01-26-18 07:15 AM
28 12
tools
    My Q10 has done great until now.

It was fully charged the night before. Then the next morning it would not boot up unless it was plugged in. Once plugged in it booted fine and showed the battery at about 50% charge level. I recharged it fully and it started draining the battery faster than normal.

I put in a new battery and fully charged it. Then the Q10 started draining this new battery way faster than normal.

I have virtually no apps on my Q10 as I run it lean and clean. Location services are turned off. Blue tooth and networking are on.

What is recommended as a remedy?

Thanks!

. . . . . Pete
    09-19-17 08:21 PM
    Is the System CPU usage percentage high? And it would drop to a reasonable amount after a reboot, but then shoot up again at some point, roughly around the same time each day? When one of my BB10 devices would drain the battery fast, those are the conditions I would see. Basically, the System is doing something, but it's unknown what that is since System doesn't report all the little tasks it's doing. My guess was that it was getting stuck trying to access some BlackBerry service over the internet. Anyway, one thing to try is to remove the battery and leave it out of the Q10 overnight to 24 hrs., then put it back in. The Q10 will be drained of any power saved in capacitors and be fully reset.
    09-19-17 09:17 PM
    c, thank you for responding.

What you say is what I was thinking also; however, I didn't know what to do. I did a reset using the volume buttons.

I've now recharged it completely and will see what I find in the morning.

The only _somewhat_ unusual internet usage was I did use m.uber.com a couple of times for Uber rides but closed out of the browser normally.

Your idea of removing the battery for a long time would seem to make sense...unless someone else suggests something less taxing.

. . . . . Pete
    09-19-17 09:29 PM
    When my BB10 devices would get into this situation, a reset with the volume buttons, powering off/on, only solved the problem for a short while. The main thing I noticed was that the System CPU usage would shoot up pretty consistently at a certain time of day, like 10 PM for instance, and be high until the battery drained. Internet usage did not increase over this time. It's like it tried once to access something, failed, and then hung in some state.
    09-20-17 12:31 PM
    c, I'm about midway through a 24-hour interval with the battery out...and keeping my fingers crossed.

If the problem persists, I guess the next step is to try a security wipe, do you agree?

. . . . Pete
    09-20-17 06:06 PM
    I suppose, but I didn't have to go that far. Hopefully you won't either.

If you do the security wipe, don't do the 10 failed attempts or select security wipe in Settings. This will force the phone to wipe out the data first and then restart clean, but the wipe out the data part could take a whole day. If you've already committed to losing the data, it's probably faster just to reload the OS via autoloader or other method.
    09-20-17 06:16 PM
    c, thanks again for the dialogue.

I'm not "committed" to anything but I had no idea the security wipe in settings is problematic. Frankly, I don't remember how to do the autoloader.

What might you suggest other than a security wipe if the battery removal doesn't prove to be the remedy?

. . . . . . Pete
    09-20-17 08:23 PM
    Run virtual expert and see how the battery is.. perhaps your battery is at it's end. Battery only last for 3-4 yrs depending on how you use it.
    09-20-17 08:25 PM
    Security wipe would work, but it's just slow. BlackBerry is very aggressive in the wipe, writing random data into memory to truly wipe it, before restarting the device.

You can search "blackberry autoloader" and see if it's something you'll be able to manage, but if ultimately you want something like a security wipe, you can use BlackBerry's, just know that it'll be slow.
    09-20-17 08:41 PM
    Run virtual expert and see how the battery is.. perhaps your battery is at it's end. Battery only last for 3-4 yrs depending on how you use it.
    He has both an old battery and a new battery.
    09-20-17 08:43 PM
    Yes, the problem appears to be identical with the older battery (which is not very old) and the newer battery. Of course, having said that, I don't really know the provenance of the two batteries fairly recently obtained from different sources.

It sounds like if the battery removal doesn't work, then no other remedy is mentionable than the security wipe.

Is this problem ever caused by some type of hardware issue e.g. a short?

. . . . . Pete
    09-20-17 09:40 PM
    After the 24-hour interval with the battery removed, once the battery was placed back in the Q10 it would only boot when plugged in with the charger, this despite the fact the battery charge indicator says battery is 88% charged.

Does this suggest a weak battery? Or is it some other problem?

. . . . . Pete
    09-21-17 10:44 AM
    Virtual expert i think tells you battery condition. Not always accurate but could be easily obtained. there was an old battery app that does more and tells you ratio of life left etc.. i.e. 60% left and how many cycles. Battery EX? maybe.. I forgot. BB10 is like ancient memories, hard to recall.
    09-21-17 11:35 AM
    After the 24-hour interval with the battery removed, once the battery was placed back in the Q10 it would only boot when plugged in with the charger, this despite the fact the battery charge indicator says battery is 88% charged.

Does this suggest a weak battery? Or is it some other problem?
    Hmm. I haven't experienced that before. After you get it to boot with the charger, will it work/stay on with the battery?

Rapid charging and discharging of the battery sometimes indicates that the battery has reached its lifetime limit. Since you've swapped in a new battery and still have the rapid drain issue, it could have been something with the OS. Did you see the System CPU load go really high for a long period of time? The 24-hour thing solved that case for me.

