First and foremost I want to make it clear that I am a long time iPhone 3G user with little exposure to other smart phones. With that said I will do my best to share my thoughts with the Q10 and justify my reasonings throughout. If you have any comments/questions, etc fire away; I know deciding on a new phone can be tough so I am happy to do what I can to help. For ease of reading I'll organize my thoughts into "pros" and "cons" along with some "misc" comments.

Pros
    Fit and Finish: The Q10 is an absolutely gorgeous device. Everything from the keyboard to the weight of the phone screams quality. Absolutely no complaints here.

Battery: My Q10 was powered on in store with a little less than 60% left on the battery (11:30 am). I, for sake of interest, left the default settings to see how long it would last. Given that it was my first while with the phone, my usage was high, but not excessive (no real video playing beyond 5 mins). By 4:00 the 20% warning came on, with the 10% showing up by 5:00. This didn't impress me, but given that it was the first go on a stagnant battery, I wasn't worried either. Within a couple of hours, I tipped my hat to BB; this was a very different experience-my iPhone would die shortly after that 10% warning. With the Q10 I ended up intentionally killing the battery with some video viewing. In the end it lasted till 8:15: not too shabby.
    Following some advice on the forum (thanks again for that!), I allowed the battery to fully charge. In the morning I adjusted the settings slightly, decreasing the brightness from 50 to 40% and turning off LTE, along with wifi. Again, my usage was high: lots of texting and browsing, etc. At the time of writing this (7:45 PM) the battery has ~30% left (been using it since 7:00am).

Screen Real Estate: This may seem like a strange positive, but it is in reference to knowing what you have available: when writing an email or posting on forums there is no 'readjustment' necessary to make room for the virtual keyboard. Compared to the iPhone 3G the screen size isn't too different.

Keyboard: I'm still learning but 100% faster than I was yesterday. Using it is strangely satisfying.

Multitasking: my goodness the ease of multitasking is phenomenal. While compiling an email I can flawlessly check my schedule and check my spelling and check a webpage: love it!

Speaker Volume: streamed some live radio to give the speakers a go and they were great-no complaints here.

LED light for alerts: Love this feature; great for battery life and compliments the hub concept really well.

Cons
    Limited email retrieval: this is by no means a huge deal, as opening emails via browser is mostly harmless; but, with that said, it was frustrating to be unable to search for older emails via the hub.

Alarm clock: this is a minor complaint the can be addressed with an app, but with how cool the clock is I'd love the ability to save multiple alarms.

Bedside mode: while it is convenient that bedside mode is automatically initiated when the Q10 is plugged in, it would be nice to be able to still turn it off if desired (maybe this is possible, but I couldn't figure it out).

Editing written text: there is a bit of a learning curve here; it does seem it would be manageable with a little more practice, but it hardly seems quick at this point.

"Quick" commands on homescreen: I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, but when I type "text ____" it sends the text to the desired person but the "search" remains and essentially requires me to close it which takes away from the efficiency.

BBM ease of use: again, this may be due to something I'm doing wrong, but I have been unable to successfully add my friend to BBM him; I tried inviting with email and pin (and he did the same) but nothing happened: it simply shows that I have sent invites.

Still no flash: when using my iPhone friends would note how I had no access to flash... and nothing has changed with the Q10. A minor annoyance.

Misc.
    -phone is made in Mexico
    -phone brightness has not been an issue at all; it has been comfortable on the eyes in all settings thus far with a low brightness setting. Hasn't been sunny enough to try in sunlight
    -I kind of feel a sense of camaraderie with other BlackBerry users: is this normal?
    -BB world has had the apps that I like for the most part. Does anyone have a recommendation for a note taking app? Is there an agreed upon 'best' map app?

Alright, at this point, so far so good. I am very happy with the Q10. Its ease of use is great for a long time iPhone user like myself. Thanks for reading. I apologize for my overall BlackBerry ignorance!

Kind regards

Posted via Q10
    05-28-13 10:45 PM
    No video? no picture?
    05-28-13 10:52 PM
    Great review! Glad you are liking it. One thing stood out in your review though. No Flash as in no Flash in web pages? How come? Care to elaborate? Thanks.
    05-28-13 10:54 PM
    Congrats on the new Q10! Thanks for your opinion. I do have to say though that an update is on its way to support multiple alarms. Also, Flash support in the browser is definitely there. But by default, it's disabled. So either you enable it in the settings or sometimes it will prompt you to enable (at the top of the screen) when it sees a flash capable page loaded.

Just think, with software updates, things should only get better. The Q10 is a phone with great potential and I'm really looking forward to getting mine on Verizon after handling several Q10s and my Dev Alpha C.

The Z10 has been great for me but my eyes have always been on the Q10.

Enjoy it!
    05-28-13 11:18 PM
    You can turn off bedside mode when charging by swiping up.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 11:32 PM
    Not sure what you mean about no flash? Flash I available in the browser, just have to make sure it's turned on.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 11:51 PM
    Hey great review!! I myself shifted from Z to Q and am absolutely loving the look and feel of the Q...

Q10SQN100-3/10.1.0.2342

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    05-29-13 12:06 AM
    will be looking forward to "take two"
    05-29-13 12:23 AM
    Good review I have a q10 and absolutely love it.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 12:43 AM
    You should play with the Remember app that's built in. I didn't think much of it at first, but I use it all the time now to remember websites or just write notes.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    05-29-13 12:43 AM
    Great to hear from an iOS person and with an honest review..nice.

