Hello,

Longtime, loyal Blackberry user here and am looking for someone to persuade me to get the Q10! I'm having my doubts.....mostly due to the price of "device x" vs. the Q10. For instance: The S4 is the same amount of money and twice the phone. Being a loyal BB user, I say "I don't want that damn thing, there's no keyboard"! No seriously, I'm to the point of wondering if I should "just evolve" and get over disliking a virtual keyboard. As much as I love RIM products, even the new line is not up to par with the newest phones. Even worse, I know for sure the app support / options will never be anywhere near what Android. I can almost live with that if this device is "good".

I've been waiting on this phone to come out for months and now that it's here...well, I'm wondering if it was worth the wait. I've read tons of reviews - most mediocre, and most saying "If you don't need the keyboard, take a pass".

So, this brings me here to hopefully have someone persuade me to fall in love with the Q10 before buying it. A quick fondling in the store is not like taking it home and trying it out. Hopefully one of you who already owns one can tell me the really good. I don't have several hundred dollars to throw at the newest devices every few months. This will be my device for the next 2 years.

My heart says buy the Blackberry, my brain says go with the Galaxy S4. I've never owned a 4G smartphone so both platforms will be like new to me. I've only ever used older Blackberries. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm mostly using my phones as an organizational tool these days, but apps / internet are somewhat important.
    sir.dangerfield likes this.
    06-06-13 04:31 PM
    In a few months you will have just as many apps as on Android because of the updated android runtime.

This means that such a point is moot....... Instead of getting the S4 I would consider getting the HTC ONE.....

It is always hard to decide which phone to use for such an extended period of time.... You also need to consider what you will be mainly doing with your phone..

Too bad that I cannot really help you without knowing you.

The Q10 has amazing battery life and querty Keyboard.
    A nice OS which is getting updated constantly and evolving very quickly.

However all you need to provide us is with a list of things you do/ want to do with your phone. Then we can help you make a decision and highlight the pros and cons properly.
    wehttam likes this.
    06-06-13 04:44 PM
    Well this is just my opinion obviously, but I was hyped for the Q10 and held out waiting for it, and now that's its here, I'm thinking I should have just got the Z10. A lot of the benefits for having the keyboard aren't there, missing shortcuts, a couple bad keyboards and it just feels like the OS wasn't meant for it. Like I said, this is just my opinion.

If you want a huge phone, and for some reason need a quadcore get the S4, or the HTC One, the Q10 specs and Z10 specs are actually better than iPhones, so its not as if BB10 devices are subpar to everything in the market.
    06-06-13 04:45 PM
    I played with the S4 decided to go for the Q10. Yeh the screen is smaller but I love the keyboard and BlackBerry 10.

Toronto Maple Leafs BBM Channel C0001D318
    Blaque Berry likes this.
    06-06-13 04:50 PM
    I'd say take a look at the apps you need and see if BB10 has them. Unless you need the keyboard or are heavy into email/messaging/BBM, I'd say take a strong look at the S4 (or maybe the HTC One). Find the phone that fits your needs and then decide. Loyalty to BB(or any platform) is useless - find something that works for you.

Having said that, the Q10 is a solid device. Yes there are a few bugs, but every phone (including the Androids) will have them. BB10 is a nice OS, but both Android and iOS have a few years on it in terms of development.

Most providers allow for a trial period with the phone - why not get one, try it out and see if it works for you? If not, try out the S4.
    06-06-13 04:52 PM
    I was in your situation a week ago until I decided to purchase the Q10. I do not regret my decision at all! I'm really happy with the phone. My main concerns were the price, screen size and app availability.

1) Price: The Q10 is not a cheap phone. I agree regarding the S4 specs being much better for the same price but you have to keep in mind the following. The BB10 OS is built on top of QNX which is a lightweight system, thus the dual core CPU is enough. The Q10 has 2GB of RAM like the S4 and thats what matters when it comes to multi-tasking. Blackberry uses high quality materials for the construction of the Q10 (for example: the carbon fibre like material used for the back, and powder coated steel frame.

