Keeping it real.... I listed my S4 on eBay.
    So I'm back in BB10 without a safety net.
    I kept my Note 3 for a week then sold it. Haven't regretted it once. This phone is a workhorse and typing on it is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-02-14 04:31 PM
    Today I used Skype for the first time on the Q10. Usually we use my wife's S3, but the battery was low so we went with the Q10. I was impressed! It was clear and smooth, with no discernible pauses for buffering. Not bad for an Android port.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    05-02-14 06:28 PM
    Been a while since I updated this thread.

I just closed my personal app gap. There's one app that I use to find and learn new tunes on the tin whistle: TunePal, a paid Android app. I was able to use the method described in another thread to patch the .apk file so that it would work, and at the moment I'm a very happy camper.

Incidentally, I emailed the developer of the app to get permission to do this before I tried it. In fact, I tried to interest him in porting it to BB World. He's too busy to do so now, but maybe in the future. It's not the kind of app that will get a lot of downloads--very much a niche app--but for those of us who play traditional Irish and Scottish music, it's indispensable. And it would be good to see any legit app come to BB World, even as an Android port.

The app isn't cheap, but neither is a pint of Guinness these days, and that's about what it costs.
    revtech likes this.
    05-08-14 12:45 PM
    Safety net gone. The S4 is sold and on its way to its new owner. Proceeds from the sale have gone into the "BlackBerry Classic fund."
    southlander likes this.
    05-12-14 09:56 AM
    Woohoo! :-D

Great that you found an app for your music. I'd love to see a well done app to read, play & write classical sheet music, on the order of Sibelius or Finale for desktops. I might have to get a tablet eventually for this to be practical.

Safety net gone. The S4 is sold and on its way to its new owner. Proceeds from the sale have gone into the "BlackBerry Classic fund."

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-12-14 10:09 AM
    Woohoo! :-D

Great that you found an app for your music. I'd love to see a well done app to read, play & write classical sheet music, on the order of Sibelius or Finale for desktops. I might have to get a tablet eventually for this to be practical.
    Yeah, getting TunePal was a real break. I wouldn't try to work with Sibelius or Finale on anything less than a tablet, and probably nothing less than a laptop would really do it. But TunePal is more specialized. It can listen and identity tunes, show the sheet music and, most importantly, play the tune back as a midi, in whatever tempo I choose. I've found this to be the best way to learn new Irish tunes, and there's simply no other app like it.

It's impossible to say what I'll want in the future, but for now I know pretty much what I want in a smartphone. Kindle and Audible are essential. A good podcast app is essential. A decent newsreader app is very important. Maps/navigation don't have to be best in class (That would be Google Maps), but they should be functional. For work purposes, I need to be able to attach documents to emails. The Q10 now can handle all this, no problem.

The camera, too, doesn't have to be best in class. It just has to be decent. I had no real problems with the Z10 camera. Maybe my expectations are too low, but the Q10 camera is fine for me. All things considered, a 4:3 screen ratio would be better than 1:1, but I'm not going to fall on my sword over that. I do think a somewhat bigger Q device is feasible, and desirable, without becoming unwieldy. I hope the forthcoming Classic is that device.
    05-12-14 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the TunePal description. I would ideally like to find a BlackBerry native app like this, but it's good to know what else is out there. I agree with you about the screen space needed for a full-fledged sheet music app. (Some of the things I try to read on the Q10 are so small that my eyes water from the effort sometimes.)

My VZW contract is still in its 1st year (of 2), so it will be a while before I can consider a new device unless I can buy it cheaply off-contract. But I will definitely be looking at the Classic as a contender for my next phone.
    Yeah, getting TunePal was a real break. I wouldn't try to work with Sibelius or Finale on anything less than a tablet, and probably nothing less than a laptop would really do it. But TunePal is more specialized. It can listen and identity tunes, show the sheet music and, most importantly, play the tune back as a midi, in whatever tempo I choose. I've found this to be the best way to learn new Irish tunes, and there's simply no other app like it.

It's impossible to say what I'll want in the future, but for now I know pretty much what I want in a smartphone. Kindle and Audible are essential. A good podcast app is essential. A decent newsreader app is very important. Maps/navigation don't have to be best in class (That would be Google Maps), but they should be functional. For work purposes, I need to be able to attach documents to emails. The Q10 now can handle all this, no problem.

The camera, too, doesn't have to be best in class. It just has to be decent. I had no real problems with the Z10 camera. Maybe my expectations are too low, but the Q10 camera is fine for me. All things considered, a 4:3 screen ratio would be better than 1:1, but I'm not going to fall on my sword over that. I do think a somewhat bigger Q device is feasible, and desirable, without becoming unwieldy. I hope the forthcoming Classic is that device.

05-13-14 08:24 AM
    To keep it interesting, I've just loaded the leaked 10.3. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.
    05-13-14 08:29 AM
    Good luck! This is my only mobile phone so I only update when I know I won't lose anything or render it unusable. I've been following the various 10.3 threads though - what a roller coaster ride! :-)

To keep it interesting, I've just loaded the leaked 10.3. I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do.

05-13-14 09:43 AM
    Yeah, it's my only phone too. And my original intention was to sit this one out and wait for a more mature release.

