Good luck. Bought mine off Ebay for $218 in mint condition. Had it for a week and loving it.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    Nice. Thanks. Here in Oz, cheapest I've seen in around $250.
    05-17-14 08:10 PM
    The Q10 Experiment: Day 11 - Scratched Screen

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-100_4808.jpg

I managed to scratch the screen on my Q10 yesterday and I have no idea how. The only thing I can think of was that I was trying to clean some fingerprints off by gently wiping the screen on my pant leg, and there must have been a microscopic spec of dirt or something on my pants that caused the scratch.

It's a very small scratch - you can't even see it unless you're viewing it at just the right angle - and it doesn't impede or negatively affect the image quality or operation of the phone in any way. I couldn't even get a good photo of it for this post. But it's been bugging me.

It's admittedly very foolish of me to clean the screens of my phones in this manner, but this is what I have usually done with my phones - including my Z30 and Bold 9930 - and the Q10 is the first of them to actually have been scratched from it. I've learned my lesson and will use only a microfiber cloth from now on. And I'm seriously considering using screen protectors on my devices now (although I can't stand them or any type of case on my phones).

I tried to find out exactly what material the Q10 screen is made of, but wasn't able to find any conclusive information. But the only conclusion I can reach is that it's not as durable as Corning Gorilla Glass or similar materials.

So now, I'm trying to find a good way to make the scratch disappear. I've read that cleaning the screen with hand sanitizer will - over time - cause the scratch to disappear as it is filled in. I've also read that putting a nice screen protector on it will get rid of scratches.

Any suggestions? This has been bugging me so much I can't think of anything else to blog about right now!
    vanrickman likes this.
    05-19-14 06:40 PM
    I'm very particular when it comes to my screens and protectors.

I like the non glare protectors from Amazon even though they scratch e easy, but can't remember the brand.

The best protector Imo is the real glass ones, but I have only had one on my Galaxy Note 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    05-19-14 07:17 PM
    That's an unfortunate event for some, been there done that....I've gone as far as changing the whole screen because of a scratch.....oh well but that's just me, I learned my lesson and always install a screen protector from day one. Usually one with an oleophobic coating with great results so far, self correcting scratch features, hd-clear among others, if I'm not mistaken the Q10 is currently using the 'Tech Armor' one......

Via Q10 @ CB10
    05-19-14 08:26 PM
    The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-img_20140520_075139.jpg q10 screen is rather small, and one cotton disk cleans it quickly and efficiently.
    05-19-14 10:52 PM
    Also the easy way to scratch the screen is to carry something in the same pocket with BB. Could be anything, a coin, a plastic ID card, a button, you name it. It's better to make sure BB is always inside an empty pocket (excuse the oxymoron).
    iRetired and anon(6038817) like this.
    05-19-14 11:00 PM
    Better use a cristal clear screen protector, thin!
    It barely (if ever) affects the sensitivity of the touchscreen (contrary to antireflective that are a bit thicker).
    Gorilla glass or not, fine sand particules scratch the synthetic glass like a diamond!
    I use a thin crystal clear screen protector that adapts to the Q10 and is pre-cut so the speakers, infra-red points/sensors left of it and the camera right of it are "free". The LED is covered by the protector and it is good so, since when I used an original flipcase with a plastic element above the LED so you see it flash when notified, this plastic "transparent button" left minimal circular scratches on the protector... I was glad I had it on, it would have damaged my Q10's screen for sure!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    05-20-14 01:23 AM
    I bought a 10-pack of Terrapin� Screen Protectors for my BlackBerry Bold 9900, and I'm still on the first one! If fitted carefully (which is time-consuming and something of an art), it is possible to have these barely visible, and I have not noticed any ill-effect on the touchscreen sensitivity.
    Like many, I'd rather not bother fitting screen protectors, but your recent experience shows just how easy it is to scratch a screen - that would irritate me endlessly. In the light of your experience it looks as though there will be a need to do the same if I move to the Q10.
    05-20-14 04:34 AM
    I have a case but no screen protector (yet) on my Q10. So far I've been careful about tossing the phone into a pocket without first checking to make sure the pocket is empty. Usually I first put the phone into a small padded pouch I already had (originally meant for a very small camera) which zips and keeps the phone from slipping out. But it takes a few extra seconds to get at it if it rings while I'm out & about.