2) Screen size: I've realized that although the screen is much smaller than the S4 screen, it is large enough to contain a good amount of information from a web page or document. The high res display also helps in this area, as you can zoom out of the page while keeping it readable. I wish the screen was a bit brighter though. It seems to incorporate auto-dimming tech even on full brightness. The only thing that bothers me about this is that at this point, this feature cannot be turned off.

3) Apps: I realised that most apps I was using on my previous Android device are available on BB10. Skype, Whatsapp, Soundhound (released recently), Endomondo, Docs to go (included with the phone), a guitar tuner, OCR scanner and news apps.

Overall I'm really satisfied with my purchase. The OS is new and I've met with a few very very minor glitches but thankful I was unable to replicate these.

The device feels very good in my hand. The keyboard is a joy to type on. This is my first BlackBerry device ever and I have a feeling that it won't be my last.

My recommendation to you is to consider the above points and go try one out for yourself.

Regards
    spiksander
    joehack likes this.
    06-06-13 04:52 PM
    Hello,

Longtime, loyal Blackberry user here and am looking for someone to persuade me to get the Q10! I'm having my doubts.....mostly due to the price of "device x" vs. the Q10. For instance: The S4 is the same amount of money and twice the phone. Being a loyal BB user, I say "I don't want that damn thing, there's no keyboard"! No seriously, I'm to the point of wondering if I should "just evolve" and get over disliking a virtual keyboard. As much as I love RIM products, even the new line is not up to par with the newest phones. Even worse, I know for sure the app support / options will never be anywhere near what Android. I can almost live with that if this device is "good".

I've been waiting on this phone to come out for months and now that it's here...well, I'm wondering if it was worth the wait. I've read tons of reviews - most mediocre, and most saying "If you don't need the keyboard, take a pass".

So, this brings me here to hopefully have someone persuade me to fall in love with the Q10 before buying it. A quick fondling in the store is not like taking it home and trying it out. Hopefully one of you who already owns one can tell me the really good. I don't have several hundred dollars to throw at the newest devices every few months. This will be my device for the next 2 years.

My heart says buy the Blackberry, my brain says go with the Galaxy S4. I've never owned a 4G smartphone so both platforms will be like new to me. I've only ever used older Blackberries. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm mostly using my phones as an organizational tool these days, but apps / internet are somewhat important.
    S4 is plastic, feels cheap but really good screen. What you really looking for? good system? large screen? media device? If you have a laptop or tablet then why S4? if you really looking very cool OS then you do not need to think a long time, go for BB Q10 because from thr beginning Android phone with large screen looks nice and cool, many apps, many games but a long run the system becoming slow, freezing, boring! Soon you will hate android and of course S4's fragmented Samsung add ons. Do you want large screen? get iPad mini or any android tablet. Do you want phone, which has multitasking capabilities, keyboard and BBM then go for BB. It really depends whats your everyday usage.

For me iPhone 5 OS is so old and stupid (Apple mac user more then 10 years), Android is so complicated and fragmented, never matured, always problems, reminds me Windows. Those system doesn't have real multitasking features and BB 10 does, thats what I like most and then keyboard and other things.

I never go back for android, never! After BB 10, no way.
    06-06-13 05:00 PM
    well since i know BB10 phones are faster and have better web browsers than all current android phones I say go with BlackBerry. I know this as i did a head to head with two of my friends ( one has the s4 the other the htc one) my sister she was the q10 and me with the z10. the Z and Q did circles around the droids. So yes the maybe behind in specs but are light years ahead in the experience. If you top notche specs but a sub par experience go droid if you want an excellent experience go BlackBerry.
    06-06-13 05:02 PM
    Well the app situation won't really matter with 10.2, if they ever release it in America lol... You'll have Android 4.2.2 runtime.
    06-06-13 05:03 PM
    I have the q10 being delivered tomorrow and returning the s4 on Saturday. Just wasn't impressed. Seemed laggy to me. Build was ok but not great, screen was nice but not great, typing on it was sub par in my opinion. At least this way I will have a great keyboard to go with a nice screen on a well built phone.
    freedomx20a likes this.
    06-06-13 05:38 PM
    I have the q10 being delivered tomorrow and returning the s4 on Saturday. Just wasn't impressed. Seemed laggy to me. Build was ok but not great, screen was nice but not great, typing on it was sub par in my opinion. At least this way I will have a great keyboard to go with a nice screen on a well built phone.
    Should have tried the HTC One.... ;-)

I still don't understand the hype about the S4.....

