OP - I'm sorry you had that issue. I always keep an extra battery in my bag just in case. With all the snow storms I've had this year I've actually bought another one, just in case there are power failures, etc. I know you rushed out, but you probably took your purse purse with you; I suggest putting an extra battery there. I also keep extra chargers in my car and back when I was married I kept one in my ex's car as well. What can I tell you, I'm OCD about batteries.

Now...as to the freezing, I've got a Q10 that I've loved since day one and I've never had any trouble with it EXCEPT for a freeze last week. I needed to reboot it. I had been using FB so I wonder if the app might have interfered in some way. That's just a thought.

And a lesson learned in this thread....ranting can cause some backlash. Unfortunately some folks can't stand to hear anything even remotely negative and act out. Sad, but true. You'll need to remember that if you decide to rant again. For now, I hope you isolate whatever it is that is happening with your Q. Perhaps a rogue app?
    03-23-14 10:47 AM
    Yeesh. Guys, I'm just frustrated. I'm not leaving blackberry, and certainly not for an iPhone. I regret posting this, I didn't mean to get people riled up. I'm just frustrated by a few things on this phone (it's still my favourite phone I've ever had). It's just too bad that SMS is so unreliable. I should have been more clear that that's my main issue.

As for leaks - that's a thought. However, I believe firmly that BlackBerry needs to release a phone where the core features work flawlessly out of the box. I can deal with glitchy apps but texting NEEDS to be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    Those were my very own words when my BlackBerry 99xx devices nuked and bricked. But honestly, there is no way to release anything 100 percent without bugs.
    03-23-14 10:54 AM
    Dear OP,

My experience indicates one shouldn't use Android apps when battery is in the lows and no backup power is at hand. Don't want to sound snobby here, but I rather kill time checking the nytimes, bloomberg, aljazeera, or the economist.

Having said that, I always have my second battery at hand. You know, power users. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 11:52 AM
    Can you explain what you mean by your voice being cracky unless you use an external phone attachment? For me the call quality on blackberry has always been one of the strong points.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:08 PM
    I have to say, I think Nokia here is actually pretty crappy.

Last phone was a Nokia wp8, but upon buying my Q I was way more happy with blackberry maps!

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:13 PM
    Can you explain what you mean by your voice being cracky unless you use an external phone attachment? For me the call quality on blackberry has always been one of the strong points.

Posted via CB10
    Ha....i missed that. I've never had that issue.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    03-23-14 12:48 PM
    There is an SMS (texting issue) issue with old versions of BlackBerry 10. Has to do with very long stored text messages and a great amount of lag loading one to continue a conversation -- that type of thing. Sounds like what you experienced.

I'd update my OS if I were you. If your carrier does not have the latest OS there are a couple of ways on here to get and install it.

Using the GPS nav is one of the most battery intensive things I have seen on my Z10. Something I would avoid using if I did not have a car charger and was getting low. So at least now you know.

But yeah you can fix that texting thing if you want to.

Edit: Ok I see you say you keep up on updates so I'd be surprised to see a texting issue like that on the latest releases. Perhaps you can post the version you're using.
    03-23-14 12:59 PM
    I haven't actually had a chance to test and listen to the crackly voice for myself yet, but others have described it as it sounding like I am mumbling or like they are "losing me". It's been happening for maybe 3 weeks now?

As for the SMS issue: I have started deleting text threads whenever possible, but this issue has been an issue for most of the time I have had this phone, and is definitely my main complaint. I'm running 10.2.1.2102.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-14 03:39 PM
    I haven't actually had a chance to test and listen to the crackly voice for myself yet, but others have described it as it sounding like I am mumbling or like they are "losing me". It's been happening for maybe 3 weeks now?

As for the SMS issue: I have started deleting text threads whenever possible, but this issue has been an issue for most of the time I have had this phone, and is definitely my main complaint. I'm running 10.2.1.2102.

Posted via CB10
    When you delete the texts, does this solve the issue? I tend to forget to clean up my SMS and always leave threads open with the people I text the most. After a while though, I have a HUGE number of texts and the OS has difficulty loading it all. I think it's not a limitation of the OS, it's just something I should manage.

