Been away from Blackberry since Android launched. Really miss the keyboard and keyboard shortcuts of the Berry. Currently an iPhone 5 user but not tied to iOS. I'd like to come back to a Berry and I'm pretty sure I could make do with the limited apps as I have a tablet that would suffice for my entertainment fix. Really like the idea of all day battery life on the Q10 also. Looking at the Verizon version but have a few questions before I grab one. Generally I'm a Gmail/dropbox/Google Voice/Weather radar app user. I might do a quick search with the web browser but my main use will be emails/texts and Facebook along with heavy mobile hotspot usage.

1. Can I sync my Gmail contacts and calendar easily and will they stay in sync between adding items via the phone and desktop?

2. Is there a way to setup a profile to only allows certain calls to come in like the days of the 5.0 OS?

3. Does the mobile hotspot stay connected reliably? (This is a big deal for my use)

4. Is the OS stable? I need to make sure the phone isn't crashing/displaying errors as it will be my work phone also.

5. Finally, does an Otterbox case make it difficult to do the swiping on the screen? It does on my iPhone so I wanted to ask.

Thanks for the help....

Rob
    09-27-13 02:30 AM
    1. Can I sync my Gmail contacts and calendar easily and will they stay in sync between adding items via the phone and desktop?
    Originally my Gmail was syncing contacts and one calendar, but now I just use it to receive messages. When I was using it, it seemed to work fine, updates took a minute or two to sync but I never ran into any trouble with it.

2. Is there a way to setup a profile to only allows certain calls to come in like the days of the 5.0 OS?
    You can setup different ring tones for people, but there isn't much in the way of 'call screening' within profiles right now.

3. Does the mobile hotspot stay connected reliably? (This is a big deal for my use)
    I've used the hotspot heavily since getting my Q10 and while I have had a few leaks early on that had some flaky behavior, everything lately has shown it to be very quick and stable. Ahhh, LTE hotspot on it really is just as good as my Verizon LTE hotspot, actually better in quite a few ways as that hotspot is kind of a POS.

4. Is the OS stable? I need to make sure the phone isn't crashing/displaying errors as it will be my work phone also.
    I think I've seen my Q10 reboot once or twice on one of the previously mentioned early leaks, but everything for the last few months has been rock solid. Displaying errors has never been an issue, normally when an app or something dies, it just goes away. 99% of the time you can just re-open the app and it's fine from there on out. Not many apps do this though, normally just early versions of applications and developers get it fixed quick.

5. Finally, does an Otterbox case make it difficult to do the swiping on the screen? It does on my iPhone so I wanted to ask.
    Have an otterbox and I love it, swiping isn't hampered much as there's a little bit of space between the edge of the screen and the edge of the phone. FWIW I'm using the Commuter and not the Defender, never had a complaint with it on, but I also don't put the case on every day.
    bubbarob1978 likes this.
    09-27-13 03:08 AM
    Thanks for the info. Bummer about the call screening options but I rarely get a call that wakes me anyway. It's just nice having a do not disturb function.

Very informative reply and I appreciate it. Next stop is the store to actually hold the display model and see how it feels.

Thanks again

Rob
    09-27-13 03:33 AM
    I can't add much there, since I don't use any Google services. However I haven't read about many complains regarding BB10 and Google syncing. BlackBerry completely reworked their system to most modern standards for syncing and it should work flawlessly.
    My hotspot, which I use rather rarely, works like a charm.
    You can still enable the "night mode" on your device, which initially silences all sort of notifications. As of 10.1, you have an option to allow calls coming through.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    bubbarob1978 likes this.
    09-27-13 04:40 AM