I know there have been several reports on the problems with BB10 microphones, but is there an easy way to fix them, other than paying more than 50 pounds for the pleasure?

(When I make or receive calls, the other person can hear me if I use headphones or speaker-phone, but not if I use the main microphone.)
    10-24-14 05:44 AM
    As always, use the BlackBerry Virtual Expert (BBVE) to test your microphone. If it fails, you know that your issue is hardware. Either you opened the phone and didn't reconnect it, either it's an oxidation issue (very frequent for smartphone).
    10-24-14 07:05 AM
    As always, use the BlackBerry Virtual Expert (BBVE) to test your microphone. If it fails, you know that your issue is hardware. Either you opened the phone and didn't reconnect it, either it's an oxidation issue (very frequent for smartphone).
    Hi, and thanks.

I used BBVE and it came up all clear.

But I'm a bit confused by this anyway... when I ran the BBVE tests, there wasn't a test for speaking into the microphone as you do when you make a phone call - and that's the only function I'm having a problem with.
    10-24-14 07:25 AM
    But I'm a bit confused by this anyway... when I ran the BBVE tests, there wasn't a test for speaking into the microphone as you do when you make a phone call
    It's the "Audio Record" test. Check if you need to update the app in BlackBerry world.
    Attachment 308983
    Last edited by Joshu42; 10-24-14 at 08:31 AM.
    10-24-14 08:09 AM
    On the Q10, the microphone is down on the bottom rim of the phone, just to the right of the speaker. Make sure you're not accidentally covering it with a finger when you talk. Sounds silly but it's easy to do without realizing it.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.3253/3182 Radio
    10-24-14 08:35 AM
    It's the "Audio Record" test. Check if you need to update the app in BlackBerry world.
    Attachment 308983
    Ah, yes - so it is. Thanks.

But that didn't help. The microphone works in every other way, including for Parrot etc.

It's literally just with voice calls not made via speaker-phone.

It's a strange one.
    10-24-14 08:52 AM
    On the Q10, the microphone is down on the bottom rim of the phone, just to the right of the speaker. Make sure you're not accidentally covering it with a finger when you talk. Sounds silly but it's easy to do without realizing it.

It's not a silly suggestion - it's just the sort of thing I'd do!

But it's not the problem in this case.

I don't seem to be alone with this issue - Googling "Q10 microphone problem" shows a lot of similar complaints. Just no remedy as of yet.
    10-24-14 08:54 AM
    Right - it's time to laugh at me about this. I've been a bit of an *****...

I think that had it been only me who'd had this problem, I would have kept persevering with it. Because others seem to have the same problem, I just assumed it was a technical problem that was beyond me, so I gave up.

But for some reason, it suddenly occurred to me to clean out the microphone. It's a tiny little hole that you can barely see, and it wasn't immediately clear that there was anything blocking it, but a damp safety pin (used very gently) dislodged some dust/fluff, and - bravo! - the problem has been solved.

Obviously, I don't know if this will solve it for other people, but it's worth a try.
    Dunmanway Emar likes this.
    10-29-14 05:59 AM
    Hooray!

10-29-14 03:15 PM
    Right - it's time to laugh at me about this. I've been a bit of an *****...

I think that had it been only me who'd had this problem, I would have kept persevering with it. Because others seem to have the same problem, I just assumed it was a technical problem that was beyond me, so I gave up.

But for some reason, it suddenly occurred to me to clean out the microphone. It's a tiny little hole that you can barely see, and it wasn't immediately clear that there was anything blocking it, but a damp safety pin (used very gently) dislodged some dust/fluff, and - bravo! - the problem has been solved.

Obviously, I don't know if this will solve it for other people, but it's worth a try.
    Looks like I'm in good company.
    I'd tried everything as well without success and then came across your posting and it worked.
    Thank you!
    (only trouble is I was using the non-working Q10 as an excuse to buy a Classic)
    12-19-14 09:56 AM