If it is so easy why don't they just do it? There are some that aren't formatted for the Z30 either.
    You clearly don't understand the situation. Give an example of an app that isn't formatted for the Z30. Let's ask the developer. Blackberry provided the tools and documentation. I pointed it out to you, but given your quick response, you didn't take the time to read it or try to understand that Blackberry did their job.
    04-17-14 07:14 AM
    I'm not a developer and don't pretend to know what they're thinking. My guess is that the problem of missing Q10 apps is simply a variation on the overall theme of low interest due to small user base. It takes a certain amount of extra work to code an app for both screen resolutions. If a developer is only seeing a few downloads a week anyway, there's not much motivation to do that extra work to gain a few more. Until the BB10 user base starts to show some steady healthy growth, this isn't going to change.

The people at BlackBerry could, however, monitor things and try to make a difference. If there's an app that's getting a certain number of downloads on the Z phones, but isn't available for the Q phones, they could contact the developer and offer to help adapt it for the Q. If an app isn't moving on the Z phones in the first place, there's not much point.
    Or if you want an app, contact the developer yourself. Take some responsibility. It isn't Blackberry's job to contact every developer. Are we getting that lazy that we can't send an email to a developer asking him to change his app to work for our phone? I am not sure it is that because an awful lot of posters on this site will take the time to post something bashing Blackberry for not doing something. I think people just like to complain and don't want to actually try to solve the problem. If enough people contacted the developer, they would change it.
    04-17-14 07:19 AM
    Or if you want an app, contact the developer yourself. Take some responsibility. It isn't Blackberry's job to contact every developer. Are we getting that lazy that we can't send an email to a developer asking him to change his app to work for our phone? I am not sure it is that because an awful lot of posters on this site will take the time to post something bashing Blackberry for not doing something. I think people just like to complain and don't want to actually try to solve the problem. If enough people contacted the developer, they would change it.
    Hey I really like my Z30 and before buying I knew the app situation and I knew BBRY moved away from consumers for now. So I didn't expect much in that front. However when there is an app available to one phone it should work on all.

I don't know, does this exist on android and iOS? Where apps work on some phones and not others because of screen size? Do they need to beg developers to add their screen to their app? How about tablets and different screen sizes? My issue is that even CB back in the day was crowing about how the aspect ratio and screen size issues with BBOS would not be an issue with BB10. I'm not bashing them, hell I just got a Z30 a month ago but I don't blindly accept everything they do as wonderful
    04-17-14 07:39 AM
    I don't disagree with the idea of contacting developers, but I don't think BlackBerry should be passive about this either. It's not "bashing BlackBerry" to suggest that BlackBerry might be able to help. In terms of responsibility, BlackBerry has a responsibility to its users to try to make their app experience as positive as possible. I grant you there's a limit to how much they can reasonably be expected to do. That's why I suggested they target those apps that are fairly popular on the Z phones but missing on the Q phones. That narrows it down. They could contact the developer to see if they need help adapting the app. That's something the typical end user can't do.
    kbz1960 and Er1nyes like this.
    04-17-14 07:44 AM
    My initial disappointment was regarding Kindle, I contacted the team responsible for developing the Kindle app and was told in no uncertain words my business wasn't worth their time.

I am not a business user, I'm not an app happy tween, I loathe all touch screen handsets, I'm just a silly Blackberry user who misunderstood their marketing that said there were already +10,000 apps and that Kindle was one of them.

I waited an extra 6 months for the Q10, and wrongly assumed that "BB10 compatible" meant just that. I was wrong. Yes Snap is a godsend and works for a lot of apps but not the numbers I was lead to believe.

Some BB10 handsets are more equal than others it seems.

I just wish that had been made clear from the begining.

Knowledge is power... Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 07:54 AM
    I don't know, does this exist on android and iOS? Where apps work on some phones and not others because of screen size? Do they need to beg developers to add their screen to their app? How about tablets and different screen sizes? My issue is that even CB back in the day was crowing about how the aspect ratio and screen size issues with BBOS would not be an issue with BB10. I'm not bashing them, hell I just got a Z30 a month ago but I don't blindly accept everything they do as wonderful
    There are certainly Android apps that don't run on all Android devices, but I don't know if there are any that fail due to screen size or aspect ratio. It wouldn't surprise me, though, since Google Play is pretty much a Wild West situation, with very little curating. I doubt you'd see anything like this in iOS though.