I too missed the "notePad"..but found a nice app that does exactly that, so no worries.

I agree with you the "bedside" mode is a bit weird - all previous BB's I've owned allowed one to set an alarm - shut down the machine and then plug it in. I tried that the first time not even thinking that would be an issue...woke up 2 hours after the alarms was supposed to go off.! lol,, oh well, it did give me the desired 2 hours sleep I so desperately needed at the time.!

Overall now that I have had this unit in my hands for two weeks, I am liking it more and more....Keep those updates coming BlackBerry.!!

And tell all your iOS friends that this one is a keeper...!

stk
    05-29-13 12:56 AM
    hi I just got my q10 yesterday I have high hopes for the phone looks very elegant very good design sitting is easy but the problem I just want to ask suppose rim had a quality control department
    To check the device before the release or not if they have so its a big faliure my q10 have a problem which is the backlight of the keyboard is uneven the lower raw of letters is bright and intense the rest is dimmer very obvious in dark so its 2013 and a famous company like bb and still defect in kb. Its a shame I gave my device back to the agency they said they will check and maybe to change iam so angry cause an expensive device like this and still there is obvious defect by the way my last bb was 9900 both white and black and they are very good so if the company future depending on release of q10 and z10 should be with no defects
    05-29-13 04:53 AM
    Ive had my q10 for almost a week now and earlier today called up the shop to see if they would take it back - unfortunately teh answer was a big resounding NO !!!
    Yes the phone looks great,and browsing is quick and easy but a a business phone its very veryu poor and IMHO far inferior to the BB 9900 which I was using previously ( wish I could go back )
    The contacts dont appear correctly and amny callers do not show up on the screen when they call - jusy their number which is pretty useless.The battery life despite not running apps is awful,and worst of all,the device loses its signal on a regular basis - this is whilst using the phone in Dubai and so may be a local problem but never happened with my previous BB Bold - I could go on but after the initial excitement I really feel Ive made a big mistake in changing to the Q10 - great to look at but doesnt dothe basics
    05-29-13 06:46 AM
    The contacts dont appear correctly and amny callers do not show up on the screen when they call - jusy their number which is pretty useless.The battery life despite not running apps is awful,and worst of all,the device loses its signal on a regular basis - this is whilst using the phone in Dubai and so may be a local problem but never happened with my previous BB Bold - I could go on but after the initial excitement I really feel Ive made a big mistake in changing to the Q10 - great to look at but doesnt dothe basics
    There might be a problem on your very own side. My contacts are showing with name, number and picture when they call me. My battery life can't get any better, this thing runs circles around my Bold 9900. Finally I don't always have to worry about charging the phone before leaving my home. I've seen 14 to 16 hours with the Q on my personal "standard usage", the 9900 handled 10-12 hours. If I happen to do some more active battery saving, numbers are even better.
    Last but not least signal reception: At least from what I've seen, the Q10 deals a bit better with this than the Bold too. For example on one of my often travelled train lines I had two or three disconnects with the Bold between two specific points. With the Q10, the call quality gets really bad to unusable, however the call doesn't get disconnected anymore.
    thedose likes this.
    05-29-13 08:13 AM
    Great review! Glad you are liking it. One thing stood out in your review though. No Flash as in no Flash in web pages? How come? Care to elaborate? Thanks.
    I made my assumption too early in regards to flash support it seems. When I tried to stream the hockey game from HNIC a prompt game up to update to latest flashplayer: when attempting to do so it simply didn't work. With the feedback (thanks guys!) I tried other sites and flash worked with no issues. Sometimes it's great to be wrong

While I still find the bedside mode a little weird, I noticed that there is a setting to still receive calls while in beside mode, so that helps!

It's good to hear that the alarm clock is on the table for future updates, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the responses everyone

Posted via Q10
    05-29-13 11:30 AM
    I too missed the "notePad"..but found a nice app that does exactly that, so no worries.

And tell all your iOS friends that this one is a keeper...!

stk
    I tried finding an app to match, which one did you end up going with?

I'm trying my iOS friends to convert--at this point my fiance will have none of it (denial must be the first step to change lol)

Posted via Q10
    05-29-13 11:36 AM
    Why not using the "Remember" application for taking notes? It basicly is the new notepad, just with much more options.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 11:41 AM
    In regards to your feelings about other BB users, yes - the bond is strong. It's like we're all in a war and need to stick together to survive. Makes people pretty helpful as well, especially as compared to some forums dedicated to "other" OS'es.
    05-29-13 11:53 AM
    Nice review. I actually read the whole thing. It will be interesting to see how you like it in one month after more use and possible updates? I've had my Z10 since Feb 5th and honestly, I love it more and more as time moves forward.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-13 11:54 AM
    Why not using the "Remember" application for taking notes? It basicly is the new notepad, just with much more options.

Posted via CB10
    Wow, thanks! Didn't realize it was set up for creating notes with folders. It's actually exactly what I need. This phone is getting better and better

Loving the BlackBerry community--you guys continue to impress

Cheers

Posted via Q10
    05-29-13 03:08 PM