Breaking the habit of using my clothes to wipe the screen has been tough. It's not like I use gritty gardening jeans, but without thinking, I might use a scarf, a teeshirt, etc to quickly defog a lens or screen if I don't have a microfibre cloth handy. It's careless, I know, and I've been lucky so far. Microfibre cloths have to be cleaned too - they hold *everything* and a dirty microfibre cloth can be more harmful than a clean tee. There are no perfect solutions, unfortunately. I hope you find a way to both minimise your scratch and protect the screen.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-20-14 12:18 PM
    Good luck. Bought mine off Ebay for $218 in mint condition. Had it for a week and loving it.

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    Grrr . . last week I lost out on a mint Q to someone who bid $218 . . ;-)

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    05-20-14 09:09 PM

:-D

05-21-14 12:28 AM
    Attachment 271123

My cat, Oreo, likes the Q10, too!

(This is not a staged photo. I set my Q10 on the bed this morning while I was getting ready for work and I found her like this.)

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    ROFL another great write up. Why can't BB hire people like you? Your detail and the way you convey your experience is superb.

BTW: We had a B/W cat named Oreo. My wife is a cat lover with 4 cats.
    05-21-14 06:05 AM
    The Q10 Experiment: Day 11 - Scratched Screen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_4808.jpg 
Views:	1699 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	272028

I managed to scratch the screen on my Q10 yesterday and I have no idea how. The only thing I can think of was that I was trying to clean some fingerprints off by gently wiping the screen on my pant leg, and there must have been a microscopic spec of dirt or something on my pants that caused the scratch.

It's a very small scratch - you can't even see it unless you're viewing it at just the right angle - and it doesn't impede or negatively affect the image quality or operation of the phone in any way. I couldn't even get a good photo of it for this post. But it's been bugging me.

It's admittedly very foolish of me to clean the screens of my phones in this manner, but this is what I have usually done with my phones - including my Z30 and Bold 9930 - and the Q10 is the first of them to actually have been scratched from it. I've learned my lesson and will use only a microfiber cloth from now on. And I'm seriously considering using screen protectors on my devices now (although I can't stand them or any type of case on my phones).

I tried to find out exactly what material the Q10 screen is made of, but wasn't able to find any conclusive information. But the only conclusion I can reach is that it's not as durable as Corning Gorilla Glass or similar materials.

So now, I'm trying to find a good way to make the scratch disappear. I've read that cleaning the screen with hand sanitizer will - over time - cause the scratch to disappear as it is filled in. I've also read that putting a nice screen protector on it will get rid of scratches.

Any suggestions? This has been bugging me so much I can't think of anything else to blog about right now!
    I can't stand the screen protectors or cases either. After my keyboard went out on my 9900 I did a R&R but messed up the main board micro connection. I used this damaged 9900 to experiment with replacing various parts. After taking it apart several times I now know why the BB phones are expensive. The engineering and quality parts are superior. Replacing the glass on a 9900 is fairly easy, I would think the construction be basically the same on a Q10. Go to You Tube and check it out.

BTW: about a month ago someone in the Q10 forum bought a bushed trim from Amazon for his Q10. It brought back that "classic" Bold look.
    05-21-14 06:47 AM

LOL! The phone works great and is truly in mint condition :-).

