Hi all!

Just wanted some advice. My Q10 was soaked in salt water (it didn't drop into the sea - if it makes any difference). After I dried it, it turns on, i.e. lights up, boots etc. I get my emails, BBM, Whatsapp messages etc.... but the touch screen does not respond to touch.

The service centre I took it to says that it is not worth repairing as they are concerned that water is still inside the motherboard and it may cause any replaced LCD touch screen to "short" out again.

I have a dry box for cameras and thought I would stick it in there for a week or two before replacing the LCD screen. Does anyone else have any ideas on my options? replace the LCD? Or bin the phone? Love the Q10 and I realise that the 'salt' will cause more and more damage in the long run but I can't afford to replace it at this time

Thanks
    03-20-14 12:44 AM
    as far as i concern, salt water ( sea or not from sea) it's basically made all the metal rotten...
    replace the LCD will just a matter of time before the machine broke down
    i'll say just back it up the phone and use it till it's dying
    hairdrying it maybe will help... while it's off and use the cold dry
    03-20-14 01:50 AM
    There is no salvaging that phone. Salt water is highly destructive to anything electronic. Just a matter of time before the corrosion sets in and breaks everything down.
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    03-20-14 08:19 AM
    I have never had an issue with dropping a whole phone into salt water, but I did drop my Curve into a five gallon bucket of yellow striping paint. (I disassembled the Curve and cleaned it. It worked fine for a year after that, until...) I have had issues with the phone end of the USB charging cord flopping into the footwell of my plow truck, in the winter. The foot well tends to become a shallow lake of brine. It is near impossible to clean the cord's connector out. Drying it only goes so far. It leaves salt crystals. These crystals can be transfered to the phone's USB port and cause corosion. Wether the phone gets wet or not, salt is a dessicant. It absorbs water. I have killed the USB jacks on a Treo, Curve, and Bold. I have replaced the lacks, on all, but the brine got deeper into the bold and hosed up the USB interface chip and some other discrete component. Hence my Q10.

In short, the phone is probably in the midst of its death throws. Back-up and replace before all is lost.
    03-25-14 11:33 AM
    as far as i concern, salt water ( sea or not from sea) it's basically made all the metal rotten...
    replace the LCD will just a matter of time before the machine broke down
    i'll say just back it up the phone and use it till it's dying
    hairdrying it maybe will help... while it's off and use the cold dry
    Yes, back up your phone as soon as possible!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    03-25-14 12:54 PM
    Hi Eugene,

I am writing you from a Q10 that was hit by a lot of salt water....
    This is what I did, although there is the possibility that It will no work: remove the battery, and wash the phone under purified water...put it inside a bucket with water for 5 seconds...this may allow some of the salt to be removed.

Then try to make dry the phone with a towel or tissue, and put it inside a dish with a lot of rice. The rice will make absorve the water. Pls remove the cover of the battery in this process. Leave the phone like this for at least 2 days...at the third or 4th day...put again battery, cover and try to recharge your phone. It may take a long time to recharge. It may work...it worked for me...

Anyway, I had some problem software, so I wiped it, but I got BlackBerry error 0015. So I had to reload the software and this made my phone back again like at the first day of use... I hope it works, all the best!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 06:08 PM