Kindle is a good example. It's available for the Z phones but not for the Q phones in BB World, even though it works just fine (according to what I've read here on CB) on the Q phones. And it's a high-profile, popular app. Certainly, end users should complain to Amazon, but BlackBerry should try to do something about it too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-17-14 07:55 AM
    There are certainly Android apps that don't run on all Android devices, but I don't know if there are any that fail due to screen size or aspect ratio. It wouldn't surprise me, though, since Google Play is pretty much a Wild West situation, with very little curating. I doubt you'd see anything like this in iOS though.

Kindle is a good example. It's available for the Z phones but not for the Q phones in BB World, even though it works just fine (according to what I've read here on CB) on the Q phones. And it's a high-profile, popular app. Certainly, end users should complain to Amazon, but BlackBerry should try to do something about it too.
    Kindle is an excellent example! It works brilliantly but I had to sideload Snap to get it and I know that it's something not everyone is comfortable with.

kbz1960 and ubizmo like this.
    04-17-14 07:58 AM
    I don't disagree with the idea of contacting developers, but I don't think BlackBerry should be passive about this either. It's not "bashing BlackBerry" to suggest that BlackBerry might be able to help. In terms of responsibility, BlackBerry has a responsibility to its users to try to make their app experience as positive as possible. I grant you there's a limit to how much they can reasonably be expected to do. That's why I suggested they target those apps that are fairly popular on the Z phones but missing on the Q phones. That narrows it down. They could contact the developer to see if they need help adapting the app. That's something the typical end user can't do.
    Blackberry has helped by developing the tools and documentation and examples to give the developers what they need. If the developer can't figure out with all the resources out there how to adapt the app to a Q10, then the developer doesn't want to or his app won't scale to 1:1. It is as simple as that. It is not hard for most apps to scale to Q10. Some apps can run on both without any changes. Others are impossible. ie try adapting a 16:9 movie to 1:1. Hint: It isn't possible without cutting out some of the sides or making it smaller so there are black boxes top and bottom.
    cbvinh likes this.
    04-17-14 09:49 AM
    My initial disappointment was regarding Kindle, I contacted the team responsible for developing the Kindle app and was told in no uncertain words my business wasn't worth their time.

I am not a business user, I'm not an app happy tween, I loathe all touch screen handsets, I'm just a silly Blackberry user who misunderstood their marketing that said there were already +10,000 apps and that Kindle was one of them.

I waited an extra 6 months for the Q10, and wrongly assumed that "BB10 compatible" meant just that. I was wrong. Yes Snap is a godsend and works for a lot of apps but not the numbers I was lead to believe.

Some BB10 handsets are more equal than others it seems.

I just wish that had been made clear from the begining.

Did you think that a 1:1 experience would be identical to 16:9?
    04-17-14 09:51 AM
    Since you clearly don't understand the issue.. It is a decision by the developer which devices that they want to develop or publish on. Some apps just won't fit because the developer has decided that.

Pacemaker would never run on a Q10.
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=CA&lang=en

But I doubt that most people who want to use a keyboard will be using Pacemaker.

Blackberry has two screen ratios and has provided the tools so apps can be developed for each platform and the same app can run on both. Some can't because of a developers decision. This is not Blackberry's fault.
    Pacemaker is an Adobe Air based app.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    04-17-14 04:05 PM
    Did you think that a 1:1 experience would be identical to 16:9?
    No as I said the marketing did not make any distinction between BB10 handsets so I wrongly assumed they would both get identical app available - just because my Q10 has 1:1 does NOT make it inferior to a Z10!

04-17-14 04:09 PM
    Since you clearly don't understand the issue.. It is a decision by the developer which devices that they want to develop or publish on. Some apps just won't fit because the developer has decided that.

Pacemaker would never run on a Q10.
    https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...ode=CA&lang=en

But I doubt that most people who want to use a keyboard will be using Pacemaker.

Blackberry has two screen ratios and has provided the tools so apps can be developed for each platform and the same app can run on both. Some can't because of a developers decision. This is not Blackberry's fault.
    Bluenoser63 you seem very hostile to Q10 users - like we somehow deserve the problems we are having, like somehow our decision to stick with a qwerty keyboard and 1:1 gives developers the right to ignore us.

And god forbid we complain that Blackberry hasn't done enough to placate us. My Q10 cost as much as a Z10 when it was released in fact it might have cost more with all the deals that were on offer for the brand new all touch screen Z10.

Yes we chose to keep our keyboards, and yes we lost out on a massive screen but I did not think that was a licence to ignore us and for us to shut up and stop whining because we aren't getting the same BB10 experience that Z10 users are getting.