Sent from my Q10 or Z10.
    05-21-14 08:48 AM

............BTW: about a month ago someone in the Q10 forum bought a bushed trim from Amazon for his Q10. It brought back that "classic" Bold look.
    Here your metal bezel
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...nL._SY180_.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10-20bezel.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 05-21-14 at 11:40 AM.
    05-21-14 11:20 AM
    Screen protector wise, after recommendations from the Q10ers in this land I have gone for the 'Tempered glass screen protector ' have to say, its Great! Silky smooth, Easy to fit and not at all intrusive! To top it off, it cost less than �5!
    I'd lasted just short of a Year on the std protector that shipped on the phone by cutting off the peel tag, when I removed the old one I realised How scratched it had got!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 11:49 AM
    Good idea temper glass protector less than $12;
    Keyboard, Glass and Metal Bezel also shown
    Attached Thumbnails The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10-20keyboard.jpg   The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10-20temp-20glass-20protector.jpg   The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-q10glass.jpg  
    05-21-14 12:30 PM
    The Q10 Experiment: Day 13 - Apps, Part 2

In addition to a growing library of native apps, available for download via BlackBerry World, BB10 devices have been able to run Android apps from the beginning.

In earlier versions of the OS, Android apps had to be side-loaded. Most enthusiasts didn't mind the side-loading process, but for the average person, it wasn't an appealing prospect. Also, many Android apps would not run properly or run at all.

BB10 version 10.2.1 - now available on all BB10 devices - brought with it significant enhancements to the Android runtime. Android apps no longer need to be side-loaded. Simply download the APK file and tap it to install it. Android app performance has also significantly improved with this update. According to a recent statement by BlackBerry CEO John Chen, 98% of Android apps now run on BB10 phones. This is an impressive achievement, to say the least. It has greatly enhanced the versatility and usefulness of BlackBerry devices.

I have installed the Amazon Appstore on my Q10, and with it, several Android apps. I listed many of them in my Day 1 post.

One of my biggest concerns with the Q10 was how apps would look and function on its 1:1 aspect ratio screen, since it is not common. With a few exceptions, native and Android apps seem to run fine on the Q10.

Here are the exceptions I've found:

Candy Crush (at least the version in the Amazon Appstore) is one game that I have not been able to run on the Q10. It crashes to the Active Frames screen after trying to load for a bit. I'm guessing it doesn't like the 1:1 aspect ratio of the Q10, as it runs just fine on my Z30.

Another disappointment I've run into is with the Apollo app, a Pandora client.
    The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-img_20140517_080543.png
    It's a native BB10 app, but has not been optimized for the Q10, so there is no way to access the touch screen play controls that allow you to pause, skip, and vote on tracks. Thankfully, the official Pandora app from the Amazon Appstore works fine.

One more app I've tried that the Q10 doesn't like is the LDS Hymns app (Amazon Appstore).
    The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-img_20140521_213430.png
    It hasn't been optimized for 1:1 screens either, because I am unable to access the necessary options to complete initial setup, as they extend below the screens viewable area and there is no ability to scroll down.

The Weather Channel app (BlackBerry World) is an Android port that works well, except the map is practically unusable on the Q10:
    The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-img_20140521_213714.png

Despite little issues like this, I find the app experience on the Q10 to be surprisingly good - much better than I expected. The vast majority of apps run very well, and some of the native apps even make use of the Q10's keyboard for easier navigation and shortcuts.

I think the overall app experience is better on the Z30, simply because it's screen won't have any aspect ratio problems. But compared to the Bold 9930, there's no question the Q10 provides a far superior app experience.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Last edited by Newfangled; 05-21-14 at 11:12 PM.
    05-21-14 10:42 PM
    The Q10 Experiment: Day 15 - I Miss My Z30, And Other Reasons Why I'm Ending This Experiment Early

The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-100_4796.jpg

I've been using a BlackBerry with a physical keyboard for 45 days now (30 days with the Bold 9930, 15 with the Q10), and it's been a great experience for me because it has helped me understand their lasting appeal among their fiercely loyal fans. The versatility and sheer speed in communication and OS navigation of these extraordinary devices has no equal. I can understand why so many have said they will own a physical QWERTY BlackBerry forever (or as long as the mobile networks will support them).

