It's possible to happen. Some android apps are built for bigger screen. I think some of it will go stretched and warped.

Posted via BlackBerry z10 (CB)
    04-08-13 07:04 PM
    Off topic but still very related to concerns...is the Q10 going to the 4G ready?

The Z10 came in 4 different versions. main difference being 3G or 4G and the chipsets.
    Yes the Q10 will be 4G LTE ready. There will be models that support LTE and models which do not, very similar to how the Z10 variants turned out

Posted via CB10
    04-09-13 07:14 AM
44 12