Does anyone here know if the Q10 will have charging contacts like the 9900/9930. Any insight on the matter would be much appreciated.

Posted Securely Via My BlackBerry Z10
    04-07-13 01:39 AM
    From whats available or leaked so far this is looking like a no although I hope im wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    04-07-13 02:57 AM
    Sadly it doesn't look like they're there. Not quite sure why BB would take something like that out.
    04-07-13 03:38 AM
    I haven't noticed any charging contacts on the leaked videos/reviews.
    04-07-13 08:46 AM
    This has been discussed in a few other threads, and NOBODY has ever claimed to have seen charging contacts on the bottom of a Q10, so there most likely won't be any. Which pisses me off, because I really don't want to be fumbling to unplug my phone when I get a call at 3:00 AM - a cradle like I use for my 9930 is so much easier.

Having said that, I'm still gonna buy a Q10 as soon as it hit Verizon, and hopefully in white!
    Jake Storm likes this.
    04-07-13 09:04 AM
    This has been discussed in a few other threads, and NOBODY has ever claimed to have seen charging contacts on the bottom of a Q10, so there most likely won't be any. Which pisses me off, because I really don't want to be fumbling to unplug my phone when I get a call at 3:00 AM - a cradle like I use for my 9930 is so much easier.

Having said that, I'm still gonna buy a Q10 as soon as it hit Verizon, and hopefully in white!
    I definitely know exactly what you're talking about. I had the same setup with my 9930. The cradle by my bedside was unmatched. I'm just hoping that in a future update they can make it possible to have it put itself into bedside mode like the Legacy's.

04-07-13 09:26 AM
    Just a theory: While the Q10 on its own won't have charging contacts, would it be possible to manufacture a third party battery and accompanying back cover that allows for the charging contacts?

On my Nintendo Wii, the wii-mote controllers use AA batteries and a plastic battery door by default, but I bought an accessory that replaces both the batteries and the door with a large rechargeable battery pack that of course has contact points to use on a cradle-style charger.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    04-07-13 09:29 AM
    Just a theory: While the Q10 on its own won't have charging contacts, would it be possible to manufacture a third party battery and accompanying back cover that allows for the charging contacts?

On my Nintendo Wii, the wii-mote controllers use AA batteries and a plastic battery door by default, but I bought an accessory that replaces both the batteries and the door with a large rechargeable battery pack that of course has contact points to use on a cradle-style charger.
    Completely feasible. Would absolutely love to see a third party make that. Would pay anything for that for my Z10.

04-07-13 10:51 AM
    Does anyone here know if the Q10 will have charging contacts like the 9900/9930. Any insight on the matter would be much appreciated.

There were a lot of threads re: the Z10 not having charging contacts, and therefore unable to use a charging stand...

Then, I believe, BB brought out a charging stand (that uses the micro-USB port to charge) - am I hallucinating? Can somebody please confirm that this is the case (or not)

Surely, the Q10 will have a similar style of charging stand to the Z10?

Is the Z10 charging stand Landscape or Portrait? I cannot see how a Landscape (eg lying on it's side) charging stand would work for the Q10 if you want to dial a number when the phone is on the stand. My 9900 (and previous Bolds) spend most of their time (whilst I am in my offices) in their charging stands - my calls are handsfree, and I dial with the phone still in the charging stand....

Am I hallucinating - please can somebody confirm re: Z10 Charging Stand

Thanks

Alex
    04-07-13 11:02 AM
    There will not be any charging stand from Blackberry. You will have to plug in the cable.
    Or buy a third party stand that puts the device in landscape. Total useless with qwerty keyboard.

It's confirmed by Blackberry

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-07-13 11:50 AM
    There will not be any charging stand from Blackberry. You will have to plug in the cable.
    Or buy a third party stand that puts the device in landscape. Total useless with qwerty keyboard.

It's confirmed by Blackberry

Posted via CB10
    That sucks.

