Wow, great video. Didn't even know it was that easy to edit on the q10. Great for those missing the track pad!

The classic is still necessary though bc some also prefer having the send and end keys in the belt.

This does make the track pad a moot point though in my opinion. Should definitely be shown off in the thread about the BlackBerry classic.

Posted via CB10
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-24-14 09:35 AM
    I sincerely hope you aren't terribly disappointed by this abrupt end.
    A little disappointed, yes ... but only because your experiments with the Bold & Q10 have been such a great read; well-balanced, accurate & honest reviews.
    Many thanks for sticking with the keyboard device experiments as long as you did, it's clear from all the feedback that you're receiving that the CrackBerry community really appreciate all your efforts. Enjoy your Z30 - you've really earned it!
    Ragbert and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-24-14 10:45 AM
    Really that kind of sucks but ok I love my Q10

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 08:15 PM
    OK so this is interesting, went back to the Z30 on Saturday and then realized how much I enjoyed the keyboard on my Q10. I also enjoy the usability and the size on the Q10 for typing using one hand. It's amazing how quickly I became attached to this Q10.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 08:36 PM
    Many thanks to you Newfangled. I found your Bold 9900 and the Q10 experiences very interesting and informative. I had originally intended to stick with my Z10 and Bold990 and wait for the Q20/Q30. But your glowing reports for the Q10 really piqued my interest and I ended up buying one on Ebay. So it's faintly ironic that you concluded your trial early and returned to the Z30.

For my part I'm delighted with my new purchase but sadly it will probably mean that my Bold 9900 will now be consigned to the Drawer of Neglect...
    05-27-14 12:01 PM
    Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 12:06 PM
    Be interesting to hear if after returning back to your Z30 if you found you actually missed the physical keyboard like I did on the Q10. Yes the screen size of the Z30 is great but I found for all the typing and emails. The Q10 was much more user friendly. Don't get me wrong the Z30 has the best virtual keyboard but nothing beats the Q10 physical keyboard for pounding out email and texts.

Posted Via my ? Q10 ?
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-27-14 06:55 PM
    Be interesting to hear if after returning back to your Z30 if you found you actually missed the physical keyboard like I did on the Q10. Yes the screen size of the Z30 is great but I found for all the typing and emails. The Q10 was much more user friendly. Don't get me wrong the Z30 has the best virtual keyboard but nothing beats the Q10 physical keyboard for pounding out email and texts.

Posted Via my ? Q10 ?
    I am in the same dilemma. I bought a Q10, used it for over two weeks. Switched over to my Z10 for the screen size and LCD display. I really miss the keyboard of the Q10. Not sure what to do now. Guess just keep both phones and switch when the need arises.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    05-27-14 11:33 PM
    I am in the same dilemma. I bought a Q10, used it for over two weeks. Switched over to my Z10 for the screen size and LCD display. I really miss the keyboard of the Q10. Not sure what to do now. Guess just keep both phones and switch when the need arises.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    Welcome to the switching club

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 06:52 AM
    I for one, would like to see you continuing to write for this site. Maybe if we sign a petition to have you join CB's staff? At least the writing/blogging creds would get you noticed by others who might even pay you for your services..
    05-28-14 01:21 PM
    I for one, would like to see you continuing to write for this site. Maybe if we sign a petition to have you join CB's staff? At least the writing/blogging creds would get you noticed by others who might even pay you for your services..
    Thanks! I've actually emailed Kevin a couple times letting him know I'm ready to contribute. I linked him to these threads and my videos. No response yet. It's probably a long shot, but why not try?

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    05-28-14 01:45 PM
    Thanks! I've actually emailed Kevin a couple times letting him know I'm ready to contribute. I linked him to these threads and my videos. No response yet. It's probably a long shot, but why not try?

