I had to go pick up some supplies tonight for a last minute job tomorrow. I roped my boyfriend into driving me out there, and used my Q10 to navigate there. I had been watching some youtubes and playing candy crush while waiting for him, but when he pulled up I still had battery around 23%. While that's not great, it should have been sufficient to get me to my destination 30 minutes away.

So 20 minutes later I realize I'm at 3% battery so I close everything and memorize the address. I try to send a text to the person I had to meet, but of course my texting is frozen. OF COURSE. And before I can call her, it switches off. I get there but realize she's in a complex and I now have no way of getting a hold of her. I had to drive to a random bus stop and use a stranger's iPhone to make a long distance call.

It worked out in the end but my boyfriend was definitely irked that I dragged him across hell's half acre, the girl I was meeting was confused, and I'm going to get an hour less sleep than I'd like, not to mention wasted gas etc etc

I understand I'm using some fairly draining applications, and yeah my texts probably should have been erased more often, but I spent the day texting about this job, and needed to navigate to it. If this phone can't handle that for me (I'm just doing some cleaning supply promos in a grocery store!!) I cannot imagine how it could work for an actual high-powered business user.

This coupled with double-typing which just started about a month back and the fact that everyone lately complains about my voice being crackly unless I plug in my external "phone" attachment, I don't know what to do. I can't give up my keyboard and I adore blackberry but being let down so badly tonight made me finally admit that this phone is simply not keeping up.

Bah.

Posted via CB10
    Ozzycron likes this.
    03-20-14 02:13 AM
    High power business users allways got a carcharger or a batterypack
    When Im using Mireo, the first thing Im doing is to start charging my phone.
    GPS/Navigation eats your battery and not only BlackBerry Battery, but Samsungs,apples etc.too...so its not a BB problem.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10Bold
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-20-14 02:27 AM
    Although I don't have it myself, but my friend does on his Q10. BlackBerry should fix this sms issue ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 02:53 AM
    Perhaps high power users aren't watching YouTube and playing Candy Crush. Just a guess...
    03-20-14 06:50 AM
    I'd be let down by the boyfriend who didn't seem to have a phone lol

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 07:22 AM
    There is no phone today thats going to let you navigate a trip using maps at 23% battery, and the drive was 30min long??? Smart phones cant handle that.
    davisgq likes this.
    03-20-14 07:59 AM
    I agree. Navigation takes a lot of power from any device.

Posted from my zee thirt teee
    03-20-14 08:07 AM
    You were in a car but no usb charger was available? No phone from boyfriend?

When I get to 23% the last thing I do is fire up GPS and navigate for 30 minutes...I'll look for a charger or swap the battery. But then again, I'm one of those "high powered business users". Perhaps research the location you've never been to first and look at it on a map. Ask directions before you go. Sounds like you failed the phone, the phone didn't fail you.
    03-20-14 08:15 AM
    Sorry that you had issues. We are so reliant on our phones for everything these days. This is where a payphone would really shine, wouldn't it? A friend of mine had a similar experience over the summer here in Washington, DC where his HTC phone ran out of battery and we had no way of contacting him/locating him. He ran off to find a bathroom and got lost. We played a hunch that he would be back at his car, which he thankfully was, but nonetheless, we were all worried about him so we had to cut the trip short. He blamed the city. Lol. I guess if he had just asked me/told me that he was going to the bathroom, it would have saved a lot of trouble. But I digress.

Having a car charger or a spare battery is crucial and I hope that you have learned this lesson as well as battery-saving tips in those situations. Top off, top off, top off whenever you can. If I know that I may be heading out somewhere for an extended period, I top off my phone as much as I can. I haven't had a need to buy a spare battery for my Q10 yet. My 9930? I topped off AND I also carried a spare battery. GPS maps are a battery sucker. So are watching videos and playing games. Same as with any other smartphone. It's not the phone's fault. Blackberry is one of the few phones with the ability to swap batteries.

Anyways, I share the sentiments of the others. Key lesson learned I hope.
    03-20-14 09:06 AM
    Lets see????? You have a car that gets 20 miles to the gallon and your gas light comes on with one gallon in the tank. Then you decide to drive 25 miles? Pass five gas stations on the way and run out of gas before you get there? And its the cars fault? I'm not picking on you, but sounds to me you let your Q10 down.
    It would be worth the purchase of a car charger.
    03-20-14 10:16 AM
    Expecting a phone to run on "empty" is really not fair. Maybe give it some TLC in the form of a battery bundle or car charger? As for the double typing issue and text freezing, I can't comment since I have a Z10 . Not sure if you have the latest OS that might solve the issue? All the best with the job etc.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    03-20-14 10:30 AM
    I must agree with everyone else. You had low battery and ran high power applications. Whenever I'm under 25 percent I wouldn't expect to be able to do all the things I'd do above 25 percent.

I think what really let you down was your BF not having (or letting you use) his phone on top of your mistake.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 11:58 AM
    I always use my car charger when running BB maps. Problem solved.

SQN100-2 /10.2.1.2122
    03-20-14 12:21 PM
    Let me clarify a few things.

I was NOT suggesting I'm a business user - I was saying the opposite. I'm not.

I was not playing candy crush or youtubing in the car - and it's a bit of a low blow to criticize which apps I'm using. I also didn't map my whole way there, and telling me to look at a map... kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone.

