Hey guys, I read the 10.1 features of the Q10 and this line has got me a little worried:

"For example, say you want to send a quick BBM message to your friend Jim. Press the spacebar on the keyboard to initiate the Search function."

What do they mean press the spacebar?? On my Bold 9900 I just start typing. I love that. Does this mean on the Q10 you need to initiate search with the spacebar first?? I know it's only one key, but still, what would be the purpose of that? I like to eliminate as many steps as possible to get things done. Which is the exact reason why I like keyboards to be always there. Even sliders aren't my thing because you have to slide out the keyboard first...

Has anyone messed with a Q10 and can tell me if universal search or keyboard shortcuts are available from the home screen without having to press any other button first?? Thanks.
    bendiep1991 and jimmyjyc like this.
    04-05-13 07:56 PM
    Agreed! I thought that was whack when i read that aswell!
    I mainly use the universal search to call people, I just type their name in and press the call button, having to press space bar first now will suck!
    04-05-13 08:08 PM
    my guess is that the spacebar initiation is so that we have the legacy shortcuts and the universal search function in parallel instead of choosing between the 2
    04-05-13 09:02 PM
    my guess is that the spacebar initiation is so that we have the legacy shortcuts and the universal search function in parallel instead of choosing between the 2
    I hope so. Without legacy shortcuts, then there's no reason for me to have a QWERTY phone. It's what keeps me efficient.
    sibeans likes this.
    04-05-13 09:36 PM
    +1, I recall reading this somewhere. Might have even been a BlackBerry Blog post.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 12:36 AM
    Keyboard shortcuts, I use a thousand time a day, search I may use once a month.

Keyboard shortcut - keypress ALWAYS does what I want, don't even have to look. It is the primary function

Search - always have to process, can be different from one time to the other. It is useful secondary function

That being said, I think BB have made the correct choice - Keyboard shortcuts always, search needs to be initiated with a key stroke
    retomex and mermonster like this.
    04-06-13 07:17 AM
    My thoughts as well. Also...it's just one key.
    04-06-13 12:32 PM
    Keyboard shortcuts, I use a thousand time a day, search I may use once a month.

Keyboard shortcut - keypress ALWAYS does what I want, don't even have to look. It is the primary function

Search - always have to process, can be different from one time to the other. It is useful secondary function

That being said, I think BB have made the correct choice - Keyboard shortcuts always, search needs to be initiated with a key stroke
    FOR YOU, yes, this would be the better way. But don't speak for everyone. I don't really like keyboard shortcuts because sometimes I start entering my password to unlock my phone only to find out it hasn't been long enough for it to lock itself. With keyboard shortcuts this means I'll end up launching something I didn't intend to. With universal search this just means I typed some letters into universal search and I can simply press the hangup button to get back to the main screen...
    04-06-13 07:13 PM
    So the "correct" choice for BB to make is to give us the option to pick if we want universal search or keyboard shortcuts. Just because you like one better than the other is no reason to think it's "correct" to force everyone else to use the same thing. Unless you work for Apple...
    mermonster likes this.
    04-06-13 07:15 PM
    So the "correct" choice for BB to make is to give us the option to pick if we want universal search or keyboard shortcuts. Just because you like one better than the other is no reason to think it's "correct" to force everyone else to use the same thing. Unless you work for Apple...
    He did say "I think"...so he's giving his opinion, much as you are. I don't have a problem with hitting the spacebar to start u-search, but do we really need to argue over it like this? We ought to be ******** about the lack of charging contacts, and how there won't be cradles....
    04-07-13 09:18 AM
    I honestly don't like this, but it seems like a built in "Quick launch" app.

I remember having to push the convenience key and then press a letter. This seems to be very similar and minor. Honestly the only way to do this and keep the standard qwerty shortcuts.
    04-07-13 02:47 PM
    You can just start typing to search on the Q, I'm not sure what the space bar stuff is for.
    Thunderbuck and slagman5 like this.
    04-07-13 04:04 PM
    I agree...I came across this when I accidently changed the setting on my 9900 to use universal search or app shortcut if u dnt want the other then jus select the option you want...but this is only if this option is within bb10....and sorry for the REALLY BAD photo
    Attached Thumbnails Press spacebar before universal search?-uploadfromtaptalk1365376324763.jpg  
    mermonster likes this.
    04-07-13 06:13 PM
    You can just start typing to search on the Q, I'm not sure what the space bar stuff is for.
    Awesome, I saw from another post you saying that you have access to one, so I trust this is first-hand knowledge. So that puts my mind at ease. Thanks a lot. :-)
    04-07-13 06:45 PM
    Awesome, I saw from another post you saying that you have access to one, so I trust this is first-hand knowledge. So that puts my mind at ease. Thanks a lot. :-)
    Happy to help, for the first time I have an "in" so I'm trying to make the most of it lol.
    slagman5 likes this.
    04-07-13 06:53 PM