I don't have any PlayOn devices, but it looks like that functionality is expanded in 10.2.1.1055 to include videos playing in the web browser. Note the icon in the lower right of the screen:

Attachment 228534
    12-09-13 09:54 PM
    Is there a way to make it so that the top and bottom portions of the screen are not shown on the TV? That way the ratio could be correct when outputting to TVs.

If this isn't supported yet, blackberry really needs to implement it, the phone would still be totally usable because if you really need the top or bottom you'd just look at the phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:35 PM
    Use play on, it will display a movie the same as it does on the z10 with just strait plugging it in via hdmi. The play on doesn't have to be over dlna it can be via hdmi. I like play on as I can still do other things on my phone while a movie is playing. But yes there is 1 more step than three is with z10, and it's understandable given screen ratio. Also when you record a video with the q10 you need to be mindful of where you intend to play it and then record in that format, or just crop later using editor?

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:49 PM
    Outside of the video app..browser streaming for example (from my experiences)....the hdmi to TV mirrored my Q10 screen. No full screen though.

Posted via CB10 via Q10
    Same here

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:49 PM
    Sounds like the PlayOn feature makes it go full screen. But not sure if it's a magnified version of the small rectangle within the square. If streaming videos is your priority, I think maybe a Z would be a safer bet.

Posted via CB10
    It's not magnified, it actually plays the full screen size. There is a zoom feature as well though if you want to use that I think it's top right corner icon when video is playing.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:51 PM
    Resurrecting this thread as a happy new q10 user.

Any updates? I tried watching NHL gamecenter live but the resolution was awful. I also tried youtubing some videos, but while the resolution was full screen, the quality was lacking, despite it saying "HQ".

BB really needs to fix this. I wonder if the Classic or even Passport will have the same issue?
    11-03-14 10:22 PM
    Check if your browser is in Desktop mode, if not, you must activate it. Otherwise, you won't have HD as the website detects a mobile phone.

Playing a 1080p mp4 video on HDMI with the Q10 gives great result on my friend's TV. And don't forget the Play On option to activate it fullscreen.
    11-04-14 01:03 PM
    Check if your browser is in Desktop mode, if not, you must activate it. Otherwise, you won't have HD as the website detects a mobile phone.

Playing a 1080p mp4 video on HDMI with the Q10 gives great result on my friend's TV. And don't forget the Play On option to activate it fullscreen.
    So if I'm understanding you properly, if I am using the desktop version of a website (ie, youtube), it'll output in full 1080p?
    11-04-14 07:31 PM
    Go to the settings of the browser app, and then Developer Tools. Activate Desktop mode :
    Q10 and HDMI output-img_20141105_125858.png

Without the Desktop mode, I've always seen 720p videos in HQ, no more.
    11-05-14 06:01 AM
    Go to the settings of the browser app, and then Developer Tools. Activate Desktop mode :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141105_125858.png 
Views:	627 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	312253

Without the Desktop mode, I've always seen 720p videos in HQ, no more.
    I've done that and outputted via HDMI - it can't be more than 480p on the big screen.
    11-06-14 11:29 PM
    I've done that and outputted via HDMI - it can't be more than 480p on the big screen.
    Did you reload the page then ? And without the 'm' subdomain ? Can you force the quality in the player ? You're on Wi-Fi, right ?
    11-07-14 06:45 AM
    Did you reload the page then ? And without the 'm' subdomain ? Can you force the quality in the player ? You're on Wi-Fi, right ?
    Yep, it's the desktop site! The quality says 720p but still looks poor. Yes, on wifi .
    11-10-14 07:52 PM
    Did you have a 4k TV ?
    11-11-14 03:21 AM
    Did you have a 4k TV ?
    Haha sure do not. Just a 46" LCD. Are you able to output on HDMI on youtube using desktop and get really clear HD??
    11-11-14 02:53 PM
    Ha, I think I found why... I have to deactivate the html5 player and get back to the legacy flash version. With the html5 player you get the best video for your device. But it's not what you want, you want the best for your TV
    Test these links :

Better, no ?
    11-11-14 04:45 PM
    Ha, I think I found why... I have to deactivate the html5 player and get back to the legacy flash version. With the html5 player you get the best video for your device. But it's not what you want, you want the best for your TV
    Test these links :

Better, no ?
    I'll try these tomorrow. How did you deactivate the HTML5 player on the browser to run flash instead? This might fix my hockey streaming issue!!!
    11-12-14 12:27 AM
    I'll try these tomorrow. How did you deactivate the HTML5 player on the browser to run flash instead? This might fix my hockey streaming issue!!!
    The easy way, forge the url like so :
    https://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXX?version=3&vq=hd720
    Where you just replace the XXXXXX by the id of the video you want to watch.
    11-12-14 08:08 AM
    The easy way, forge the url like so :
    https://www.youtube.com/v/XXXXXX?version=3&vq=hd720
    Where you just replace the XXXXXX by the id of the video you want to watch.
    Ah I see...darn I was hoping it was a browser setting like on Google Chrome.
    11-12-14 01:01 PM
    It's been somewhat confirmed that flash was just left out of the leaked 10.3.1 build that it will be there for the official release

Posted via CB10
    I'm using the 10.3.1 leak. Do you think the quality'll be any better when the official one (with flash?) is released?
    11-12-14 01:04 PM
    So, how is the result of the HDMI playback with the links I provided ? Better I assume ?

Ah I see...darn I was hoping it was a browser setting like on Google Chrome.
    It's the only way to force the quality via URL.
    I guess you can also log into your Google account on the browser phone and go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 in order to uncheck the use of the HTML5 player. But you will still need to tap the "gear" icon to set the quality manually.

I'm using the 10.3.1 leak. Do you think the quality'll be any better when the official one (with flash?) is released?
    The Youtube flash player enables you to choose the quality you want on your mobile platform, that's all. The video file provided (low or high quality) is the same in the end.
    We already know that the 10.3.1 final release won't support Adobe Air app. We have no information about the Flash runtime. We'll see in due time

By the way, I think you can test FastTube, the so called "Ultimate YouTube player for BlackBerry 10". You will be able to change the quality setting
    >> http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/23064881
    Last edited by Joshu42; 11-12-14 at 10:09 PM.
    11-12-14 01:59 PM
    Or you get a chromecast.

Posted via my soon-to-be-replaced Samsung Galaxy express 2.
    11-13-14 05:24 AM
    So, how is the result of the HDMI playback with the links I provided ? Better I assume ?

It's the only way to force the quality via URL.
    I guess you can also log into your Google account on the browser phone and go to YouTube in order to uncheck the use of the HTML5 player. But you will still need to tap the "gear" icon to set the quality manually.

The Youtube flash player enables you to choose the quality you want on your mobile platform, that's all. The video file provided (low or high quality) is the same in the end.
    We already know that the 10.3.1 final release won't support Adobe Air app. We have no information about the Flash runtime. We'll see in due time

By the way, I think you can test FastTube, the so called "Ultimate YouTube player for BlackBerry 10". You will be able to change the quality setting
    >> FastTube- Ultimate YouTube player for BlackBerry 10 - BlackBerry World
    I haven't had a chance to try, but I will say that playing videos from my phone through HDMI results in perfect quality output. After all, that's the most important anyway, right?

Hmm, I thought FastTube was for pay. I'll give it a shot, thanks!
    11-17-14 02:17 PM
47 12