Is there a way to update the MAPS data on my Q10? I use that regularly as a Satnav and she feeds me much incorrect data - like wrong exit from roundabout, and even sent me to a completely incorrect destination for a given postcode. Should I be using an alternative app, and if so what?
    11-17-18 01:39 PM
    I think it's worth getting any $100 Android phone. I'll shortly explain why.

Q10 is quite old thing these days. It's app support is somewhere close to zero and it's ability to run them is not any better: as long there is no proprietar nav SW for that, Android apps won't run well.

You can keep your Q10 and use this $100 phone just for driving.

Consider your wage is $10 per hour. This means you can spend in the end 10 hours trying to find well working nav app, which is going to work well on your Q10. Even after these 10 hours the result is very unsure.

This means spending $100 for refurbished and tested Android phone (some with no GPS issues) is much less risky investment. You'll also save a lot of time. Much better than wasting 10 hours of your life (equal to $100) and spending $100 after all too. Total loss would had been $200 in the end.

Also take in place you'll instantly save a lot of time when on the road, saving fuel for not having to drive the wrong directions, save youself a lot of stress etc. This also counts.

For $100 you'd get a device with current maps. You might be also getting a nav device with life time free map updates. Also possible.

Don't waste your time, buddy. :-)
    11-17-18 02:52 PM
    BlackBerry is no longer updating its maps on BB10.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-17-18 03:13 PM
    Is there a way to update the MAPS data on my Q10? I use that regularly as a Satnav and she feeds me much incorrect data - like wrong exit from roundabout, and even sent me to a completely incorrect destination for a given postcode. Should I be using an alternative app, and if so what?
    Use google.com/maps.
    11-17-18 03:16 PM
    BlackBerry is no longer updating its maps on BB10.

Doesn't BB 10 maps download data from a TomTom (or other commercial) repository? If it does you might expect maps to be updated as downloaded. If not, I don't know what I'm talking about, which is quite likeley

What I have noticed about bb10 maps more recently is it's reluctance to update background maps while on the road, meaning that you can be driving with voice guided satnav but no visual maps. This has become an increasingly frequent issue over recent months on my Q10.

There is another native app Navfree that some report as working well. That app downloads and stores all map data on the handset.

There's more maps discussion on this thread /blackberry-10-apps-f274/bb10-list-native-bb10-apps-still-supported-still-work-great-useful-1107710-post13306214/
    11-18-18 03:28 AM
    Use google.com/maps.
    Does this work well on BB 10 devices?
    11-18-18 03:29 AM
    Doesn't BB 10 maps download data from a TomTom (or other commercial) repository? If it does you might expect maps to be updated as downloaded. If not, I don't know what I'm talking about, which is quite likeley

What I have noticed about bb10 maps more recently is it's reluctance to update background maps while on the road, meaning that you can be driving with voice guided satnav but no visual maps. This has become an increasingly frequent issue over recent months on my Q10.

There is another native app Navfree that some report as working well. That app downloads and stores all map data on the handset.

There's more maps discussion on this thread https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=13306214
    I think that traffic data coming from TomTom is updated (obviously), but the maps themselves, as well as business information, is frozen in time somewhere in 2013-15.
    11-18-18 07:53 AM
    For established cities the native seems to do OK, but sometimes I overshoot my destination by a building or two.

For anything newer I will second the use of a cheap android phone via mobile hotspot.

 Classic SQC100-2 I 10.3.2.2813
    11-18-18 09:47 AM
    but the maps themselves, as well as business information, is frozen in time somewhere in 2013-15.
    How can that be if I have an intersection less than 1/2 mile from my home that was changed radically just over 1 year ago and has been showing up as new on BB Maps? I'm pretty sure that BB Maps is just using map data from TomTom's website (which is updated regularly, obviously).
    11-18-18 09:48 AM
    How can that be if I have an intersection less than 1/2 mile from my home that was changed radically just over 1 year ago and has been showing up as new on BB Maps? I'm pretty sure that BB Maps is just using map data from TomTom's website (which is updated regularly, obviously).
    Interesting. Major new roads installed in my area three years ago are not showing up. I am rerouted around them constantly, and when I'm on them I show up as traveling in empty space.

11-18-18 09:54 AM
    Interesting. Major new roads installed in my area three years ago are not showing up. I am rerouted around them constantly, and when I'm on them I show up as traveling in empty space.

I was under the impression that BB Maps was designed HTML5/WebWorks so that it would tie into TomTom but I may be totally out to lunch.
    11-18-18 10:07 AM
    I think that traffic data coming from TomTom is updated (obviously), but the maps themselves, as well as business information, is frozen in time somewhere in 2013-15.
    This was the main reason I ditched my Z10 in 2015. I do not use two phones . Do you have two separate Sims ? Is it possible to get two sims for one number?
    11-18-18 10:08 AM
    This was the main reason I ditched my Z10 in 2015. I do not use two phones . Do you have two separate Sims ? Is it possible to get two sims for one number?
    I use one SIM for my BB10 phones and another for my KEYone. I still generally prefer maps on my BB10 phones. I don't need route finding very often. I just want to see where I am when in an unfamiliar area. 99.5% of the time, BB10 maps are great, and I really, really hate Google Maps on mobile, though I like them on PC.

11-18-18 10:27 AM
    ....and two phone numbers. Personal on Android and professional on BB10.

11-18-18 10:29 AM
    Looks like I am stuck with just being aware of possible errors. Lots of interesting input, thank you.
    I have a Q10 solely because Q10 has the physical keyboard which I find easier to use than screen based keys.
    11-18-18 01:50 PM
    Does Tom Tom still exist and is actively maintained?
    11-18-18 02:09 PM
    Does Tom Tom still exist and is actively maintained?
    Yes. Among other things they provide data to Apple Maps.

11-18-18 06:31 PM
    If I upgrade to a KEY2 will that have better built in MAPS?
    11-19-18 01:37 PM
    It's an Android device. You'll have plenty of choices.
    11-19-18 01:59 PM
    Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: the Key2 is an Android device and you have a much wider choice of map (and sat nav) apps. Default will be Google Maps but there are plenty of alternatives, some free and some paid for. Check out the Playstore, just type in maps and you'll find lots of options.
    11-19-18 02:02 PM
    Short answer: Yes!

Long answer: the Key2 is an Android device and you have a much wider choice of map (and sat nav) apps. Default will be Google Maps but there are plenty of alternatives, some free and some paid for. Check out the Playstore, just type in maps and you'll find lots of options.
    Is there a better smartphone mapping app than Google maps? Which one and why?
    11-20-18 10:04 PM
    Is there a better smartphone mapping app than Google maps? Which one and why?
    If you're only concerned with performance, and don't care about privacy, Google Maps is probably your best option.

11-21-18 01:10 PM
    Sure. Install Google Play Store (check YouTube videos) then download Google Maps and Install.
    12-04-18 03:23 PM
    Sure. Install Google Play Store (check YouTube videos) then download Google Maps and Install.
    You don't even need to install the Google Play Store.
    12-04-18 06:43 PM
    I recommend loading the Maps.me android app, it lets you download maps for free and use them offline. Runs great on the Q10 and Classic. No Play Store or Services needed.
    http://maps.me/apk/
    12-04-18 07:24 PM
28 12