I often bring an extra charger or battery with me, but I was in a rush and didn't grab one for this trip.

I understand navigation takes up a fair amount of battery but I just took a trip to the states with a friend and his iPhone got us across multiple states and hardly dug into his battery so I don't think this is a cross-platform issue.

Finally, 23% is not almost dead! That's a quarter charge, not even into the yellow. I should not have to expect my phone to completely die on me within 30 minutes, sending only 2 texts and using the maps for perhaps 10 minutes.

I know I could have been better prepared, but the battery issues aside, I would have been fine if SMS wasn't frozen. That issue alone is so detrimental to productivity....

Posted via CB10
    neilwhite and reeneebob like this.
    03-20-14 03:27 PM
    So... I'm guessing you never had a Z10.

Lol.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-20-14 03:36 PM
    I would agree you should be able to nav for 30 minutes with 23% left. I drive a certain 90 mile route regularly and have forgotten my charger a few times. I get in the rental car with about 90% (after the flight) and can nav all the way and still have over 60% remaining at arrival. I'm going to guess that wherever you were going also had horrible cell signal, which combined with gps can kill the battery super quick.

I also agree though that any android or iphone would not last either.
    03-20-14 03:45 PM
    I think the battery life issue is not one you're going to be able to defend; it's a gray area where many phones would also have died, so it's hard to beat up BB for that issue. In any event battery life is one of the Q10's strengths.

The keyboard issue is a legitimate beef, and I would search the forums for help; maybe you could download a leak and fix that.

The squeaky calls issue is also a legitimate beef and I would suggest the same thing; search the forums. I downloaded a leak once that gave me a weird feedback sound during calls and I went through two more leak versions before fixing it. I have since gone to another leak version and no problems.

I hope you stick with your Q10. I am convinced it is one of the best smartphones available. I'm on Verizon with 10.2.1.2228 and the user experience is superb.

Last idea is to consider the BB charger bundle for your Q. It's awesome and makes it very convenient to always have a spare battery with a full charge.

Good luck!

Via CB10 & Z10 or Q10
    03-20-14 04:08 PM
    If you know an iPhone would have gotten you though your 23% battery situation, then you should look into getting an Iphone. You can order online or stop by your local Apple store.

Posted via CB10
    Lostonline likes this.
    03-20-14 05:10 PM
    Too many vague details that lead to a plethora of variables.

And yeah sounds like you'd have issues with other phones also IMHO.

Let me clarify a few things.

I was NOT suggesting I'm a business user - I was saying the opposite. I'm not.

I was not playing candy crush or youtubing in the car - and it's a bit of a low blow to criticize which apps I'm using. I also didn't map my whole way there, and telling me to look at a map... kind of defeats the purpose of a smartphone.

I often bring an extra charger or battery with me, but I was in a rush and didn't grab one for this trip.

I understand navigation takes up a fair amount of battery but I just took a trip to the states with a friend and his iPhone got us across multiple states and hardly dug into his battery so I don't think this is a cross-platform issue.

Finally, 23% is not almost dead! That's a quarter charge, not even into the yellow. I should not have to expect my phone to completely die on me within 30 minutes, sending only 2 texts and using the maps for perhaps 10 minutes.

I know I could have been better prepared, but the battery issues aside, I would have been fine if SMS wasn't frozen. That issue alone is so detrimental to productivity....

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 05:34 PM
    I was gonna comment...then decided I don't care anymore.

Posted via CB10 with my Q10 on AT&T
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    03-20-14 06:01 PM
    I wouldn't say the battery is the phone's fault, but the frozen text messages is. My conversations sometimes take ages to load and I usually delete them once or twice a month.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    03-20-14 06:15 PM
    Yeesh. Guys, I'm just frustrated. I'm not leaving blackberry, and certainly not for an iPhone. I regret posting this, I didn't mean to get people riled up. I'm just frustrated by a few things on this phone (it's still my favourite phone I've ever had). It's just too bad that SMS is so unreliable. I should have been more clear that that's my main issue.

As for leaks - that's a thought. However, I believe firmly that BlackBerry needs to release a phone where the core features work flawlessly out of the box. I can deal with glitchy apps but texting NEEDS to be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    3Dee and CarGuy1368 like this.
    03-20-14 06:30 PM
    Just remember batteries are like gas tanks. It takes a while to move from full. But the closer you get to empty, the faster the needle drops! Have your boyfriend get you a charger for his car. My wife plays games a lot too, so I have a extra for her phone!

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 06:45 PM
    Yeesh. Guys, I'm just frustrated. I'm not leaving blackberry, and certainly not for an iPhone. I regret posting this, I didn't mean to get people riled up. I'm just frustrated by a few things on this phone (it's still my favourite phone I've ever had). It's just too bad that SMS is so unreliable. I should have been more clear that that's my main issue.

As for leaks - that's a thought. However, I believe firmly that BlackBerry needs to release a phone where the core features work flawlessly out of the box. I can deal with glitchy apps but texting NEEDS to be perfect.

Posted via CB10
    No regrets! We have to talk about something.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    I was on your side until you came up with the iPhone garbage. Having owned iPhones and a q10, your statement is an absolute fabrication.

Posted via ?? BlackBerry Z10 ??
    Thalestr likes this.
    03-20-14 08:28 PM
66 123