How do I make my phone stop doing that?! It's driving me crazy. I get a lot of emails and when I reply to an email I want to delete it from the phone so I don't have to scroll for an hour to find an email I'm looking for. On Bold I was able to delete it on the phone but it wouldn't touch it on Gmail. Now I delete it on the phone and it disappears on gmail as well.

Is there some setting I missed to check off or something? Any ideas?
    07-12-13 01:39 PM
    Just file the emails you want to keep. Delete the rest. My problem is that the emails I delete on my z10 don't get deleted on gmail..

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 01:43 PM
    Wish I had that problem! It's the opposite...

I don't want Q10 touching my gmail at all though...
    07-12-13 01:46 PM
    There is no longer BIS on BB10, so your emails will delete in both places. This is how every platform is.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 01:47 PM
    How do I make my phone stop doing that?! It's driving me crazy. I get a lot of emails and when I reply to an email I want to delete it from the phone so I don't have to scroll for an hour to find an email I'm looking for. On Bold I was able to delete it on the phone but it wouldn't touch it on Gmail. Now I delete it on the phone and it disappears on gmail as well.

Is there some setting I missed to check off or something? Any ideas?
    That's the way IMAP works. (You're using IMAP now, not BIS.)

A simple search of CB forums will reveal tons of threads discussing this "issue".
    07-12-13 01:49 PM
    There is no longer BIS on BB10, so your emails will delete in both places. This is how every platform is.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, my Galaxy is that way, you're right.
    That's the way IMAP works. (You're using IMAP now, not BIS.)

A simple search of CB forums will reveal tons of threads discussing this "issue".
    So no option for POP anymore?
    I'm sure the issue has been raised before but I appreciate you chiming in with knowledge.
    07-12-13 01:52 PM
    Go to settings, accounts, and select the email account. Check "sync messages" on or off depending what you want. If you select on, then the server account will reflect the action you action you take on your phone, but you can still find them in the trash folder on your computer account. If you select off, then even if you delete on phone on the server it will be in your inbox as a prior read email

Posted via BlackBerry Q10. Best damn phone on the planet. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds...
    07-12-13 01:53 PM
    Will it still receive emails that way or if you turn sync off it just won't get them anymore?
    07-12-13 01:59 PM
    Will it still receive emails that way or if you turn sync off it just won't get them anymore?
    One of my accounts runs on MS Exchange and I have a lot of inbox sub folders which I didn't have access to back on BIS. It's great to get the sub folder mail on BB10. Will I lose it if I un-sync?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:06 PM
    Go to settings, accounts, and select the email account. Check "sync messages" on or off depending what you want. If you select on, then the server account will reflect the action you action you take on your phone, but you can still find them in the trash folder on your computer account. If you select off, then even if you delete on phone on the server it will be in your inbox as a prior read email

Posted via BlackBerry Q10. Best damn phone on the planet. This message will self destruct in 10 seconds...
    When you say check Sync off or on, do you mean select Manual. I only have that or time intervals starting at 5 minutes. VZW 10.1.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 02:07 PM
    So no option for POP anymore?
    My have-no-evidence-either-way educated guess is that it's most likely doing old-school POP, and not "POP-Leave-On-Server-Until...Even-If-I-Delete-It" for the sake of consistency.

Some of my accounts are POP (why the bleep does GoDaddy charge extra for IMAP? Sheesh! For that matter, why does any service provider even use POP at all anymore?) but I honestly haven't dug into BB10's POP vs. IMAP to confirm what kind of synchronization it is doing for POP accounts, since I've kinda make a "work around" for myself and thus didn't need to further diagnose the issue.

My instinct says that they went for consistency. If "delete on device only" is not something that can be done with IMAP absent BIS, I would not expect them to make it a feature available for POP absent BIS.

FYI, my "solution" to this for my POP account that gets lots of one-off's mail is to have it configured to not show in the universal inbox, so as to not clutter it up with things I don't want to delete / delete from the server, but also don't want cluttering up my "main" list of messages.

Turning on threads, rather than individual messages, actually helps significantly with this issue if there's been back-and-forth. Many of my "I'd delete it if delete-only-on-device was possible" messages then just get hidden inside the conversation.

Inbox --> Three Dots Icon --> Settings --> Display Style --> Conversation

Edit: I also just remembered: I leave my computer on at home with Thunderbird running. So for my pop accounts it is fetching email every 5 minutes, which means it's still there on my home computer even if I delete it from my BB and thus the server.

