Got our Q10 a bit wet, with a quick dry. After a few minutes, the screen went out. Oddly, the rest of the device is working, just not the screen or digitizer. Pressing the lock button doesn't bring up the screen, neither does the up-swipe. The status led still works, the keyboard lights up, and the speaker still alerts at the old volume, and we're able to send/receive texts with a Playbook and Blackberry Bridge... we know it's booted, when the text message alert comes up on the Playbook.

The part can be had on Amazon for $30 (with tools), yet don't want to go through the exercise if someone says "motherboard, don't bother".

Thoughts? Thanks!
    02-12-15 11:33 AM
    Thoughts? Thanks!
    Thoughts? This is what I would do if it were mine. I'd disassemble it down to the boards, clean those with ultra purified water (if there is such a thing) and completely dry it with low level heat before making any king of a judgement call. Quite possibly it might bring up evidence of water intrusion into the screen and digitizer making the decision to purchase a new one even easier. On the other hand, $30 isn't to difficult to handle either.
    02-12-15 11:44 AM
    I would recommend disassembly and air dry with no heat, you dont want condensation in parts that you cannot see. Also i would suggest replacing the screen/digitazier assembly as it is an inexpensive solution and sholuld only take a few minutes to do; check ebay for the best prices (https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...1%26_nkw%3DQ10) i have bought items from here and are OEM and good prices.
    FCSC likes this.
    02-12-15 12:11 PM
    Might take a chance on a screen but there may be more damage.
    02-12-15 12:13 PM
    Might take a chance on a screen but there may be more damage.
    Yea, that's about where I was at. I've ordered a used Q10 from eBay (wow, depreciation for this model is high). After I get it up and running, I'll order a new screen, see if I can get the old one working again, then keep it around as a backup. Thanks!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-12-15 03:17 PM
    Here is what I think you should do. It seems like the motherboard may be O.K. because you said the phone seems to be functioning normally besides the display not working. I would go to etradesupply or ebay and buy the complete display,midframe,keyboard assembly. Basically this is the entire phone (Display, keyboard, frame, etc) minus the motherboard. Remove the motherboard from your phone and install it in the new assembly. Done. Replacing the display basically requires you to completely disassemble the entire phone anyway. Save yourself a little work and just remove the motherboard from the phone and install it in a new assembly. Much less work and about the same cost as buying a new display.
    02-13-15 03:09 PM