What in the hell is blackberry thinking? This is the same **** they have done over the past several years that got them in the position they are now in. They are proving they have learned absolutely nothing from their past mistakes.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...-on-may-1.html

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Admorris; 04-23-13 at 06:55 PM.
    04-23-13 06:39 PM
    Providing a link or something of where you saw the price would help make more sense of your post.

Also, I'm assuming this is the price from the carrier in your region... remember. Carriers make the final call for the price on-contract for these devices.
    04-23-13 06:49 PM
    A rumor of a price of $249...clearly this negates all positive steps taken by bbry and illustrates without question that nothing they do now is different in any way from everything they did in the past. Hurry, someone notify the cellphone police. Oh the morality.
    hpjrt and lang007 like this.
    04-23-13 06:59 PM
    A rumor of a price of $249...clearly this negates all positive steps taken by bbry and illustrates without question that nothing they do now is different in any way from everything they did in the past. Hurry, someone notify the cellphone police. Oh the morality.
    Take a look at the comments section... BB is getting hammered for this brain dead move (as they should)

04-23-13 07:01 PM
    As a shareholder I've got no problem with it at all. If the market justifies the price then selling cheaper just leaves money on the table.

Tell me what I'm missing here.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 07:07 PM
    I actually don't think it is that bad of a move. The majority of BlackBerry users are physical keyboard users. I prefer the keyboard myself. The only reason i bought the z10 was because it came out first and it was a BlackBerry phone. Sell the first device cheaper for 200 bucks to get em in people's hands and to create hype for the new operating system then bring out what your core users have been waiting for. I would have gladly paid the extra 50 bucks for the q10 without thinking twice about it had they came out at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID, rotorwrench and ml19 like this.
    04-23-13 07:08 PM
    If you are in the market for a qwerty, then what is your alternative? I have yet to see a nice KB other than BlackBerry. People will buy this.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 07:09 PM
    I think we've all established that for BB to be considered successful, they really need to tap in to Android and apple users. Who on earth is going to consider a BB that is more expensive than arguably the best phones ever created to date (s4, HTC One). People on this site may be fine with paying that kind of price, but I'm thinking android and apple customers won't even pick it up.

04-23-13 07:11 PM
    Nice gesture to loyal customers. And we'll all bend over and take it. Really frustrating.
    cckgz4 and robitaille93 like this.
    04-23-13 07:13 PM
    As a shareholder I've got no problem with it at all. If the market justifies the price then selling cheaper just leaves money on the table.

Tell me what I'm missing here.

Posted via CB10
    This. This phone is going to sell well at first. Blackberry is in the business of selling phones at for a profit. It won't stay at this price.

From my Z10
    travaz and lang007 like this.
    04-23-13 07:14 PM
    I'm pretty sure the z10 was created to pull those people. If those people are primarily used to using touchscreens why would they buy a phone with a keyboard ?

Posted via CB10
    brout and coldRooster like this.
    04-23-13 07:14 PM
    I would also say that the majority of physical keyboard users are coming from companies who purchase large quantities of handsets and who are much less price sensitive than the consumer market.

I have faith they did their homework on this one and outweighed the opportunity cost of a lost customer against the additional value they receive by pricing their product at premium levels. No one else makes a high quality physical keyboard close to BlackBerry so why don't you price your product like you own the market?

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and rotorwrench like this.
    04-23-13 07:20 PM
    I think we've all established that for BB to be considered successful, they really need to tap in to Android and apple users. Who on earth is going to consider a BB that is more expensive than arguably the best phones ever created to date (s4, HTC One). People on this site may be fine with paying that kind of price, but I'm thinking android and apple customers won't even pick it up.

Well the Z10 is on contact at 99$! Isn't that low enough?

Starting it at 250$ is perfect. They are banking on early adopter who will pay premium price to get the Q10. Those that can't afford or don't want to pay that much can get the Z10 or the rumoured R10.

You don't want to start the prince too low! You won't have room to go lower! It's product cycle 101.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-13 07:21 PM
    There is so much fail in that pricing.. I wonder what the off contract price will be?