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    Thats a great idea. You can count on my vote/on me!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    05-28-14 01:53 PM
    Hear, hear! :-)

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-28-14 02:04 PM
    Great review!
    Thanks for spending the time doing it.
    Your writing skills are very good, which gives the reader comfort and ease.
    Keep doing what you're doing.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    05-28-14 02:16 PM

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    Same boat here. Love the Z10's screen size and display, but always was a devoted user of BB for their physical keyboard, so picked up a Q10 as well. Just never know which to use, so I switch off once in awhile. Of course, when I'm using the Z, I can't wait to get back to the Q's keyboard, but when on the Q, feel a bit frustrated with the screen-estate.
    05-28-14 03:49 PM
    Same boat here. Love the Z10's screen size and display, but always was a devoted user of BB for their physical keyboard, so picked up a Q10 as well. Just never know which to use, so I switch off once in awhile. Of course, when I'm using the Z, I can't wait to get back to the Q's keyboard, but when on the Q, feel a bit frustrated with the screen-estate.
    The shortcuts on the Q10 is addictive too. I would be on my Z10 and try to do shortcuts. Maybe I will just carry the Z10 as a mini tablet?

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    05-30-14 01:19 PM
    Great work Newfangled, many thanks! You've made it look easy and have almost convinced me to jump to the Q10 - looking forward to the remaining instalments of this experiment
    Well I finally 'bit the bullet' and bought a used 2-week old Q10. I know that my Bold 9900 trackpad/toolbelt is going to be sorely missed at the beginning, but I really couldn't wait any longer to get to grips with BB10. I suspect that it will be many more months before I can justify buying the Classic (arguably the more obvious replacement for a trackpad diehard); the Classic will almost certainly be pitched as a premium device with a premium price. So here we go with the Q10 .......
    06-30-14 08:09 AM
    This is awesome... So helpful. I'm really looking into getting a Q10 soon.. After 12 yrs with Sprint my contract ends on the 30th of this month and after having service connectivity issues with my legacy BB device I'm ready to make a change to a new phone and new service provider.. I've been using an iphone 4 as my backup and I'm so excited to jump back into the world of qwerty.
    07-01-14 01:22 PM
    Well I finally 'bit the bullet' and bought a used 2-week old Q10 ...
    So after an extended period of familiarising myself with BB10 (via WiFi only), I have today activated a new microSIM and the Q10 is now up and running as my principle device. I'm going to try and give the Q10 and a one-month workout before deciding whether it will replace my trustee Bold 9900 and become my #1 device. Hopefully Newfangled (the OP) will not object to me extending this thread by adding occasional notes & thoughts. There's a lot of expertise on CrackBerry and I suspect you guys can save me an awful lot of thumb work as I make the 9900 to Q10 transition.

Early thoughts ...

The missing toolbelt ... a leap of faith
    This is undoubtably my biggest reservation about switching fro the 9900. Messaging is my main reason for having a BlackBerry and I know that I'm really going to miss the trackpad, however I am prepared to give the touch interface a good run. There has already some very good guidance on this thread to help with the touch-editing, and this has helped me take the leap e.g. #70, #75

The screen
    Personally, I don't find the Q10 as easy to read (as the 9900) in bright sunshine. There's been an awful lot of heated discussion about this on CrackBerry (and elsewhere) explaining the pros & cons of super AMOLED vs LCD
    so there's really no point in going over old ground, but for me (perhaps mostly because of my ageing eyes) the 9900 is easier to read in bright sunshine. I have the same problem with my PlayBook. It's my opinion that auto-brightness should be off (by default) on both of these devices and an option available for the user to select. Others will (and do) feel differently.
    It's summer in the UK, and we don't normally get too many hours of extended sunshine, so it's not going to the deal-breaker!

Ring tones, alarms & notification sounds
    There seems a very limited set of sounds/tones compared to my 9900, and I'd really like to transfer some of my favourite (OS7) sounds across to my Q10. Does anybody know how to do that?

LED colour notifications & SMS popups
    I used Bellshares BeBuzz to personalise LED colours on my 9900; SMS, Emails, and phone-call notifications. I also used Advance OS & LED to produce SMS pop-ups, which I really liked because it made use of contact images so that you quickly see who had sent you an SMS text, and read the message, without doing anything else. I'd welcome app recommendations to achieve similar on the Q10
    07-22-14 09:25 AM
    Hopefully Newfangled (the OP) will not object to me extending this thread by adding occasional notes & thoughts.
    By all means, take the reigns and run with it!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    07-22-14 06:50 PM
    Thats a great idea. You can count on my vote/on me!!

