Why does everyone assume that BB10 compatible means all is fine?!? There are more than one BB10 handset - THE Q10 IS A BB10 HANDSET TOO!!!

Getting fed up of getting "not available for your device" messages. I think Q10 users were duped into thinking their handset would get the same treatment as Z10 handsets, instead less than a 1/3 of apps work on both.

We should have been the top as BB is #1 for full qwerty keyboard handsets, instead we are the red-headed step child, even behind legacy devices!

I love my Q10 but I hate the b***s***! I just wish developers would DEVELOP for all BB10 handsets.

Knowledge is power... Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    04-16-14 05:33 AM
    Is your Q10 running 10.2.1? I ask because I noticed that several apps (and app updates) were unavailable for my Q10 until I updated to 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 06:05 AM
    Is your Q10 running 10.2.1? I ask because I noticed that several apps (and app updates) were unavailable for my Q10 until I updated to 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, running 10.2.1

It's been my only gripe since I upgraded from 9800 - I waited 6 mths for the Q10 to be available from my provider and it's just been such a disappointment that so many apps were developed for the Z10 but the Q10 was forgotten

04-16-14 06:23 AM
    It's definitely a kick in the teeth to have to settle for a subset of an already sparse app selection. Do you think there's much BlackBerry could do to remedy this?
    04-16-14 06:59 AM
    Why does everyone assume that BB10 compatible means all is fine?!? There are more than one BB10 handset - THE Q10 IS A BB10 HANDSET TOO!!!

Getting fed up of getting "not available for your device" messages. I think Q10 users were duped into thinking their handset would get the same treatment as Z10 handsets, instead less than a 1/3 of apps work on both.

We should have been the top as BB is #1 for full qwerty keyboard handsets, instead we are the red-headed step child, even behind legacy devices!

I love my Q10 but I hate the b***s***! I just wish developers would DEVELOP for all BB10 handsets.

Yikes... thanks for the heads up, I was under the impressions that this was only a problem for side loaded Android apps.
    Rescue_525 likes this.
    04-16-14 07:42 AM
    It's the developers fault actually

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 07:43 AM
    How is it the developers problem when BBRY said they were stick to 1 aspect ratio and then all of a sudden they are not? I also have to wonder what happened to the wonderful dev tools that were supposed to make this not an issue?
    deezy87, rai187, blee4 and 1 others like this.
    04-16-14 07:47 AM
    It's both, Blackberry should have made it clear that there would be more than one aspect ratio and dev's now know there are more than one so why are so few apps being revamped to now run on all BB10 handsets?

My only saving grace is Snap, I literally had to sideload Kindle because I read so much and it's handy instead of carrying a bunch of hard covers (cause they get released first). At launch they screamed to the masses that BB10 apps worked best because they were developed for BB10 handsets - what they meant was they were developed for their all touch screen, all singing all dancing Z10 and 8 months later, oh and here's another one with a keyboard.

Shame on BB and shame on devs in equal measure.

04-16-14 06:29 PM
    Does Google Maps work on the Q10 and can anyone link me to instructions on how to setup side loading on the Q10?

Posted via my Q10
    04-16-14 07:12 PM
    Does Google Maps work on the Q10 and can anyone link me to instructions on how to setup side loading on the Q10?

Posted via my Q10
    Google maps works fine use SNAP to download.

Just google snap for blackberry

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-16-14 07:30 PM
    I can't get snap to work on my Q10

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:04 PM
    Says unable to open file.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 10:05 PM
    Says unable to open file.

Posted via CB10
    Open an Android app that u already have or from BlackBerry World. That will activate Android runtime. Then install from Snap.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    04-16-14 11:07 PM
    I can't get snap to work on my Q10

Posted via CB10
    Weird. I loaded Snap on my new Q10 tonight and got it working with no issues at all. Some of the apps are a little wonky because of the resolution (Tumblr, Instagram) but otherwise work.

What version are you running on your Q10? What happens when you try to load Snap or open it?

Q10: SQN 100-5 v. 10.2.1.2102
    04-16-14 11:11 PM
    I guess the other easy way is to use apktrain.com or the amazon method

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-16-14 11:15 PM
    How is it the developers problem when BBRY said they were stick to 1 aspect ratio and then all of a sudden they are not? I also have to wonder what happened to the wonderful dev tools that were supposed to make this not an issue?
    You need to do your research!

1. The Z10 debuted first due to consumer and business demand for touch screen devices. You can inherently add and modify keyboards, data entry and controls that suite ALL languages and app concepts a a full touch device vs one with physical qwerty and touch!! Get modern, this has been proven and the Q10/5 doesn't not support as many languages.

2. It was the end users of traditional physical qwerty devices that led to this issue. Traditional qwerty/bold users prided themselves on features productivity and "not toys" didn't download nor purchased advanced games. This is what we call self perpetuating situation or self full filing prophecy!

3. BlackBerry NEVER stated sticking to one aspect ratio - not in BBOS 4/5/6/7/10 NEVER!! 1:1/6:9(?) was what was originally planned in BB10 when launched; meaning two aspect ratio not 1 like you falsely stated.

4. BlackBerry already created api and tools in SDK for Bb10.1 to allow non aspect ratio fixated apps so that they adjust as per handset if coded so by the developer. There are two specific api's.

Again you need to do your research. You have two choices: upgrade to a full touch or wait for a hybrid BB10 or write to developers of the apps you want/need/require, launch positive hopeful threads to achieve views by like minded Q10 users and developers to achieve a solution.

Man and I thought all qwerty BlackBerry users where all about productivity yet lately they mostly wine and ***** and not consider alternatives towards a solution; hmph.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    04-17-14 12:31 AM
    You need to do your research!

