I have set my Q10 to delete messages from the Hub and the server. However when I open up my Outlook on desktop all the messages that I supposedly deleted off my BB handset are there. This never used to happen in my BB Bold and it is a very important feature for me since I get a huge volume of emails daily and do not want to go through them twice. Does anyone have a solution?
    03-17-14 01:37 PM
    What protocol (Exchange Active Sync/IMAP/POP???) are you using and what email provider? If you are not sure about the protocol then just knowing your email service provider would narrow it down.
    03-17-14 01:39 PM
    The other thing to check is your settings. Settings > Accounts > (choose the account in question) ... touch Advanced at the bottom and scroll and look at the settings. Sync Interval is the one that determines how often your device connects to your email service and synchronizes the inbox if using say -- IMAP as the protocol.

Anyway we'd need some details to help.

Thanks.
    03-17-14 01:45 PM
    Hi Southlander,

I have 3 email accounts set up. 2 are IMAP and 1 is POP. I found the sync setting. It was set at 30 minutes. Sorry I am not super technical. Does this mean that if I sent my self a test email with my outlook closed and then open it up in under 30 minutes the email would still be on the server and download. And... after 30 minutes, it would be deleted from the server and not download? If this is the case, do you recommend setting the sync at the minimum of 5 minutes?
    03-17-14 01:54 PM
    The sync time frame setting is a trade off between how often you want your messages synced and how much battery life you are getting. For example if you set it to 5 minutes and are synching A LOT of emails then you'll see shorter battery life than you will with it set to 30 mins.

But basically about syncing in general, if you are using IMAP and are looking at your phone and your Outlook client together then they will not be absolutely in sync as far as incoming emails goes, except at the actual sync intervals. But if you get a lot of emails then there will often be a mismatch. (assuming you are deleting some emails in one place or the other).

I'd try lowering your sync interval down some. Try 5 mins if you like and see how the battery holds up.
    Last edited by southlander; 03-17-14 at 02:25 PM.
    03-17-14 02:02 PM
    Oh and to answer your other question -- basically both your phone AND your Outlook client are syncing up to your email service **at different intervals**. There is no way to line the intervals up even if set the same since your BlackBerry has its own timer as does your Outlook client.

The most in synch you could have things is to set your interval on both as low as you can.

And the old BlackBerrys were different in this respect. They used a proprietary email method that did actually do immediate deletes say -- if you were using GMail as a service provider. There were downsides as well (which is really opening a can of worms here to get into).

BlackBerry 10 did away with that and replaced it with more standardized email handling as is present on iPhone and Android. So emails are synced to match the mail server, at intervals. If you used EAS as a protocol things are a bit different. But you're not.
    03-17-14 02:07 PM
    Battery life... that makes sense. I will give this another whirl but feeling a bit doubtfull as I've been coming home at the end of the day and all the emails I'd deleted from my BB downloading in Outlook and this was after several hours... I'll keep you posted. THanks for your help.
    03-17-14 02:10 PM
    Battery life... that makes sense. I will give this another whirl but feeling a bit doubtfull as I've been coming home at the end of the day and all the emails I'd deleted from my BB downloading in Outlook and this was after several hours... I'll keep you posted. THanks for your help.
    There could be another issue. We just needed some details to start things out. Good luck. Keep us updated.
    03-17-14 02:14 PM
    Also when you get home check the Outlook settings for the same email provider to make sure it is also set to IMAP. If you had accidentally set it to POP, for example while having the same account set to IMAP on your phone then that would be problematic. You'd indeed see emails in Outlook that are locally stored copies -- even if you'd deleted the emails from the server using your phone.

Just something to look at.
    03-17-14 02:29 PM