BBRY has officially lost their damn minds!

lang007 and robitaille93 like this.
    04-23-13 07:32 PM
    The economics in play are obvious and correct. From a business stand point, it's certainly logical. And I'll be paying it without hesitation.

But it's still a kick to the nuts punishment for loyalty. That's 267 bucks after taxes for me. Large enough difference in price that I'm allowed to be a little ticked off at it while at the same time acknowledging I understand why it's priced that way.
    cckgz4 and anon(1852343) like this.
    04-23-13 07:33 PM
    I don't think I agree with the price, I'm waiting for this phone because I love the Bolds. I have Sprint and I don't know if I can justify spending this much on a phone, wish they would at least try to compete price wise, not every Bold user is a high end busines exec. , just a loley construction worker with a mortgage and 4 kids, don't really want to wait for a lower end device...this is a little frustrating. But, I will prob splurge and pay it, I can't ever see me using another brand again. Just wish the loyal buyers didn't have to take it in the shorts this way, just an opinion...
    04-23-13 07:33 PM
    Cellphone market is becoming more and more geared toward making early adopters pay. The price will not stay at $250 on contract. It'll stay for the first month or two in order to get all of the people that don't care about price to pay a premium then it will drop very quickly.

It's like a less extreme version of what happens with videogames. They launch at $60 but many of them (especially from EA) can be found as low as $30 a month later. With cellphones it takes about a year for them to go for half price (see Galaxy S3).

If you are okay with waiting a month or two to save a hundred, do it. BlackBerry is a company. It has no "loyalty" to you. If you waited for this phone and cannot wait anymore they will turn that impatience into an extra $100 for themselves.
    travaz, brout and ppeters914 like this.
    04-23-13 07:36 PM
    Horrible price point Imo.
    I can get the Iphone, HTC one, sIII, and s4 all which have superior entertainment and productivity apps for the same price or less... The Q10 looks like a nice device and all but for that price I expect many people in the US to pass.
    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    cckgz4, lang007 and Rello like this.
    04-23-13 07:36 PM
    But the US buyers are only locked in for 2 years but us Canucks are locked in for 3 years. I'd rather be locked in for 2 years and pay only $50 more.

Posted via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-23-13 07:41 PM
    I can get the Iphone, HTC one, sIII, and s4 all which have superior entertainment and productivity apps for the same price or less... The Q10 looks like a nice device and all but for that price I expect many people in the US to pass.
    But none of those have a QWERTY keyboard. And that fact right there -- is the point.
    And you can get the Z10 for 99$! So i don't think it's an issue for BlackBerry to price it at 250 $

Posted via CB10
    I don't know much about who has authority over the price of subsidized phone with contracts, but I was under the impression that the carriers actually get to choose those while Blackberry chooses the off contract price. Though, that doesn't mean we can all point the finger at the carriers; if Blackberry is charging a premium for the Q10 off contract, then that could also be where the extra $50 is coming from.
    Its pretty simple. If you want a qwerty phone, Q10 has the best keyboard out there so its either that or settle for something significantly worse. I know lots of iphone/android users who used to have KB blackberrys and they miss the keyboard. If they find out there is the option of an amazing qwerty phone that has the apps they want then they are more than willing to pay the price. Remember, we are on a phone website devoted to a particular company...obv our views will be different then that of the average person. The average person thinks a phone costs $199 or $249 ONLY, they dont understand the whole off contract part.

Take a look at apple's macbook or BMW! Both have small market shares but both have a very strong fanbase along with high profit margins. if Blackberry can dominate the qwerty market then they will be fine. Its not like they are the first company to do this and they certainly wont be the last.
    Supa_Fly1 and Shoryuken like this.
    04-23-13 07:43 PM
    But none of those have a QWERTY keyboard. And that fact right there -- is the point.
    Fair enough, is the KB market large enough to justify this price point? I just don't see how this will benefit BlackBerry.

sam_tek likes this.
    04-23-13 07:47 PM
    BlackBerry sells the phone to the carriers, the carriers in turn determine subsidized price as well as off contract price.

Posted via CB10
    highos, travaz and schmeat like this.
    04-23-13 07:47 PM
241 123 ...