I wish they would pull all the squishy keyboard ones off the market, like the ones they haven't sold, and only sell the clicky ones from now one.. Surely there's a way they can track the lot numbers and stuff.
    quorky likes this.
    07-10-14 03:38 PM
    I wish they would pull all the squishy keyboard ones off the market, like the ones they haven't sold, and only sell the clicky ones from now one.. Surely there's a way they can track the lot numbers and stuff.
    I think that's what they did, after they realized the problem they had to collect data via the warranty repairs... which are usually carried out by the service providers. so after a certain time period they would then look to see what factory (or more likely which factory line) was producing the faulty keyboards.

Only then can they start the process of A) stopping production of faulty keyboards and B) start swapping out faulty keyboards with good ones at all repair centers. The latter of which has to take some time I'd imagine.

Posted via CB10
    riss89 likes this.
    07-10-14 08:34 PM
    I recently replaced the keyboard on my Q10 with an OEM part from a supplier in the UK. Definitely much more clicky than the original. Also the space bar has a more solid feel (the original used to rock on the sides). And no more double typing problem

Posted via CB10
    Can you share the supplier info please

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 04:06 AM
    It really is a good keyboard. Seems sturdier than the original and more responsive.

Live it, love it, be it.....BB10
    Can you please share the link, I am interested in it. Does it come with the proper toolkit?

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-12-14 04:34 AM
    They've secretly sold 1 billion Q10's.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 01:53 AM
    I finally bit the bullet and replaced the keyboard, using the links here. The parts arrived much more quickly than was predicted, well packed and all looked to be OEM.

The video on YouTube was very helpful. However, I was unable to remove the two screws holding the top/camera cover. No matter what I did - either with the drivers provided or with my own. So I took the phone into a small phone/pad repair shop that also acts as a service centre for some providers. There I was told the Q10 has used differing sizes of Pentalobe screws - either by design or by fault of the manufacturer (the phone or screw manufacturer. Or both). In any event, they took out the screws for me and the rest was a piece of cake. Required about 30 minutes, excluding the purchase of a new driver.

See attached picture. Based on my experience I can recommend the eBay provider. Just remember the screws may be different.

As for the keyboard, very much more reminiscent of the old keyboards circa 9000 or 9900. Much more "clicky". Very nice after three or four days.
    Q10 replacement keyboard differences-img_20140913_171001.jpg
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    09-14-14 12:48 PM
    I picked up a keyboard from a Hong Kong supplier and all the keys are clicky except the I, O, P. Very annoying. Will be looking for another soon.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:03 PM
    Mine is a bit responsive no more issue so far however the backlight on the keyboard is quite dim.
    09-15-14 05:14 AM
    Well, my Q10 is past its year warranty now so rather than buy a new keyboard I think I'll buy the passport or the classic. Although I don't have any complaints other than the stutter in my keyboard.
    09-15-14 10:58 AM
    I got mine fixed this weekend. So far it is ok. I wanted to fix myself but I don't have all the screwdriver required. Paid $55.

Although I may get the passport I prefer to fix it before I sell it. Or sell the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:53 PM
    Hmm, I would be extremely hesitant to touch my Q10, (no doubt I'd wreck it) does anyone know of a place in the Vancouver BC area that could replace a keyboard?
    09-15-14 02:58 PM
    The keyboard of this expensive phone is a shame. I have Nokia E71 from year 2006, bought it 2nd hand from ebay, then sold it to a friend and the keyboard still works great. My Q10 is 2 years old and "J" stopped working, "S" types double SS. This is a good reason to replace it back for Android, where I can use Skype, Viber and type in Cyrillic.

Can someone send me a link for spare keyboard which works better than original keyboard?
    Last edited by tanov; 03-22-15 at 08:04 AM.
    03-19-15 04:19 PM
    The keyboard of this expensive phone is a shame. I have Nokia E71 from year 2006, bought it 2nd hand from ebay, then sold it to a friend and the keyboard still works great. My Q10 is 2 years old and "J" stopped working, "S" types double SS. This is a good reason to replace it back for Android, where I can use Skype, Viber and type in Cyrillic.

Can someone send me a link for spare keyboard which works better than original keyboard?
    I chose black kb coz it has far superior contrast in day light and at night looks pretty cool imo

https://i.imgsafe.org/f3d1eb4.jpg
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-28-16 01:41 PM
    I just installed an OEM keypad for a friend, well is 'clicky' , issue is that , as I understand the keys are knockoff: the lettering is bolder and NOT engraved on the keys, I think they re-use old keypad PCB assemblies and just clip-on new (3rd party) keys.

update:

So fat I got two keyboards, one from Amazon UK , the second from Chinese ebay seller (99.7% score) both of them were crap, second hand membranes as the conductive adhesive on flex cable was absent + stuck keys on both of them. At least I got my money back.
    I fixed the original by relocating the membrane's contact disc on the defective keys. Looks like nowadays there its no easy to find NEW (even non original) keyboard for the Q10, most of them around are 2nd hand.
    Last edited by uxWare; 07-11-18 at 03:49 AM.
    06-30-18 09:02 AM
39 12