Hi guys,

I'm looking to get the q10, but historically, I've never been too impressed with blackberry's offline gps function.

Is the new one any different? Can you load maps and use it as a gps offline? I really don't want to give up the keyboard, but the gps is the most important thing for me.

Thanks in advance,
    05-22-13 06:57 AM
    Here's hoping someone can shed some light on this for you shortly...
    05-22-13 07:32 AM
    There are a couple Apps that can give you offline Maps. Some cache the maps while you have data and there is one that allows you to just buy the offline maps. Magellan Compass is the one that caches, Mireo the one that sells you TomTom offline maps.

BlackBerry World - Magellan Compass Maps

BlackBerry World - Mireo DON'T PANIC Try and Buy

I am assuming you are referring to traffic maps, not marine or topographic. There are a couple apps for those as well.
    05-22-13 07:39 AM
    Well, sorry, but a cellphones autonomous GPS will never be as good as if it were assisted or as an actual GPS device.

That being said.. you can totally do it.
    I don't know about the Q, but in the Z you can download magellan compass from BlackBerry World , cache whatever part of the world you want and use it for offline navigation.

Some things still require data, like getting directions, rerouting, etc. in most cases.

One tip is to aquire your location using data and then turn it off, because it is faster that way.
    05-22-13 07:44 AM
    Rob, I'm checking Mireo's site and I can't even seem to find map prices (although it lists them for Android and the Iphone). But is Mireo pretty much the only good map app? I had garmin on my 8900 and 9900 and it was terrible...but I think that it's normally the best gps company out there.

Well, sorry, but a cellphones autonomous GPS will never be as good as if it were assisted or as an actual GPS device.

That being said.. you can totally do it.
    I don't know about the Q, but in the Z you can download magellan compass from BlackBerry World , cache whatever part of the world you want and use it for offline navigation.

Some things still require data, like getting directions, rerouting, etc. in most cases.

One tip is to aquire your location using data and then turn it off, because it is faster that way.
    I'm not so sure that's true. I bought a nokia e71 for traveling...and I used it to navigate offline through all of western Europe . Sure, sometimes I'd have to wait 5 minutes to get a lock...but I didn't have to pay any data/cell phone fees while I was abroad so I really couldn't complain.

If a 4 year old phone can do that, I don't see why a new one couldn't. I was really hoping to stick with bb. Or is the q10 one of those phones that is called "a-gps" but is pretty much useless without data?
    05-22-13 07:53 AM
    Rob, I'm checking Mireo's site and I can't even seem to find map prices (although it lists them for Android and the Iphone). But is Mireo pretty much the only good map app? I had garmin on my 8900 and 9900 and it was terrible...but I think that it's normally the best gps company out there.
    I haven't used Mireo myself, but may try it in a few weeks as I have a trip to the USA where offline maps may come in handy. The last time I was in the US, I used Magellan Compass on the Playbook, but if you went off your route you lost your maps. Two years ago I used Magellan Compass online to drive back from a ski hill in Maine and the thre or four hours of data cost about $10, at $1 per MB, so a long trip could get expensive.

I think the Mireo Maps are in the $20-30 range for a whole region. The details are on their web site. It looks like North America is $24.99, lifetime updates. It is a reasonable price considering what data costs while roaming.

http://www.mireo.hr/en/mireo-shop
    05-22-13 08:03 AM
    I haven't used Mireo myself, but may try it in a few weeks as I have a trip to the USA where offline maps may come in handy. The last time I was in the US, I used Magellan Compass on the Playbook, but if you went off your route you lost your maps. Two years ago I used Magellan Compass online to drive back from a ski hill in Maine and the thre or four hours of data cost about $10, at $1 per MB, so a long trip could get expensive.

I think the Mireo Maps are in the $20-30 range for a whole region. The details are on their web site. It looks like North America is $24.99, lifetime updates. It is a reasonable price considering what data costs while roaming.

http://www.mireo.hr/en/mireo-shop
    No, no. It's a pretty good GPS once it gets a lock. But assisted would be better.

Edit: ment to quote the above post.
    05-22-13 09:47 AM
    On my PlayBook I use OsmAnd for offline GPS. This is also available for the Q10 but I have not used it yet. It's an Android port but works quite well.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    05-22-13 12:07 PM