Edit #2: Yes, this means for POP my BB is out of sync from Thunderbird, and that stuff I may have really wanted to completely delete will still end up on my home computer and need to be cleaned up from there.
    07-12-13 03:40 PM

Won't turning off "sync messages" stop the emails from coming to the BB? Or is that only controlled by the "push" function which is separate?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-13 06:09 PM
    One thing you can do is set up another gmail account (e.g., [email protected]). Have your current gmail account forward a copy of all email the to the yourname-pda.gmail account. When you set up the [email protected] account, set its reply-to address to your original address. Set your q10 to pull email from the yourname-pda.gmail.com account. Using this method, you'll get your mail on your pda and desktop, but they will be "disconnected". I do this for my personal accounts, and it works fine.
    FF22 and Veronica Parker like this.
    07-12-13 08:00 PM
    Won't turning off "sync messages" stop the emails from coming to the BB? Or is that only controlled by the "push" function which is separate?

Posted via CB10
    That is precisely what happens to my MS Exchange mail.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 03:21 PM
    So we're saying BB's strongest point was their blackberry client and now they're just like any other phone.. I miss my bold 9900 already
    10-15-13 03:06 PM
    So we're saying BB's strongest point was their blackberry client and now they're just like any other phone.. I miss my bold 9900 already
    Yes, after everyone applauded BBY for so long for having the best email around, with numerous differentiating and superior features -- including push email and the ability to elect to leave your messages on the server -- BB10 dropped those and numerous other iconic features and capabilities, and I think observation is accurate, and that, in this case, BBY is "just like everyone else."

This has caused me a lot of frustration, lost emails, and extra time/costs to develop workarounds -- when what they had was already the best and didn't need to be worked around, for me.

What I don't understand is that if they thought they had an idea for new/different functionality that they thought some people would prefer (maybe many), why they didn't provide people with the option, thereby retaining the best of both worlds? Seems like such a logical win-win.
    10-16-13 10:53 PM
    Yes, after everyone applauded BBY for so long for having the best email around, with numerous differentiating and superior features -- including push email and the ability to elect to leave your messages on the server -- BB10 dropped those and numerous other iconic features and capabilities, and I think observation is accurate, and that, in this case, BBY is "just like everyone else."

This has caused me a lot of frustration, lost emails, and extra time/costs to develop workarounds -- when what they had was already the best and didn't need to be worked around, for me.

What I don't understand is that if they thought they had an idea for new/different functionality that they thought some people would prefer (maybe many), why they didn't provide people with the option, thereby retaining the best of both worlds? Seems like such a logical win-win.
    You again??! This is has been explained to you countless times before. Get over it and quit complaining. Commenting on it once or twice, yes; but the huge number of times you've gone on about this? Not acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    tempered, SharonRD and rthonpm like this.
    10-16-13 11:39 PM
    You again??! This is has been explained to you countless times before. Get over it and quit complaining. Commenting on it once or twice, yes; but the huge number of times you've gone on about this? Not acceptable.

Posted via CB10
    Excuse me?

I didn't start this thread or make the remark on which I commented.

Are you adding to the discussion here?
    10-16-13 11:47 PM
    If you want to get stuff out of your inbox, move it to the folder named 'All Mail' instead of deleting it. That is equivalent to 'archiving' it in the web interface. Or, I think there is a way to set your account so that IMAP deletes will archive the message instead of deleting it.
    10-16-13 11:55 PM
    If you want to get stuff out of your inbox, move it to the folder named 'All Mail' instead of deleting it. That is equivalent to 'archiving' it in the web interface. Or, I think there is a way to set your account so that IMAP deletes will archive the message instead of deleting it.
    If you're on Gmail, deleting an email doesn't actually delete it; instead, it Archives it. Don't ask me why.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 11:58 PM
    If you're on Gmail, deleting an email doesn't actually delete it; instead, it Archives it. Don't ask me why.

Posted via CB10
    So that Google can still "have" it stored for indexing and presenting ads to you based on the content there in.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-17-13 01:27 AM
    So that Google can still "have" it stored for indexing and presenting ads to you based on the content there in.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    I think there might be a setting in Gmail that changes this behaviour. Not sure.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-13 01:33 AM
    It's in the IMAP setup in your account settings. Works well.

I do have a slightly related question maybe somebody knows.

When I setup my q10 it only imported emails from the servers going back to October 15. Is there any way to change that? I used to use remote search like it was my job.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 11:45 AM

What I always heard about was truncated email sucks, can't send but tiny attachments, sucks etc. Guess it was the best or worst depending on the person. Was it the best at one time? Long time ago when it was about the only way to get mail on a mobile.
    11-13-13 11:55 AM
    In 10.2.1 it prompts you every time you delete an email (unless you set it a certain way and say to not prompt again)

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 12:38 PM
29 12