Well, my Q10 should be delivered tomorrow, and I have to admit I'm excited. I haven't had a BlackBerry since I switched from the Z10 to the S4 last August, and for some strange reason I want to be back in the fold again. There was a lot to like about BB10, and I miss it. I have no real complaints about Android, although I'm not so thrilled with Samsung.

I haven't had a physical keyboard device since December 2012, and I really wonder whether I'll still like it. And of course I wonder whether I'll quickly get frustrated with the smaller screen. I plan to switch to the Q10 for 24/7 use for several weeks; no switching back to the S4. It's going to be full immersion.

So tonight, Q10 Eve, I'm just getting ready. I don't know what OS the Q10 will have, but I have the 10.2.1.2947 autoloader downloaded and ready to go. I don't need to worry about backup because there will be nothing on the phone yet.

I have Snap downloaded.

I've deleted every trace I could find of past BlackBerry stuff from my computer, including device drivers. I want everything to be installed fresh when I connect the Q10.

I ordered a cheap TPU case, which will also arrive tomorrow. This is what I always do when I get a new phone. Then later I see if I want a better case.

From searching and reading here on CB, I have a pretty good idea of which Android apps I can expect to be able to use. Kindle and Audible should be no problem. Some people seem to be able to use Words With Friends on the Q10. QuizUp won't work, but I'm getting tired of it anyway. I don't play a lot of games, and when I do, I usually don't keep at them long.

I'm wondering if Android CleanMaster will work to clean up Android junk files periodically.

I'm hoping TripAdvisor will work.

I'm going to try the Shush! app, but I doubt it will work properly.

That'll be enough to keep me busy for a few hours tomorrow. Then I can get to the business of recreating my auto-text shorthand entries. That'll make a big difference to how I feel about that keyboard.

I'm also concerned about the stuttering keyboard problem, but I watched the YouTube video on how to replace the keyboard, and I think I can do it if needed.

Nothing else to do now but wait.
    04-15-14 07:24 PM
    Congrats and welcome back, just like Xmas eve eh!
    anon(8263181) likes this.
    04-15-14 07:27 PM
    Wow you ready! Sounds like more like Christmas eve you go hope you enjoy your Q10

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 07:30 PM
    Cool Beans 'ubizmo'.....I am doing the same thing this week and just to make sure I don't even try to go back to my S4 it'll be for sale and "adios" AT&T with their darn locked bootloader........
    04-15-14 07:41 PM
    Very nice. Welcome back to the wonderful world of Blackberry!!!
    04-15-14 07:44 PM
    It should be fun. One thing I'll miss from the S4 is the ability to add numbers to a reject list, so all future calls from the number are rejected. That seems like something BlackBerry should implement, but I know it's not there yet. But I can deal with it; I don't get that many spam calls.

Obviously, the Q10 is at a disadvantage for viewing video, but when I ask myself how much time I spend doing that, it doesn't add up to much. The occasional YouTube video and the occasional home move sort of thing; that's all. Not enough to be decisive.

I actually liked the Z10 camera. I find the S4 camera laggy and unpredictable. The auto-focus sometimes gets confused about where to focus. I didn't have these problems with the Z10, and shouldn't have them with the Q10 either.

When I look at the apps I have on my S4, it's amazing how many of them are needed just to manage Android itself. For example, the S4's built-in screen brightness auto-adjust isn't very good at all. There are decent apps for that (Lux and Velis) but they aren't as good as what I had on the Z10, and will have on the Q10. I have apps to do what the BB10 Device Monitor does. And there are various root tools that I won't be needing.

So we'll see. Maybe the transition will be easier than I think.
    04-15-14 08:05 PM
    Keep us posted. I may be following your lead & trading my iPhone 5 for a Q10.
    04-15-14 09:37 PM
    Ive been noticing this shift back to keyboards by my peers. Quite a few of us had our fun with touchscreens and then been waiting for a good qwerty to go back to.

I too came from an iphone 5 which I still have lying around somewhere.

For what I do, the Q10 is an amazing device.

Now give me that Q30!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-15-14 09:51 PM
    I feel you on the anticipation. The good news is everyone now has an official 10.2.1 OS available (AT&T released theirs today) so you won't have to worry about a leak. Once you have Snap, the app problem isn't really a problem. The only app I haven't had work personally was Hulu Plus. But everything else has been working great. Sometimes I forget I'm using an Android app(Netflix comes to mind). As far as the keyboard issues, I've had mine over a month and it still works fine. I guess maybe it affected an earlier batch? Who knows. I have yet to connect mine to a PC since my laptop dies prior to my upgrade but this shows me how good BB10 is. On a BBOS, I wouldn't have gotten much done setting up the phone. My Q10 without the use of a PC is setup much more than any other device I've had. When you receive your new Q10, expect to go thru your battery at least twice. Not because the battery sucks, because it doesn't but because you will be on your new device constantly! Enjoy!

