04-17-13 12:37 PM
32 12
tools
    "I'm sure if there's enough demand, some third party can manufacture a battery and cover combo that's fused together and provides charging contacts, just like the Wii rechargeable battery pack."

I wouldn't recommend that. If the cover and the battery are a unit, any force on the cover will put pressure on the battery contacts with the phone. Not good. As someone who has done industrial design with batteries - including rather big ones - it's best to have your battery as floating as possible.In a laptop there is room to suspend the cells in the battery box so that there is no force on them, but there is very little room in a phone. You could end up with rather a large lump, which also makes the phone more likely to suffer damage if dropped.
    I am sure RIM considered everything at the design stage and then came up with an optimised design because, you know, their designs are actually very good. It's just that, unlike certain fruity companies (and now HTC) they design for durability and ease of maintenance.
    04-17-13 09:19 AM
    I don't know why when your making a new product with new innovations ,why would you leave out the best of the best options. I would think you would carry the good improvements into the new device as well
    jegs2 likes this.
    04-17-13 09:30 AM
    Can NFC provide some sort of supper magic charging?
    04-17-13 10:20 AM
    I don't know why when your making a new product with new innovations ,why would you leave out the best of the best options. I would think you would carry the good improvements into the new device as well
    Put simply, some new features add size and/or weight, and use more power. Not everybody wants a big, heavy product that has to be charged every day.
    The same with cameras. There used to be a saying among professionals "The best camera for the job is the one you actually have with you". Architectural cameras can do amazing things with their tilt and shift movements, and produce extraordinary image quality, but few people will lug around a 20lb carrying case all the time. Even an SLR is too big for most people, so they settle for a point and shoot with a collapsing lens. It's good enough.

Let's say I want to produce the perfect communicator for someone on the road. I want light weight, durability, good battery life and excellent comms functions.
    Big screen? Adds weight and is more fragile. Uses more power. And the target user has a tablet or a laptop anyway.
    Wireless charging? Nice, but adds a coil and some control components (weight). Also might interfere with NFC, so the case would have to be bigger. And the user doesn't want to carry a wireless dock everywhere. (more weight)
    Amazing (for a phone) camera? Good idea but it will be bigger and thicker than a more basic one, so the phone will have a lump. And the target user doesn't care because (a) he or she may have it disabled for security reasons or (b) only uses it to copy business cards etc.
    Slider? I've gone off sliders. Too heavy and too thick, and it's impossible to design a really good waterproof case for them.

So one person's nice to have is another person's unwanted bloat. Even a Harley doesn't have air conditioning.
    04-17-13 10:27 AM
    They already did make the q10 larger,I'm sure they could have snuck the bottom chargers and another side button on there. They also left out some software things regarding emails and the option to delete only on handheld while remaining on the pc and server. Was a good way to screen mails spam from getting to your computer.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-17-13 11:48 AM
    This has been discussed in a few other threads, and NOBODY has ever claimed to have seen charging contacts on the bottom of a Q10, so there most likely won't be any. Which pisses me off, because I really don't want to be fumbling to unplug my phone when I get a call at 3:00 AM - a cradle like I use for my 9930 is so much easier.

Having said that, I'm still gonna buy a Q10 as soon as it hit Verizon, and hopefully in white!
    Okay, well maybe the second generation of the Q-10 will bring them back.
    04-17-13 12:14 PM
    Okay, well maybe the second generation of the Q-10 will bring them back.
    And plugging in the charger wire over and over does mess up the plug on the phone.
    Been there done that. I thought we were advancing. Lol
    04-17-13 12:37 PM
32 12