1. The Z10 debuted first due to consumer and business demand for touch screen devices. You can inherently add and modify keyboards, data entry and controls that suite ALL languages and app concepts a a full touch device vs one with physical qwerty and touch!! Get modern, this has been proven and the Q10/5 doesn't not support as many languages.

2. It was the end users of traditional physical qwerty devices that led to this issue. Traditional qwerty/bold users prided themselves on features productivity and "not toys" didn't download nor purchased advanced games. This is what we call self perpetuating situation or self full filing prophecy!

3. BlackBerry NEVER stated sticking to one aspect ratio - not in BBOS 4/5/6/7/10 NEVER!! 1:1/6:9(?) was what was originally planned in BB10 when launched; meaning two aspect ratio not 1 like you falsely stated.

4. BlackBerry already created api and tools in SDK for Bb10.1 to allow non aspect ratio fixated apps so that they adjust as per handset if coded so by the developer. There are two specific api's.

Again you need to do your research. You have two choices: upgrade to a full touch or wait for a hybrid BB10 or write to developers of the apps you want/need/require, launch positive hopeful threads to achieve views by like minded Q10 users and developers to achieve a solution.

Man and I thought all qwerty BlackBerry users where all about productivity yet lately they mostly wine and ***** and not consider alternatives towards a solution; hmph.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    There we have it then. Developers could care less if they have the tools and knew about it.
    04-17-14 05:20 AM
    If you were a developer and have followed the tool process, Blackberry never said there would be only 1 aspect ratio. They said from the Beta versions of the development documentation that there would be two resolutions. There is a third (z10) and they said how to program your apps to deal with that.

Sounds like you just want to complain about Blackberry and don't want to understand the problems of programmers. You just can't take all the screen resources for a 16:9 and make it 1:1 without some changes. Have you watched a 720p movie on a Q10? Does it fit so the entire screen is filled with video? No. You just can't do it.

I have written apps that work on both the Z10 and Q10 without any changes required. Blackberry has made that easy.

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...ion/index.html

It was a choice of the developer not to support the 1:1. If there is an app that you want, contact the developer and ask for it for the Q10.
    Supa_Fly1, Dave Bourque and cbvinh like this.
    04-17-14 05:30 AM
    If you were a developer and have followed the tool process, Blackberry never said there would be only 1 aspect ratio. They said from the Beta versions of the development documentation that there would be two resolutions. There is a third (z10) and they said how to program your apps to deal with that.

Sounds like you just want to complain about Blackberry and don't want to understand the problems of programmers. You just can't take all the screen resources for a 16:9 and make it 1:1 without some changes. Have you watched a 720p movie on a Q10? Does it fit so the entire screen is filled with video? No. You just can't do it.

I have written apps that work on both the Z10 and Q10 without any changes required. Blackberry has made that easy.

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...ion/index.html

It was a choice of the developer not to support the 1:1. If there is an app that you want, contact the developer and ask for it for the Q10.
    No I'm not a dev and don't have a Q. I just remember reading before BB10 ever came out how developers hated BBOS with all the different screen sizes and aspect ratios and how this wasn't going to be an issue with BB10 and it now it seems it is an issue or developers could care less.
    04-17-14 06:20 AM
    Okay. Haven't noticed or even thought about this. I have a Q10 and have no idea what apps are on the other BB10 handsets and I am happy with the apps I have and can download on my phone. I have come across two or three apps that are not available on the Q10, but it has been no train smash. I either didn't need them or found an alternative. So far so good for me. Guess if I came across an app I really wanted it would make a difference.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-14 06:47 AM
    No I'm not a dev and don't have a Q. I just remember reading before BB10 ever came out how developers hated BBOS with all the different screen sizes and aspect ratios and how this wasn't going to be an issue with BB10 and it now it seems it is an issue or developers could care less.
    Since you clearly don't understand the issue.. It is a decision by the developer which devices that they want to develop or publish on. Some apps just won't fit because the developer has decided that.

Pacemaker would never run on a Q10.
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=CA&lang=en

But I doubt that most people who want to use a keyboard will be using Pacemaker.

Blackberry has two screen ratios and has provided the tools so apps can be developed for each platform and the same app can run on both. Some can't because of a developers decision. This is not Blackberry's fault.
    04-17-14 07:00 AM
    Since you clearly don't understand the issue.. It is a decision by the developer which devices that they want to develop or publish on. Some apps just won't fit because the developer has decided that.

Pacemaker would never run on a Q10.
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=CA&lang=en

But I doubt that most people who want to use a keyboard will be using Pacemaker.

Blackberry has two screen ratios and has provided the tools so apps can be developed for each platform and the same app can run on both. Some can't because of a developers decision. This is not Blackberry's fault.
    If it is so easy why don't they just do it? There are some that aren't formatted for the Z30 either.
    04-17-14 07:05 AM
    I'm not a developer and don't pretend to know what they're thinking. My guess is that the problem of missing Q10 apps is simply a variation on the overall theme of low interest due to small user base. It takes a certain amount of extra work to code an app for both screen resolutions. If a developer is only seeing a few downloads a week anyway, there's not much motivation to do that extra work to gain a few more. Until the BB10 user base starts to show some steady healthy growth, this isn't going to change.

The people at BlackBerry could, however, monitor things and try to make a difference. If there's an app that's getting a certain number of downloads on the Z phones, but isn't available for the Q phones, they could contact the developer and offer to help adapt it for the Q. If an app isn't moving on the Z phones in the first place, there's not much point.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-14 07:06 AM
    Okay - it's a bar file right? I try and it says unable to open file. This is seriously frustrating me.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:11 AM
    I just downloaded 10.2 for ATT. I think I am downloading correctly, then it says - unable to open file.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:14 AM
42 12