Okay, I would love to try a blackberry for the first time! (From Symbian)

How well does the Q10 work as a music player? My phone will be my main music device, it needs to work properly.

- Is it possible to sync with Media Monkey?
    - Sound quality through ear phones?
    - Usability of the OEM music app?

Please let me know what your experience has been like.

Cheers!
    01-28-14 12:05 AM
    I love it as a mp3 player. I use my old iphone headphones and the audio is amazing. That mixed with the incredible battery life it's perfect. I don't have an answer to your other questions though

My Q10 is sexier than your Q10.
    01-28-14 12:13 AM
    Oh and the oem music app isn't great but it's enjoyable

My Q10 is sexier than your Q10.
    01-28-14 12:14 AM
    The built in ap works but that is about it. I came from the iphone 4 and in all honesty it is one of the very few things that I miss from the ios platform. The biggest thing I miss from that is the ability to view a list format of artists, albums and tracks, especially artist. On bb10 you get a thumbnail view of the artists.

Q10 as a Music Player-img_00000152.png

Once you are into a particular artist it is fine.

I use the q10 as my main music source now and it works okay, the sound quality for my purposes is great using the included headphone but I am also not a dedicated audiophile so take that as you will.

I've never used that program you mentioned, I simply put my music onto a micro-sd and then put it into the phone which then indexes it from there. I know BlackBerry link will work with itunes but havnt used it, itunes is probably the #2 or #3 reason I left ios.

Blackberry... For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don't understand, no explanation is possible...
    01-28-14 04:03 AM
    Thanks for the reply

I could actually deal with the thumbnail thing, but I wanted to know, if you have more than one album by the same artist, do you get to choose the album from the list again? Or are all the albums from the artist come out already expanded?

My current phone actually expands all the albums songs from the same artist, sometimes our can be annoying to scroll that much.
    01-28-14 09:12 AM
    The media player that comes pre-loaded on the phone is nice, but I would really recommend that you download Neutron and use that app as your main driver.

It gives you a powerful equaliser and lifts the quality of the music playback to another level entirely. I more or less completely stopped using the pre-loaded one the day I got Neutron.

Mayhaps a little bit off topic, but when it comes to music and bb10 I would say that Neutron and Hype Machine are two mandatory apps.

Posted via CB10
    skstrials likes this.
    01-28-14 01:06 PM
    And yeah.. if you buy a q10, sideload snap, then you can install media monkey. (I haven't tried it, but the app at least shows up and is installable, so my guess is that it'll work) .

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 03:14 PM
    It's kind of hard to show but basically when you select your artist it brings you to a list view where the album is the heading then it lists all the songs on that album, then shows the next album the same way all one after another on the same screen.

Q10 as a Music Player-img_00000153.png

You can then choose to shuffle that album, shuffle all play all etc from that screen. What I do is take the music I really like and put it into one big playlist then put shuffle and repeat all on. When you close it and reopen the app it will remember what song you were on as well as your time point in that song. As to neutron, I have it installed and played with iut fdor a few minutes but since I'm not a hardcose audiophile and I just want to listen to stuff on the bus and walking etc I really don't feel the need to use an equalizer and other such tools.

Blackberry... For those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don't understand, no explanation is possible...
    skstrials likes this.
    01-28-14 04:15 PM
    I've been using the BB10 default player until I can find something better. It works fine, sound is excellent with decent earphones (I listen to a lot of classical music, in high bitrate mp3s or lossless formats) and I don't usually look at the app while listening, after choosing something.

But choosing is a bumpy process. The app doesn't always show the difference between the Composer and the Artist, even though most of my music is tagged for both. So if I have 3 versions of the same piece, performed by different people, it can be a crapshoot trying to tell them apart without a proper display of all the track info. And getting it to sort by Composer vs. Artist vs. Title is dicey too.

I keep hoping for a good free / open-source app which will correctly read and display the classical music tags which I created over the years on my PC, but haven't seen anything yet in BBW.

Posted via my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.1.0.4189
    01-29-14 05:45 AM