Post by 9of13's Q
    04-16-14 10:37 AM
    I feel you on the anticipation. The good news is everyone now has an official 10.2.1 OS available (AT&T released theirs today) so you won't have to worry about a leak.
    Oh, they don't worry me. I've been installing leaks since at least the 9780, maybe earlier. But it's good that AT&T finally got moving.

Once you have Snap, the app problem isn't really a problem. The only app I haven't had work personally was Hulu Plus. But everything else has been working great. Sometimes I forget I'm using an Android app(Netflix comes to mind). As far as the keyboard issues, I've had mine over a month and it still works fine. I guess maybe it affected an earlier batch? Who knows. I have yet to connect mine to a PC since my laptop dies prior to my upgrade but this shows me how good BB10 is.
    Didn't you need a PC to get Snap?

On a BBOS, I wouldn't have gotten much done setting up the phone. My Q10 without the use of a PC is setup much more than any other device I've had. When you receive your new Q10, expect to go thru your battery at least twice. Not because the battery sucks, because it doesn't but because you will be on your new device constantly! Enjoy!

Post by 9of13's Q
    I appreciate your enthusiasm for BB10, which I share. I did have a Z10 until last August. I didn't like the typing experience on it that much. It was okay, but if I'm going to do text entry on a touchscreen, I want gesture-based typing, like Swype. But pretty much everything else about the OS was good, in my opinion, and has only gotten better. There's still work to be done, but I'm okay with that.
    04-16-14 11:35 AM
    Oh, they don't worry me. I've been installing leaks since at least the 9780, maybe earlier. But it's good that AT&T finally got moving.

Didn't you need a PC to get Snap?

I appreciate your enthusiasm for BB10, which I share. I did have a Z10 until last August. I didn't like the typing experience on it that much. It was okay, but if I'm going to do text entry on a touchscreen, I want gesture-based typing, like Swype. But pretty much everything else about the OS was good, in my opinion, and has only gotten better. There's still work to be done, but I'm okay with that.
    I didn't need a pc to install Snap. Since I at the moment am PC-less, I searched for a workaround and found Barinstall. For 3 bucks a month(which since you'll only need this once, it won't cost you every month), you're able to use the site's vpn to sideload apps via the Web right from your Q10. No other device needed. You won't even need to be on wifi.

Post by 9of13's Q
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-16-14 12:49 PM
    Sounds great! I just moved from my Note 3 that I was using for the past 6 months to a Q10. Prior that I was using a 9900.

I didn't mind the Android, but I found the overall experience a bit lacking. The feelings I had when I moved from my 8820 to my 9700 to my 9900 was essentially "this is a better experience, but if..."

When it was time to upgrade, I went with the Note 3 instead of a BB10 device because: A. My fiance wanted certain shopping apps that was only available on Android/iOS and thus, being the tech person of the house, needed the same device in order to be able to troubleshoot any problems down the line. B. I was enthralled with the large screen and S-Pen for note-taking purposes. C. I wasn't going to touch an Apple device with any size pole.

After six months of using the device, I found that while the experience wasn't horrible, it wasn't exactly efficient even compared to my previous BB's. I always found it a pain that I had to go through extra steps to completely close out an app. The note taking feature wasn't something that I used with any great frequency. In fact most "features" the phone had I either found too gimmicky or plain didn't work the way I had hoped. So, they spent their time on my phone disabled. I seriously hated the fact the phone app. I can't seem to pinpoint what it was, but it just didn't FEEL right, like the phone wasn't a core function while widgets almost felt necessity. Something like that.

I got my Q10 about a week ago. It's interesting the motto "keep moving" because that's really how I feel with this phone. As I type this post I can check my email, respond to texts or BBM's, even get distracted entirely with something completely different and yet find myself back here typing the rest of my post without really missing a beat.

Let me make myself clear, though: I don't do a lot of heavy media on this phone. I do have Snap installed as well as the Amazon App Store. I haven't really installed a lot of things from either. I've gotten a couple apps that I can't get like my banking app, EVE Online tools, and some shopping apps. I had downloaded Netflix and such, but seeing as I'm keeping my Note 3 as an Android micro-tablet, I don't see the purpose of keeping things like games and movie/TV apps on my Blackberry. I mostly use the Amazon storefront and Snap for a quick look at what I might want to install on my Note. Most things that I might need are available in the World or as a website.

So, all that being said, I'm super happy with my Q10. I love the keyboard. The calendar and making appointments is very streamlined. I don't feel like I'm confined to an app I have open. In other words, I flow from one app to another and back very freely and without having the app reload simply because I multitasked (that was another issue i had with Android). Keyboard shortcuts are something to die for. The hub is something just plain sick...

I could really keep going about how much more efficient I feel with this phone. What's great is that I don't have nearly the same "but if..." feeling that I've had before. It's so much better this time around.

Oh, I never talked about hardware specs! The browser is so much faster than on my Note. Switching back and forth between apps is almost lag free and feel at least as snappy as my Note. I feel like things get done faster on this thing than on my Note. That must mean that my Q10 has a quad-core CPU like my Note! Wait... it doesn't? It doesn't even have HALF the raw power?!? Wait an effing second!!!