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 05:46 PM
    Well, the choice will be based upon your priorities! Ask yourself what you need the phone to be able to do. For instance, if you wish to have multimedia, youtube, watching movies, playing games etc larger screen is required for best results - ideally. You can try the Z10 if that's the case, it's a sweet device, perfect size (best virtual keyboard you'll ever come across)

I own a Z10 and will be soon getting a Q10... smaller screen doesn't affect me much, once i can get my emails, bbm and the few apps i use are on BB10 or coming soon! I've been a long time user of 9900 and the keyboard is amazing on that device, the screen size back then was enough for me to do what i needed it to! checking the weather before flying, maps, radar etc worked very well. Q10 looks sleek and traditional BBRY with a twist - QNX, android support etc. Battery life from what i hear is amazing and that is important to me (more than a huge screen) it's practical and does what I will need it to do!

I also own a Note, Android isn't the OS for me, it's a great device, but I love my BBRY - always been my primary device, nothing against the other devices, its just business.
    06-06-13 05:49 PM
    In a few months you will have just as many apps as on Android because of the updated android runtime.

This means that such a point is moot....... Instead of getting the S4 I would consider getting the HTC ONE.....

It is always hard to decide which phone to use for such an extended period of time.... You also need to consider what you will be mainly doing with your phone..

Too bad that I cannot really help you without knowing you.

The Q10 has amazing battery life and querty Keyboard.
    A nice OS which is getting updated constantly and evolving very quickly.

However all you need to provide us is with a list of things you do/ want to do with your phone. Then we can help you make a decision and highlight the pros and cons properly.
    Hey guys, thank you all for the responses. In just a short time, I'm now third-guessing myself with the HTC One addition! Nonetheless, I sincerely appreciate you guys taking the time. I'm really stumped on which device to buy! Again, my heart says the Q10 - I just dunno if I'm making the right decision.

To be truthful with you all, I really do not know what I want out of a smart phone. I've done really well at keeping myself off of the addicting devices like iPhones or the high-end touch screens. My smart phones have always been Blackberries. Data usage mostly consists of minor trysts on the internet. I know if I get something like the Galaxy, I'm going to be in for an experience. Some of the games are just as nice as PC games....

Okay, so here's a basic rundown of what I would like to gain out of my new phone.

1. An organizational device. I want this phone to operate my life so to speak. Calendar, events, planner, etc. I want to have an excellent organizational device to refrain from forgetting. This, by far, is most important to me. It would be even better to know that RIM would be around for my next upgrade. Transferring all of the data that I enter in to this device is on my mind. I want the next phone to be a painless transfer.

2. Email capability - My past BB's have been communication workhorses. I want this in my next phone.

3. Camera / Video - Somewhat important.

4. Internet browsing and maybe some remote stock trades.

5. Music playback

6. Speed - I realize this is a non-issue. All newer devices are fast.
    Beyond that, anything else is a bonus. I'm not very used to any of the apps. As I said in my original post, I've never really had a high-end smart phone. Whatever I end up going with will be a learning experience. The games that the S4 can run look cool, but I don't plan on gaming 12 hours / day on my phone.

Q10 - What I like about the q10 (without having used it) are A. It's size. B. The Qwerty KB
    It's unfortunate that the price is on point with the higher-end devices. IMHO, it should be around the 100.00 range with contract. Maybe I'm mistaken.

The Q10 IS the phone I want. I've been waiting on a phone like this for some time. I don't mind the archaic look, learning a new OS, or even lack of app support. It's just there seems to be better out there....much better.

I'm just not sure that I couldn't end up with a better device for the same amount of money. That's my predicament...
    06-06-13 05:51 PM
    Q10 straight away

Posted via CB10
    06-06-13 05:53 PM
    In some cases, bigger doesn't always mean better. having quad core processing, more ram than my laptop lol. I mean, it's down to the OS and the core of the device. Having a good OS is key (to me). I mean for instance, the Note and Note 2 are powerful devices, especially the latter and they both lag under usage / customization. This should not be, for the amount of power it has behind it. But that just shows, you're only as good as your weakest link --> bottle-necking!