04-07-13 11:57 AM
    Maybe powermat or the qi alliance can come through with a wireless setup this time. They left out the 9900/9930 all together.
    04-10-13 01:54 AM
    This was stupid decision to remove them

Posted via CB10
    04-10-13 09:48 AM
    They never worked that well on my 9900 anyway... 9700/9780 was great and never failed but there was never a firm grip on my 9900 and occasionally I would dock it with the pins not aligned and wake up with a dead or almost dead phone battery. I'll buy a docking solution for the Q10 as long as it's high quality and, hopefully, spares the usb port from wear and tear.
    04-11-13 11:39 AM
    There were a lot of threads re: the Z10 not having charging contacts, and therefore unable to use a charging stand...

Then, I believe, BB brought out a charging stand (that uses the micro-USB port to charge) - am I hallucinating? Can somebody please confirm that this is the case (or not)

Surely, the Q10 will have a similar style of charging stand to the Z10?

Is the Z10 charging stand Landscape or Portrait? I cannot see how a Landscape (eg lying on it's side) charging stand would work for the Q10 if you want to dial a number when the phone is on the stand. My 9900 (and previous Bolds) spend most of their time (whilst I am in my offices) in their charging stands - my calls are handsfree, and I dial with the phone still in the charging stand....

Am I hallucinating - please can somebody confirm re: Z10 Charging Stand

Thanks

Alex
    You mean the multimedia hub. http://m.clove.co.uk/blackberry-z10-multimedia-pod

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-12-13 07:27 AM

I'm hoping what I see at the bottom is a charging connector for the dock. I used to be able to steal some quick juice for my phone for a few seconds everytime. My Z10 battery just sucks without cradle :/ and you don't want to plug it in so much since it'd damaged the micro USB connector and wear out overtime :/
    04-15-13 12:31 AM
    http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo..._landscape.jpg

I'm hoping what I see at the bottom is a charging connector for the dock. I used to be able to steal some quick juice for my phone for a few seconds everytime. My Z10 battery just sucks without cradle :/ and you don't want to plug it in so much since it'd damaged the micro USB connector and wear out overtime :/
    That would be the speaker
    mona5804 likes this.
    04-15-13 12:49 AM
    I was hoping the Q10 would have the contacts on the back. I have an old 9630 and it was so easy just to drop it into the cradle to charge and grab the phone in a flash to use it. No hassle with cords.
    04-15-13 01:01 AM
    And I hope to being able to use the Q10 with a snap-in-adapter from BMW ( (if available, I hope so!) without problems. In my opinion, this should be much easier with this charging contacts instead of the usb-plugin-adapter.

So, any ideas?

Daniel
    04-15-13 03:45 PM
    I agree it was extremely cool just dropping my past 9780 right in the stand-up charger. Made BlackBerry very suave. Hope they bring that back for future BB 10 devices. And it would go right in clock mode. That was really nifty.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-15-13 03:57 PM
    Yes, this was a big pleasure with the 9700 and 9780.
    Looking back to this because my 9790 is not as fine as this models in the charger. And the charger station doesn't look as well and stable as before. Not good. Hope for better things with the new devices!
    04-15-13 04:09 PM
    I wish they just would have introduced wireless charging like Nokia did, this way BBRY could've also created a decent docking station, where you can just rest your Q10 over night in bedside mode
    luddite2 likes this.
    04-15-13 04:11 PM
    I'm sure if there's enough demand, some third party can manufacture a battery and cover combo that's fused together and provides charging contacts, just like the Wii rechargeable battery pack.
    04-15-13 06:14 PM
    http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo..._landscape.jpg

That hole is the speaker. Same on Z10 but smaller.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 08:35 AM
    :/ and you don't want to plug it in so much since it'd damaged the micro USB connector and wear out overtime :/

The micro USB connector is designed for a life of, I think, at least 10000 connect/disconnect cycles. That is 2 plug ins a day for 14 years. I would really have liked to see the Playbook magnetic charging socket on the Q10, but wireless charging would make the phone thicker and heavier, since it doesn't have the sheer area of the SIII or Nokia 920 to hold all those coils side by side. Remember NFC has to be included as well.
    One thing to remember with micro USB is to get the best quality USB cables you can - this is one place where no-name cables are a bad idea.
    Last edited by kupfernigk; 04-17-13 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Missed reference to PP
    04-17-13 09:13 AM
32 12