I understand that current reviews of the Q10 have had little to no time to fully test the device but I am wondering why there are such mixed reviews when it comes to battery life.

I have been holding out for the Q10 partly due to the fact that I like not having to worry about making it through a long day with a single charge. Just like many of you I assumed the bigger battery with a smaller screen would lead to excellent battery life for the Q10....

However some reviews have been saying the battery life is average and comparing it to the Z10 I am wondering if these are just quick judgments made without fully testing the phone or somehow the bigger battery does not lead to better battery life. Any ideas?

Is there a standard on which all smartphones are tested when it comes to battery life?
    04-24-13 07:35 PM
    IMO, battery life will vary from user to user. With my type of usage the battery on my 9900 lasts me 1 day and 1/2 easily. I am quite sure that when I get the Q10 the battery will not last as long for a few weeks until I get to my "normal" usage. The first few weeks of getting a phone most of us will not let the phone down therefore the battery will die quicker, lets be serious, my car is rated at 31 MPG's but if I floor it for a few hours I will ultimately get 10 MPG's and that is not to say that the car is not good (just saying). To answer your question, I think that the standard for smartphones and their battery life rating is based on "normal usage" and not "power usage". Good question OP
    04-24-13 08:05 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, LED displays uses less power to display black, but uses more to display white. This might be a factor.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 09:14 PM
    I was thinking the same thing Abrante. Most reviewers probably get skewed results because they are testing the phones other components (apps, phone calls, browsing, etc.) non stop while testing battery life. Which really isn't a realistic battery test because any phone will drain if you keep it running non stop for an extended period of time.

I just feel like there should be some exact standard test by which all phones are judged. Video playback and talk time are decent comparisons but most people will never use their phone from a full charge until dead on one phone call or video.
    04-24-13 09:52 PM
    Battery life obviously depends on usage. when you purchased a new smartphone, you tend to put it to all sort of exploratory test, downloading apps, games, playing with it, and battery life for sure will be short. Once you settled in with your phone and have a more normalized usage your battery life will improve. Comparing Q10 with Z10, it has a larger battery, a smaller screen, a more optimized OS, there us no reason to believe its battery life is on par with Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 09:53 PM
    Can we get real data? Is anyone able to find professional advice on Internet?
    04-25-13 12:52 PM
    The review that BGR did on the Q10 was other than praise-worthy....
    ...But he did mention that he was VERY impressed with the battery life.

"Touching on the battery real quick, it performed great. Standby time was impressive, and it powered through days of on and off usage without a hitch. Phone calling also worked quite well, with loud and clear calls, and a great speakerphone"

NOTE: the plural in day(s)!

BlackBerry Q10 review | BGR

If we take that comment from a known hard-azz on blackberry devices and combine that with what our fearless Crackberry Nation leader said in his write up - I'm thinking that the battery life in the Q10 will really be amazing. Let's just hope BBRY can un-tater it's email issues and the majority of the problems that belfastpitcher has done such a good job documenting!
    04-25-13 01:03 PM
    Agreed on battery life standard tests across all tech sites or across the world

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 01:06 PM
    I have a Dev Alpha C - near if not final hardware, with the leaked 10.1 full OS. I have 6 email accounts, plus Facebook and Twitter installed. Came off the charger at 8:00am on 23rd April, Low Battery was at 8:00pm on the 24th April, so 36 hours later. I'd used the phone at lunch, made several calls and left it on the lockscreen all night. The battery is 1800mah in the Dev Alpha C and the real Q10 is even bigger. I personally don't see 2 working days battery life being a problem.
    lyles, tbone31mac58 and dmlis like this.
    04-25-13 01:08 PM
    Hi All,

I would like to share my experience. I just bought the Q10 one weeks ago. And I suffer with the battery. I charge the battery full at 12.40 am and on 7 am the battery is remaining around 80 percent in standby mode.

The second trial, I charge the battery at 11.00 am full and at 7 am I found the battery remain 60 percent in standby mode. And if you use the application it worst.

And even my I phone could decrease around 5 to 10 percent. Based on the review of Gsmarena. Q10 battery it should be better than I phone.

Anyone could help me? Is it the battery defects or what?

Thank you in advanced

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 08:55 PM
    Hi All,

I would like to share my experience. I just bought the Q10 one weeks ago. And I suffer with the battery. I charge the battery full at 12.40 am and on 7 am the battery is remaining around 80 percent in standby mode.

The second trial, I charge the battery at 11.00 am full and at 7 am I found the battery remain 60 percent in standby mode. And if you use the application it worst.

And even my I phone could decrease around 5 to 10 percent. Based on the review of Gsmarena. Q10 battery it should be better than I phone.

Anyone could help me? Is it the battery defects or what?

Thank you in advanced

Posted via CB10

If you're not using it overnight, shut it off.

When the phone is idle, make sure you don't have unnecessary things running (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, apps and etc).

Put screen time-out to 10 seconds.

I don't have auto-update for any of my apps. (Yes, even the CB app)

I end up with 40-60% at the end of my day. I've had the phone for 12 days now.
    08-09-13 09:28 PM
    My two cents: I just recently don't shut off anything and I never turn my phone off I leave it on the charger all night every night and I'm getting great battery life.

Ps: I'm on a leaked OS

Posted with a Q10 on CB10/10.2.0.1047/ Thanks to berry leaks
    08-09-13 10:40 PM
    I haven't had the phone for quite 2 weeks but I have only charged it three times. Then again, I rarely use my phone. The most recent charge lasted almost a week. By then I was done with fiddling with the phone and getting things set up on it.
    08-09-13 10:46 PM
    When I first got my Q10 over a month ago the first week or so the battery life was okay, with downloading apps, and using the phone 24/7 it is to be expected, but now with having had the phone for over a month I can safely say that I am making it through the day with heavy to very heavy useage, I use my phone today for texting/bbm for about 3hrs total, phone calls for 2hrs+, CB app, some music for a few minutes, emails, twitter for about 40mins total, and youtube videos and right now from about 12hrs I have 20% and still going, great battery life

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 11:04 PM
    Q10 Battery life-img_00000273.png
    My battery app confirms what I felt even if i'm using it massively.
    Even at home i ditched the ipad despite its larger display for the Q10 since i really enjoy its keyboard and multitasking skills: a phablet Q30 would fulfill all my needs...
    well...technologically speaking

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    08-11-13 09:19 AM
    I've read that the 10.1 MR has greatly increased battery life for the z10s. Any q10 owners care to comment on their battery life experience with 10.1 MR?

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 05:32 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000273.png 
Views:	410 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	191614
    My battery app confirms what I felt even if i'm using it massively.
    Even at home i ditched the ipad despite its larger display for the Q10 since i really enjoy its keyboard and multitasking skills: a phablet Q30 would fulfill all my needs...
    well...technologically speaking

Posted via CB10
    what is the name of that app?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 in Germany
    08-11-13 05:51 PM
    BX Battery info
    there's a free and a premium app

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 05:54 PM