I also realize I'm taking up a lot of memory with all those old texts. Also, I have never scrolled back to see what the texts were, so I really don't need them.

There are apps that allow you to back up your SMS threads onto your SD card.

Lastly, in the HUB, you can delete the thread completely, or just clear it so you clear the old individual messages but keep the thread in the HUB so you don't have to start from scratch. From the HUB, open the thread and then select the three dots menu and you'll find "clear chat" and "end chat."

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-24-14 06:29 PM
    I do have started having to delete chats almost daily. I understand you can't expect to just keep every text forever, but a day or two of texting shouldn't completely overwhelm a phone which is physically designed for avid texters! That's good to know about the difference between clearing and deleting though, thanks for that.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:30 AM
    Had a 90 minute drive today using Maps for nav, bluetooth streaming music in the car, and streaming via Slacker. Started at 97% and ended at 47%. Also had a 30 minute call (in place of the music of course). Thought that was pretty good battery performance given it was screen-on and using cell and bluetooth and gps straight for 90 minutes.
    03-25-14 07:31 PM
    I have a q10 and an iphone 5. The i5 is my main device. If I tried the same navigation with my i5 at 23%, it would be dead in 10 miles.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 11:47 AM

I understand navigation takes up a fair amount of battery but I just took a trip to the states with a friend and his iPhone got us across multiple states and hardly dug into his battery so I don't think this is a cross-platform issue.

Finally, 23% is not almost dead! That's a quarter charge, not even into the yellow. I should not have to expect my phone to completely die on me within 30 minutes, sending only 2 texts and using the maps for perhaps 10 minutes.

I know I could have been better prepared, but the battery issues aside, I would have been fine if SMS wasn't frozen. That issue alone is so detrimental to productivity....

Posted via CB10
    Was your friends iphone plugged in for the trip? Were you using talking navigation when it's just as easy to look at the maps driving details and store them in your brain. I've been playing around with my q10 for over two weeks. It's battery life has been rock solid and I haven't encountered one glitch or bug yet.

I wonder sometimes if people are making up situations or scenarios just for the fun of bashing blackberry or something. I'll tell you this though. My q10 is by far the best blackberry I've ever used and for me is way more intuitive than the Android OS. So easy to jump in and out of programs with one or two simple gestures and the ability to download and run android apps, gives this phone great flexibility. And for me with a new upgrade the phone cost me ZERO dollars . Major score! But I am jealous of the q20 on the horizon. Might have to use verizon's early upgrade promotion!

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 06:05 AM
    Was your friends iphone plugged in for the trip? Were you using talking navigation when it's just as easy to look at the maps driving details and store them in your brain. I've been playing around with my q10 for over two weeks. It's battery life has been rock solid and I haven't encountered one glitch or bug yet.

I wonder sometimes if people are making up situations or scenarios just for the fun of bashing blackberry or something. I'll tell you this though. My q10 is by far the best blackberry I've ever used and for me is way more intuitive than the Android OS. So easy to jump in and out of programs with one or two simple gestures and the ability to download and run android apps, gives this phone great flexibility. And for me with a new upgrade the phone cost me ZERO dollars . Major score! But I am jealous of the q20 on the horizon. Might have to use verizon's early upgrade promotion!

Posted via CB10
    Why would someone be required to memorise a map when there is an app meant for voice navigation?

Blaming the OP for using a phone feature as fully intended is hardly useful. The OP might have taken different actions for some things, but using a feature as fully intended is not something to find fault with.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    03-27-14 11:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    "Just as easy to store the information in your brain"

You don't use your contacts app in the phone right? just as easy to remember the numbers.
    03-27-14 12:06 PM
    Yeah man I'm sorry if you don't believe everything I'm saying, but I am not someone who makes stuff up to bash blackberry for fun. I am a diehard but I've had a lot of issues with the Q10. I'm sure some of it is my fault but some of it isn't, and there is nothing I hate more than when iPhone using friends are able to gloat over me.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 12:58 PM
66 123