So much for good intentions. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to try it, so here I am joining the beta testing crowd. I can always roll back to 10.2.1, but I doubt I will.
    05-13-14 10:03 AM
    Ubizmo, is 10.3.* as good as they say? Do all apps and settings work? I've not tried it yet on my Z10. Thanks.
    05-20-14 07:54 PM
    Ubizmo, is 10.3.* as good as they say? Do all apps and settings work? I've not tried it yet on my Z10. Thanks.
    It's good enough for me but no, not everything works. Calendar sometimes doesn't display right. Notification volume is lower, and there are some other glitches. As I say, I can put up with these things, but not everyone can.

05-20-14 09:26 PM
    Just read through all the posts in this thread.

OP, you may want to download a recently launched app in BlackBerry World called bQuiet. It seems to do the the thing you're looking for from your old Android app Shush! - bQuiet is headless and works perfectly!

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-20-14 11:46 PM
    Just read through all the posts in this thread.

OP, you may want to download a recently launched app in BlackBerry World called bQuiet. It seems to do the the thing you're looking for from your old Android app Shush! - bQuiet is headless and works perfectly!

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    Yes, I'm using it, and it works well, though not perfectly. Sometimes it doesn't stay in memory, although I can't reproduce the problem at will. But mostly it works and I depend on it.

Edit: I should add that the app wasn't headless when I started this thread, but the developer was very responsive to my suggestions, making it now every bit as good as Shush! The intermittent problems I'm having may be due to my using the 10.3 leak, so I'm going to wait for a more mature version of 10.3 to see what happens then.

Last edited by ubizmo; 05-22-14 at 09:40 AM.
    05-21-14 06:00 AM
    Is this still going well?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    05-30-14 11:15 PM
    Is this still going well?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Absolutely. I'm running the 10.3 leak, so I have a few glitches to keep life interesting, but otherwise it's all good. The small screen is only occasionally an issue. I'll be looking at the Q30 when it lands, but until then I'm happy with the Q10. No double typing yet...

Ragbert likes this.
    05-31-14 06:20 AM
    I'm still here, and still liking the Q10. I have a touch of double typing, and ordered a replacement keyboard, which hasn't arrived yet. But the problem is still very infrequent, so I'm not bothered.

I find the Watcher and bQuiet apps indispensable for creating a smoother BlackBerry experience.

I miss the superior Android app performance of 10.3, which I used for a couple of months, but rolled back to 10.2.1.3253 for various reasons.

I do plan to get the Passport, but I'm going to hang on to the Q10 as a backup.

08-06-14 07:52 PM
    I'm still here, and still liking the Q10. I have a touch of double typing, and ordered a replacement keyboard, which hasn't arrived yet. But the problem is still very infrequent, so I'm not bothered.

I find the Watcher and bQuiet apps indispensable for creating a smoother BlackBerry experience.

I miss the superior Android app performance of 10.3, which I used for a couple of months, but rolled back to 10.2.1.3253 for various reasons.

I do plan to get the Passport, but I'm going to hang on to the Q10 as a backup.

Thanks for the update. I haven't even tried a 10.3 update yet, but when you were using it, you say your android app experience was much better? Just looking forward to an official 10.3 experience with the android apps I actually load.
    08-06-14 09:25 PM
    Thanks for the update. I haven't even tried a 10.3 update yet, but when you were using it, you say your android app experience was much better? Just looking forward to an official 10.3 experience with the android apps I actually load.
    Yes, I found Android apps loaded faster, ran smoother, and notifications worked better.
    dlrogers81 likes this.
    08-07-14 07:58 AM
    Yes, I found Android apps loaded faster, ran smoother, and notifications worked better.
    Cold you please explain a bit more regarding notifications?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:50 AM
    Cold you please explain a bit more regarding notifications?

Posted via CB10
    I have Words with Friends on my Q10. On 10.3 I'd get a Hub notification when it was my turn. On 10.2.1.3253 I don't.

08-07-14 11:58 AM
    I haven't updated this thread in a while, but I'm still using the Q10. Despite my interest in the Passport, I'm still pretty satisfied with the Q10. I do, however, feel the urge for a bigger screen. This is entirely a result of the fact that I'm 61 and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I've installed 10.3.0.1154 and it's very good. I have infrequent touches of double-typing, but not yet enough to motivate me to install the replacment keyboard I bought.

I have about 400 Word Sub entries, making text entry very easy and fast. That's not as many as I had before in BBOS, but it's close, and I'm still adding. I find using built-in word prediction on the Q10 much easier than it was on either my Z10 or S4. Reason: On both of those devices, using predicted words would break the flow of text entry, either thumb-typing or Swyping. But on the Q10 I find it entirely natural to see the predicted word and tap it. It's hard to explain why, but there's a definite difference.

I am really keen on the Passport, and I'll take a look at the Classic too, but if one or both of them has a massive price tag, I'll stay put. The Q10 is a very solid phone.
    09-12-14 02:24 PM
    So how about that 10.3? I have been kicking it around for a while. Is the UI any improvement?

Posted from Q10
    09-12-14 02:44 PM
    So how about that 10.3? I have been kicking it around for a while. Is the UI any improvement?

Posted from Q10
    10.3 is pretty flawless on my Q10. I can't think of anything that is irking me. For me, the Assistant has been enough to make me stay on the 1154 leak. Being able to speak most of what I want to do, instead of typing, even on the phenomenal Q10 keyboard, has saved me time and increased my multitasking.
    09-12-14 03:29 PM
    Sweet. I'm going to download it and flash it. Just need to watch some youtube videos

Posted from Q10
    09-12-14 03:51 PM
102 ... 2345