Devs AND Blackberry are equally to blame. Devs for not taking the time to actually develop for both handsets and Blackberry for not pushing them to make sure all users get the same app experience.

04-17-14 04:23 PM
    Pacemaker is an Adobe Air based app.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    So? What does that have to do with screen resolutions and aspect ratios?
    04-17-14 05:39 PM
    Bluenoser63 you seem very hostile to Q10 users - like we somehow deserve the problems we are having, like somehow our decision to stick with a qwerty keyboard and 1:1 gives developers the right to ignore us.

And god forbid we complain that Blackberry hasn't done enough to placate us. My Q10 cost as much as a Z10 when it was released in fact it might have cost more with all the deals that were on offer for the brand new all touch screen Z10.

Yes we chose to keep our keyboards, and yes we lost out on a massive screen but I did not think that was a licence to ignore us and for us to shut up and stop whining because we aren't getting the same BB10 experience that Z10 users are getting.

Devs AND Blackberry are equally to blame. Devs for not taking the time to actually develop for both handsets and Blackberry for not pushing them to make sure all users get the same app experience.

I am not hostile to Q10 users. I have one (actually two. One with 1GB of RAM). My wife has one. We have them at work. Developers don't have the right to ignore you. When I develop my apps, I make sure that they work on full touch and keyboard BB10 devices. I have a Z10 (actually three. One is a red one) and a Z30 (best full touch out there in the market). But you have to realize that you CANNOT have the same experience with a Q10 (1:1) as you can with a full touch (16:9). Some apps won't and can't scale. When I develop for both aspect ratios, the experience for the same app is different for the Q10 as I don't have the physical real estate to give the same experience. I think that is what I am trying to get across which you take as being hostile.

Blackberry has no blame here. How do you expect them to force developers to make sure that they develop for both aspect ratios? "Hey devs, unless you make it for all aspect ratio, we won't all you to publish your app." That sure won't get it done.

The simple fact is that when you have less screen real estate, you have less screen real estate. I chose as a developer to develop for both platforms, even though I have to rethink some of my screens and provide less screen feedback.
    cbvinh likes this.
    04-17-14 05:50 PM
    No I'm not a dev and don't have a Q. I just remember reading before BB10 ever came out how developers hated BBOS with all the different screen sizes and aspect ratios and how this wasn't going to be an issue with BB10 and it now it seems it is an issue or developers could care less.
    So why do you comment as if you are a outraged dev? Oh I know why. Fake cries to BlackBerry is what everyone loves to do.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-17-14 06:51 PM
    I am not hostile to Q10 users. I have one (actually two. One with 1GB of RAM). My wife has one. We have them at work. Developers don't have the right to ignore you. When I develop my apps, I make sure that they work on full touch and keyboard BB10 devices. I have a Z10 (actually three. One is a red one) and a Z30 (best full touch out there in the market). But you have to realize that you CANNOT have the same experience with a Q10 (1:1) as you can with a full touch (16:9). Some apps won't and can't scale. When I develop for both aspect ratios, the experience for the same app is different for the Q10 as I don't have the physical real estate to give the same experience. I think that is what I am trying to get across which you take as being hostile.

Blackberry has no blame here. How do you expect them to force developers to make sure that they develop for both aspect ratios? "Hey devs, unless you make it for all aspect ratio, we won't all you to publish your app." That sure won't get it done.

The simple fact is that when you have less screen real estate, you have less screen real estate. I chose as a developer to develop for both platforms, even though I have to rethink some of my screens and provide less screen feedback.
    Thank you for clarifying and for being one of (what feels like) a small group of developers who understand that BB10 has more than one handset running it. While I understand what you mean about screen real estate, apps like the afore mentioned kindle don't need large areas and it was those sort of apps I was ranting about.

It just sometimes feels like the Q10 was an after thought and I still believe it should have been launched and available to buy along side the Z10 as it was that qwerty keyboard that made a Blackberry a Blackberry. And as negative as it sounds the Z10 would have been chasing the apple and android market from the onset anyway so why not capitalise on the one thing that everyone has always associated with Blackberry?

Think we have beaten the poor horse long enough, just glad I wasn't the only one feeling neglected by devs and blackberry.

04-17-14 08:00 PM
    So why do you comment as if you are a outraged dev? Oh I know why. Fake cries to BlackBerry is what everyone loves to do.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    So why do some of you read things not said? Did I ever say or imply I was dev? No. There is enough fake praise on here too. Just because someone is critical doesn't mean they hate. Excuse me now while I take my fake Z30 and make some more fake comments around the forum.
    blee4 and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    04-19-14 09:13 AM
42 12