BBOS was stable and secure and i've stuck with it. BB10 is new and they are ironing out the kinks on a priority basis and such updates will be coming out for what they deem relevant for the time. Once this is accomplished i'm sure they will concentrate on the little nit picks everyone has (Big picture to little picture).
    06-06-13 05:57 PM
    I have only one piece of advice.
    If you do decide to go with the Q10 be patient . You may not like it the first few hours but once you get used to the Interface it will start growing in you by the hour... Show it love and it will show love back !
    06-06-13 06:01 PM
    S4 is plastic, feels cheap but really good screen. What you really looking for? good system? large screen? media device? If you have a laptop or tablet then why S4? if you really looking very cool OS then you do not need to think a long time, go for BB Q10 because from thr beginning Android phone with large screen looks nice and cool, many apps, many games but a long run the system becoming slow, freezing, boring! Soon you will hate android and of course S4's fragmented Samsung add ons. Do you want large screen? get iPad mini or any android tablet. Do you want phone, which has multitasking capabilities, keyboard and BBM then go for BB. It really depends whats your everyday usage.

For me iPhone 5 OS is so old and stupid (Apple mac user more then 10 years), Android is so complicated and fragmented, never matured, always problems, reminds me Windows. Those system doesn't have real multitasking features and BB 10 does, thats what I like most and then keyboard and other things.

I never go back for android, never! After BB 10, no way.
    I would consider any phone that can have two apps on the screen at one time to be true multitasking devices (the S4 and the Note II).
    06-06-13 06:18 PM
    Hello,

I have the Z10. My brother recently bought the S4 and I tried it but did not like the virtual keyboard. The KB cannot compare to even the Z10 as the feel, layout of the KB along the accuracy of the predictive text is subpar. My brother's comments include:
    1. Not happy with the battery life. The S4 needs recharging every 6 to 7 hours
    2. The air swip is very finicky.....sometimes work, sometimes not. Says its a waste of time....you need to move the palm of your hand 5 inches to change the page. It would be fustrating when you air swip and the page doesn't move
    3.. There is still some lag in the OS even with a quad core CPU.
    4. High learning curve
    5. The eye sensing feature is a gimmick and does not work properly

In summary, my brother doesn't use the eye sensing feature and the air swipe at all. He says that it is a glorified S3. The BB phone whether Q10 or Z10 is a much better communication device. The timeshift feature and the video chat with screen sharing is very handy. Apps wise, its growing everyday. I downloaded SoundHound and its great!
    06-06-13 06:22 PM
    I would get the q10 if I need or want a keyboard. The s4 trumps Os 10 when it comes to everything else such as camera, business/entertainment apps, customization, notifications,etc. if you want a great onscreen keyboard I would suggest you download swiftkey.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    06-06-13 06:35 PM
    I have the S4...nice large screen.

And the good things end there. I hate the size overall. Maybe its the cover that I have on it but it's just too much for me to carry around every day. The browser tabs are horrible. It's pathetic actually when I compare it to the Z10. Z10 keyboard is better too. It's acually slower than the Z10 when it comes down to multi tasking.

Sorry I can't compare it to the Q10 as I never played with one.
    06-06-13 06:38 PM
    Hey guys, thank you all for the responses. In just a short time, I'm now third-guessing myself with the HTC One addition! Nonetheless, I sincerely appreciate you guys taking the time. I'm really stumped on which device to buy! Again, my heart says the Q10 - I just dunno if I'm making the right decision.

To be truthful with you all, I really do not know what I want out of a smart phone. I've done really well at keeping myself off of the addicting devices like iPhones or the high-end touch screens. My smart phones have always been Blackberries. Data usage mostly consists of minor trysts on the internet. I know if I get something like the Galaxy, I'm going to be in for an experience. Some of the games are just as nice as PC games....

Okay, so here's a basic rundown of what I would like to gain out of my new phone.