Nifty Foods! C003262E5
    04-16-14 05:14 PM
    It should be fun. One thing I'll miss from the S4 is the ability to add numbers to a reject list, so all future calls from the number are rejected. That seems like something BlackBerry should implement, but I know it's not there yet. But I can deal with it; I don't get that many spam calls.

Obviously, the Q10 is at a disadvantage for viewing video, but when I ask myself how much time I spend doing that, it doesn't add up to much. The occasional YouTube video and the occasional home move sort of thing; that's all. Not enough to be decisive.

I actually liked the Z10 camera. I find the S4 camera laggy and unpredictable. The auto-focus sometimes gets confused about where to focus. I didn't have these problems with the Z10, and shouldn't have them with the Q10 either.

When I look at the apps I have on my S4, it's amazing how many of them are needed just to manage Android itself. For example, the S4's built-in screen brightness auto-adjust isn't very good at all. There are decent apps for that (Lux and Velis) but they aren't as good as what I had on the Z10, and will have on the Q10. I have apps to do what the BB10 Device Monitor does. And there are various root tools that I won't be needing.

So we'll see. Maybe the transition will be easier than I think.
    Oh man I see myself exactly on that post. You are so right, goddamn.
    You did the right choice mate, congrats!
    04-16-14 05:43 PM
    The only real problem now is... I misread the tracking note; the Q10 won't get here til Saturday! That's three more nights of Q10 Eve. D'oh.

Sent via Tapatalk
    04-16-14 05:48 PM
    Let me make myself clear, though: I don't do a lot of heavy media on this phone.
    I do a fair amount of media, but 90% of it is audio. Shouldn't be a problem.

Sent via Tapatalk
    04-16-14 05:51 PM
    Congratulations and welcome aboard. The Q is fantastic.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 06:09 PM
    It appears the Q10 was delivered today. I won't get home to play with it until 6:00 or so, but that's okay.

Just in time, too. My S4 has been starting to give me another odd problem. The alarm clock, which I have set for weekdays, occasionally just unsets itself. It doesn't go off in the morning and when I check it, all the days but one (not today) are unchecked. It happened this morning, but not for the first time. I woke up anyway, only 20 minutes late, but it's annoying. I've re-flashed the OS enough times for other problems; I'm tired of doing it.

I'm ready for some new things to beat my head against!
    04-17-14 12:15 PM
    Can't wait to hear about your experience. I traded in my 9930 for a droid maxx and have been using that for a little while now and really don't mind it at all; but there's something about that keyboard that just keeps calling to me. Heck I even put in a bid on ebay for a new 9930 just because (still don't know if I'm hoping to win it or not). I'd have to say my biggest fear is giving up screen size, and how everyone seems to love their z30, but that keyboard . . . I bet 6:00 can't come fast enough for you ;-)
    04-17-14 12:34 PM
    Can't wait to hear about your experience. I traded in my 9930 for a droid maxx and have been using that for a little while now and really don't mind it at all; but there's something about that keyboard that just keeps calling to me. Heck I even put in a bid on ebay for a new 9930 just because (still don't know if I'm hoping to win it or not). I'd have to say my biggest fear is giving up screen size, and how everyone seems to love their z30, but that keyboard . . . I bet 6:00 can't come fast enough for you ;-)
    Sometimes it really is all about the keyboard! And hey, there's no perfect device. We gotta give up something to get something sometimes. I was holding out for a Z device (I'm on sprint) but I'm overall happy I got the Q10. I too can't wait to read about the experience either! I was on pins and needles waiting for mine when I ordered it!

Post by 9of13's Q
    04-17-14 12:54 PM
    Not 6:00pm yet. Waiting for my wife to get her hair done, then home to rejoin the BlackBerry diaspora. Just killing time now...

Sent via Tapatalk
    jakie55 likes this.
    04-17-14 03:42 PM
    Android clean master working on my z10 in case and cheers!

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    04-17-14 03:48 PM
    I recently switched from the z30 to the Q10. The z30 is sitting on my desk collecting dust. There's just something about the physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 03:52 PM
    Android clean master working on my z10 in case and cheers!

Posted via CB10
    Oh, that's good news. That's a great app for clearing out Android cache files that accumulate. I may contact the developer and suggest he list it in BB World.

Sent via Tapatalk
    04-17-14 03:54 PM
    Get another one and put it on my tab....I'll be getting my q10 again on Saturday. Letting go of the z10. This will be my third try at it as I decide what phone best suits my needs.

Sent from my iPod touch using CB Forums
    04-17-14 04:09 PM
    Get another one and put it on my tab....I'll be getting my q10 again on Saturday. Letting go of the z10. This will be my third try at it as I decide what phone best suits my needs.

Sent from my iPod touch using CB Forums
    I'm probably running 15 android apps flawlessly on my Q10. Downloaded most with Snap. All work well including Trip Advisor. Good Luck!
    04-17-14 06:32 PM
102 123 ...