Hi

Any help very welcome. I have a Q10, connects fine to Win 7 and BlackBerry Link. New Laptop running Windows 8.1, plug in using USB cable and device is not even registered as connected (no 'connect' sound etc). Have several different original cables, same on all (and work fine on old Windows 7 machine). BB link does not recognise a device connected, no device showing in devices and drives. Looking in device manager, no errors. Tried various USB ports on machine, all the same.

Using BB Link I did have the Q10 recognised and connected via wireless. Rather stupidly in link in the device settings I unchecked the 'turn on wireless connections to my computer' box. Now I can't connect this way either as as the device is showing as disconnected.

Wonder if anyone else has had similar?

Any thought very welcome.

Thanks in advance!
    02-03-14 08:31 AM
    Mine does that from time to time, a reboot of the computer normally fixes the issue.

I did have problems with my USB3 port on Windows 8, but it works fine on Windows 8.1 with my Z10.

Only suggestion would be to uninstall LINK and then download the latest version and reinstall it.....
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-03-14 08:43 AM
    Sounds to me you have USB driver issue. I would first check that.
    Second to that would be un-install and re-install it.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and chris11699 like this.
    02-03-14 08:46 AM
    I usually reboot the phone when this happens and the problem goes away.

Posted via CB10
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-03-14 08:47 AM
    Thanks but a reboot does not fix, nor does re-installing Link (although I can now connect wireless again - but no good for backup and some syncing).......
    02-03-14 12:51 PM
    I suspect you may be correct re the USB driver issue - any tips on how to approach this?
    02-03-14 12:51 PM
    Best bid would starting with your manufacturer (Dell, Sony, HP, Lenovo, Asus).
    Another solution would run Windows update. I have a laptop that came windows 7 and have installed Windows 8.1 and was having a lot of driver issues.

That is why I feel you have the same issue.

Posted via CB10
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-03-14 04:55 PM
    I've seen several posts saying that using a USB2 port works better than a USB3 port to connect with BlackBerry Link. Have you tried that? (Probably a driver issue.)

Posted via my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.1.0.4189
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-03-14 05:22 PM
    I had this problem on my Win 8.1 machine.
    I noticed that the USB driver did not seem to be installing correctly for my device (Mine's a Z30)
    Here is what I did -
    I unplugged phone from computer.
    I opened the Windows Device Manger.
    I watched to see what device showed up in the Windows Device Manager as I plugged in the phone.
    I noticed that it seemed to not be identified correctly - I don't remember exactly, but it was some unidentified BB device.
    I clicked on it's properties and chose to update driver.
    I selected to Browse my files for the correct driver.
    I pointed it to "C:\\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB Drivers"
    It found the correct driver and updated.
    My Z30 now showed correctly in the Windows Device manager, and was now recognized by the BlackBerry Device Manager.
    Works perfectly since then.

Good luck.
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-03-14 06:02 PM
    I had this problem on my Win 8.1 machine.
    I noticed that the USB driver did not seem to be installing correctly for my device (Mine's a Z30)
    Here is what I did -
    I unplugged phone from computer.
    I opened the Windows Device Manger.
    I watched to see what device showed up in the Windows Device Manager as I plugged in the phone.
    I noticed that it seemed to not be identified correctly - I don't remember exactly, but it was some unidentified BB device.
    I clicked on it's properties and chose to update driver.
    I selected to Browse my files for the correct driver.
    I pointed it to "C:\\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\USB Drivers"
    It found the correct driver and updated.
    My Z30 now showed correctly in the Windows Device manager, and was now recognized by the BlackBerry Device Manager.
    Works perfectly since then.

Good luck.
    Thanks for that jhimmel tried it but no joy I'm afraid. The odd thing is, if it is a USB driver issue I have no problems with multiple other USB devices. As I said the Q10 works just fine on several other machines running Windows 7.....

I'll try the Dell updates (running a Dell machine) and will post back either way in case anyone else getting this. Odd and frustrating.........
    02-05-14 03:38 PM
    Some USB 2.0 devices, I have found, don't play nice with USB 3.0 ports. Do you have any USB ports that aren't blue?

Posted via CB10
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-05-14 08:12 PM
    I found it weird that my Q10 connects as a mapped network drive instead of a typical Removable Drive as experienced using other Smartphones.

Although Win8.1 / BB Link / and my Q10 runs smoothly.

But you may try to check first your device settings for the following:
    1. Development Mode turned off
    2. Storage and Access USB Connection set to "Connect to Windows"

if it still doesn't work, try disabling Windows firewall and see if it get's to know your device.

Note: please be advised that there are security issues/risk disabling your PC's firewall, if uncertain never leave it disabled
    chris11699 likes this.
    02-06-14 12:21 AM
    Some USB 2.0 devices, I have found, don't play nice with USB 3.0 ports. Do you have any USB ports that aren't blue?

Yep, tried that, no success. Thank anyway.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 08:52 AM
    I found it weird that my Q10 connects as a mapped network drive instead of a typical Removable Drive as experienced using other Smartphones.

Although Win8.1 / BB Link / and my Q10 runs smoothly.

But you may try to check first your device settings for the following:
    1. Development Mode turned off
    2. Storage and Access USB Connection set to "Connect to Windows"

if it still doesn't work, try disabling Windows firewall and see if it get's to know your device.

Note: please be advised that there are security issues/risk disabling your PC's firewall, if uncertain never leave it disabled
    Thanks for that but still no joy. Connects via BB link wireless fine and shows as a network drive Y: (SD card) and Z: (Flash drive) and access to the files this way. But..... although charges with USB connection (USB 2.0 and 3.0) with 2 different original cables used, no USB connection showing in BB link so cannot backup or do full sync.

Chris
    02-06-14 09:36 AM
    Thanks for that but still no joy. Connects via BB link wireless fine and shows as a network drive Y: (SD card) and Z: (Flash drive) and access to the files this way. But..... although charges with USB connection (USB 2.0 and 3.0) with 2 different original cables used, no USB connection showing in BB link so cannot backup or do full sync.

Chris
    Sorry for that. I have a thought, that this should be something that needs to be configured within the BlackBerry device. But definitely clueless what exactly was it.

Since you've already followed the advice through the device manager, and I assume your running on win8.1 pro.

Maybe you should also trigger a help directly from BlackBerry support team.u. While finding solutions to your thread.

Running Q10 BB10.2.1 (OS1925-RADIO1926)
    02-07-14 10:00 PM