1. An organizational device. I want this phone to operate my life so to speak. Calendar, events, planner, etc. I want to have an excellent organizational device to refrain from forgetting. This, by far, is most important to me. It would be even better to know that RIM would be around for my next upgrade. Transferring all of the data that I enter in to this device is on my mind. I want the next phone to be a painless transfer.

2. Email capability - My past BB's have been communication workhorses. I want this in my next phone.

3. Camera / Video - Somewhat important.

4. Internet browsing and maybe some remote stock trades.

5. Music playback

6. Speed - I realize this is a non-issue. All newer devices are fast.
    Beyond that, anything else is a bonus. I'm not very used to any of the apps. As I said in my original post, I've never really had a high-end smart phone. Whatever I end up going with will be a learning experience. The games that the S4 can run look cool, but I don't plan on gaming 12 hours / day on my phone.

Q10 - What I like about the q10 (without having used it) are A. It's size. B. The Qwerty KB
    It's unfortunate that the price is on point with the higher-end devices. IMHO, it should be around the 100.00 range with contract. Maybe I'm mistaken.

The Q10 IS the phone I want. I've been waiting on a phone like this for some time. I don't mind the archaic look, learning a new OS, or even lack of app support. It's just there seems to be better out there....much better.

I'm just not sure that I couldn't end up with a better device for the same amount of money. That's my predicament...
    Without a shadow of doubt -Try the HTC One. Its an Incredible phone. I own it, in stealth black and its so beautiful. For music playback especially boom sound and beats audio kills it. The screen is gorgeous. For me, right now its the 2013 device of the year.
    Forgot to add, Sense five is super smooth and if you like customizing your phone, you are in for a real treat!
    9700/9900/PB 32gb wifi and now................HTC One
    Last edited by blackberrykeeper; 06-06-13 at 06:53 PM.
    06-06-13 06:40 PM
    My 2 cents are as follows: Get the Q10 and don't look back. Like Cap above, I agree that the BB devices: started smartphones before anyone knew what a smartphone was; have forgotten more about smartphones and workhorse OS's than all the rest together; are the only device you will ever want to send and receive massive emails and texts (I do over 100 a day and I challenge you to do that on an iPhone); organize better than any other smartphone device out there, and are built for busy people on the go! Sounds a little arrogant doesn't it? But honestly, I don't mean it that way. What you state you want in a smartphone, is exactly what you will get with a Q10/Z10/or any 7.1 (and below) BB out there. Until the Q and Z10's the single best phone made was either the Torch 9810's or the 9900/30 series Blackberry's. You will find the same experience with a Q10. That said, if your really in fact want to take pictures, look at videos, spend countless hours on FB or Twitter or any of the other social sites, then by all means get an Android or iOS phone. I will give credit where credit is due--by far the two very best applications out in the cyber world are from Apple and they are Siri and Facetime. That aside, BB can't be beat for business and organization, and now, just about everything else. Good luck and don't listen to any of us--buy what your gut tells you to buy-LOL!
    06-06-13 06:44 PM
    I have the same problem as you, i ruled out the HTC One because it doesnt have a removable battery and expandable memory card slot, it is a nice phone with built in features like the IR sensor which i wished the BB had something like that

im beginning to rule out the S4 because it does sound laggy with a bunch of features, the BB fits to someone who wants to be organized, multitask and be productive with their phones
    mpjheating and chazk like this.
    06-06-13 06:52 PM
    Two totally different SP's...If you want all touch and a big screen don't buy the S4, wait for the A10. If you want something now, get the Z10, it is great...I love mine (came over from iPhone 4).

The Q10 is just like the Z10 but with physical keyboard, smaller screen and larger capacity battery (13.5 hours of talktime WHAT?!!)

If you type a lot, long emails and such on the go...then Q10 is probably for you...If not get Z10 or A10..

The A10 is gonna be a beast...I am getting it when it comes out.

Best of luck to you
    06-06-13 06:54 PM
    Make use of your carrier's 30 days to try the Q10. You'll have to eat a restocking fee, but if you want to be as sure as possible that it's the right phone for you for the next 2 years, why wouldn't you? Can't really understand people who don't take advantage of this.
    robert_in_la likes this.
    06-06-13 07:00 PM
65 123