I often say that my ideal smartphone does not yet exist. The norm today for many people is to have a smartphone, tablet, and laptop/desktop in their technological arsenal. 3 separate devices - oftentimes from 3 different manufacturers with different app and OS ecosystems - that help them get things done.

I want a device that will reduce that trio to a duo - or even a solo. A device that can be used like a smartphone on the go, but also dock with a portable keyboard to have laptop functionality, and even the ability to also dock with a full-size keyboard, mouse, and monitor and drive a full desktop experience.

I've realized over the course of these experiments that I miss my Z30. I really miss it.

As much as I appreciate the physical keyboard and the overall look/feel of the Q10, I miss the large screen, battery life, and processing power of my Z30 even more.

And I think, after 2 weeks of exclusive use of the Q10, I have a good enough grasp of this device to know that.

Have I mastered the device? Absolutely not. There are so many keyboard shortcuts I haven't learned and it would take me at least another month or two to internalize them all. But this, for me, would be ultimately pointless. When it comes right down to it, the Z30 may not be my perfectly ideal device, but I know now that it is closer to my ideal than the Q10.

Other driving factors for me ending this Q10 Experiment early are that my life is getting a bit hectic, lately. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to write, blog, and make videos about tech for a living. I have much to learn about being a good writer and producing content that people are interested in, but I think I would truly enjoy that and be able to help people understand more about the technology around them.

In addition, other things are catching my interest, and I simply don't have the time or patience I would like to devote to blogging about this particular subject on as regular a basis as my Bold Experiment.

I would like to continue to make tech-related videos, though. I've really enjoyed that.

Conclusions

All that to say (and thank you for reading this entire jumbled post up to this point), here are my 3 main conclusions about the Q10:

Given the choice between a Bold 9930 and a Q10, I would choose a Q10. It's newer. It's faster. It has better app selection (especially with the ability to run Android apps). It has HDMI out, a bigger screen, a MUCH better camera, LTE, and more. It continues to get OS updates that bring enhancements and better functionality. It's just a better all-around device.

A touch screen is no substitute for a trackpad and physical buttons. It's getting closer (the hold-shift-and-swipe-to-select-text feature is AWESOME), but it's just not the same. Obviously, BlackBerry agrees, as they are bringing back the trackpad with the upcoming Classic handset. If there is any reason to stay with the Bold 9900 series, the trackpad is it. There is no substitute. The Q10 is tremendous in its own right, but the combination of physical keyboard, toolbelt, and touchscreen on the Bold 9930 was by far the most versatile and adaptable user interface I have ever used on a smartphone. I sincerely hope the Classic will offer the same functionality.

I type the best on a physical keyboard, but I'm not willing to compromise screen size. Maybe a slider is what I'm really looking for. I don't know. What I do know is that I love big screens more than I love typing on a physical keyboard, and you can't have both in a smartphone. Yes, I know, "what about the Q30". Frankly, it doesn't appeal to me. A bigger, wider version of the Q10 with a larger 1:1 screen and higher resolution? I'm sure it will be a great device and a good fit for many, but it's just not what I'm looking for. So I guess I'll just have to "suffer" with the Z30's virtual keyboard. I say "suffer" tongue-in-cheek, as the BB10 virtual keyboard is arguably the best virtual keyboard there is.

Thank You!

Thanks to all who participated in this thread and followed along!

I sincerely hope you aren't terribly disappointed by this abrupt end.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions I've left unanswered as best I can. Just ask!

