I have been having problems with Windows 8.1 giving me the "Windows cannot access \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx even though both my phone and my laptop are connected on the sam network and I check the bb10 settings menu - about - network to make sure that the two have the same IP address.

Sometimes, I can connect after about five tries and I can sync the files.

Why is this happening? I do not have a proxy server so my IP address stays the same.

And when I first got my phone, I could access my phone using wifi after the first try.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

PS: My "access to storage" setting usb connection already has Windows as priority. And my mass storage setting is off.
    04-21-14 01:59 PM
    Maybe a problem with windows 8.1?
    04-21-14 02:23 PM
    It is a possibility as Windows 8.1 Update1 was released just a week ago.

However, no way of knowing it completely.

There has got to be more people on Windows 8.1 here.
    04-21-14 02:25 PM
    Are you saying both your phone and laptop have the same IP address? Or am I misreading that.
    skstrials likes this.
    04-21-14 02:28 PM
    Are you saying both your phone and laptop have the same IP address? Or am I misreading that.
    Okay what I meant was that the IPv4 numbers from Settings - about - network on my Q10 matches the information that I have written for the shortcut menu on my Windows laptop.
    04-21-14 02:32 PM
    my gf has windows 8.1 and she has zero problems accessing her mapped network drive of her z10 wirelessly. but then again, I set it up for her. fyi, that setting for usb connection has nothing to do with wireless access.

one thing that I do, which isn't specified anywhere, is to either create a static ip for your phone (undesireable) or reserve the ip address for your phone's mac via the router's dhcp reservation. address reservation will save you from toggling between static and dhcp in your wifi settings - this gets annoying, especially if you connect to multiple access points. it also ensures that all ip addresses always remain the same.

first thing i'd try for you, is to delete and re-add the mapping. this process will determine if you can actually access your device or not. because it looks like an ip address changed somewhere. some things to remember:

- make sure you've enabled media sharing on your phone
    - make sure you've added your PCs ip address to your list of allowed devices (dhcp reservation is also good here too) found in settings>media sharing
    - make sure access using wifi is enabled and the only thing you've changed is the workgroup (to match your PC) and the access password. I've found changing the username causes connection issues.
    - make sure your device name doesn't have weird characters. win 8.1 made me change my gfs device name to match standard network naming convention (only letters, numbers, dashes, etc)

I think that's it. good luck.
    skstrials likes this.
    04-21-14 02:55 PM