I've had the Q10 for about a week now and have seen an odd behavior twice: the device gets real warm (almost hot) and when this happens the battery drains quickly. There's obviously something/some app running that's heating this BB up and draining the battery, but I don't know how to find the culprit. Any ideas or advice?

UPDATE - July 23

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Really what I am/was looking for was not necessarily how to make the issue disappear, rather, if there is a utility of some sort that shows what apps or processes are running that might be sucking up the battery and heating up the Q10. It's not real practical to wipe the device, do a battery pull, or do some of the other suggestions every time it heats up.

What I did discover...and I think I'm on to something here....

While at work I keep the Q10 in a drawer with my other personal belongings. While in the drawer the signal strength is weak or non-existent. When I remove the BB from the drawer it's real warm, but after sitting on the desktop for a while it usually cools off on its own. If it doesn't, a simple power-cycle would do the trick. I suspected the constant search for a signal was the culprit of the overheating (gleaned from suggestions in this thread). So I added my number to a nearby femtocell in the office, confirmed that connection was established, and put the device back in the drawer. The signal is pegged at 5 bars while it's in the drawer. I haven't had the problem since.

In my case, it appears as though the constant signal search was the issue.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 07-23-13 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Troubleshooting results
    07-17-13 03:24 PM
    I have the same thing here!!

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 03:35 PM
    same problem, tried restarting , removed battery, etc. but issue remains.
    nobody seems to help....
    07-21-13 03:12 AM
    If no apps are running maybe it's trying to sync something, check your settings? Or what's ur signal like? Do you have 4g turned on with weak signal?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 03:16 AM
    I get this behaviour only while playing games - plus it appeared with .2309 software update. With the older stock software, the phone neither got that warm and didn't drain the battery as much. Is there some sort of battery monitoring software out there which tracks processes draining the battery? This might be a first thing to look at, figuring out what exactly causes your drainage.
    07-21-13 05:42 AM
    On my Q10 running latest leak (4651), I have no issue: excellent battery life and it never gets warm.
    07-21-13 07:10 AM
    That happened to me once. I took my battery out for a couple of hours, put it back in and I haven't had the issue ever since.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:28 AM
    If no apps are running maybe it's trying to sync something, check your settings? Or what's ur signal like? Do you have 4g turned on with weak signal?

Posted via CB10
    Settings - everything except Mobile Network is turned off. Signal is good (4-5 bars). How can I tell if it's trying to sync something? Browser isn't running, no maps, compass, FB app, etc. that I can see are running.
    07-21-13 07:56 AM
    Settings - everything except Mobile Network is turned off. Signal is good (4-5 bars). How can I tell if it's trying to sync something? Browser isn't running, no maps, compass, FB app, etc. that I can see are running.
    4-5 bars on 4g cause on I know searching for a signal uses a ton of battery. I guess try a battery pull if u haven't already, and I think all the syncing stuff they do is not mentioned to u maybe a sync went wrong. Note I can only give theories because I haven't had the issue yet and I'm fairly new to bb10 and am speaking from experience with other os'.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 08:57 AM
    1) How often do your email/calendar/contact accounts sync? The more frequent the syncing is, the more battery power is used up.
    2) Battery pull could solve the problem, though keep in mind, this is a new operating system, and should not require a battery pull anymore.
    07-21-13 09:08 AM
    I haven't had this issues yet and I am a heavy user. I am on Verizons network I am wondering if it's carrier related? Any one from verizon having this issue?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 09:11 AM
    There's another thread discussing this exact thing, and you'll find more info about it here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...y-life-825572/
    07-21-13 10:47 AM
    I haven't had this issues yet and I am a heavy user. I am on Verizons network I am wondering if it's carrier related? Any one from verizon having this issue?

Posted via CB10
    Yes I'm on Verizon and having the issue, check the threat I linked in my last post, I gave a lot of my analysis of the situation.
    07-21-13 10:48 AM
    The only time my z10 did that was when i installed 10.2.0.663. I downgraded back to 10.1 all was good again. If using official os reload it again. Could be something corrupted. If not go back to your dealer and get it exchange.

STL 100-3 os 10.1.0.4651
    07-21-13 11:43 AM
    Just a idea do a security wipe, but do a back up through link first.

Posted from my Q10 on CB10
    07-21-13 12:18 PM
    I had tried removing the battery, did not help. Finally did a wipe and all seems ok so far. Did not re-install the skype app, as I suspect this to be the problem.
    07-22-13 04:24 AM
    I had tried removing the battery, did not help. Finally did a wipe and all seems ok so far. Did not re-install the skype app, as I suspect this to be the problem.
    Skype is definitely an issue, it caused the same for me. I refuse to reinstall it
    07-22-13 07:51 AM
    Skype and kobo on my Q10 run in the background. This was confirmed with Ghost Commander. It may be an issue with other Android ports as well. Skype signed me in a couple times without me even opening the app. Gave the sound and a notification. So I have been monitoring ports because of it.
    07-22-13 08:12 AM
    I experienced also that my Q10 (used for business) got hot and the battery drained very quickly. Fully charged the battery run dry after 4-6 hours without doing anything, just lying on the table. Turned off GPS and data connection (apps haven't been installed) but nothing changed. Finally compared settings with my private Z10 and discovered that with my Q10 Push was turned on. I turned it off and am happy again with my Q10.
    10-02-13 09:03 AM
    I have been using Blackberry Bold 3 with OS 6+ for quite some time without any trouble. I bought bb q10 a few days back and had this problem of battery draining too fast and the phone heating too much at all time. I went through all these threads online and tried the following things

1. increased the sync intervals from 5 minutes to 15 minutes for my pop3 emails
    2. disabled the location settings for my device (map and compass won't work, but can put on as and when required)
    3. went to each application and wherever there were syncing options, I put those to "off" position where it is not required
    4. Logged off facebook and Skype (will log on only when really want to peep into it)
    5. Finally after doing all these, I pulled the battery out (in running phone condition) and fixed it back.

Finally I can see the my phone is not heating anymore and the battery is also not draining since this afternoon. I think it could also be a good idea to disable downloading of pictures and videos on whatsapp groups since some friends keep sending stuff that you don't really want and if you can put that on manual downloading it would be helpful.

I thank the inputs from all friends here and thought to share my experiences as well, as this could help someone. Cheers!
    11-15-13 07:06 AM
    A couple of days ago my Q10 was doing the same thing: getting warm, and running down the battery quickly.

At around this time, my home WiFi networks were getting the "limited network" warning.

I get very bad cell reception in parts of my house. I figured the Q10 was always searching for a signal and that was what was running down the battery.

I rebooted one of my wireless routers (the repeater), and the "limited network" warning went away, and so did the battery problems. I guess it was because the Q10 had a steady network connection again (even without a strong cell signal).

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 07:19 AM