And I will be lurking and commenting around the CB Forums, as always, so I look forward interacting with you all here!
    05-23-14 11:23 PM
    Thanks Newfangled and good luck in your new project(s)...
    Keep "being Bold" and loving "BlackBerry Forever"!
    If you ever have to apply, use your reviews as an electronic proof of your skills, you posted awsome comments and your conclusions were accurate, neutral and "true"...
    Even the video you've made was great!
    The Q10 Experiment: Using a BlackBerry Q10 for 30 Days-viel-glueck.jpg
    --- This is how many German whish good luck, although not typical ;-) ---
    I'll keep reading from you, post us some links!
    Cheers.

05-24-14 12:25 AM
    Thanks Newfangled! I enjoyed reading your reviews. The Z30 is the best BlackBerry phone on the market right now and two thumbs up for making yours a paperweight for the last month and half! Welcome back to the big screen!

CB10 Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-24-14 12:36 AM
    Thanks for the review. I was following along as well as I switched from a Z30 to a white Q10 for almost two weeks! I'm now giving my white Q10 to my sister who switched to an iPhone from and old legacy device and can't handle the ios experience, so she is great full for getting the Q10. I enjoyed the device and how quick I could type on the unit. Having said that the apps that work great on my Z30 don't cut it on the 1:1 screen ratio. I'm just to used to the 5" screen. Other than that and the certain apps not working as well on t he Q10 experience was nice. I am happy to be back on my Z30.

Posted Via my ? Z30 ?
    05-24-14 05:50 AM
    Wow thank you for the post! It really answered all of my questions on the Q10 since I was pondering of I should purchase it or not. It was really informative.

I do hope you do another experiment like this for the Q30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-24-14 06:20 AM
    Thank you, Newfangled! *applause applause!* I have really enjoyed reading your Q10 experiment posts and watching your videos. You gave it more than a fair chance - your posts were a joy to read (what a relief to read someone who naturally uses correct grammar & spelling!) and well-reasoned, and your videos were very well made. You treated the phone with respect, even when when it fell short of your needs. I'm not upset you ended the experiment early - every post you wrote was a gift. Once you realized it was not the ideal phone for you, I would not have expected you to suffer with it on principle. Contrary to many of the insistent threads in here, there is no universal "best" phone - we all choose what works best for us.

A note about the upcoming successors to the Q10, and the "One Device to Rule Them All" ideal:
    I don't recall you saying much about how the Q10 feels in your hands, versus your Z30. (I'm not talking about the screensize, I'm talking about the physical feel in the hands.) (Woops, I'd missed your 5/17 video!) I've loved having the Q10's physical keyboard, and will continue using a physical keyboard as long as I can. I never had an older BBOS device, so I don't "miss" the trackpad; however it seems that I'll probably find it useful on the upcoming Q20-Classic. My concern is that (according to thurask & those who follow the hardware tech) the innards of the Classic will likely still be based on the Q10 processor, while the much larger Q30 will get the updated faster processor. I'd like to keep up with the latest processors in a keyboarded phone, but I don't think I'll be able to hold and type on the Q30 comfortably. I have small hands, and devices like the Z30 or Samsung Note are already too big for me. I realized long ago that I'll probably always need a phone + a tablet or netbook for computing portabilty, and that's fine. The Q10 width is perfect for me, and I sincerely hope, if John Chen is as commited to keyboard phones as he says he is, that he won't put all the new fancy tech in phones made exclusively for basketball players to hold, and leave us small-handed BB keyboard devotees in the dust.

Anyway, thanks again for a most enjoyable read, and good luck to you! I very much look forward to reading more from you. You should contact Kevin M or even the heads of Mobil Nations about blogging for them occasionally - they can certainly use tech enthusiasts who write as well as you do.

The Q10 Experiment: Day 15 - I Miss My Z30, And Other Reasons Why I'm Ending This Experiment Early

I've been using a BlackBerry with a physical keyboard for 45 days now (30 days with the Bold 9930, 15 with the Q10), and it's been a great experience for me because it has helped me understand their lasting appeal among their fiercely loyal fans. The versatility and sheer speed in communication and OS navigation of these extraordinary devices has no equal. I can understand why so many have said they will own a physical QWERTY BlackBerry forever (or as long as the mobile networks will support them).