Posted via Q10Bold
    You can count on my vote too!! I immensely enjoyed both of the threads/experiences with the Bold and Q10 experiments. I personally have the Q10, Z10 and Z30 and find myself gravitating back to the physical keyboard of the Q10. However, and this is just my personal opinion, the keyboard of the 9900 was THE best!

Thanks for your efforts and good luck!!
    07-23-14 05:51 PM
    You can count on my vote too!! I immensely enjoyed both of the threads/experiences with the Bold and Q10 experiments. I personally have the Q10, Z10 and Z30 and find myself gravitating back to the physical keyboard of the Q10. However, and this is just my personal opinion, the keyboard of the 9900 was THE best!

Thanks for your efforts and good luck!!
    I'm loving typing on my Q10 but I concur that the 9900 kb was the best.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 06:06 PM
    Awesome first post mushroom daddy, i like how you included threads.

You can find some more ringtones here!

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...0/td-p/2222163

Posted via CB10 Right on Cue
    07-23-14 08:10 PM
    I'm going to try and give the Q10 and a one-month workout before deciding whether it will replace my trustee Bold 9900 ...
    Some thoughts following day 2 as a Q10 user ...

So far I'm enjoying the Q10 experience, and most of my niggles are simply due to a lack of familiarity with BB10; I regularly have to stop and think how to do something that was routine and instant on my Bold 9900.

Improved battery life
    I do miss dropping my Bold into it's charger cradle while working at my desk, I loved the easy to see, always on (while charging), digital flip clock display. The Q10 digital clock is a little more modest than that of the 9900. I haven't worked out yet whether it's possible to get the clock on as a default while charging the Q10.
    On the other hand, the need to have the Q10 sat on charge during the day is greatly reduced as battery life is so much better than my 9900; that's a really big plus for the Q10!

Keyboard & fancy characters
    Great for typing, arguably even better than the 9900 (or perhaps not - see #146 & #147 above).
    There is some disparity in the placement of symbol / special characters between the 9900 and Q10, which need's getting used to e.g. I was pretty adept at hitting sym> L to get &. With the Q10 that is now under sym> J. It could be argued that some of the new locations are more intuitive e.g. sym> ( or sym> ) will give you [ and ] respectively, on the 9900 you needed to hit sym> Q or A; I'm happy to go with the necessary adjustment to memory muscle.

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10_symbols_20140723.jpg

On the 9900 it was possible to assign local currency symbol to the $ key (e.g. � here in the UK), on the Q10 you need to hit sym> C; that's more key-presses and something of step backwards.

Editing
    As expected I'm struggling with text editing on the touch screen, cut & paste of small bits of text is definitely taking me much longer on the Q10. I frequently have difficulty pasting text from the magnifying glass. I understand what you should do but occasionally the paste icon refuses to appear, and sometimes the magnifier ring refuses to move. I have observed this while writing/editing in Evernote, with Docs to Go and with the Hub Email client. Hopefully my accuracy will improve with time. What I need to get to grips with over the coming days is whether there are Q10 keyboard shortcuts that will speed things up.

Too hot to handle
    The back cover seems to get very warm when I'm working the device, not so hot as to concern me, but there is a significant and notable level of heat emanating from the battery cover - I'd be keen to know if that's 'normal' with the Q10.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 07-25-14 at 03:05 AM.
    07-24-14 03:32 AM
    The back cover seems to get very warm when I'm working the device, not so hot as to concern me, but there is a significant and notable level of heat emanating from the battery cover - I'd be keen to know if that's 'normal' with the Q10.
    Addendum(s)
    It look�s as though other Q10 users have reported similar battery heating problems. I would add that, as yet, I don�t associate the warmth with any rapid loss of power.

My Q10 is hot quite often?
    Does your Q10 get warm quickly?
    Q10 gets real warm and the battery drains quickly
    Q10 Battery gets hot when data is switched on

I would also add that this has been most noticeable while working the Q10 on my train commute. In addition to drafting posts with Evernote etc., the Q10 internal radios may have been working hard to maintain signals during the train travel
    07-24-14 04:09 AM
169 ... 4567