Another case I've seen, where after a security wipe, the Q10 would not boot, just flashing the LED red a few times. This kinda sounds like your current situation? For this case, it was also solved by leaving the battery out for 24-hours. After putting in the battery, you could also try a hard reset, volume keys held for 15+ seconds.
    09-21-17 12:29 PM
    My Q was getting really hot and draining somewhat quick. What I did was go into android settings (I have Nova launcher installed and I access android that way) and turn on airplane mode. This does not affect the OS's ability to access any of the radios. After doing this, battery life is back to normal and it's not overheating.
    09-21-17 12:55 PM
    c, I've now tried 3 different batteries and it won't boot from any of them...only with a charger.

I tried the hard reset with no change.

I suspect the battery will still drain faster than it should but haven't confirmed this fact yet.

Otherwise, the phone seems to work fine.

Should I be looking to a new phone or reloading the OS or what?

Any thoughts or remedies?

Thanks!

. . . . Pete
    09-21-17 01:17 PM
    I guess your options might be:

1. Buy a new battery, hopefully from some source that has a high sell rate so you can be assured the battery was manufactured recently. Lithium Ion batteries start to decay as soon as they're manufactured. If your batteries are 2+ years, they've probably lost their effectiveness. Usually they'll charge much faster than normal and drain much faster than normal. Since you indicated that it's pretty much the drain that's fast, I was wondering if the issue was with System CPU usage being high. Have you noticed that?

2. Reload the OS, which effectively is a security wipe. If you're going to do this, make sure you backup everything first. Some apps don't allow backing up of their data, so be prepared to lose something in those cases.

Since the Q10 seems to work fine, it's not sounding like the Q10 hardware is the issue. (It would have been nice to test the batteries in another Q10, to see if it's your Q10 or the batteries. If the batteries worked fine, then it actually is your Q10 and it needs replacement. Thankfully it would be a cheap replacement if you're just looking for another Q10.)
    09-21-17 01:41 PM
    I was wondering if the issue was with System CPU usage being high. Have you noticed that?
    c, don't know how I would observe that. I haven't noticed any anomalies with its normal functioning (after booting) except the faster than normal battery drain.

Also, I don't know where I would get a certain-to-be new Q10 battery. The 3 I tried I got fairly recently on eBay.

. . . . . Pete
    09-21-17 01:46 PM
    Settings->App Manager->Device Monitor, then three bars menu to see the various stats. (You may have a Quick Settings to Device Monitor when you pull down the menu from the top. If so, just select Device Monitor.)

Also, you said your Q10 is pretty bare-bones in terms of apps, but do any of those apps include Android ones?
    09-21-17 02:09 PM
    I don't believe I've ever even tried to load an Android app. The only apps I can think of are the ones for my bank, Endomondo, Password Keeper. I use Uber via the browser.

. . . . Pete
    09-21-17 03:44 PM
    I don't believe I've ever even tried to load an Android app. The only apps I can think of are the ones for my bank, Endomondo, Password Keeper. I use Uber via the browser.
    Some Android apps made it into BlackBerry World and run on the built-in Android Runtime. From a freshly rebooted BB10 device, when you launch one of these, you'll see a black screen with a progress bar loading the Android Runtime before the app loads. After that, subsequent Android apps will not show a black screen with progress bar, as the Android Runtime is already running.

There used to be an app in BlackBerry World called simply, Task Manager, that let you see the tasks and kill them. I don't know what people are using these days. Task Manager made it really easy to kill background Android apps that may be draining the battery.

The bank app might be one of those, and perhaps Endomondo.
    09-21-17 05:07 PM
    c, when I look at the Device Manager, the only CPU usage that stays active is the System and Home Screen.

The couple of apps have been on the phone forever and never caused problems. No new apps!

I'm going to try to find a reliably new battery unless you or someone can suggest something else.

Thanks!

. . . . Pete
    09-21-17 05:16 PM
    System should stay under 10%. The history can show you up to 48 hours. Keep an eye on it. What happened to me was System would spike up a lot and stay there, fluctuating a bit, but still way above 10%. Eventually that would drain the battery.

Since security wipe or OS reload is such an expensive task, I wanted to check all possibilities, including the Android Runtime. If it was the Android Runtime, you can get a task manager and kill all background tasks every once and a while.

Yeah, I can't think of anything else within my experience with BB10...

Good luck!
    09-21-17 05:36 PM
    My Q10 has done great until now.

It was fully charged the night before. Then the next morning it would not boot up unless it was plugged in. Once plugged in it booted fine and showed the battery at about 50% charge level. I recharged it fully and it started draining the battery faster than normal.

I put in a new battery and fully charged it. Then the Q10 started draining this new battery way faster than normal.

I have virtually no apps on my Q10 as I run it lean and clean. Location services are turned off. Blue tooth and networking are on.

What is recommended as a remedy?

Thanks!

. . . . . Pete
    01-15-18 08:59 AM
    Dont put electroconductive substance on phone and do not carry phone near beach frequently. This causes minor short circuits and therefore drains battery. So try a full hardware cleanup from a responsible phone shop. They will cleaup these useless substances. Turning on data services probably consume more power. All the best.
    01-15-18 09:05 AM
28 12