I often say that my ideal smartphone does not yet exist. The norm today for many people is to have a smartphone, tablet, and laptop/desktop in their technological arsenal. 3 separate devices - oftentimes from 3 different manufacturers with different app and OS ecosystems - that help them get things done.

I want a device that will reduce that trio to a duo - or even a solo. A device that can be used like a smartphone on the go, but also dock with a portable keyboard to have laptop functionality, and even the ability to also dock with a full-size keyboard, mouse, and monitor and drive a full desktop experience.

I've realized over the course of these experiments that I miss my Z30. I really miss it.

As much as I appreciate the physical keyboard and the overall look/feel of the Q10, I miss the large screen, battery life, and processing power of my Z30 even more.

And I think, after 2 weeks of exclusive use of the Q10, I have a good enough grasp of this device to know that.

Have I mastered the device? Absolutely not. There are so many keyboard shortcuts I haven't learned and it would take me at least another month or two to internalize them all. But this, for me, would be ultimately pointless. When it comes right down to it, the Z30 may not be my perfectly ideal device, but I know now that it is closer to my ideal than the Q10.

Other driving factors for me ending this Q10 Experiment early are that my life is getting a bit hectic, lately. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to write, blog, and make videos about tech for a living. I have much to learn about being a good writer and producing content that people are interested in, but I think I would truly enjoy that and be able to help people understand more about the technology around them.

In addition, other things are catching my interest, and I simply don't have the time or patience I would like to devote to blogging about this particular subject on as regular a basis as my Bold Experiment.

I would like to continue to make tech-related videos, though. I've really enjoyed that.

Conclusions

All that to say (and thank you for reading this entire jumbled post up to this point), here are my 3 main conclusions about the Q10:

Given the choice between a Bold 9930 and a Q10, I would choose a Q10. It's newer. It's faster. It has better app selection (especially with the ability to run Android apps). It has HDMI out, a bigger screen, a MUCH better camera, LTE, and more. It continues to get OS updates that bring enhancements and better functionality. It's just a better all-around device.

A touch screen is no substitute for a trackpad and physical buttons. It's getting closer (the hold-shift-and-swipe-to-select-text feature is AWESOME), but it's just not the same. Obviously, BlackBerry agrees, as they are bringing back the trackpad with the upcoming Classic handset. If there is any reason to stay with the Bold 9900 series, the trackpad is it. There is no substitute. The Q10 is tremendous in its own right, but the combination of physical keyboard, toolbelt, and touchscreen on the Bold 9930 was by far the most versatile and adaptable user interface I have ever used on a smartphone. I sincerely hope the Classic will offer the same functionality.

I type the best on a physical keyboard, but I'm not willing to compromise screen size. Maybe a slider is what I'm really looking for. I don't know. What I do know is that I love big screens more than I love typing on a physical keyboard, and you can't have both in a smartphone. Yes, I know, "what about the Q30". Frankly, it doesn't appeal to me. A bigger, wider version of the Q10 with a larger 1:1 screen and higher resolution? I'm sure it will be a great device and a good fit for many, but it's just not what I'm looking for. So I guess I'll just have to "suffer" with the Z30's virtual keyboard. I say "suffer" tongue-in-cheek, as the BB10 virtual keyboard is arguably the best virtual keyboard there is.

Thank You!

Thanks to all who participated in this thread and followed along!

I sincerely hope you aren't terribly disappointed by this abrupt end.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions I've left unanswered as best I can. Just ask!

And I will be lurking and commenting around the CB Forums, as always, so I look forward interacting with you all here!
    Last edited by Ragbert; 05-24-14 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Just watched a video I'd missed!
    05-24-14 06:38 AM
    great write-up Sir, #NewFangledForPres!

Posted via CB/Q10
    05-24-14 09:01 AM
169 ... 34567